Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-01-2007   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans trade Babin for safety Boulware !

The Texans traded defensive end Jason Babin to Seattle today for safety Michael Boulware.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5101129.html
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007   #2
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans trade Babin for safety Boulware !

Just saw that. I hate to see Babin go, but the safety position needed shoring up.
Old 09-01-2007   #3
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007   #4
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 139897 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just saw it too. My first reaction is EEEK! I was hoping Babin was finally settling into a spot, but I guess the coaches have given up some of that hope.

We definitely NEED a safety, but was this move worth it?

Not exactly a GLOWING endorsement.

"The Seahawks' safety gave up a team-high seven touchdown passes last season, according to statistical service StatsPass, while serving as a primary target for opponents on a Seattle defense that surrendered a whopping 55 plays of at least 20 yards."

"The fourth-year veteran and second-round draft choice in 2004 from Florida State was anything but blessed in '06. He lost a starting job for the first time in his life, spending half of the 16 regular season games as a substitute and on special teams. The lowest point came Dec. 24 when San Diego's Vincent Jackson slipped behind him for a 37-yard touchdown with 29 seconds left to give the Chargers a 20-17 win.

After that game, Boulware openly cried in the locker room. Yes, he was a target last season. Opposing offenses exploited his tendency to play like the college linebacker he was and not the NFL safety he is. And Seahawks fans directed their ire at him for Seattle's penchant to give up huge plays."

Last edited by disaacks3; 09-01-2007 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Added Content
disaacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007   #5
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Just saw it too. My first reaction is EEEK! I was hoping Babin was finally settling into a spot, but I guess the coaches have given up some of that hope.

I think with the emergence of Orr and Cocharn, plus Kalu and Weaver (when he reurns) and then Mario I think this was a move we could defiantly afford to make.

I've been a Boulware fan since he entered the draft.
Old 09-01-2007   #6
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, I guess Kubiak's talk of MOVES did mean a trade was coming.
Old 09-01-2007   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Wait, wait, wait..

HARRISON IR'd?!
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-01-2007   #8
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Holy ****!

HOLY ****!

Boy, was I wrong on that one. I didn't figure there was any way in the world they'd pull a deal off like that at this stage.

Man alive.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007   #9
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, I am not sure what to think as I don't anything about Boulware.

Anyone have insight on the caliber of player this guys is?

Babin was having a pretty good pre-season I thought, I really hope it was worth it On the flip side, I am glad we added a safety if he's good.
Old 09-01-2007   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Like they say, you have to give up something to get something.

Look at the bright side. Most of you were declaring Babin a bust in earlier seasons anyway. Would you ever have dreamed that they could get Boulware for Babin staight up?

Don't think so.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007   #11
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Wait, wait, wait..

HARRISON IR'd?!
Between the "supposed" hammy pull and the concusion he suffered last week (or was it Mitchell) not overly shocking, might be better for us then to try and sneak him across the waiver wire.
Old 09-01-2007   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

wow...pretty shocking. Babin has been one of our best pass rushers. It's time for Mario to step up!

I like that we're getting a quality safety, though. It has been one of the weakest aspects of the team.
Old 09-01-2007   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Michael Boulware is a freak....dude has great size and is a big hitter (converted linebacker out of college...I actually wanted to draft him)....but gives up tons of big plays in space. He's been a big disappointment in Seattle....frankly I kinda like the trade however. We could use the run support since I wasn't impressed at all with CC Brown as a SS. We will still have issues with safety play in space/coverage. I don't know if I'd call him a "quality safety" though....he is a physical freak (great speed for his size) however.

http://www.texanstalk.com/content/view/31/16/

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007   #14
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Michael Boulware is a freak....dude has great size and is a big hitter (converted linebacker out of college...I actually wanted to draft him)....but gives up tons of big plays in space. He's been a big disappointment in Seattle....frankly I kinda like the trade however. We could use the run support since I wasn't impressed at all with CC Brown as a SS. We will still have issues with safety play in space/coverage. I don't know if I'd call him a "quality safety" though....he is a physical freak (great speed for his size) however.
Yup he's pretty much a Roy Williams clone. Played LB at FSU (I think?), and I think he is defiantly now the best safety on our roster, but he is a SS.

I still like this deal alot, mainly because I think Boulware is better then all of our safties and I think Orr will make a better pass Down DE (as he is much better in spave then Babin).
Old 09-01-2007   #15
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 188 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

6'3" 220...very nice. I hope he can do more than just be a runstopper.
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007   #16
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan

i really like this trade but the other DLineman are goign to have to step up!

PS. Yall wanna mess lets mess
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
yeah, he was benched last October for giving up too many big plays. My perception of 'quality' is that they are better than what we've got, but it's not like pro-bowl quality or anything.

I think he'll give us good run support, but I'm still concerned about our pass defense considering we can barely muster a pass rush and just traded what is arguably the best pass rusher on the team.
Old 09-01-2007   #18
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

I thiught the team needed more of a FS versus SS? I have not seen many Seattle games, so I am not sure either on his play.
Old 09-01-2007   #19
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 130706 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Good move.

Boulware is a solid player.

Shows that the coaches are not worried about the defensive line also.

Smith and Kubiak sure aren't afraid to make moves. Smart moves also.
Old 09-01-2007   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

No, you can't run on our D, but just take the snap and immediately chunk a bomb as deep down-field as you can, because a receiver will catch it.

I said FREE-safety!

All-in-all, I guess this makes our team a little bit better, but I'm sure getting tired of hard-hitting DBs who can't cover receivers.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read