Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 08-30-2007   #41
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: KEYE no longer 'official home of the Texans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
The real question is....if the Titans start 0-3, will they pull them for the Texans?
It depends on the ratings, which means how much money they make.

Who wins really isn't relevant, how they make the most money is.

If people in Austin would rather watch Vince Young and the Titans lose than the Texans win, they are going to show the Titans instead.

The National side doesn't care who wins or loses, they want to make the most money. Which means the higher rated programming gets put on the air.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #42
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not calling you a fair weather fan I am calling the idea if they win we get the game, that is BS, this is Texas damn it I want the game.

As far as the ratings go, if they show games that suck and only show the premier games of Titans like they did last year, well then of course the ratings are going to be skewed. The casual fan will not watch Texans vs Mia but they may toon into Titans vs Patriots. There are so called football fans that will only watch premium games because they have no alegance to any of the Texas teams and they do not have a dish and the NFL package.

If we do not express our desire for the Texans games then they will think no one cares in Austin for the Texans.

Silent = no voice/no choice.
Old 08-30-2007   #43
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
However - Hollywood Texan, it's not as cut and dry as you're making it out to be. The mistake that KEYE is making THIS season is that they are not starting with the Texans home opener. It's an entirely different team, new QB, new attitude, new optimism, etc, etc. The Texans are starting AT HOME, against a BAD TEAM, and the game will be sold out and LOUD.
Regular season games are not decided by the local market that is not supported by team directly by so many miles or whatever.

Point is, KEYE doesn't make the decision on the regular season game programming. They are told what to air.
Old 08-30-2007   #44
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I am not calling you a fair weather fan I am calling the idea if they win we get the game, that is BS, this is Texas damn it I want the game.

As far as the ratings go, if they show games that suck and only show the premier games of Titans like they did last year, well then of course the ratings are going to be skewed. The casual fan will not watch Texans vs Mia but they may toon into Titans vs Patriots. There are so called football fans that will only watch premium games because they have no alegance to any of the Texas teams and they do not have a dish and the NFL package.

If we do not express our desire for the Texans games then they will think no one cares in Austin for the Texans.

Silent = no voice/no choice.
Which is why the Texans need to market heavily in Austin. You will have a bigger voice. Just a few people calling the station isn't going to do the trick. Ratings will, money...

I am probaby going to be moving back to Austin soon. So, you will have another voice in Austin.
Old 08-30-2007   #45
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Were you here for all of this mess last year? This just isn't the case. After KEYE pulled the plug on the Texans last year - they went back to them for at least one, possibly two games. If it were up to the national - they never would have gone back to the Texans since the Titans games literally DOUBLED the Texan games.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #46
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Regular season games are not decided by the local market that is not supported by team directly by so many miles or whatever.

Point is, KEYE doesn't make the decision on the regular season game programming. They are told what to air.
You are wrong!! Gary a Vinson the program director of KEYE makes the call on what to air here in Austin. I have exchanged emails with him and with the Texans marketing department. Sorry Hollywood but you have no idea what is going on.
Old 08-30-2007   #47
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Were you here for all of this mess last year? This just isn't the case. After KEYE pulled the plug on the Texans last year - they went back to them for at least one, possibly two games. If it were up to the national - they never would have gone back to the Texans since the Titans games literally DOUBLED the Texan games.
They were probably comparing the ratings over the season to make a determination how to proceed in the future.

Don't confuse them showing something and that they will show it forever.

If they give it a chance on the ratings and it doesn't come through, see ya later, the programming is gone.
Sponsored links
Old 08-30-2007   #48
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
They were probably comparing the ratings over the season to make a determination how to proceed in the future.

Don't confuse them showing something and that they will show it forever.

If they give it a chance on the ratings and it doesn't come through, see ya later, the programming is gone.
Hollywood I know how ratings work I have a degree in broadcast journalism and you are not understanding what is going on.

Neilsen ratings can not accurately tell on sports and has been known to be off by as much as 40%. A single guy will not have a Neilsen, anyone who watches a lot of sports will not get a neilsen box. this has been debated for a long time with the cost of ad dollars.
Old 08-30-2007   #49
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You are wrong!! Gary a Vinson the program director of KEYE makes the call on what to air here in Austin. I have exchanged emails with him and with the Texans marketing department. Sorry Hollywood but you have no idea what is going on.
This was in a previous post and I believe is applicable to the Texans in Austin. It goes:

Quote:
In all other markets, the networks are the sole arbiters of what game gets shown where. However, they usually make their decisions after consulting with all of their local affiliates. In some rarer occasions, some affiliates are offered a choice of a few games for a given time-slot, if there is not one game that stands out as appropriate. In those cases, sometimes affiliates allow viewers to vote on which game will air.
I work in the TV syndication business. I don't know the specifics of all Nielsen ratings, but I see enough.

I believe Austin is considered the "all other markets" category, so your guy doesn't get to call the shots.

There is too much money at play on under/over delivery on advertising to let programming on with lesser ratings than an alternative.
Old 08-30-2007   #50
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Hollywood I know how ratings work I have a degree in broadcast journalism and you are not understanding what is going on.

Neilsen ratings can not accurately tell on sports and has been known to be off by as much as 40%. A single guy will not have a Neilsen, anyone who watches a lot of sports will not get a neilsen box. this has been debated for a long time with the cost of ad dollars.
I work in a TV syndication company and I see the Nielsen ratings. I see the billings and rebates back to advertisers.

I won't get into the Nielsen crap that you are referring to. Trust me, most people don't like them in the business, they have a monopoly and are difficult to deal with.

But, my company makes money from the ratings they provide. The lower the ratings, the less money we earn. How they generate the ratings or any issues there are (and trust me there are plenty), we only make money off the ratings they provide to us. You can describe the deficiencies all you want, but the Nielsen ratings are the agreed structure in paying for advertising on TV.

The lower the ratings, the more money we have have to pay back to advertisers because of lower than expected ratings from what the sales people sold. The sales people always over sell in today's market.
Old 08-30-2007   #51
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

They call it a Texans Outreach Tour and I have been reading about it since the first season.

Here is a blurb about one...
"Texans Special Events Outreach
The Texans have created many fan events throughout the year. Events include the Texans Draft Party, Running of the Bulls 5K Run, Outreach Tour, Cheerleader and Bull Pen Pep Band Tryouts, Football 101, Training Camp, Texans Week, Cheerleader Magazine Preview Party, Cheerleader Halloween Party, Ultimate Fan Contest, Business Lunch Series and Youth and Hispanic Outreach Programs. These events are programmed to cultivate the Texans’ fan base and make a positive impact on their lives. "

More..

Outreach Tour
The Texans extended their reach throughout Texas on their annual Outreach Tour, brought to you by Miller Lite. Texans players, cheerleaders and TORO visited Beaumont, Corpus Christi, McAllen, Ft. Hood, College Station, Austin and San Antonio. School visits, hospital visits, autograph signings and fan events were scheduled throughout the tour.

another....
http://www.houstontexans.com/communi...ecommunity.asp

Listed as Regional Texans Outreach here...
http://admin.houstontexans.com/assets/community/05-06%20CRfinal.pdf

You might try googling to find more. If you check with www.houstontexans.com often, you just might catch when they are coming.

I remember someone on this site (or the other) say that they had a thing at an Academy and then they met at a bar. I wish I knew who it was but I am sure I can find it if you want.
Old 08-30-2007   #52
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

Something went right they have the game on tonight, instead of the Crudwagon!
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #53
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Er, I'm watching KEYE right now and it's the Cowboys. What the hell? Are you watching it on the HD channel? Someone said they were going to do Texans/Bucs on the HD channel.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #54
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 17854 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWig View Post
Something went right they have the game on tonight, instead of the Crudwagon!
it's the cowboys game
Old 08-30-2007   #55
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am listening to it on KILT's website www.kilt.com

I don't see on TV anywhere BigWig, where are you seeing it?
Old 08-30-2007   #56
Khari
Administrator

Rep Power: 17854 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

HDTV.......it's not on the regular channel
Old 08-30-2007   #57
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I got HD on DirecTV....and I don't see it
Old 08-30-2007   #58
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

duh....never mind, I just found it, I am a goofball, trying to do too much at once.
Old 08-30-2007   #59
rockabilly
Veteran

Rep Power: 432 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Vinson may have "messed up". If so, kudos to KEYE.

Why can't they do this for the regular season? Titans on one channel, Texans on HD?
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #60
Khari
Administrator

no....texans on regular tv.....titans on HD.......make them pay for HD if they wanna see their team

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read