Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Buster Davis...Cut by the Cardinals...

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt promised when he took over that it would be production on the field that determined a player’s fate.

So perhaps it shouldn’t have come as a big surprise when third-round draft pick Buster Davis, a linebacker, was among the 21 players the team released Friday afternoon in order to get down to the 53-man roster limit.

“(Buster) never really stepped up to what we needed,” Whisenhunt said. “We said going in we would pick the best 53 for the football team and we made that clear.

“I had even spoken with Buster that his level of performance on the field was not quite what we had seen on the tape.”

The team will try to bring Davis back to the practice squad, Whisenhunt said.

Among the players let go were defensive tackle Jonathan Lewis, a 2006 draft pick, and both Micheal Spurlock and LeRon McCoy, a pair of receivers thought to be vying for a final wideout spot.

Among those who have initially made the team include undrafted rookie center/guard Lyle Sendlein and four tight ends – Leonard Pope, Troy Bienemann, rookie Ben Patrick and Tim Euhus. The Cards will also go with two quarterbacks on the roster after cutting Shane Boyd.

Boyd is eligible for the practice squad. Receiver Anquan Boldin will serve as the emergency third quarterback. The team will put a quarterback on the practice squad to have an extra arm for practices.

The choice to keep five receivers instead of six was in part based on the decision to keep Patrick as a fourth tight end.

For now, the team is keeping a roster spot for linebacker Chike Okeafor, who is recovering from biceps surgery. Whisenhunt said the decision to keep Okeafor on the roster or put him on injured reserve should come in the next few days.

The other offensive players released were quarterback Lang Campbell, running back Steve Baylark, fullback Roshon Vercher, receiver Matt Trannon, tight end Alex Shor and offensive linemen Brandon Gorin, Brian Johnson, Scott Peters and Elliot Vallejo.

The other defensive players cut were linebackers David Holloway and Pago Togafau and defensive backs Justin Wyatt, Darrell Hunter, Michael Adams and Brandon Keeler.

The decisions point to the waiver wire claims the Cardinals are almost certain to chase once other teams make their cuts. Cutting all three backup offensive tackles on the roster – Gorin, Mitchell and Vallejo – means the short-term backup right now is Elton Brown (who has gotten reps there in practice) or the possibility of moving starting guard Reggie Wells outside if there is a long-term injury.

“I like our roster,” Whisenhunt said. “There are definitely a couple of spots we will be looking at on the waiver wire. … If there is nobody there, we are comfortable with the roster as it is.”

Teams must be down to their 53-man limit by Saturday at 3 p.m. Arizona time. Sunday the teams can compile an eight-man practice squad starting at 9 a.m. Arizona time.

I don't know how good he was from college, maybe someone here can inform us...but a 3rd round pick getting cut...lol it would be hilarious if he went elsewhere and eventually became a productive starter...I mean look at our 3rd rounder.

There is no way he clears waivers.

I think that is just crazy to cut a 3rd round draft pick...what a waste of a pick.

I remember Buster Davis coming out and never got to see him play, a lot of the draft experts were pretty high on him and felt he could be a productive starter.

Its funny because its not like he is getting cut from the Bears or Ravens or something...but the Cardinals. This is like Michael Bush getting drafted to the Raiders in the 2nd round...and then getting cut...

I mean you'd think they'd give the guy a shot. Its not like he's been in the league 5 years. Some guys are just slow learners. If I had a OLB spot empty and had the cap space, I'd get this guy in a second...but I am not a GM.

What some Card's fans said about Buster performance last night...

He looked fat, short, slow, and ran like he had a stick up his rump.
Buster was the worst player on the field. He is a shrimp and looks completely lost. He should get cut because he is terrible.
Thats great. He'll have plenty of time to adjust on a practice squad or on the bench, but you cannot honestly say he played well last night. He wandered aimlessly and when he made contact he got steamrolled. Those are facts. Watch the game again. I don't see how they can keep a guy like that given the depth issues at LB.
he was making contract and still getting destroyed..and thats putting it kindly..he looked like a scared turtle when he is about to tackle and gets bulled over

link: http://forums.azcardinals.com/showthread.php?t=23869&page=3

I'm surprise they didn't atleast give him a year to develop and see what he can do next year... guess the coaches didn't see any potential in him.

At 5'9" 240 lbs., he may be too small for the big leagues.

I wouldn't say that. DeMeco and him weigh about the same and Meco is a bit taller and the knock against Meco was he was too small.

I just think it is silly to cut a 3rd round pick because of poor play. When I heard I thought maybe he had a serious injury and they cut him...found out about poor play...

I mean not every rookie comes into camp tearing it up. Even if he was downright HORRIBLE most times its a mental hump they have to get over. Cutting him though...I mean they just threw away a 3rd round pick just like that. I doubt he'll get through Waivers and gets put onto their practice squad, I highly doubt that.

I really like Buster Davis, but there may be a disconnect between his and the expectations of an NFL staff. I seem to recall him being continuously dawged on by Singletary at one of the pre draft events.

I wouldn't say that. DeMeco and him weigh about the same and Meco is a bit taller and the knock against Meco was he was too small.
I just think it is silly to cut a 3rd round pick because of poor play. When I heard I thought maybe he had a serious injury and they cut him...found out about poor play...

I mean not every rookie comes into camp tearing it up. Even if he was downright HORRIBLE most times its a mental hump they have to get over. Cutting him though...I mean they just threw away a 3rd round pick just like that. I doubt he'll get through Waivers and gets put onto their practice squad, I highly doubt that.

I'm not saying the guy, a 3rd round pick, doesn't deserve a solid look by drafting team, but I wouldn't say that a 5 inch height difference is a small difference for an LB, especially in a cross pattern coverage. (DeMeco 6'2").

not just short, but slow, has bad instincts and is scared to tackle, apparently. perhaps he took for granted his 3rd round draft status and didn't try. wouldn't want that kinda guy on my team no matter how ya slice it.

It seems like the Cardinals love to draft big names and follow Mel Kiper's big board all the time.

I don't know how good he was from college, maybe someone here can inform us...but a 3rd round pick getting cut...lol it would be hilarious if he went elsewhere and eventually became a productive starter...I mean look at our 3rd rounder.

Charles Hill anyone?

Ummm...I think we have an attitude problem here"

Cardinals | B. Davis refused to join practice squad
Wed, 5 Sep 2007 00:39:41 -0700

Mike Tulumello, of the East Valley Tribune, reports free-agent LB Buster Davis (Cardinals) refused to join the Arizona Cardinals' practice squad.

per www.kffl.com/hotw/

It's what I heard.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/Sports/Headlines/sptNFL01090407.htm

I don't know if it's true or not. it's looking more like not, since he still isn't on the list. Sounds like he had an attitude problem and the Cards podcast said there were reasons other than performance that got him cut. If that's the case, other teams are less likely to take a chance on a guy who showed little to nothing in preseason.

It's what I heard.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/Sports/Headlines/sptNFL01090407.htm

I don't know if it's true or not. it's looking more like not, since he still isn't on the list. Sounds like he had an attitude problem and the Cards podcast said there were reasons other than performance that got him cut. If that's the case, other teams are less likely to take a chance on a guy who showed little to nothing in preseason.

More confrimage:

Lions | B. Davis added
Wed, 5 Sep 2007 17:18:16 -0700

The Detroit Lions have announced they have signed free-agent LB Buster Davis (Cardinals) to their practice squad.

Lions | Trying to revive Davis' career
Wed, 5 Sep 2007 17:16:42 -0700

Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said the team is looking to revive the career of rookie LB Buster Davis, who the team recently added. He noted the team wants to have Davis down in to 230 pounds.

www.kffl.com/hotw/

Back