Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-08-2004   #1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1297 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wannstedt Resigning

Channel 10 News here in South Florida report Miami Dolphins Head Coach Dave Wannstedt is going to resign. Hilarious...

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004   #2
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1918897

i feel sorry for the guy. he gets a contract extension last year and now ricky likes getting high more than playing football and the QB he brings in is causing more controversy than wins.
Old 11-09-2004   #3
sblueman
Rookie

its long overdue.....
http://www.gridironfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2307
Old 11-09-2004   #4
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 374 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

He's a good coach beset with problems that most coaches wouldn't have an answer for such as the whole Williams deal. I think he's a good defensive coordinator and I hope he bounces back somewhere else. Too bad for the team. They always put a good team out there it seems but not this year.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004   #5
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Dave is a decent guy and this is a pretty raw deal. However, he barely kept his job after last season, so this is not exactly unexpected. He will bounce back elswhere, but probably not as a head coach.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004   #6
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

You do realize that he didn't go to the playoffs either year he had Ricky.

He blew the call in 2002 against the Patriots with 2 minutes to go. If they run the ball 3 times it is game over. Instead the Patroits scored 11 points in 2 minutes and won in OT. It ended up eliminating both teams when the Jets won later that day.

Last year they won 10 games and didn't make the playoffs. That has only happened once in the past 20 years. It happened to the Broncos in the 80's.

I still think that Wannstedt is one of those coaches like Jerry Glanville. He gets the most out of bad talent but the least out of good talent.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004   #7
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 374 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

The last time the Dolphins had a losing record was 1988. That's pretty impressive.
Sponsored links
Old 11-09-2004   #8
dan7
Veteran

This just shows how tenuous a coach's job security can be...I must admit I'm surprised how quickly the Dolphins deteriorated this year.

By the way....I'll be seeing Miami play (in Seattle on November 21); here's hoping they haven't got their act together by then.
dan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004   #9
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Wanny's Chicago Bears were a mediocre group and he turned a good Dolphin team into the Bears v2.0
I agree. The only thing I would say is that the Bears were below mediocre. He is the master at turning any talent (good or bad) into mediocre.
Old 11-09-2004   #10
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3791 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I must admit that I figured he'd be out of a job by season's end, but I never thought he'd resign. I figured he'd be fired at the end of the season. I wonder who'll replace him at Miami. My guess would be a first time coach or a team builder type of coach. Miami isn't in the best of situations, and they'll need to have some good drafts the next couple years to start looking like the Dolphins of old again.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004   #11
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
I wonder who'll replace him at Miami. My guess would be a first time coach or a team builder type of coach.
The Patriots assistant coaches are probably good candidates.
Old 11-09-2004   #12
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3791 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
The Patriots assistant coaches are probably good candidates.
Very true, but I'm not sure they'd want to jump on board that sinking ship. I have a feeling both of NE coaches( Weiss and Crennell) will be interviewing for nearly every HC vacancy in the NFL. I was thinking along the lines of a college coach with some NFL experience, or an assistant coach who's itching for a chance to be the HC.

On a side note, if i could take anyone from NE it would be their GM Scott Pioli.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004   #13
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

The Dolphins will probably trade Ricky Williams and get a conditional pick or a high pick for him. They should also have one of the top 3 picks in the draft. I could easily see them drafting a QB, even though they spent a 2nd rounder on AJ Feeley. My guess is that Fielder is gone in the offseason, Feeley becomes the starter for next year, and a rookie will be waiting in the wings. They will probably try to sign Edgerrin James and drafted O-line with at least one of their other 1st day picks.

If they can retool the line, sign James and go into next season with McMichael, Chambers, Booker, and Boston as targets, they might make a big jump. The real issues will be the O-line and the QB position.
Old 11-09-2004   #14
El_DudeArino
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to El_DudeArino Send a message via Yahoo to El_DudeArino
Lightbulb He Needs To.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
He's a good coach beset with problems that most coaches wouldn't have an answer for such as the whole Williams deal. I think he's a good defensive coordinator and I hope he bounces back somewhere else. Too bad for the team. They always put a good team out there it seems but not this year.
Go back to being a defensive coordinator, that's where he really shines...
Old 11-09-2004   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Wonder if they make a run at Drew Brees? There's the QB. Then they draft a real back who's not too busy cleaning his bong to carry a football and like TheOgre said the targets are all there. Concentrate on the big building blocks in the draft and they could get better fairly quickly. They can't get much worse.
Old 11-09-2004   #16
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34587 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wanny as a head coach =
IMO!
axman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004   #17
Henderson98
Rookie

I think he was forced out by some reports they lost Ricky Williams and David Boston before the season even started, not to mention that whole Marino thing, and with the lack of an offense and their D being exposed it was too much for that team to bear and someone had to be the scapegoat
Henderson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004   #18
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3214 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they may even look to Spurrier as a replacement, even though I think he said he would wait til 2006 to coach again.
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004   #19
chicagotexan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Wanny's Chicago Bears were a mediocre group and he turned a good Dolphin team into the Bears v2.0
He set this team back years. Chicago fans still hate the guy. I don't think he made a good HC. I think he's one of those guys who should probably just stick to being coordinators.
chicagotexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004   #20
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson98
I think he was forced out by some reports they lost Ricky Williams and David Boston before the season even started, not to mention that whole Marino thing, and with the lack of an offense and their D being exposed it was too much for that team to bear and someone had to be the scapegoat

Miami has a very good defense. They are currently ranked #7. Last year they finished #9. Defense is not their problem. I'm not sure what you mean by their defense being exposed.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read