Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-05-2007   #1
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Earl Campbell tells Costas of the hit he’s lived to regret

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...ells_cost.html

Longhorn legend Earl Campbell appears Wednesday night on Bob Costas’ interview show on HBO, “CostasNOW,” at 8 p.m. Central.

They discuss Campbell’s health issues after a life in football, as well as a hit that Campbell has lived to regret. Not one he suffered, but one he delivered.

Costas quizzes Campbell about the memorable 1978 play when he ran over Rams linebacker Isaiah Robertson.

Here’s a transcript of the exchange:

BOB COSTAS: “There’s lots of memorable plays. One among many that stands out. Isaiah Robertson was a very good linebacker with the Rams. He has a one-on-one shot at you in the open field. You lower your head right into his chest, and he’s out flatter than a pancake.”

EARL CAMPBELL: “That is the one play that I don’t talk very much about.”

BOB COSTAS: “Why not?”

EARL CAMPBELL: “They play that so much, back and forth, about him, until I think it’s damaged his life a little bit.”

TONY DORSETT: “Earl changed that man’s whole life. That highlight that they still run today, it’s a classic. Here comes Isaiah and he just puts that helmet right into his chest and runs flat over him.”

EARL CAMPBELL: “I finally had a chance to see him. And I said, ‘Man, I’ve been looking for you for many years, to apologize to you.’ And he’s all, ‘Man, it’s okay. It was just, you know, it’s just football.’ But because of that one run I think it did something to him, you know?”

BOB COSTAS: “It wasn’t because he was permanently injured from it.”

EARL CAMPBELL: “No.”

BOB COSTAS: “It shows how good-natured you are. You feel bad…”

EARL CAMPBELL: “Yeah.”

BOB COSTAS: “…that he was kind of embarrassed or even humiliated by that play.”

EARL CAMPBELL: “Yes.”
Old 09-05-2007   #2
gwallaia

Rep Power: 88694 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Earl Campbell tells Costas of the hit he’s lived to regret

Next time that wuss Robertson should get the hell out of Earl's way.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #3
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Next time that wuss Robertson should get the hell out of Earl's way.

Sincerely,

Phillip Buchannon
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #4
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
Sincerely,

Phillip Buchannon
ha ha ha Sooooo true.
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #5
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

If I remember correctly, Isiah retired soon after that hit from Earl. I also remember a similar hit from Earl to Ottis Sistrunk, and Ottis made the comment after the game it was time for him to retire if he was going to be run over like that. Of course, this could all be delusion on my part, as I don't remember much from those days.
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Earl is a good guy. Hope I'm fortunate enough to meet him at some point.

What a class act. I still like watching that highlight, tho'! (sorry, 34!)
Old 09-05-2007   #7
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

this belongs in any thread about earl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdvVaTbwMrE
Old 09-05-2007   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Earl is a good guy. Hope I'm fortunate enough to meet him at some point.

What a class act. I still like watching that highlight, tho'! (sorry, 34!)
He is a class act. I've had the honor of meeting him a few times when the wife worked for Tri-Star. I've yet to meet a better person in professional sports that is as down to earth as Earl is. Biggio's a close second.

Great guy and definitely a Texan.

P.S. I also had the dishonor of meeting Randy Johnson. I'll just say he lives up to his last name.
Old 09-05-2007   #9
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

I had the pleasure of meeting Earl one time and he is truly a class act.

He will always be a Texan and never a Titan!

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #10
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad this thread turned up. That reminds me that he'll be on Costas tonight. The footage that I've seen from it looks pretty sad. It doesn't seem like he makes many public appearances anymore, so I'll tune in anyway.

#34 is one number that I'd like to see the Texans retire. I can always wish.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been watching football for a few decades now and still have never seen anything quite like Earl. A "once in a generation player" is thrown around way too much by fans and pundits but that is exactly what he was.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #12
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I've been watching football for a few decades now and still have never seen anything quite like Earl. A "once in a generation player" is thrown around way too much by fans and pundits but that is exactly what he was.
Exactly!! I grew up watching Walter Payton and he is a once in a generation guy as well.

Earl ran in a way that I do not think will be duplicated because of the sportcenter life kids live in now.
Old 09-05-2007   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Which game was it when Campbell ran the ball all the way back from the los
for an 80 or 90 yard TD ? Unbelieveable run, and an unbelieveable game ! I know it was in Houston & MNF and I hadn't moved to Houston yet, really had no idea I'd move down here at that point in my life, but remember thinking "wow, they have some fantastic football fans in Houston", because the fans were going nuts and a viewer could feel it just watching on TV. Guess I was watching an example of the "Luv ya Blue" era ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
for an 80 or 90 yard TD ? Unbelieveable run, and an unbelieveable game ! I know it was in Houston & MNF and I hadn't moved to Houston yet, really had no idea I'd move down here at that point in my life, but remember thinking "wow, they have some fantastic football fans in Houston", because the fans were going nuts and a viewer could feel it just watching on TV. Guess I was watching an example of the "Luv ya Blue" era ?
It was against the Dolphins in the 4th quarter.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #15
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That was the famous MNF game against the Miami Dolphins.

Old 09-05-2007   #16
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shadows View Post
I had the pleasure of meeting Earl one time and he is truly a class act.

He will always be a Texan and never a Titan!

Earl is an Oiler.

Not a Texan, not a Titan.

He will always be a Houston Oiler!

Glad I got that off my chest. lol
Old 09-05-2007   #17
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That was the very first NFL game I ever attended. My dad pulled me out of school on a Monday and we drove 6 hours from Brownsville to watch the game. We sat in the temporary pavillion which were high school style metal bleachers in the end zone. Folks there were stomping in unison causing my 8 year old body to be tossed into the air.

I was hooked from that moment on. There will never be another Earl.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #18
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 81427 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Give me any RB in the history of any football to give the ball to on 4th and 1 and I'll take Earl. Hell, I'll take Earl if it's 1st and 20 over any back ever.

This guy was the most dominate runner I have ever seen in the 30+ years I've watched this game.

Walter Payton may be the closest. "They" say Jim Brown, but I never saw Brown play.

Barry Sanders was great, but he could lose yards on 3 or 4 straight carries before he busted one for 50.

Emmitt is certainly one of the greatest and not to take anything away from him, but he ran behind one of the greatest o-lines ever, plus there were other weapons that defenses had to plan for on that team.

The Oiler offense was give the ball to Earl, and that's about it. The defense knew it, the 60,000 in the stands knew it, everybody on tv knew it, and you still couldn't stop him. And this was behind a line of Conway Hayman, Carl Mauck, George Reihner...not exactly Allen, Newton, Tuinei, Stepnoski.

Earl Campbell single handedly put Houston, Texas on the football map and made this a football town. Everybody talks about his punishing, bruising running style, the richter scale collisions, but the guy had 4.6 speed also.

That Monday night game against the Dolphins may still be the greatest football game I ever saw. And it wasn't crushing a defender to seal it, it was an 80 yard dash, in the 4th quarter, and after already rushing for over 100 yards to that point. He still outran the DB's. Speed.

I hope there is some way, some day, that Houston's professional football team can honor this man. He IS Houston football.

Instead of retiring numbers and jerseys or whatever, I'd rather see the Texans have a "ring of honor" and just put our great players names on the stadium. And what better name to kick that tradition off with than Earl Campbell.

And to whoever said Earl is an Oiler, not a Texan....you couldn't be more wrong. I don't know anybody who is more Texan than Earl Christian Campbell.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
#34 is one number that I'd like to see the Texans retire. I can always wish.
I agree 100%!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Earl is an Oiler.

Not a Texan, not a Titan.

He will always be a Houston Oiler!

Glad I got that off my chest. lol
He was never a Houston Texan, but he is always a Texan!

Dude grew up in Tyler, played for UT and the Oilers (where he should have retired if that fat slug hadn't stabbed Earl and the fans in the back!).
Old 09-05-2007   #20
Brando
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I agree 100%!!!

He was never a Houston Texan, but he is always a Texan!

Dude grew up in Tyler, played for UT and the Oilers (where he should have retired if that fat slug hadn't stabbed Earl and the fans in the back!).

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read