Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-09-2007   #1
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default My Game impressions

One: i know the stadium didn't look completely packed but even on the TV it sounded loud and looking to be disrupting the Cheifs offense. Good job in the seats guys and gals!

Two: Good pressure from our front four. I was really pleased with Mario's performance. I hope it's something he can build on and get a goodshot of confidence.Good performance as well from TJ. Excellent play on the int. N.D. once again solid vet leadership and good play on the field. I really think signing him was one of the best moves.

Three: Nice first game by Matt Schaub and the offense. I know leadership gets thrown around...but the thing i saw was poise. There was a few plays where he extended the play with his legs and found an open man. Never seemed rattled even after the pick. AJ...stud. Jones will be the #2 by the end of the year... it keeps looking harder and harder to keep him off the field. The thing that impressed me the most was after a long drive and a score by the cheifs that seemed t oget a little momentum. Schaub and the offense sealed the deal with a 10 minute drive! Impressive.

Overall solid job offensively. Defense played GREAT. St were solid as well... I think Jones did himself a slight disservice (so to speak)doing so well with PR in the pre-season.Solid win against a playoff team last year. I know there's a lot of questions with that KC team. But it's an impressive win nonetheless.

I want to say something good about the KC team. Got a lot of work to do obviously and once again questionable game management by Herm. I think Bowe looked impressive though and it'll be a good thing to have him get some game experience. The defense was pretty good too by KC. Good pressure upfront.Our line held up enough.

Congrat Texas!
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My Game impressions

one BIG thing I noticed was our 2 minute offense... we threw still and showed me that Kubiak has confidence in Schaub

we didn't see that type of offense last season in that situation
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #3
jaybird
Veteran

Just to follow up with what you said

Stadium - to me it looked pretty packed. Never heard how many were there.. but it was LOUD. Great to see the players really getting into it. Anyone see Kris Brown on the sidelines several times leading the cheers? That's the loudest I've heard it for a Texans game in awhile. Great job by the fans. Truely a homefield advantage today. I hope the roof stays closed all season

Mario had a great game IMO. He had a lot of double team, constently was giving the Chief's OL trouble. The DL played a solid game. Even though I had a feeling that the chiefs would have some trouble running just for the simple fact that LJ didn't play much, he's still a great player and the Texans held him in check

With that said the OL looked average to below average. I know we got some points, but there were several plays where Matt was running for his life or there would be a Chief defensive player in the backfield before Green even got the ball. The OL NEEDS to improve

With that said. Matt did a very nice job today. His play fakes are fantastic! And he typically gets the ball away quickly.

Also, I was happy to see how much JJ was involved early in the game, but it felt like we went away from him in the second half. Would be nice to keep him involved. KC did a nice job of not kicking to him on punts. And I tell you what, the crowd LOVES him on returns. That guy has a TON of energy!! He's the first one in the tunnel and the loudest guy in there.

Overall a very good game. Need to keep it up on the road next week. It'd be nice to be 2-0 going up against Indy.
Old 09-09-2007   #4
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan

the stadium was 99 percent full

PS. Yall wanna mess lets mess
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #5
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

OFFENSE
the offense did pretty well minus a few things. i thought we left some points on the field at the end of the first half. we had an opportunity to run a 2 minute drill and we kept moving backwards. it was poor blocking up front by steve that allowed a sack and green getting stuffed behind the line.

schaub did good on his reads and buying time. he had a toss in the endzone where he underthrew AJ but otherwise i thought he did really good today. one of the plays that stands out to me is the 3rd down play where edwards (i think) had a clear path at him and he flipped it over another LB to daniels for the first down. excellent play that we probably wouldnt have converted last season.

DEFENSE
as for the defense, i was starting to get a little worried after the chiefs first drive, but they came back and played exceptional. our DLine was getting pressure but i would have liked to see a little more blitzing to see how it would have affected their offense. Mario and TJ both came to play today.

i was a little worried with simmons leaving with his injury but i was pleasantly surprised with von hutchins at FS. not sure how his play today will affect cc brown whenever boulware is ready to start.

SPECIAL TEAMS
turk booting the ball was pleasant. a 53 and a 59 yarder i believe...the coverage unit needs some work though. they made some plays early on (anderson) but they also allowed too many yards in the chiefs return game. JJ didnt do much on the punt returns, but i think he was just wanting to get the ball in his hands to make a play.
Old 09-09-2007   #6
jaybird
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdude730 View Post
OFFENSE
it was poor blocking up front by steve that allowed a sack and green getting stuffed behind the line.

schaub did good on his reads and buying time. he had a toss in the endzone where he underthrew AJ but otherwise i thought he did really good today.

Two things... first off I completely agree with you on the blocking... it looked like he just took those plays off or something because he looked horrible.

And I think it was more of a miscommunication with the INT. AJ broke of his route and Matt threw it to the outside where AJ ran to the inside... I think Matt should have lofted one up there for him. It wasn't really 'under thrown' just a misread/miscommunication between the two from where I was sitting.
Old 09-09-2007   #7
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
it was poor blocking up front by steve that allowed a sack
Not to be argumentative, but I've reviewed that play three times here at the house. The block was missed by Chester Pitts, McKinney only looks guilty as he leaves his man to come over in an attempt to block the guy penetrating. Also, Pitts was getting his rear chewed on the sideline by Kubiak after the play The other sack given was the responsibility of Salaam or the running back, they missed the guy creeping up on the line.
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-09-2007   #8
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan

there was one guy on their D who kept running over pitts and mckinney who was that?

PS. Yall wanna mess lets mess
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonFan View Post
there was one guy on their D who kept running over pitts and mckinney who was that?
Boone, I believe.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #10
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 130706 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Good game overall.

Sloppy at times.

We were able to capitalize on some mistakes.

Mario played well. Touchdown!

Who was that wearing Travis Johnson's jersey, Pac-Man? lol

We were able to convert some first downs when we needed them.

The main thing that stuck out was being able to run the ball and control the clock. 12 minute drive? wow. We only got 3, but wow.

Schaub looked pretty decent, a few passes he should not have made, but overall pretty good.

Mckinney got man-handled.

Defense hits hard.

W

1-0

We'll have our hands full next week, but I'm enjoying today.
Old 09-09-2007   #11
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
Not to be argumentative, but I've reviewed that play three times here at the house. The block was missed by Chester Pitts, McKinney only looks guilty as he leaves his man to come over in an attempt to block the guy penetrating. Also, Pitts was getting his rear chewed on the sideline by Kubiak after the play The other sack given was the responsibility of Salaam or the running back, they missed the guy creeping up on the line.
i saw it briefly but didnt really get a chance to view it again and what it looked like was they both started to double the DT then pitts let mckinney go 1 on 1 with him while he turned to help double the end with salaam.

whatever happened, the coaching staff will make sure that everyone knows their assignments.
Old 09-09-2007   #12
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, we played reasonably well, certainly well enough to win. However, KC made us look better than we actually played. 1st quarter I was worried and then we seemed to start playing with more confidence and as the game went on we did better.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #13
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Well ya had two plays in a row where that guy just blew both of them out. After that, nothing, so they made whatever adjustment they needed to stop that BS hehe If this was a Capers coached team, they would have had to go to the next series, look at the aerial shots, and still fail in adjusting. Our coaching staff rocks
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #14
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
With that said. Matt did a very nice job today. His play fakes are fantastic! And he typically gets the ball away quickly.
His fakes were solid. He sold those like a slick used car salesman. I couldn't believe how he was practically left alone out there on the bootleg, where he ended up throwing the INT.
Old 09-09-2007   #15
gwallaia

Rep Power: 79490 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Just got back from the game. Surely this has been mentioned but I'm going to say it anyway.

The drive for the FG in the 4th quarter burned 10 minutes and 18 seconds off the clock. Way to pound the ball on the ground and eat up the clock. That's how you win football games. Excellent drive by the Texans!

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Just got back from the game. Surely this has been mentioned but I'm going to say it anyway.

The drive for the FG in the 4th quarter burned 10 minutes and 18 seconds off the clock. Way to pound the ball on the ground and eat up the clock. That's how you win football games. Excellent drive by the Texans!

Why, yes, now that you mention it, we were pretty pleased with...

THE LONGEST LASTING DRIVE IN TEXANS HISTORY TO END WITH A SCORE.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdude730 View Post
we had an opportunity to run a 2 minute drill and we kept moving backwards. it was poor blocking up front by steve that allowed a sack and green getting stuffed behind the line.
McKinney did look bad most of the game, but Pitts looked horrible. Quite possible the worst game he has played in the last few years. Pitts alone costs us that 2 minutes drill at the end of the first half. He had a penalty and then completely missed his assignment. 35 yards to go for the first down, after 25 yards of Chester penalties.
Old 09-09-2007   #18
HotRodsHair
The Newbie

Two things that really stuck out to me.

One) What a great play action fake on the long TD pass! They totally sold it.

Two) When you have a two TD lead entering the fourth quarter, the other team just closed it to fourteen with their first FG and their feeling their oats a bit, it sure doesn't hurt to be able to run off a totally demoralizing 10 minute 36 second drive with ten straight runs. Very, very impressive. Completely iced the game.

Oh yeah, and the DL ROCKED!!!!!
HotRodsHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #19
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
McKinney did look bad most of the game, but Pitts looked horrible. Quite possible the worst game he has played in the last few years. Pitts alone costs us that 2 minutes drill at the end of the first half. He had a penalty and then completely missed his assignment. 35 yards to go for the first down, after 25 yards of Chester penalties.

Schaub ran into that sack.
Old 09-09-2007   #20
HardcoreTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 HardcoreTexan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotHardcoreTexan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Definatly a few mistakes that will hopefully be worked on this week...but starting the season with a big win sure does feel good

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read