Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 09-09-2007   #141
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61321 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans vs Chiefs Austin Watch Party! Sticky Please!

What were the kinks? I'm sure now that they see what we're made of, we have a little bit more of leeway and can ensure that if they want our business, they'll have to work those kinks out. What were the kinks?

On a side note, did anyone notice if any of the TVs had the closed captioning turned on?
Old 09-09-2007   #142
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think I may have to stop by next week. Do they let under-agers in?
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #143
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

RE: 'the kinks': Look at my first post on this page - showed up really early, and I ended up getting a crappy seat. The service people had no idea which games were on which TVs - AND they even had a map of the TVs in the place that was supposed to have a 'key' to where all the games would be - and the Texans game wasn't even on the list!! I'd say that's a pretty huge kink, especially considering they had what - a MONTH ahead of time to prepare for all the Texans fans to show up?

They didn't even have the game on their typed out schedule!! That cost me being able to watch the game with the rest of the fans in the big, loud back room... but hey again - whatever. It was a great time, and they'll have the issues worked out. I did not see closed captioning on any of the screens.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #144
frequentfliertx
Rookie

Rep Power: 11 frequentfliertx is on the Pro-Bowl ballotfrequentfliertx is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Smile Re: Texans vs Chiefs Austin Watch Party! Sticky Please!

I should be there when they travel to CARROLINA next week! Maybe the Texans'll make it two in a row. I know that the Chiefs look pretty weak this year, but we showed that we can play football so far this year. That Andre Johnson is awesome at receiver. Schaub seems to be doing pretty good.
frequentfliertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #145
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3596 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Great time, great victory! Before we start badmouthing 3rd base, let’s be thankful they did what they did after the fact. When I got there about 11:10, they seemed to have absolutely no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned the “Texans watch party” and the “area” we were supposed to be. They said that the sound for the game would be on in the area with the big screen, but when we were going over there to sit down there were a bunch of “non Texans” in there and they were eating, not to mention we kept getting further and further away from the bar. So, being game day and the fact that it is easier to run to the TV from a bar table than it is from a sit down table we relocated to the tables around the bar area and grabbed on that had the booth back next to where the Bronco game was going to be so that my buddy could get his “out of market” game too. Besides, that’s where I saw the wooden stools were that I heard so much about, so I thought that’s where everyone would be. As game time drew nearer and more Texans came pouring through the door, we began to fill up the place. Most of the “late arriving Texan fans”  filtered their way into the area with the big screen and the sound. However there were others who started to pack in with me in the back fans of other teams like the Jets, Patriots, Broncos, Steelers, and…those KC groupies. About five minutes before the game started, 3rd base began changing all the TVs over to all the games. They started off with the main Austin CBS feed and the Titans flanked the Texans game on each side and the Titans had the audio feed. After about the first possession, the Titans were dropped from one TV in favor of the Philly game and the sound was changed over to the Texans feed.

In the area where we were there were at least nine HD flat panel TVs that were at least 46”+, and there were another seven in the pool/dart room behind me (in view), and then I could see straight through to the other side of the bar and the area where the “big” screen and the short tables were. There were easily twenty more TVs over in those areas.

When I was in the head, a guy was in there that seemed to be a regular or an employee who said he had never seen that place as packed as it was, and this isn’t a small joint.

All in all, my complements to 3rd base for their hospitality, and their willingness to accommodate the Texans crowd as if it was the first they had heard of us when we walked through the door. Despite the fact that we thought we had everything lined up, I thought they did a good job of overcoming the situation. My group had plenty of beer and food, and was always on in a timely matter, never having to look for my waitress as what normally happens. The only downfall is that I left my Texans koozie with my last empty. Personally, I had a great time in the bar area, as I prefer the high tables and standing, plus with the handful of us in the back we really made it sound like we owned the whole building.

By my estimation, it looked like there were about 60 Texan fans, and we definitely made our presence known.

Let’s give 3rd base some slack for it being the first game, I thought the service and the their ability to overcome what they had no idea what was coming.

It was fun watching the game with all that showed up. It was great to share the environment with my 7 year old son. I wish I could remember everyone I met, but I’m terrible with names.

BigWig
Htownballa #90
Hardcore Texan
Guy with the dental work, I can’t remember your handle but evidently your grill looks better than it used too.
Guy that was standing next to me the whole time who read about the place on the Chronicle page
Guy that was sitting next to Jets fan that said that Mario was going to get ripped for not doing anything….right before he had the sacks, and fumble recovery for TD.
The other 50+ rowdy Texan fans that were there.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #146
H-Town Balla#90
Rookie

i agree, we definitly need to cut some slack......on the one hand, they were apparently supposed to know we were coming, but, at least they did their best to accomadate us and didn't get pissy about it. unfortuneatly i already know i will not be there next week (wifes birthday), but def. want to do that again!!!
H-Town Balla#90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #147
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32854 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

The beer was cold ,the spicy shrimp tacos were good .We rocked the house I think we scared a Bear fan with the HOUSTON TEXANS chant!
KEYE 42 SUXS!
GARY VINSON SUXS!
Old 09-10-2007   #148
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1265 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Weekly Austin Watch Party!

It was a gr8 showing no doubt. I just have to wonder how many of those Texans fans in the bar area should have sat with all of us? It kind of made me want to carry a sign saying "Texanstalk.com" os something like that.
All inall I like your feedback here, not to mention we also got the card from the manager and let him know we are coming strong next week. I think Rickyb will get the point across on this one.
I do beleive the loud rant "KEYE Sucks" over an over got the point across.
Good job fans and good job Texans!
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007   #149
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1265 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

We need to get a point man to arrive early and setup our area.
Any takers?
I nominate Specnatz!
Other things we need to consider:
1. which side or where we want to be
2. show up early ( I was late due to church being Catholic, I will go on sat)
3. We need to stay loud as we were
4. We need to wear Texans gear
5. We need to stay together and hang out here on these boards to communicate

Anybody else got any ideas!
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007   #150
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
Great time, great victory! Before we start badmouthing 3rd base, let’s be thankful they did what they did after the fact. When I got there about 11:10, they seemed to have absolutely no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned the “Texans watch party” and the “area” we were supposed to be. They said that the sound for the game would be on in the area with the big screen, but when we were going over there to sit down there were a bunch of “non Texans” in there and they were eating, not to mention we kept getting further and further away from the bar. So, being game day and the fact that it is easier to run to the TV from a bar table than it is from a sit down table we relocated to the tables around the bar area and grabbed on that had the booth back next to where the Bronco game was going to be so that my buddy could get his “out of market” game too. Besides, that’s where I saw the wooden stools were that I heard so much about, so I thought that’s where everyone would be. As game time drew nearer and more Texans came pouring through the door, we began to fill up the place. Most of the “late arriving Texan fans”  filtered their way into the area with the big screen and the sound. However there were others who started to pack in with me in the back fans of other teams like the Jets, Patriots, Broncos, Steelers, and…those KC groupies. About five minutes before the game started, 3rd base began changing all the TVs over to all the games. They started off with the main Austin CBS feed and the Titans flanked the Texans game on each side and the Titans had the audio feed. After about the first possession, the Titans were dropped from one TV in favor of the Philly game and the sound was changed over to the Texans feed.

In the area where we were there were at least nine HD flat panel TVs that were at least 46”+, and there were another seven in the pool/dart room behind me (in view), and then I could see straight through to the other side of the bar and the area where the “big” screen and the short tables were. There were easily twenty more TVs over in those areas.

When I was in the head, a guy was in there that seemed to be a regular or an employee who said he had never seen that place as packed as it was, and this isn’t a small joint.

All in all, my complements to 3rd base for their hospitality, and their willingness to accommodate the Texans crowd as if it was the first they had heard of us when we walked through the door. Despite the fact that we thought we had everything lined up, I thought they did a good job of overcoming the situation. My group had plenty of beer and food, and was always on in a timely matter, never having to look for my waitress as what normally happens. The only downfall is that I left my Texans koozie with my last empty. Personally, I had a great time in the bar area, as I prefer the high tables and standing, plus with the handful of us in the back we really made it sound like we owned the whole building.

By my estimation, it looked like there were about 60 Texan fans, and we definitely made our presence known.

Let’s give 3rd base some slack for it being the first game, I thought the service and the their ability to overcome what they had no idea what was coming.

It was fun watching the game with all that showed up. It was great to share the environment with my 7 year old son. I wish I could remember everyone I met, but I’m terrible with names.

BigWig
Htownballa #90
Hardcore Texan
Guy with the dental work, I can’t remember your handle but evidently your grill looks better than it used too.
Guy that was standing next to me the whole time who read about the place on the Chronicle page
Guy that was sitting next to Jets fan that said that Mario was going to get ripped for not doing anything….right before he had the sacks, and fumble recovery for TD.
The other 50+ rowdy Texan fans that were there.
Dude, that is some good qualitative information right there. THANKS.

EVERYONE --- know that I will be following up with Third Base very quickly. The GM, the Events Manager, and now Bill, who presented himself as the day manager and the right point of contact. As hookin said, they apparently had a communication gap but did their best to recover.

Let's see if we can get it squared away. Bill was awesome, and the central venue seems to work. All that aside....

I had a GREAT time. (I was the guy in the red polo -- yes, I know, red. yes, i know, i don't have a jersey -- a problem that will soon be corrected.) Good meeting you Wig, Spec, Hardcore, a guy named Patrick whose board name I did not catch, and anyone else I met after 2 beers. --- Hardcore, I did not meet your wife. Hopefully, I was not rude or anything. And thanks for introducing me to Bill, the day manager.

Gig 'e.....err, I mean, GO TEXANS!
Rick
aka Rickyb
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007   #151
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3596 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post

EVERYONE --- know that I will be following up with Third Base very quickly. The GM, the Events Manager, and now Bill, who presented himself as the day manager and the right point of contact. As hookin said, they apparently had a communication gap but did their best to recover.

Let's see if we can get it squared away. Bill was awesome, and the central venue seems to work. All that aside....

I had a GREAT time. (I was the guy in the red polo -- yes, I know, red. yes, i know, i don't have a jersey -- a problem that will soon be corrected.) Good meeting you Wig, Spec, Hardcore, a guy named Patrick whose board name I did not catch, and anyone else I met after 2 beers. --- Hardcore, I did not meet your wife. Hopefully, I was not rude or anything. And thanks for introducing me to Bill, the day manager.

Rick
aka Rickyb

Oh...that Patrick dude was me...so that was you in the red polo...it's all starting to come back to me now.
Old 09-10-2007   #152
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Well done fellow Austin fans. I will be there on Sunday barring a freak accident on Friday or Saturday at ACL fesitval.
Old 09-10-2007   #153
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post

Rick
aka Rickyb
Not at all, I actually thought I introduced her to everyone, so it's my fault........but I was pretty caught up in the game, soaking in the victory that was unfolding before our eyes.

Can't wait to do it again.

Old 09-10-2007   #154
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWig View Post
It was a gr8 showing no doubt. I just have to wonder how many of those Texans fans in the bar area should have sat with all of us? It kind of made me want to carry a sign saying "Texanstalk.com" os something like that.
All inall I like your feedback here, not to mention we also got the card from the manager and let him know we are coming strong next week. I think Rickyb will get the point across on this one.
I do beleive the loud rant "KEYE Sucks" over an over got the point across.
Good job fans and good job Texans!
Yeah that was funny, I had to explain it a few times to different people. Also we put out the word about us being there next week and about the board and all that is going on.

Had a blast, and it was great to meet everyone. If I do not remember your name please do not hold it against me because I am the worse person in the world at remembering someones name.

Old 09-10-2007   #155
rockabilly
Veteran

Rep Power: 31 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected

it was definetly a great time. I got there early and the staff seemed confused when I started talking about texans...so i just went to the room with sound and luckily that is where the party ended up being!

Good staff. Even though we totally took over the place, moving chairs, tables, and what not, the staff was nice and let us enjoy ourselves and did not once try to put a damper on our time.

Something tells me that next week, we will get a little special treatment, which would be nice considering how much business we are bringing them.
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007   #156
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Guys, I just sent the email off to Bill, the new primary point-of-contact. The email also includes the terms of the original agreement established between myself, the GM, and the Events Manager.

Bill assured me personally at the game that he would honor whatever agreement was in place.

I'm sure it was just a simple communication problem. We will work it through.

Best,
Rick

aka Rickyb
Old 09-10-2007   #157
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

...and those terms would be????
Old 09-10-2007   #158
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
it was definetly a great time. I got there early and the staff seemed confused when I started talking about texans...so i just went to the room with sound and luckily that is where the party ended up being!

Good staff. Even though we totally took over the place, moving chairs, tables, and what not, the staff was nice and let us enjoy ourselves and did not once try to put a damper on our time.

Something tells me that next week, we will get a little special treatment, which would be nice considering how much business we are bringing them.
Hey rockabilly, I didn't get a chance to meet you. Where were you sitting?
Old 09-10-2007   #159
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32854 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Texanator would request that Laurie be one of our waitress.
Old 09-10-2007   #160
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Quote:
I'll kill 2 birds mit eine stone. Here is the response from Bill today. We are all set. The bold is my emphasis, for ease of reading.

Rick,

I am glad you all had a great time at Third Base. Next week looks to be the same time and situation for the Texan game. We are excited we have become the Houston Texan bar. We will have the entire restaurant with sound for the Houston game. It became obvious to us that the majority of the bar wanted that this past week.

One of our only problems that we have with big events is that everyone shows up at the same time and orders at the same time. So we go from 0- 300 people in 20 minutes. Now while this is a good problem to have, it does slow down service (food and drinks).

Maybe even more important is the reservation. We will reserve that back room for you and the Texan fans and you can put up a banner during the game. What we want to avoid is that room being held and the rest of the restaurant being full. It gets customers upset when they see empty tables for a half hour while they wait.

On Sunday if we can try to encourage your group to get to the bar before 11:30 it would alleviate both these problems. But really this next Sunday is not going to be the problem. The problem is going to be starting week 8 when there is a 4:00 game. We will work with you on that as we get closer to that date.

One more thing; did you have any waitresses that you really liked and would like to be always in that back room?

It was great to meet you all this past Sunday. Hopefully we’ll keep winning.

Thanks again for working with us,

Bill
So...just let BigWig know via the weekly message board thread if you will be coming, and how many.
I will send an email letting them know how many, based on the count at 12 noon on Friday.
Third Base are reserving that back room for us this week. It's our chance to fill it.

ANYONE -- can we get a banner made this week? Anyone have resources on which to draw there?

Rick

Last edited by rickyb; 09-10-2007 at 06:10 PM. Reason: for easy reading

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read