Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-03-2007   #1
MissouriTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 MissouriTexan was voted MVPMissouriTexan was voted MVPMissouriTexan was voted MVP
Default Free Safety

Just wondering, does anyone know if we have any more options to go out and grab a FS? If we get one I'll be more than happy with our secondary, which is in my opinion the weak spot of the team.
MissouriTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #2
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Free Safety

According to John McClain, he was on Fox 26 Sports Sunday about 2 hours ago and said that R. Smith is still trying to get another safety. He did not specify FS or SS but I would assume the Texans are trying to get a FS.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriTexan View Post
Just wondering, does anyone know if we have any more options to go out and grab a FS? If we get one I'll be more than happy with our secondary, which is in my opinion the weak spot of the team.
There are some guys on the street.

AND, as Rick mentions, we're fat at TE. We can trade either Dreessen or probably Putzier and possibly get someone.

So... let's see if Rick can find something.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #4
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope whoever Rick gets can start at FS, I really don't think I can withstand another season of CC at free safety.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
There are some guys on the street.

AND, as Rick mentions, we're fat at TE. We can trade either Dreessen or probably Putzier and possibly get someone.

So... let's see if Rick can find something.
if not...... I'm really curious to see Von Hutchins get his shot @ FS, actually both Hutchins & Boulware where drafted in the same year (04)? ya never know for sure how players are going to pan out in the NFL from College but maybe, just maybe in a system that fits can come into their own giving the Texans a pair of young & talented safetys

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #6
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that Donovan Darius was cut by the raiders and he would be a perfect fit due to the fact that he has loads of experience and that we are so young even with M. Boulware on the team. Darius would be a special player for us.
Old 09-03-2007   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
if not...... I'm really curious to see Von Hutchins get his shot @ FS, actually both Hutchins & Boulware where drafted in the same year (04)? ya never know for sure how players are going to pan out in the NFL from College but maybe, just maybe in a system that fits can come into their own giving the Texans a pair of young & talented safetys
Well, I liked his pick against dabearse. I'd feel better at seeing what he can do if he could beat CC for the position outright... which might happen some time during this season if he gets more time to learn the position.

But, still, 5' 9" is really, really small. Aren't FS's usually a bit bigger than that?
Sponsored links
Old 09-03-2007   #8
MissouriTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 MissouriTexan was voted MVPMissouriTexan was voted MVPMissouriTexan was voted MVP

I think we need a FS who's pretty much purely pass defense focused; we have plenty of run defense at this point. Are Darius or VH more hard hitters or coverage guys?
Old 09-03-2007   #9
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think we need a FS who's pretty much purely pass defense focused; we have plenty of run defense at this point. Are Darius or VH more hard hitters or coverage guys?
Darius is a hard hitter for sure. He wasn't very effective in coverage last year and that's the reason he got the can. He would just be another SS, and we don't need one right now.
TexansLucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #10
MissouriTexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
Darius is a hard hitter for sure. He wasn't very effective in coverage last year and that's the reason he got the can. He would just be another SS, and we don't need one right now.
Never thought we'd be able to say that.
Old 09-03-2007   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But, still, 5' 9" is really, really small. Aren't FS's usually a bit bigger than that?
Bob Sanders is only 5'8"

Ed Reed is a giant @ 5'11"

somewhere in between should be acceptable then

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Seems like VH is more ball-hawking, pass D. Don't know about Darius. I totally agree with you on your first sentence.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #13
whiskeyrbl

Josh Gattis FS was released by Jax. He is a rookie was said to be having a good rookie camp. Was 105th taken overall in this years draft. 6'1 211lbs. and runs a 4.55 40.
Old 09-03-2007   #14
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
Josh Gattis FS was released by Jax. He is a rookie was said to be having a good rookie camp. Was 105th taken overall in this years draft. 6'1 211lbs. and runs a 4.55 40.
I know a lot of people thought he'd be a good late round sleeper pick out of Wake.Guy just seems like a gamer in the mold of Kerry Rhodes. Not sure if he'd be more a project this year or might be able to crack the lineup during the season but i really wouldn't mind giving him a look.Obviously FS is a glaring need here. Hopefully Rick wil lbe able to find something before the start of the season.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Bob Sanders is only 5'8"

Ed Reed is a giant @ 5'11"

somewhere in between should be acceptable then

The better shorter FS's have vertical jump that allow them to compensate for their lack of height. This is somewhat worrisome in that for example Boulware at 6'2" has a vertical jump of 39.5 inches, where as Hutchins has a vertical jump of only 34.5. Von Hutchins is not going to easily be able to consistently pass defense jump balls with today's typically tall WR's and TE's.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #16
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The better shorter FS's have vertical jump that allow them to compensate for their lack of height. This is somewhat worrisome in that for example Boulware at 6'2" has a vertical jump of 39.5 inches, where as Hutchins has a vertical jump of only 34.5. Von Hutchins is not going to easily be able to consistently pass defense jump balls with today's typically tall WR's and TE's.
Good point.

Boulware's strength is his leaping ability and his physical play.
Old 09-03-2007   #17
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
See this is a pick I never understood on Draft Day. You take Reggie Nelson as your FS with your first overall pick and then they take Gattis in the 5th? Were they trying to convert him? If so, why not take a more traditional SS? They already had Nelson in the fold so to me this was a foolish decision by Jax to take Gattis.

I say lets grab him for the practice squad. Let him develop. Maybe he can be our FS of the future and Harrison can be our SS of the future.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
See this is a pick I never understood on Draft Day. You take Reggie Nelson as your FS with your first overall pick and then they take Gattis in the 5th? Were they trying to convert him? If so, why not take a more traditional SS? They already had Nelson in the fold so to me this was a foolish decision by Jax to take Gattis.

I say lets grab him for the practice squad. Let him develop. Maybe he can be our FS of the future and Harrison can be our SS of the future.
Yeah, that was a really weird pick. Like it was insurance in case Nelson didn't pan out.
Old 09-03-2007   #19
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, that was a really weird pick. Like it was insurance in case Nelson didn't pan out.
So, now is the time to take advantage and grab him for our PS.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #20
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
I remember Kubiak talking about him pre-draft, it would be nice to pick him up.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read