Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-02-2007   #1
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Article on Boulware

This is a little old but it kind of tells you about his character and how he was viewed in Seattle. I think that he was a victim or Mora wanting to go a different route and putting his own stamp on the team IMO.

Quote:
KIRKLAND, Wash. -- Blessings like this seem more like a test of faith.

But yes, Michael Boulware says he is "blessed" while being benched.

The Seahawks' safety gave up a team-high seven touchdown passes last season, according to statistical service StatsPass, while serving as a primary target for opponents on a Seattle defense that surrendered a whopping 55 plays of at least 20 yards.

So instead of starting, he's in summer school.

Boulware says he couldn't be happier absorbing the training camp lessons of Deon Grant and Brian Russell. Seattle signed those veterans this offseason in replace Boulware and Ken Hamlin, who left for Dallas, as starters on its back line of a revamped secondary.

The teaching is working both ways. As Grant and Russell show Boulware the finer points of techniques, footwork and studying opponents, Boulware explains to the newcomers the theories behind Seattle's defensive schemes - which this season promise to be more aggressive at rushing quarterbacks to decrease the dependence on pass coverage.

"It's a unique situation for me personally," Boulware said of being taught while being a teacher, and of being happy despite also being demoted.

"For me, class is in session. I'm learning the tricks of the trade. It's been great. They (Grant and Russell) are like having two more coaches.

"They are making me so much more knowledgeable in my game for my career. I'm blessed, I really am."

The fourth-year veteran and second-round draft choice in 2004 from Florida State was anything but blessed in '06. He lost a starting job for the first time in his life, spending half of the 16 regular season games as a substitute and on special teams. The lowest point came Dec. 24 when San Diego's Vincent Jackson slipped behind him for a 37-yard touchdown with 29 seconds left to give the Chargers a 20-17 win.

After that game, Boulware openly cried in the locker room.

Yes, he was a target last season. Opposing offenses exploited his tendency to play like the college linebacker he was and not the NFL safety he is. And Seahawks fans directed their ire at him for Seattle's penchant to give up huge plays.

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Boulware was caught between coaches asking him to play like a linebacker, closer to the line to aggressively defend running plays, and demanding he drop deep into pass coverage as a defensive back on the next play.

"Last year, I had tendencies to think and react like a linebacker would," Boulware said, acknowledging it is a tricky switch.

"But now I'm thinking only, 'It's a safety in the box.' No more linebacker."

Last week at Green Bay, Boulware didn't look like a linebacker. Or a safety. He looked like an Olympic sprinter.

He ran down Will Blackmon, the Packers' second-year game breaker with 4.47-second speed in the 40-yard dash, at the end of an 83-yard kickoff return. Boulware made up a deficit of about five yards to Blackmon before leaping, lunging and pulling him down by the collar of his shoulder pads at the 15-yard line.

The desperate tackle drew a personal foul penalty as part of the NFL's relatively new "horse-collar" rule. But teammates were in awe of the inspiring play in an otherwise dreadful 48-13 loss.

"Boulware made one of the most unbelievable plays I've seen," said Pro Bowl middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu, whose drive and intensity is far more renowned than Boulware's. "I mean, he chased down a cornerback. And he's a converted linebacker."

Coach Mike Holmgren, who spent much of last season explaining Boulware's misplays, gushed after this one.

"It was great effort on Michael's part," Holmgren said, adding he didn't think it warranted a penalty based upon the rule's intent. "He just dove out and that's what he could grab."

Without a starting job anymore, Boulware is latching on to whatever he can.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/..._Boulware.html
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007   #2
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Article on Boulware

I also found this little gem from a fan of the Seahawks. What idiots...

Quote:
Comment by city_by_the_bay @ 16:51 - Saturday, September 1st, 2007
You just went from houston - America's unwashed armpit - to Seattle - it's sparkling green eyes.

You went from NFL joke to NFL royalty.

And you sound like you could take it or leave it.

Ehh, what the heck, guess I'll go rush the passer in Seattle.

But not so fast - the only rushing you'll be doing is downfield on kickoffs and punts.

Comment by msw72 @ 20:28 - Saturday, September 1st, 2007
LOL great comments city by the bay.

Comment by Shaft75 @ 00:16 - Sunday, September 2nd, 2007
I would be a little upset too. Leave Houston for a city that has too much rain and high suicide rates.
I grew up with Rocky Bernard from junior high through high school and he told me how much he disliked the city of Seattle.
And NFL royalty???
A couple of playoff appearances and Brian Bosworth. That is a lot to hang your hat on...
http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/seah...ments#comments
Old 09-02-2007   #3
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
I also found this little gem from a fan of the Seahawks. What idiots...

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/seah...ments#comments
nice find on the article and rep coming your way for the witty retort!
Old 09-02-2007   #4
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

"NFL royalty" is my favorite line there. there was a period of about 20 years when no one knew what was going on with the seahawks, because no one cared.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007   #5
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if we can be talking to Seattle about a city that has too much rain at this point.

But NFL royalty Seattle is not.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007   #6
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
I don't know if we can be talking to Seattle about a city that has too much rain at this point.

But NFL royalty Seattle is not.
Yeah, but come on... How many drenched games come out of Seattle. Houston is at least smart enough to build a stadium with a retractable roof.
Old 09-03-2007   #7
Shaft75
Site Contributor

So nobody found this article interesting?

Sponsored links
Old 09-03-2007   #8
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

http://origin.elpasotimes.com/ci_6793177

Quote:
HOUSTON—Michael Boulware went from being a rookie sensation to a disappointment in three full seasons in Seattle.

After being relegated to a backup role with the Seahawks last season, the big safety gets another chance with this weekend's trade to the Houston Texans. Houston sent former first round pick Jason Babin to Seattle in exchange for Boulware.

"I do think it's a fresh start and a new beginning for me," Boulware said. "I'm really excited about the opportunity."

Boulware, a converted linebacker, was impressive as a rookie in 2004 when he played his way into the starting lineup and finished with five interceptions and 63 tackles. He helped the Seahawks to the Super Bowl in 2005 by starting 16 games and grabbing four interceptions with 73 tackles.

Then came last season. Boulware started early in the year but was routinely beaten on big plays and soon saw the field mostly as a backup and on special teams.

"I lost my focus a little bit," he said. "I got beat out. It wasn't what the Seahawks were looking for. It was a tough situation for me. But I'm glad I'm out of there and I'm down here in Houston."

Coach Gary Kubiak said he wasn't concerned about Boulware's struggles last season and that ups and downs are part of the game.

"When you're making switches for players, there's probably a reason why you're doing it, both teams," Kubiak said. "I know what he's been through, but I also know he's played some good football and I
Advertisement
know he made our team better by being here. We have to have that type of presence and we needed some help at safety. It was a no-brainer."
Quote:
t 6-foot-2 and 225 pounds, Boulware is more than five inches taller and 20 pounds heavier than Simmons. His size is one of the things the Texans like best about him.

"My biggest asset right now is my ability to play the run," Boulware said. "I definitely am a bigger guy so I'm a bigger threat in the box. Also in the past, I've been known to get my hands on the ball as well, so from time to time, I can make a play, too."
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
t 6-foot-2 and 225 pounds, Boulware is more than five inches taller and 20 pounds heavier than Simmons. His size is one of the things the Texans like best about him.

"My biggest asset right now is my ability to play the run," Boulware said. "I definitely am a bigger guy so I'm a bigger threat in the box. Also in the past, I've been known to get my hands on the ball as well, so from time to time, I can make a play, too."
Heh. Jason Simmons at 205? I don't think so. I'd guess 15 pounds less than that.
Old 09-03-2007   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno if he can be ready for the Chiefs, but his size and strength in the box against the stud KC rusher LJ would be a lot more reassuring than that of the smallish Simmons.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
would be a lot more reassuring than that of the smallish Simmons.
The smallish Simmons and smallish Dunta have been two of the most reliable and big hitters the Texans have had.

Signed,

Marcus Coleman--prototypical safety size and wussy hitter.
Old 09-03-2007   #12
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The smallish Simmons and smallish Dunta have been two of the most reliable and big hitters the Texans have had.

Signed,

Marcus Coleman--prototypical safety size and wussy hitter.
Thankfully, I don't think anyone will mistake Boulware with Marcus Coleman.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read