Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-31-2007   #1
TexansSB07
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 TexansSB07 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexansSB07 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default You Know You Got DEPTH, When You Can Cut 4 Veteran Players

We cut Dexter McCleon, Tyrone Poole, Bethel Johnson and Keenan McCardell. You know you got some DEPTH, when you can afford to let some veteran players go from your team. I am EXCITED about the opening in 9 days of 2007 season, HOW 'BOUT THEM TEXANS!!!!
TexansSB07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: You Know You Got DEPTH, When You Can Cut 4 Veteran Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSB07 View Post
We cut Dexter McCleon, Tyrone Poole, Bethel Johnson and Keenan McCardell. You know you got some DEPTH, when you can afford to let some veteran players go from your team. I am EXCITED about the opening in 9 days of 2007 season, HOW 'BOUT THEM TEXANS!!!!
I don't mind letting some vets go. But I don't consider Bethel Johnson as such. Well, he did have 5 years in the league, so I guess he's a veteran. I always thought he's a good return man, but then, we have too many of them already.
That is a good sign that we let him go, I guess.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007   #3
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSB07 View Post
Actually, you BELIEVE you have depth when you cut vets without thinking you are hurting yourself.

Signed,
Wali Lundy
2006 Rookie Preseason Player of the Year
2007 Roster Cut
Old 08-31-2007   #4
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

It may be that we have depth or we just picked up a few crappy vets . It seemed that a big percentage of the vets we signed this off-season , are now goners . Wali Lundy was the cut that I was sad to see , I liked the kid . My little nephew still swears hes Steve Francis playing for the Texans , lol .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007   #5
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

McCardell, McCleon, Poole are what 34-37 years old?

I'm happy that the Texans appear to be getting to the point where they don't have to keep guys like that.

Wali has been running soft and light all preseason. He's a much better fit in a cutback zone scheme than a Sherman power game.

The Texans will be getting where they need to be when they can cut guys like Jordan Black and C.C. Brown without a flinch.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post

I'm happy that the Texans appear to be getting to the point where they don't have to keep guys like that.

Wali has been running soft and light all preseason. He's a much better fit in a cutback zone scheme than a Sherman power game.
True.

But I guess my point was to the original premise of the headline. Knowing that we have depth.

Lundy looked great in preseason last year and then when the games were for real, not so much.

I hope that the good play in the 2007 preseason isn't fools gold.

I like Ahman Green as the #1. And then I'm not the biggest believers in Dayne and Gado. But that's what we have, so it better work.
Old 08-31-2007   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yea I've been real excited about McCardell myself, but as our receivers coach. In other words, I like who they kept and I like who they cut at WR.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-31-2007   #8
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
True.

But I guess my point was to the original premise of the headline. Knowing that we have depth.

Lundy looked great in preseason last year and then when the games were for real, not so much.

I like Ahman Green as the #1. And then I'm not the biggest believers in Dayne and Gado. But that's what we have, so it better work.
true TC, very true
in a positive light
at least it isn't Allen,Wells, and baxter ..
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You can say that again!

Maybe I've developed an allergy to koolaide or something, but I want to see regular season evidence that we've turned a corner with this franchise.

Chester Pitts was talking about the ‘losing atmosphere’ of past Texans teams on the sideline last night. That kind of negative attitude is hard to shake for a team, and he even mentioned a “here we go again” mentality when things got down in the past. I want to see our team overcome themselves more than anything else. Consistent focus for four quarters and over a period of games type of proof.
Old 08-31-2007   #10
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
You can say that again!

Maybe I've developed an allergy to koolaide or something, but I want to see regular season evidence that we've turned a corner with this franchise.

Chester Pitts was talking about the ‘losing atmosphere’ of past Texans teams on the sideline last night. That kind of negative attitude is hard to shake for a team, and he even mentioned a “here we go again” mentality when things got down in the past. I want to see our team overcome themselves more than anything else. Consistent focus for four quarters and over a period of games type of proof.
That's one reason Kubiak likes Jared Z, because of that tough mentality, never giving up..don't get down on yourself, battle back...and Kubes is infusing this team with that kind of thought process.....and it is working, and it will pay dividends. There will be a strong shift this year.
Old 08-31-2007   #11
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

I to must admit that I am afraid of the fools gold syndrome.
Old 08-31-2007   #12
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

What fools gold?

Gado over Lundy?

Jacoby or Andre Davis over McCardell, Anderson or Bethel?

Wynn, Hutchins, Bennett, Fletcher or Harrison over McCleon or Poole?

Going 2-2?

Please fill in the blanks.

I don't see a aw**** here. Were there some clear risks taken today or unrealistic expectations based on preseason that I happened to miss?

Last edited by aj.; 08-31-2007 at 10:26 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007   #13
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakebomb View Post
I to must admit that I am afraid of the fools gold syndrome.
I hate to even think about it.... nope, cant think about it.

**Of course this is in terms of our great pre season play and them getting me all excited for the season. Lets hope they maitain and our NFL team FINALLY breaks out!!!
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007   #14
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
What fools gold?

Gado over Lundy?

Jacoby or Andre Davis over McCardell, Anderson or Bethel?

Wynn, Hutchins, Bennett, Fletcher or Harrison over McCleon or Poole?

Going 2-2?

Please fill in the blanks.

I don't see a aw**** here. Were there some clear risks taken today or unrealistic expectations based on preseason that I happened to miss?
I am not complaining about the cuts. I am only speaking to the headline of this thread.

The headline said, "You Know You Got DEPTH...." Well I don't know the team has depth after we cut a bunch of old guys.

When I referenced fools gold, I was talking about last season. Last preseason, the young running backs had a terrific preseason. The Texans could run the ball like crazy and it didn't matter who we had behind the line.

So we went into the season with a bunch of rookies and the running game looked beyond horrible and we had to go to emergency mode to get Dayne and Gado and had the let's see who the RB is this week thing going on.

This upcoming season the Texans have for wide receiver Johnson, Walter, Jones, Mathis and Davis. AJ is the only one of those guys who is truly proven. And I am guessing the TEs will be getting a lot of catches. But cutting the other wide receivers doesn't tell me that we have depth, nor does it tell me that the fine performances that the young receivers had in camp and in the preseason will continue into the real season.

I hope it does, but I don't know that the Texans have "depth" because two of the three guys the Texans will be relying on haven't had much real season action.

I like Green, but I am not sure that Green, Dayne, Gado means that the Texans have a lot of depth.

Apologies that my first post from Mr. Lundy wasn't terribly clear.
It was mostly a reaction to seeing the title of this thread.
Old 09-01-2007   #15
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Keenan McCardell signed his own release .... He screwed around toying with the idea of playing for a couple other teams for more money instead of signing quickly , getting to camp and going to work . Had he been in camp earlier , been in top shape it would have been much harder for the staff to cut him .

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007   #16
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan

y did kubi cut lundy ne way?

PS. Yall wanna mess lets mess
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonFan View Post
Cause he didn't think he was better than Gado.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007   #18
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan

thanks captain oblivious

PS. Yall wanna mess lets mess
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007   #19
MissouriTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 MissouriTexan was voted MVPMissouriTexan was voted MVPMissouriTexan was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonFan View Post
I'm not trying to be a nag, but would it kill you to take the .5 extra seconds to type out "Why" and "anyway"?

But onto your question. Sherman's running offense apparently relies on power runners moreso than finesse (this is based on what I've heard on this board, not my personal observations.) This means that Lundy's style of play really doesn't fit this system. It's not a lack of talent, it's the fact that we need bigger guys who can break tackles.
MissouriTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007   #20
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Man, I thought Wali would make it. He had a pretty good outing for a rookie last year, but I guess his technique didn't mesh well, and Gado having been in the system probably hindered Wali, too. Good luck to him elsewhere.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read