Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-06-2007   #1
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Debriefing has us as Sliders

See link for complete story:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/...-nfl-sea/#cont

"Houston Texans. At some point during the season, someone's going to say that Houston's offensive line is improved since last year, but that's not going to be the case. David Carr was sacked at an alarming pace behind that line ... but people don't realize how many of those sacks were his fault.

So they've got the much-hyped Matt Schaub under center now, and it's hard to imagine it not being an upgrade. I love Andre Johnson on the outside, I think Gary Kubiak's a good coach, and I love some of the young talent on defense, with Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, and Mario Williams. The Ahman Green signing still kind of baffles me, though.

But this team ... with the right breaks, some building confidence, and any kind of production from the running game ... they've got a higher ceiling than people give them credit for."
Old 09-06-2007   #2
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Debriefing has us as Sliders

Man, that guy REALLY likes Mario.
Old 09-06-2007   #3
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I love some of the young talent on defense, with Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, and Mario Williams.
Lots of love for Mario, I guess.

*EDIT - Hadaad beat me to it*
Old 09-06-2007   #4
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: The Debriefing has us as Sliders

Why does every one question the Green pick up? Give me a better back that was available and for the same money.

No one in houston thinks he is the future of the franchise. I personally think one, maybe two years depending on future drafts and his health.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

People have this thought that because of his injury two seasons ago he is done. But they don't realize that he rushed for 1000 yards last season in 14 games and caught 375(ish) yards out of the backfield.

His downfall is fumbling though. Get used to that.
Old 09-06-2007   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 301166 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
His downfall is fumbling though. Get used to that.
Last year there were only 4 1000 yard backs (out of 23) with less fumbles lost--1 each.
Old 09-06-2007   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 300089 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Why does every one question the Green pick up? Give me a better back that was available and for the same money.
Because they don't do their homework. Green will prove all his doubters wrong this year and show that he has a lot left in his tank.
Old 09-06-2007   #8
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: The Debriefing has us as Sliders

It's like no RB has ever had an injury before, lol?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Last year there were only 4 1000 yard backs (out of 23) with less fumbles lost--1 each.
Understood, and thats great but when you look at the whole body of work; he's had two seasons of 7 fumbles (losing 5 and 4 respectively), one season with 6-4 and one season with 5-4.

Obviously that has trended for the better and I remember (and someone mentioned here on the board) that he had sweating problems and thats why he went to the elbow sleeves that he wears now...

Just throwing it out there - so no one is suprised if it does happen.

*EDIT*

I like the guy and for once I am stoked that we have a real running back - even if it is for only a season or two.
Old 09-06-2007   #10
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's like no RB has ever had an injury before, lol?
It kind of reminds me off how I post on this board.

I used to post a lot when I first started. My average posts per day were probably in the top 5 out of all posters.

Then I strained my finger trying to figure out how to type "HWWDNSO", or whatever it was we called the guy we did not speak of, and had to sit out for a little while.

I am getting older now, but know that I can post with the best of them and have many long well thought out posts left in me. Look at TexanBill, he is always most twice my age and is still kicking *ss at posting.

Moral of the story: Ahman Green's age or injury shouldn't matter. But his ability to stay in shape and and recover from injuries is what we should look at. And I have too much time to think up stuff like this.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #11
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

I posted this thread because I saw the story and thought others on the board might enjoy reading it, not because I agree or disagree with everything the author said. I love reading his column and have it on my favorites. Overall, I thought what he said was positive. Some of the other teams got much worse.

I wondered if the double Mario was a typo or a statement. I was surprised about his feelings about Green. However, I thought his O-line/Carr comments echoed what I have read on this board. It is interesting to see how non local columnists see us, and I liked the last line. "But this team ... with the right breaks, some building confidence, and any kind of production from the running game ... they've got a higher ceiling than people give them credit for."

Some of his comments on other teams are very funny.
Old 09-06-2007   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
Then I strained my finger trying to figure out how to type "HWWDNSO", or whatever it was we called the guy we did not speak of, and had to sit out for a little while.

I am getting older now, but know that I can post with the best of them and have many long well thought out posts left in me. Look at TexanBill, he is always most twice my age and is still kicking *ss at posting.
Dude, at my age, I have to take weekly cortisone shots in my fingers.
Old 09-06-2007   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219370 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not to mention the hGH... uh... I mean the vitamin shots. Yeah. That's it. That's the ticket. VITAMIN shots. And some protein supplements and CREATINE. Yeah, yeah. Creatine.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #14
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LMAO...Cortisone or not, you are still a top poster.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Not to mention the hGH... uh... I mean the vitamin shots. Yeah. That's it. That's the ticket. VITAMIN shots. And some protein supplements and CREATINE. Yeah, yeah. Creatine.
*ahem*
*Emphatically pointing a finger towards TexansTalk members*
"I have never used steroids. Period."

*re-cants a bit*
"I have never intentionally used steroids. Never. Ever. Period,"
Old 09-06-2007   #16
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
lol

as for Green fumbling, he doesn't fumble at a high rate but its WHEN he fumbles. He fumbled at some crucial times in Green Bay. I don't think its a problem I just think its a label that is hard to shake.

I think its a GREAT signing and I can't say anything negative about the guy. He is just a pro's pro and is far and away the most talented RB we have ever had here in Reliant. To be honest, he is probably one of the best RBs that has ever played for a Houston football franchise. Campbell, George, Lo White, and Rozier are about the only guys I can think of with the same level of talent....sorry Pinkett
Old 09-06-2007   #17
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59516 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Glass:

I had pretty much the same response as you to MJD's article -- I thought his OL comments were spot on, the Green hate puzzled me, and that he gave us an overall positive spin. (BTW I also read his column daily -- though I miss him on deadspin and his own site where he could say what he pleased). I commented back thanking him for noticing Carr sucks. Don't know what he was thinking wrt Oakland or Cleveland -- those teams suck and will suck this year as well.

It's nice to see some positive love from the national media. The reviews aren't nearly as bad as they were before preseason. Those who watch these games like what they've seen wrt Schaub and Jacoby.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #18
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No one in houston thinks he is the future of the franchise. I personally think one, maybe two years depending on future drafts and his health.
Green is definitely a calculated risk on an older back. I know about all the diminishing factors, but the point is, Green is a bit of a risk.

But, if the Texans get 2 good years out of Green, it will be worth it. Furthermore, Green doesn't have to be the sole contributor as the RB position. He is definitely going to share the load.

I understand people's issue with the Green acquisition, it is a little pricey considering the risk.

Yet, considering where the team is at, they decided to plunk it down and see what happens.

It could easily go either way...
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #19
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
Glass:

I had pretty much the same response as you to MJD's article -- I thought his OL comments were spot on, the Green hate puzzled me, and that he gave us an overall positive spin. (BTW I also read his column daily -- though I miss him on deadspin and his own site where he could say what he pleased). I commented back thanking him for noticing Carr sucks. Don't know what he was thinking wrt Oakland or Cleveland -- those teams suck and will suck this year as well.

It's nice to see some positive love from the national media. The reviews aren't nearly as bad as they were before preseason. Those who watch these games like what they've seen wrt Schaub and Jacoby.
I'm hoping he brings back his Sunday Afternoon Smorgasbord this year.
Old 09-06-2007   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
look, no one expects ahman green to be the future, or a 2000 yard back. but to say he doesn't bring an ounce of legitimacy to a backfield that never really had it is a bit much...

and if i remember correctly his deal wasn't breaking big bob's bank either...
Exactly......

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read