Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2007   #1
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer
Default Time to call it..........

Regular Season Division Prediction (just for fun):

Colts: 11-5
Texans: 9-7 (possible wild card, but probably not)
Jags: 8-8
Titans: 5-11

I really think this could happen. What are your predictions, let's have them!
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #2
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Time to call it..........

Colts 12-4

Texans 8-8

Jags 7-9

Titans 4-12
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #3
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Colts: 12-4 (5-1)

Texans: 8-8 (3-3)

Jags: 8-8 (3-3)

Titans: 5-11 (2-4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #4
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP

Colts: 10-6 There defense is still questionable, if not moreso than last season. Teams are going to have a plan when Peyton starts the 2 minute offense and it will take them out of some of the games that they won last season.

Texans: 10-6 To explain myself, after watching the Texans / Dallas game Saturday night I am convinced that we are not only much improved but we will be a top 10 defense this season and our offense will be difficult to game plan in its first season with a new quarterback under center and our diamond in the rough, Jacoby Jones. Every game this season is winnable, including the Chargers and the Saints (although I have them both picked as losses to avoid being TOO homerish).

Jaguars: 8-8 A running game and a secondary, not enough to go over .500

Tacks: 7-9 Vince may win them a couple, but they will sputter with the numerous question marks on both sides of the ball.

My $0.02

Last edited by Exithios; 08-29-2007 at 01:23 PM.
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I mostly don't believe in predicting records but I do it from time to time because it's one of those irresistable things fans do.

I expect the Colts to plummet and think that they will battle the Jags (in what proves to be Del Rio's last season) for the bottom of the division. The Titans I worry might win the division. The Texans I think will post a winning record for the first time ever.

In no particular order

Texans 9-7 to 11-5
Titans 9-7 to 11-5
Colts 6-10 to 8-8
Jaguars 5-11 to 8-8

I think the Texans are a lot stronger than many think and they surprise a few people. I think the Titans are a lot like the Texans in that they've rebuilt quickly and are going to win some games that nobody expected. I do expect the Colts to have a post-Super Bowl slump and that's not going out on a limb. What would be surprising would be if they kept on going the way they have been and won another division title.
The Jaguars I just think aren't that talented and I don't think they're very well put together as a team. I think they've gone about as far as they're capable of going under that staff.
Old 08-29-2007   #6
Vega
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Vega is on the Pro-Bowl ballotVega is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Texans 16-0
Colts 0-16
Jags 0-16
Titans 0-16

I realize that all three can't go 0-16 since they have to play each other, so please don't bother pointing that out. I just don't care.

I'm on a reality-challenged football high based on meaningless pre-season games and blind optimism... but I like it.

Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #7
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
Texans 16-0
Colts 0-16
Jags 0-16
Titans 0-16

I realize that all three can't go 0-16 since they have to play each other, so please don't bother pointing that out. I just don't care.

I'm on a reality-challenged football high based on meaningless pre-season games and blind optimism... but I like it.

1-15 works for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2007   #8
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I mostly don't believe in predicting records but I do it from time to time because it's one of those irresistable things fans do.

I expect the Colts to plummet and think that they will battle the Jags (in what proves to be Del Rio's last season) for the bottom of the division. The Titans I worry might win the division. The Texans I think will post a winning record for the first time ever.

In no particular order

Texans 9-7 to 11-5
Titans 9-7 to 11-5
Colts 6-10 to 8-8
Jaguars 5-11 to 8-8

I think the Texans are a lot stronger than many think and they surprise a few people. I think the Titans are a lot like the Texans in that they've rebuilt quickly and are going to win some games that nobody expected. I do expect the Colts to have a post-Super Bowl slump and that's not going out on a limb. What would be surprising would be if they kept on going the way they have been and won another division title.
The Jaguars I just think aren't that talented and I don't think they're very well put together as a team. I think they've gone about as far as they're capable of going under that staff.

VY may be able to win a few games on his own (which he is...on his own), but 9?!?!?!?!?!?!? Not a chance. If they win 6 games this year it will be amazing. I have 9-7 based off of meaningless preseason games and blind optimism as someone pointed out earlier. But the Titans matching that, or BETTER??? No way.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #9
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans 10-6 self explanitory

Colts 8-8 (High powered offence and no d except for Freeney and Sanders don't mix)

Jags 7-9 (might go 500 but the qb problem is a problem and the WRs had troubles last year)

Titans 3-13 (Madden Curse take's another victem with Young and Collins can't get it done anymore)
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #10
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

It's too hard to call in the AFC South because of all the changes in personnel. This is a best guess, but I'm putting little stock in it. The AFC is going to be a wild division this year.

Jags: 10-6
Titans: 9-7
Colts: 8-8
Texans: 6-10

The Jags are hot and cold. Last year they were cold, so this year they're hot. It's a really awful way to base a prediction, but that's what I got...

The Titans find a way to win. I don't think they are as decimated as some people think.

The Colts are decimated, but they still have a core group of mega-players like Harrison, Clark, Saturday, Freeney, and of course, Manning. I'm probably putting them too low, but not everybody could be 10-6.

Texans: I've always predicted them low, and I look forward to them showing me wrong. However, I have predicted them up one game than I predicted them the last three months. That should count for something. I predict the Texans are going to frustrate a lot of fans this year. They will lose a lot of very close games, and they are still learning. However, in 2008, I predict all the wrinkles to be ironed out and them to make a strong play-off run.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

As I write this, I'm coming across as awful homerish to myself. But, I can't help it.

Wk1 - Win over KC: Our pass D is suspect, but our run D looks to be pretty solid. We have a great MLB and our safeties and corners are good in run support, for the most part. They have Damon Huard to pass on us. I think LJ will probably still get his 100 yds. and a TD, and the KC D-line will give us hell, with Jared Allen and Co., but it won't be enough.

Wk2 - Win @CAR: Their offense has looked bad. Steve Smith might be the best WR in football, but he still has Delhomme throwing to him (or worse). Their RBs have not performed up to par, and their defense is very up-and-down. I think we surprise some folks and pull one out on the road against a mediocre CAR team. We'll benefit from a turnover or two.

Wk3 - Loss to Indy: Early in the season, they'll be clicking and all their guys are healthy. I just think they're a bit too much to handle, and we'll be riding the high of the first couple games. It won't be a blowout, as we'll run and keep Manning off the field, but he'll find a way to beat us.

Wk4 - Win @ATL: I'm not buying into the "Woe is Atlanta" rhetoric that the media is selling, but their strength matches up with our defensive strength, and I think our offense can beat their defense. Harrington has beat us before, but not this time.

Wk5 - Win vs. MIA: They just aren't a good team, and not substantially different from the team we beat last year. In some ways, they are worse. We are a better team than last year, and I can see the home crowd making a difference in this one.

Wk6 - Loss @JAX: I just get the feeling they'll win one, so I'm giving them the home win over us. It'll be close, but they have a great running game. We might shut down Fred Taylor, but MJD will likely burn us on a screen or somesuch. Their D-line is still better than our O-line, and will win most of those battles on the day.

Wk7 - Win vs. TEN: Home crowd will be fired up for this one. The Tacks have not substantially improved their team. I worry about our play vs. the TEs, because VY has a thing working with Scaife there, but I think we'll stop them in all phases of the game. VY will probably hit a big play here or there, but it won't be enough.

Wk8 - Loss @SD: The Chargers very well might be the most complete team in the NFL, and we really shouldn't stand a chance at beating them. Still, stranger things have happened, but I won't predict it for this one. There's no shame in losing to the Chargers in SD.

Wk9 - Win @OAK: Culpepper, if he really is healthy, probably improves their team, and their defense is still solid. Lamont Jordan is a good RB, but their line is still pretty questionable. If our D-line can stop the run and get a little pressure on the QB, I think we win this one. I could see it coming down to turnovers, or the return game, or a big play. I think we take this one, though.

Wk10 - BYE (and good timing, after a back-to-back West Coast roadie)

Wk11 - Loss vs. NO: I really could go either way on this one. I think the crowd is definitely going to be fired up about this one and will help provide an advantage here. We're coming off a bye week, so the rest will have been good for guys. Still, Brees-Colston-Deuce is a nice trio on offense. Their defensive line is pretty good at putting pressure on the QB, even if their secondary is suspect. It wouldn't surprise me too much to win this one, but if I predict too many wins, I'll get light-headed.

Wk12 - Win @CLE: The Browns should either be squarely embroiled in a QB controversy by this point, or starting Quinn. We are a better team, in my estimation, and should win, but they are at home. If Quinn is starting, we stand a pretty good chance of taking advantage of rookie mistakes. If Frye is starting, we stand a pretty good chance of taking advantage of mediocre QB play. To say tthis won't be the toughest D we face all year is an understatement.

Wk13 - Win @TEN: The sweep is on. The Tacks have forgotten about the sweep from '04, so it's time to remind them. We're just a better team, in all phases.

Wk14 - Win vs. TB: Their O-line is worse than ours. Jeff Garcia has shown he can be a good QB when playing for a good team, but he also was a bad QB when playing for a bad team. I think he'll be fairly worn down by this point, and the Reliant advantage will help as well. Their defense is a shell of what it used to be, and their running game is not good. We should win this one.

Wk15 - Loss vs. DEN: I'm curious to see what kind of fight we put up in this one. I hate to think we'll lose a nationally-televised game, but the Broncos are a good team all around. I expect big things from Cutler, and Javon Walker is a real threat at WR. Travis Henry is the best back the Broncos have had since Portis left, and this one just feels like a looss coming our way. I think we'll put up a much better fight than we would if we were on the road for this one.

Wk16 - Win @IND: This is where we take command of the division. We beat the Colts in their house and relegate them to the wild card. Prior to looking at the schedule, I predicted a split with the Colts, but in looking at the schedule, I just get the feeling they'll pull the first one out against us. Later in the season, with everything to play for, Kubiak gets the best out of our guys and we take control.

Wk17 - Win vs. JAX: If we haven't clinched the division by now, we will. A split on the season with JAX is what I predicted prior to seeing the schedule, and the home game is ours. Is this one Battle Red Day? Regardless, we take this one and go 11-5.

Final division standings:

HOU 11-5
IND 10-6
JAX 8-8
TEN 5-11

Blast away

Edit To Add: Since I placed my futures bet in Vegas at 120-1, I may as well call it on here - Texans win the SB!!!

OK, I am slightly less serious about that (though I did place the bet), but I am 100% serious about 11-5.

Last edited by eriadoc; 08-29-2007 at 03:30 PM.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #12
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Championship!

Last edited by Leahmic223; 08-29-2007 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Because I was wrong and needed to correct my predictions foo...
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #13
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
It's too hard to call in the AFC South because of all the changes in personnel. This is a best guess, but I'm putting little stock in it. The AFC is going to be a wild division this year.

Jags: 10-6
Titans: 9-7
Colts: 8-8
Texans: 6-10

The Jags are hot and cold. Last year they were cold, so this year they're hot. It's a really awful way to base a prediction, but that's what I got...

The Titans find a way to win. I don't think they are as decimated as some people think.

The Colts are decimated, but they still have a core group of mega-players like Harrison, Clark, Saturday, Freeney, and of course, Manning. I'm probably putting them too low, but not everybody could be 10-6.

Texans: I've always predicted them low, and I look forward to them showing me wrong. However, I have predicted them up one game than I predicted them the last three months. That should count for something. I predict the Texans are going to frustrate a lot of fans this year. They will lose a lot of very close games, and they are still learning. However, in 2008, I predict all the wrinkles to be ironed out and them to make a strong play-off run.
I just want to point out that manning is due for a multi game sitting injury. It's not like I wishing it upon him, unless it's a result of Mario hitting him from the blind side so hard that he launches 10 feet in the air only to be driven ten yards back by Drob and finally driven into the turf by Ryans. Well, it a little daydream I've been having for a while anyway. I see it like this

Jags 11-5
TEXANS 10-6
Colts 7-9
Titans 5-11
Old 08-29-2007   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
KC D-line will give us hell, with Jared Allen and Co., but it won't be enough.
Jared Allen is suspended for the first four games of the season.
Old 08-29-2007   #15
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55535 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

First, I'll take whatever Herv is smoking.

Here's mine -

Colts 11-5 or 12-4
Texans 9-7 or 8-8
Jags 8-8 or 7-9
Titans - 5-11 or 4-12
Old 08-29-2007   #16
TEXANSTAILGATER
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 TEXANSTAILGATER is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTEXANSTAILGATER is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Colts- 10 -6

Texans 9-7

Jags 7-9

Tight'uns 6-10

P.S. Cowputas 9-7
Old 08-29-2007   #17
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's mine:

Colts 12-4
Jags 8-8
Texans 7-9
Titans 5-11

I'd love to be more optimistic, there are just sections of our game that I'm not completly sold on (both lines, secondary, QB [we still havn't seen any regular season action yet]. RB).
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #18
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Jared Allen is suspended for the first four games of the season.
Woohoo! All the more reason we win that opener!

I'm telling y'all ..... 11-5!

Old 08-29-2007   #19
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post

Colts 12-4
Jags 8-8
Texans 7-9
Titans 5-11
yes.
Old 08-29-2007   #20
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Baring injuries, last season was the Texans LAST season for quite a while as a loser in the NFL. Make of that what you will, but I for one believe it and am damn glad to see it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read