Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2007   #21
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Spencer to the PUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I hope Spencer can eventually play for us. What I don't want is for them to count on him for next year and pass up the lt position in the 08 draft.The Texans desperately need a good young center and a good young lt. Spencer may be the lt of the future but if Kubiak thinks there is even the slightest possibilty that he can't make it back then draft a lt.
I think from the DD/DW incident, Kubiak learned his lesson. This next draft is has 4 very solid LT's so I agree with you, if Spencer is a "maybe" we need to do what's best for the franchise.

But for now, I'm very excited about this season.
Old 08-29-2007   #22
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Maybe you can go easier on Dayne if you ask yourself this question:

What was Spencer doing, being pushed back three yards towards the backfield on a running play?
Blocking.

You don't have to block your man 3 yards down field. Especially at either T position you can make your guy run upfield and away from the play he essentially blocks/runs himself out of the play. More so on plays that are going through that T/G hole.

Not that I remember what the play was. Just speaking in general here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #23
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Blocking.

You don't have to block your man 3 yards down field. Especially at either T position you can make your guy run upfield and away from the play he essentially blocks/runs himself out of the play. More so on plays that are going through that T/G hole.

If I were to look at the results, I'd say Spencer's blocking on that particular play led him directly back to the path of the running back. I'm not sure that was how it was drawn up.

If the replay were available, I think a viewer would see that Spencer was noticeably slow off of the snap on that play and the defender was therefore able to explode into him and push him back.
Old 08-29-2007   #24
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not suprised. I just hope he can come back one day. It wasn't that long ago people were saying that this is a career threatening injury. That said, I think our O-line is looking far ahead of where it has in a long time. Does anyone remember what our sack total was when whats's his name, the QB missed a bunch of games. If I am not smoking the hippie lettuce, I believe we only gave up 29 that year. I know it was an unTexan like #. I think Schaub will make a world of difference.

Here is to Spencer making it back by the break.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #25
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
I am not suprised. I just hope he can come back one day. It wasn't that long ago people were saying that this is a career threatening injury. That said, I think our O-line is looking far ahead of where it has in a long time. Does anyone remember what our sack total was when whats's his name, the QB missed a bunch of games. If I am not smoking the hippie lettuce, I believe we only gave up 29 that year. I know it was an unTexan like #. I think Schaub will make a world of difference.

It is career threatening for him for various reasons. I don't see him coming back & being that same bookend LT we thought he could be. Kubes is just giving the young guy this extra opportunity to see if he can indeed bounce back & be the same guy they thought he could be when he was drafted. If they get any inkling that he can't be, they'll be looking at someone in the 08' draft.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #26
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Just PUP? Is this front office spin or does he really not belong on IR? Later in the season, can he be designated IR? I really want him to come back and succeed. My frustration/trepidation is that he didn't look all that good when he was in there, and now he has a bigger problem added to his learning curve.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #27
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What was Spencer doing, being pushed back three yards towards the backfield on a running play?
he kinda had his hands full blocking Dwight Freeney & doing a mighty fine job of it as I remember

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2007   #28
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=3544

Quote:
(on the progress of Spencer) I thinks been very good. Since they went in and did the scope, hes probably made as much progress as hes made throughout the process. I think its still a reach to say that hes going to play for us this year, but well see. Hes come a long way. Well know here within the next month. Hes going to have to make a great deal of progress for us to count on him playing. But, as far as will he play again, will he make it back, will he be a factor in this organization, I dont have any doubt that he will. But I think its still going to be a tough go this year.
Sorry Kubes, I love you to death. I think you're the coach that will take us to the Super Bowl. But I think Spencer's playing days are over. Hope you and Smith plan accordingly.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #29
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Sorry Kubes, I love you to death. I think you're the coach that will take us to the Super Bowl. But I think Spencer's playing days are over. Hope you and Smith plan accordingly.
Agreed. It's looking more and more like Spencer is the new Joppru.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #30
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Or on third and long, with Spencer being bull rushed, where were Daynes eye's ?
Spencer's setting his feet to absorb the bull rush, I dont see how he could controll the situation. Dayne however, had all the controll. or should have. And he screwed the pooch. We can't afford another play like this is all I know. I forgive him. But I do not except that he had no culpablity on that play.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 08-29-2007 at 09:35 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #31
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
I think from the DD/DW incident, Kubiak learned his lesson. This next draft is has 4 very solid LT's so I agree with you, if Spencer is a "maybe" we need to do what's best for the franchise.

But for now, I'm very excited about this season.
Depending on the juniors who choose to come out there will be a few of them on the board in '08. So do you gamble on Spencer's recovery or do you wade in one one ? Don't nessecarily have to be a first round guy or an OLT. But I do expcet them to plug one of the three holes on our the o-line with a high end guy. Worst case scenario for me would be the group does come together and it gets pushed back onto the back burner one more time. There will be a lot of temptation on that board. The fact is they should be grooming Pitts' replacement now. And someone is going to have to decide whether or not Winston is going to make it this next off season.
Old 08-29-2007   #32
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post
I will never forgive Ron Dayne. Everytime I look at him, I just think about a bust that took out the leg of the LT we've been waiting years for.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Or on third and long, with Spencer being bull rushed, where were Daynes eye's ?
Spencer's setting his feet to absorb the bull rush, I dont see how he could controll the situation. Dayne however, had all the controll. or should have. And he screwed the pooch. We can't afford another play like this is all I know. I forgive him. But I do not except that he had no culpablity on that play.
I don't know about anyone else, but I find this whole finger-pointing blame game to be silly and stupid. Ron Dayne didn't mean to hurt Spencer on that play. And Spencer didn't mean to put himself in a position to get hurt by Dayne.

It was a freak injury. File this in the 'Sh*t Happens' drawer and give it a rest.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #33
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
Just PUP? Is this front office spin or does he really not belong on IR? Later in the season, can he be designated IR? I really want him to come back and succeed. My frustration/trepidation is that he didn't look all that good when he was in there, and now he has a bigger problem added to his learning curve.
On the PUP, they can check him out around game 7 and if he's still not ready, they can IR him.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #34
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

This shouldn't be any surprise. I told you guys that he told me that this weekend at the game. I feel bad for the guy. He was making a name for himself last year. I think putting him on the PUP is just giving him another deadline to be ready by.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #35
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know about anyone else, but I find this whole finger-pointing blame game to be silly and stupid. Ron Dayne didn't mean to hurt Spencer on that play. And Spencer didn't mean to put himself in a position to get hurt by Dayne.

It was a freak injury. File this in the 'Sh*t Happens' drawer and give it a rest.
Yeah but it's another reason why I dislike Ron "LT Career Killer" Dayne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #36
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree, it's really pissing me off that there's so much finger-pointing here. I guess it's a Houston thing...

I blame the bone, quit breaking damnit!
Old 08-29-2007   #37
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I agree, it's really pissing me off that there's so much finger-pointing here. I guess it's a Houston thing...

I blame the bone, quit breaking damnit!

The bone is the victim, here. Don't blame the victim.

And don't even try to make the argument that the bone was asking for it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #38
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Depending on the juniors who choose to come out there will be a few of them on the board in '08. So do you gamble on Spencer's recovery or do you wade in one one ? Don't nessecarily have to be a first round guy or an OLT. But I do expcet them to plug one of the three holes on our the o-line with a high end guy. Worst case scenario for me would be the group does come together and it gets pushed back onto the back burner one more time. There will be a lot of temptation on that board. The fact is they should be grooming Pitts' replacement now. And someone is going to have to decide whether or not Winston is going to make it this next off season.
Studdard has looked pretty good in the playing time he's gotten. Kid just looks like a football player and plays with the kind of fire i'd love to see the entire line play with.

I'm still very curious about Frye. Kid is really raw only playing one year at LT in college but has the kind of atheleticism for a solid LT. I'd prefer we keep him on the roster this year and let him develop as a good backup plan. Also Chris White. How he develops this year could play into next year's plans.

One other thought is say Spencer does make it back... probably not this year but next and he's lost a step or can't play to the level at LT we saw last year. What about moving him back inside? I'm wondering if that'd be an option.

Something else I've been pondering. Say the Texans Offense continues on the upward path it has been in preseason.THat during the regualr season it's suprisingly solid, can move the chains, and has big play capability. there's bound to be some coaching oppurtunities opening up next year. It'd look real good on Sherman's part for his time hear how he's helpd make big difference in the line's play. He's got a good coaching resume and could be in line for a new HC gig. How wil lthat change the dynamics of our OL plans? Do we continue with the hybrid ZB/power scheme or go to a more pure ZBS style?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #39
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Blocking.

Granted, he was blocking. At least he was attempting to block. When you're being pushed back like that however odds are you're losing.

It happened guys. These kinds of things happen in football. Blaming Ron Dayne for that is just ridiculous in my opinion.
Old 08-29-2007   #40
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't blame Dayne for Spencer's injury. Personally, I don't like his running style. He will plow into whoever's in front of him, including our Olinemen. He's taken down easily by shoestring tackles. I don't like him as our #2 RB.

Hence the reason AG's got to remain healthy throughout the season. If he does, he'll have a career year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read