Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The Debriefing has us as Sliders

GlassHalfFull

Hall of Fame
See link for complete story:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007...elps-us-understand-the-upcoming-nfl-sea/#cont

"Houston Texans. At some point during the season, someone's going to say that Houston's offensive line is improved since last year, but that's not going to be the case. David Carr was sacked at an alarming pace behind that line ... but people don't realize how many of those sacks were his fault.

So they've got the much-hyped Matt Schaub under center now, and it's hard to imagine it not being an upgrade. I love Andre Johnson on the outside, I think Gary Kubiak's a good coach, and I love some of the young talent on defense, with Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, and Mario Williams. The Ahman Green signing still kind of baffles me, though.

But this team ... with the right breaks, some building confidence, and any kind of production from the running game ... they've got a higher ceiling than people give them credit for."

Why does every one question the Green pick up? Give me a better back that was available and for the same money.

No one in houston thinks he is the future of the franchise. I personally think one, maybe two years depending on future drafts and his health.

People have this thought that because of his injury two seasons ago he is done. But they don't realize that he rushed for 1000 yards last season in 14 games and caught 375(ish) yards out of the backfield.

His downfall is fumbling though. Get used to that.

Why does every one question the Green pick up? Give me a better back that was available and for the same money.

Because they don't do their homework. Green will prove all his doubters wrong this year and show that he has a lot left in his tank.

Last year there were only 4 1000 yard backs (out of 23) with less fumbles lost--1 each.

Understood, and thats great but when you look at the whole body of work; he's had two seasons of 7 fumbles (losing 5 and 4 respectively), one season with 6-4 and one season with 5-4.

Obviously that has trended for the better and I remember (and someone mentioned here on the board) that he had sweating problems and thats why he went to the elbow sleeves that he wears now...

Just throwing it out there - so no one is suprised if it does happen.

*EDIT*

I like the guy and for once I am stoked that we have a real running back - even if it is for only a season or two.

It's like no RB has ever had an injury before, lol?

It kind of reminds me off how I post on this board.

I used to post a lot when I first started. My average posts per day were probably in the top 5 out of all posters.

Then I strained my finger trying to figure out how to type "HWWDNSO", or whatever it was we called the guy we did not speak of, and had to sit out for a little while.

I am getting older now, but know that I can post with the best of them and have many long well thought out posts left in me. Look at TexanBill, he is always most twice my age and is still kicking *ss at posting.

Moral of the story: Ahman Green's age or injury shouldn't matter. But his ability to stay in shape and and recover from injuries is what we should look at. And I have too much time to think up stuff like this.

I posted this thread because I saw the story and thought others on the board might enjoy reading it, not because I agree or disagree with everything the author said. I love reading his column and have it on my favorites. Overall, I thought what he said was positive. Some of the other teams got much worse.

I wondered if the double Mario was a typo or a statement. I was surprised about his feelings about Green. However, I thought his O-line/Carr comments echoed what I have read on this board. It is interesting to see how non local columnists see us, and I liked the last line. "But this team ... with the right breaks, some building confidence, and any kind of production from the running game ... they've got a higher ceiling than people give them credit for."

Some of his comments on other teams are very funny.

Then I strained my finger trying to figure out how to type "HWWDNSO", or whatever it was we called the guy we did not speak of, and had to sit out for a little while.

I am getting older now, but know that I can post with the best of them and have many long well thought out posts left in me. Look at TexanBill, he is always most twice my age and is still kicking *ss at posting.

Dude, at my age, I have to take weekly cortisone shots in my fingers.

Not to mention the hGH... uh... I mean the vitamin shots. Yeah. That's it. That's the ticket. VITAMIN shots. And some protein supplements and CREATINE. Yeah, yeah. Creatine.

*ahem*
*Emphatically pointing a finger towards TexansTalk members*
"I have never used steroids. Period."

*re-cants a bit*
"I have never intentionally used steroids. Never. Ever. Period,"

Not to mention the hGH... uh... I mean the vitamin shots. Yeah. That's it. That's the ticket. VITAMIN shots. And some protein supplements and CREATINE. Yeah, yeah. Creatine.

lol

as for Green fumbling, he doesn't fumble at a high rate but its WHEN he fumbles. He fumbled at some crucial times in Green Bay. I don't think its a problem I just think its a label that is hard to shake.

I think its a GREAT signing and I can't say anything negative about the guy. He is just a pro's pro and is far and away the most talented RB we have ever had here in Reliant. To be honest, he is probably one of the best RBs that has ever played for a Houston football franchise. Campbell, George, Lo White, and Rozier are about the only guys I can think of with the same level of talent....sorry Pinkett :)

Glass:

I had pretty much the same response as you to MJD's article -- I thought his OL comments were spot on, the Green hate puzzled me, and that he gave us an overall positive spin. (BTW I also read his column daily -- though I miss him on deadspin and his own site where he could say what he pleased). I commented back thanking him for noticing Carr sucks. Don't know what he was thinking wrt Oakland or Cleveland -- those teams suck and will suck this year as well.

It's nice to see some positive love from the national media. The reviews aren't nearly as bad as they were before preseason. Those who watch these games like what they've seen wrt Schaub and Jacoby.

No one in houston thinks he is the future of the franchise. I personally think one, maybe two years depending on future drafts and his health.

Green is definitely a calculated risk on an older back. I know about all the diminishing factors, but the point is, Green is a bit of a risk.

But, if the Texans get 2 good years out of Green, it will be worth it. Furthermore, Green doesn't have to be the sole contributor as the RB position. He is definitely going to share the load.

I understand people's issue with the Green acquisition, it is a little pricey considering the risk.

Yet, considering where the team is at, they decided to plunk it down and see what happens.

It could easily go either way...

Glass:

I had pretty much the same response as you to MJD's article -- I thought his OL comments were spot on, the Green hate puzzled me, and that he gave us an overall positive spin. (BTW I also read his column daily -- though I miss him on deadspin and his own site where he could say what he pleased). I commented back thanking him for noticing Carr sucks. Don't know what he was thinking wrt Oakland or Cleveland -- those teams suck and will suck this year as well.

It's nice to see some positive love from the national media. The reviews aren't nearly as bad as they were before preseason. Those who watch these games like what they've seen wrt Schaub and Jacoby.

I'm hoping he brings back his Sunday Afternoon Smorgasbord this year.

look, no one expects ahman green to be the future, or a 2000 yard back. but to say he doesn't bring an ounce of legitimacy to a backfield that never really had it is a bit much...

and if i remember correctly his deal wasn't breaking big bob's bank either...

Exactly......

*ahem*
*Emphatically pointing a finger towards TexansTalk members*
"I have never used steroids. Period."

*re-cants a bit*
"I have never intentionally used steroids. Never. Ever. Period,"

Mr. Texan Bill, isn't CORTISONE in fact a cortico-steroid? And did you not in fact admit to using cortisone in a post in this very thread?

I think one of the things I enjoy most about the message boards is seeing how the threads get derailed. First, we had to latch onto and over analize the Green comment and now we are on posters using steriods. LOL :doot:

My cat had a steroid shot two weeks ago and he is feeling much better.

Posters and steroids is an ongoing problem on all message boards.

TexanBill is fine with admitting that he does it, BUT he better not name names... :cowboy1:

post-416566-1136990818.jpg

Back