Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-04-2007   #1
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Herm Edwards Discusses the Texans (Press Conference)

His take on the Texans and the season opener:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herm Edwards
“As far as the Texans go, they’re an improved football team. Offensively they’ve got a new quarterback and Ahman Green, who’s a good football player, good runner. Johnson, the receiver, and Daniels, the tight end, are good. They did some good things in the pre-season. The quarterback does a good job of moving in the pocket. He gets outside on boots and rolls similar to what Denver has done in the past. They were very good in the pre-season in not turning the ball over: plus five in the giveaway-takeaway. That’s always a good sign in the pre-season.

“Defensively, they have very good speed. They drafted [Okoye] out of Louisville who’s going to start for them. We liked him and he was a young kid. Their secondary is very aggressive and plays a lot of bump-and-run. They get in your face. It’ll be a good test for our receivers.

“Their special teams are very, very good. I know their special teams coach, Joe Marciano. He was in Tampa with us. Their return guy Jones has taken two of them back in the pre-season. Their kicker, Kris Brown, is a solid guy who’s long[est kick] has been 42 yards this pre-season. Turk, their punter, was actually with us in New York. Their special teams are very good and create positive yards.

“They have a lot of young guys and some high round draft choices. It’ll be a good test for us going on the road.”
Quote:
Q: Houston head coach Kubiak knows this team so well from his time coaching in Denver. What kind of advantage is that for him in putting together a game play?

EDWARDS: “They’re going to boot, play-action; they’re going to go run stretch. They were successful doing that. He’s built his team a little bit like that. But that being said we’re a little bit different on defense than the past.”

Q: How are you better prepared to defend that?

EDWARDS: “Knock on wood, we played Denver twice last year. They run Denver’s offense. We have an idea what they’re going to do. Now, can we stop it? I don’t know. But we’ll find out.”
And how much he plans to work LJ:

Quote:
Q: In baseball they have pitch counts, is LJ [Larry Johnson] on a play count?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, and I have an idea. When we’re home I’ve got an idea that I’m going to make these little cards where people – like they do in baseball – can actually mark it. I’m going to try to patent that. [laughs]

“He’s going to be on a little bit of a leash early. He carried the ball two or three times in St. Louis. So he has to get his legs underneath him. Michael Bennett is healthy and that’s good; it gives us another runner. We feel very comfortable with the runners we have. It’s not all on LJ. It’s tough on one guy and he did a yeoman’s job last year.

“When I took this job I didn’t anticipate him carrying the ball that much. But injuries and losing the quarterback…the last time I checked you give the ball to your best player. He was our best player last year.

“It’s kind of ironic. He’s back, signed a big contract, now he’s not going to get the ball as much. The first thing he’s going to do is come to my office after the third game and ask, ‘why am I not getting the ball?’ That’s the question you [media] will be asking after week four: ‘why won’t you give Larry the ball more?’ Oh really, last year you said we gave him the ball too much last year. He’ll get the ball.”

Q: Is it going to be hard keeping him on a leash?

EDWARDS: “He’ll be fine the first two weeks because he knows he can’t do that. It’s about that fourth week. He knows and we’re protecting Larry. That’s important. The kind of guy he is, after week four I know what he’s going to do. He’s going to come up to me and say, ‘I can carry it a few more times if you need me to.”

“Now, it’s 25 [times] and now it’s 30 and I’m answering the question again: are you giving him the ball too much?”
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007   #2
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Herm Edwards Discusses the Texans (Press Conference)

I think Herm might not have all of his brain cells left.
Old 09-04-2007   #3
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan

thanks, yea looks like they think they are ready and prepared, that was nice of herm all he did was compliment us, looks like LJ wont be getting as many carries this season (IMO) and looks like herm really like Michael Bennett as a back to use when LJ is tired or when ever

PS. Yall wanna mess lets mess
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007   #4
Noblesse Oblige
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 Noblesse Oblige is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNoblesse Oblige is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Did he get paid a bonus every time he used the word "good?"
Old 09-04-2007   #5
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noblesse Oblige View Post
Here's a copy of Herm's script:

"That guy at "Insert Position and name here" is good. Fast guy...he's good."
Old 09-04-2007   #6
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Herm completely ignored Mathis. Hopefully he can remind Herm about how good he is.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

*in my best robotic voice*

The course is "good"

I feel "good"

I like my chances.

----Tiger Woods on the Jim Rome show.
Old 09-04-2007   #8
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Herm completely ignored Mathis. Hopefully he can remind Herm about how good he is.
Mathis hasn't done anything all preseason really. He had one decent run back and a couple dropped passes IIRC. He was a threat 2 years ago, last year hurt, and this year is a big ? mark. I hope he shows up to play Sunday.
Old 09-04-2007   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noblesse Oblige View Post
It's better than execute.
Old 09-04-2007   #10
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Herm has this weird look to him. IMO, there's a big difference in the tone between Gary Kubiak and Herm Edwards. Kubiak seems calm, confident and content with his preparations. Herm on the other hand, is a tough guy to call. Either he thinks they're going to win the Superbowl or they're in for a long season. I’m hoping for the latter.
Old 09-04-2007   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
Mathis hasn't done anything all preseason really. He had one decent run back and a couple dropped passes IIRC. He was a threat 2 years ago, last year hurt, and this year is a big ? mark. I hope he shows up to play Sunday.
Jacoby Jones just blasted a hole through the hull of the Jerome Mathis ship.

Period.

I mean, seriously, Jacoby has been electric in returns AND in receiving...and I think Mathis knows he's just been leapfrogged.

I predict a trade or an outright release of Mathis as the Jacoby Jones Show continues to roll out every Sunday around noon time. Mathis is going to implode at some point and revert back to the twirp he had seemingly grown out of being ...until Jacoby rolled onto the highlight reels, and now (IMO) Mathis is going to find himself "pressing" a lot more in order to show his worth.

I hate to be so matter-of-fact about it, but Mathis (IMO) is as good as done due to Jacoby and his ability to be everywhere at the right time. Only an injury to JJ can save Mathis.

Now...if Mathis pulls a TD return or great returns out of his bumpkus a few times early in the season, then all bets are off. It just seems that Mathis has spiraled downward a little over the summer as JJ seems to be flourishing in the spotlight.
Old 09-04-2007   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I love how coaches talk about other teams. They could be playing the worst team in the history of the league but they'll still have to say "They have some positive things going there. [Quarterback] throws the ball well and so and so has playmaking abilities." Meanwhile that team is 0-15.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007   #13
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I love how coaches talk about other teams. They could be playing the worst team in the history of the league but they'll still have to say "They have some positive things going there. [Quarterback] throws the ball well and so and so has playmaking abilities." Meanwhile that team is 0-15.
they have to cover their asses just in case.
Old 09-04-2007   #14
MissouriTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 MissouriTexan was voted MVPMissouriTexan was voted MVPMissouriTexan was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976 View Post

Period.

I mean, seriously, Jacoby has been electric in returns AND in receiving...and I think Mathis knows he's just been leapfrogged.

I predict a trade or an outright release of Mathis as the Jacoby Jones Show continues to roll out every Sunday around noon time. Mathis is going to implode at some point and revert back to the twirp he had seemingly grown out of being ...until Jacoby rolled onto the highlight reels, and now (IMO) Mathis is going to find himself "pressing" a lot more in order to show his worth.

I hate to be so matter-of-fact about it, but Mathis (IMO) is as good as done due to Jacoby and his ability to be everywhere at the right time. Only an injury to JJ can save Mathis.

Now...if Mathis pulls a TD return or great returns out of his bumpkus a few times early in the season, then all bets are off. It just seems that Mathis has spiraled downward a little over the summer as JJ seems to be flourishing in the spotlight.
I thought it was Mathis for KR and Jones for PR?
MissouriTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007   #15
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Period.

Dang, what did Mathis do to you? Kick your dog? Steal your girlfriend? Holy cow, man!

There is no way Mathis is released. If he were going to be released, he would have been released with or before the cuts to 53. Obviously Kubiak is pleased with his progress and his attitude.

Regardless, he is an asset to us. He pretty much won us the Raiders game last year, and I doubt he will disappoint.... so long as he is healthy. He may have lost a step, but he is still one of the fastest on the field.

We will see.
TexansLucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007   #16
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan

"you play to win the game, YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!"

PS. Yall wanna mess lets mess
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007   #17
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:

Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
Dang, what did Mathis do to you? Kick your dog? Steal your girlfriend? Holy cow, man!

There is no way Mathis is released. If he were going to be released, he would have been released with or before the cuts to 53. Obviously Kubiak is pleased with his progress and his attitude.

Regardless, he is an asset to us. He pretty much won us the Raiders game last year, and I doubt he will disappoint.... so long as he is healthy. He may have lost a step, but he is still one of the fastest on the field.

We will see.
yeah dude... mathis is still a great KR
Old 09-04-2007   #18
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
EDWARDS: “Knock on wood, we played Denver twice last year. They run Denver’s offense. We have an idea what they’re going to do. Now, can we stop it? I don’t know. But we’ll find out.”
Earth to Herm: The Texans run big elements of Denver's offense but do not run Denver's offense.

Herm got a ton of grief after KC looked bad in last year's preseason game when the Texans booted them to death.

I agree with this: Herm Edwards: 'I Did a Terrible Job'

Quote:
In both of his head-coaching jobs, I've always have a hard time telling if Edwards' players find his speeches inspirational or annoying. I'm guessing inspirational the first couple times and annoying after that.
Old 09-04-2007   #19
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I still can't figure out how Herm got the KC job. Exactly what did Carl Peterson see in Edwards' 39 and 41 record with the Jets that told him this guy was a winner?
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
I still can't figure out how Herm got the KC job. Exactly what did Carl Peterson see in Edwards' 39 and 41 record with the Jets that told him this guy was a winner?
It's the good ol' boy system, circa 2007. Edwards was a CB with the Eagles when Peterson was the personnel guy.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read