Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-03-2007   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chiefs versus Texans

Quote:
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 9, 2007 – 12:00 PM (CENTRAL)
RELIANT STADIUM – HOUSTON, TEXAS

TV: CBS Regional Coverage (KCTV-5 in Kansas City) – Ian Eagle and Solomon Wilcots.
RADIO: KCFX-FM (101.1) – Mitch Holthus, Len Dawson, Bob Gretz and Bill Grigsby.
Win Season Tickets & a Herm Edwards autographed football!

THE MATCH-UP
Kansas City begins the 2007 regular season vs. Houston at Reliant Stadium on Sunday. Herm Edwards returns for his second season at the helm of the Chiefs. In 2006, he became the first coach in franchise history to guide the squad to the postseason in his initial season with the club. Meanwhile, Gary Kubiak enters his second campaign in Houston after posting a 6-10 mark in his inaugural year as the Texans head coach.

Faced with the daunting task of playing three of its first four games on the road, Kansas City will make its first appearance in Houston on Opening Day since registering a 20-19 victory vs. the Oilers at the Astrodome (9/1/96). The Texans will be attempting to snap a string of three consecutive Opening Day losses.

After ranking 11th in the league in scoring defense in 2006 (19.7 ppg), the Chiefs continued to bolster their defense in the off-season. The Chiefs added a pair of veteran LBs in Donnie Edwards (UFA-SD) and LB Napoleon Harris (UFA-MIN) to work alongside LB Derrick Johnson (D1-05). A new starting duo at safety in Bernard Pollard (D2-06) and Jarrad Page (D7-06) form a solid secondary unit with veteran CBs Ty Law and Patrick Surtain. A pair of promising newcomers on the defensive line in DE Turk McBride (D2-07) and DT Tank Tyler (D3-07) give the Chiefs a strong nucleus of young defensive talent to go with DE Tamba Hali (D1-06) and DT Alfonso Boone (UFA-CHI).

Eight-time Pro Bowl TE Tony Gonzalez and two-time Pro Bowl RB Larry Johnson headline Kansas City’s offensive unit. Both clubs will feature first-time Opening Day starters under center, with 11-year NFL veteran QB Damon Huard calling the signals for Kansas City, while QB Matt Schaub is expected to make his initial start in a Texans uniform.

Up next for the Chiefs is a nationally-televised contest at Chicago (9/16) when Kansas City takes on the defending NFC champions. Houston travels to Carolina (9/16) in Week Two of the regular season.
Quote:
THE SERIES
The road team has won all three games of the brief Chiefs-Texans regular season series that Kansas City leads by a 2-1 count. In the most recent meeting between the two teams, Kansas City claimed a 45-10 victory at Houston (11/20/05) as RB Larry Johnson racked up a franchise single-game record 211 rushing yards, surpassing the previous mark of 200 yards established by RB Barry Word vs. Detroit (10/14/90).

The Chiefs won their inaugural regular season meeting with the Texans by a 42-14 count at Reliant Stadium (9/21/03) in a game that featured a 73-yard punt return TD by WR Dante Hall and a pair of rushing scores from RB Priest Holmes. The Texans won the only regular season outing between the two clubs at Arrowhead by a 24-21 score (9/26/04) as a 101-yard INT return TD by Texans CB Marcus Coleman changed the momentum of the game in Houston’s favor.
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/09...exans__game_1/

first preview
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #2
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan
Default Re: Chiefs versus Texans

thanks, i am not nervous

PS. Yall wanna mess lets mess

Last edited by JohnsonFan; 09-03-2007 at 07:36 PM.
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Jeez, I didn't realize how good their defense is. Thats a pretty impressive unit overall
Old 09-03-2007   #4
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Jeez, I didn't realize how good their defense is. Thats a pretty impressive unit overall
The way it's written makes them seem that much better. I could easily substitute Chiefs players with Texans players on that list and it would work well enough (other than the safeties party).

We will see.
TexansLucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #5
HersheyBar
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 HersheyBar has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
The D only got better. We got rid of some dead weight and the middle is solid as a rock. LB are the best in the league. Look at the depth Chart. With the loss of JA Taylor is going to have to pick it up a notch and has had an outstanding preseason. The D could be responsible for 3 to 10 points if this happens you might as well move on to the next game

This though is more of a team of Marty ball. Not bragging about our Offense. Herm is very concervative and Solori our OC is an *****. For what ever reason Huard and the Offense jelled last year. The poor outing in the preseason is nothing to worry about as he had the exact same preseaon last year.

Chiefs 13 - 10 Texans.
HersheyBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #6
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Texans 23
Chiefs 13

heard it here first :0
Old 09-03-2007   #7
HersheyBar
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Texans 23
Chiefs 13

heard it here first :0
Yes we did. I will be the first to eat some BBQ CROW if you all do win. On the other hand I have been told we serve some very nice BBQ CROW KC style. I might have to ask for a catering service if we do win. There seems to be a lot of you all. LOL
Sponsored links
Old 09-03-2007   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HersheyBar View Post
The D only got better. We got rid of some dead weight and the middle is solid as a rock. LB are the best in the league. Look at the depth Chart. With the loss of JA Taylor is going to have to pick it up a notch and has had an outstanding preseason. The D could be responsible for 3 to 10 points if this happens you might as well move on to the next game

This though is more of a team of Marty ball. Not bragging about our Offense. Herm is very concervative and Solori our OC is an *****. For what ever reason Huard and the Offense jelled last year. The poor outing in the preseason is nothing to worry about as he had the exact same preseaon last year.

Chiefs 13 - 10 Texans.
If you have someone that can run the ball and chew clock, it helps your defense because they aren't on the field as long.

It would be nice if the Texans could put up some early points.
Old 09-03-2007   #9
jaybird
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
If you have someone that can run the ball and chew clock, it helps your defense because they aren't on the field as long.

Two words... Jones and Mathis... special teams is going to have to be huge this game.
jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #10
HersheyBar
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

If that happen the Chiefs are in trouble, if we get the coin toss and keep your offense off the field you all may be in trouble. Either way it is going to be a good game I am sure of it.
Old 09-03-2007   #11
HersheyBar
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
Two words... Jones and Mathis... special teams is going to have to be huge this game.
We have a great punter, and who know who we will have before the week is out for a kicker. Time will tell but if I am the Chiefs I kick it out of bounds on Punts, and squib it or onside the kick offs. Can't be any worse?
Old 09-03-2007   #12
jaybird
Veteran

Quote:
We have a great punter, and who know who we will have before the week is out for a kicker. Time will tell but if I am the Chiefs I kick it out of bounds on Punts, and squib it or onside the kick offs. Can't be any worse?
That would be the smart move. Jones has some serious speed... and Mathis is no slouch either. Both are great returners.
jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #13
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

33-21. Matt Turk recieves the game ball and the chick.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #14
HersheyBar
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
That would be the smart move. Jones has some serious speed... and Mathis is no slouch either. Both are great returners.
That is what I hear. If they are not touching the ball it can only be a plus for the Chiefs
Old 09-03-2007   #15
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I seriously think the key for the Texans will be scoring early and minimizing Larry Johnson's input. If KC is forced to throw too much their glaring weakness will lose the game for them. Their offense both scheme wise and personnel wise is limited by a less than adequate O-line. My main question is will their O-line be able to make the holes for LJ to exploit? I think if we are to be successful on offense we will need Ron Dayne to soften up the defense in the early going.
Old 09-03-2007   #16
HersheyBar
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
I seriously think the key for the Texans will be scoring early and minimizing Larry Johnson's input. If KC is forced to throw too much their glaring weakness will lose the game for them. Their offense both scheme wise and personnel wise is limited by a less than adequate O-line. My main question is will their O-line be able to make the holes for LJ to exploit? I think if we are to be successful on offense we will need Ron Dayne to soften up the defense in the early going.
Well the OL just got a shot in the arm. MacIntosh will start. He practiced today and was very impressive coach Herm pronouced him the starter at LT. He is especially good at run blocking. Passing game might surprise you. There are players you have not even seen yet. The D is very impressive. We can score and if that happens on D it will be a long day for the Texans. I agree with you about the TX's scoring early though. It would be a huge advantage.
Old 09-03-2007   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes we did. I will be the first to eat some BBQ CROW if you all do win. On the other hand I have been told we serve some very nice BBQ CROW KC style. I might have to ask for a catering service if we do win. There seems to be a lot of you all. LOL
Put the link to your normal board and I'll be sure to come by and take a few bites of crow.

Fair's far.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007   #18
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

This game's going to be a tough one, no doubt. KC has a very strong defense and a very good running game. If we can limit the turnovers and get a consistent pass rush on Huard it's game, set, match. LJ's going to do his thing, no doubt about it, but even he can't win this game by himself. Home field advantage, Matt Schaub at QB, defense swarming to the ball.....
Chiefs 14
Texans 27
Old 09-04-2007   #19
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

OH and I forgot to mention, I live in the KC area, know all about the "Passing game" and O-line situation.
Old 09-04-2007   #20
texanskan
Veteran

Section: 115 Row H
Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to texanskan

Texans 27
KC 10

LJ will bust a big one and set up a TD and that rookie kicker they have will go 1-2 and as far as the Texans go I see 2 to's on D that results in 10 points and Matt to AJ for one TD and Green for another add one more Brown FG late to make it a three score game.

"You either got a jump shot or you slang crack rock"
texanskan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read