Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-06-2007   #21
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans/Denver Draft Myths

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
that's where you questioned his greatness.
We must have different definitions of greatness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #22
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Sorry about the neg rep....I thought it was friggin hilarious! no worries bud.

One thing that TexansChick keyed in on about selecting offensive players is basically nit-picking guys that fit their system. Nowadays more and more teams are looking towards the the quick o-linemen or rb's that make one cut and go. It used to be the big ol' 350lb dudes mauling people and Denv/ San Fran etc didn't worry about them and could get them later in the draft b/c other teams passed on them. Same goes for RB's, if a guy knows the system and can produce in it, even if not the biggest and strongest, he could be successful. Behind other lines he wouldn't do near as well so gets knocked down a round or two, etc. Am I along the correct way of thinking or am I totally off? This is always something I've kind of thought.

As far as talent, I would like to see someone argue that Lundy(6th)> Addai and Maroney (1st), I'm not going to . lol
Actually i think the mauler type is still the prefered type of lineman. They're just a bit more atheletic type now but today that's how it is with nutritionists watching diets and how strength and conditioning have changed. If you're looking for any ZBS type of teams ATL used to run it but i am not sure if Petrino is going to install something different there. Denver does and the Texans run something close to it.

As for RB's depends what you prefer...most of the NFL doesn't mind the dance here and there type of back long as they have the ability to break it off long. Just depends what you're asking of a RB. Here it's cut and go. I don't think you'll find many people who will even try to argue someone like Lundy can compete with Maroney or Addai.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #23
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

As texan chick stated, most coaches that have a system on one side, they draft system players on that side and best player on the other. look at pitt,denver,seattle indy to name a few. Whether its offensive guys like kubiak and shanahan or dfensive guys like cohwer, they believe in their system. As many good linebackers the steelers have had, how many were 1st or 2nd rd picks?. I think the texans will develop that rb their looking for and green gives them 1 yr or 2 to look for that guy I really never thought that reggie was a serious draftee for the texans. I mean he's never had a guy in his entire career like bush. Bush is a very unique talent that a team has to keep a extra #1 runner on the team because of his lack of running betqeen the tackles type runner. In the denver syestem, they get runner to the 2nd level and require the rb to break a tackle or make a guy miss for large gains. Thats the reason the got rid of bell. The would get him to the 2nd level, but he could break that one tackle.. Hell, they traded portis in his prime after 2 back to back 1500 yd seasons. If Portis, can be traded, by the way for the absolute best corner in the the league, that tells you what they think about rbs.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read