Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-28-2007   #41
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Cuts to 55 are gonna be brutal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kravix View Post
Here is my starting and # 2 roster that rounds out at 50.

<snip>
As far as cuts.. B Johnson, McCardel, Wynn, McCleon, Poole, and Dressen are the only players I see even having a chance at another roster. And most of those are 3rd string filling vacated spots from injuries.
The guys I have problems letting go are:

Scott Jackson - He's been doing really well as the #2 RT, I think.
Matt Brisiel
Earl Cochran - I can't see us letting him go.
Joel Dreessen - I know Kubiak is really pondering ways to keep him.
Shantee Orr

With Dreessen doubling as a FB, I think we let Cook go and carry 4 TE's.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007   #42
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I watched the game at Herv's house and I annoyed the heck out of him constantly pointing to flashes of Weary's dominance against a good Cowboy front 7.
Too bad Weary is part of the 'worst.o-line.evar'!

Have we seen much of Abbate? Everyone seems to be high on the guy, but I just don't recall him making much of an impact (if any).

Isn't Zgonina a long snapper, too? Kubiak is big on multi-purpose guys, so he might edge out the competition because of his versatility.
Old 08-28-2007   #43
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

Have we seen much of Abbate? Everyone seems to be high on the guy, but I just don't recall him making much of an impact (if any).

Isn't Zgonina a long snapper, too? Kubiak is big on multi-purpose guys, so he might edge out the competition because of his versatility.

Abbate has been out there some. He's made some blocks and caught a pass. I think he's made a tackle on ST, too.

From one of Kubiak's last press conference, I don't think Pittman's going anywhere. Zgonina is a multi-position guy but do you really want your LS to be an old DT? That's tempting fate.
Old 08-28-2007   #44
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

QB-Schaub, Rosenfels, Zabransky
HB-Green, Dayne, Gado, Lundy
FB- Leach, Abbate
LT- Salaam, Black
LG- Pitts, Studdard
C- Flannagan, Mckinney
RG-Weary, Mckinney
RT- Winston, Jackson
TE- Daniels, Bruener, Putzier
WR- AJ, JJ, Walter, Anderson, Davis, Mathis

DE- Williams, Weaver, Babin, Kalu
DT- Okoye, TJ, Maddox, Zgonina
Sam- Clark, Anderson
Mike- Ryans, Diles
Will- Greenwood, Barber
CB- Dunta, Faggins, Fletcher, Bennet, Poole
FS-CC, Von H.,
SS- Simmons, Harrison

K- Brown (your killing me)
P- Turk
LS- Zgonina
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007   #45
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If I recall correctly, Weary wasn't part of those good o-lines in 2004 and 2005. He was so deep in Joe "The Talent Evaluation Genius" Pendry's doghouse he only got on the field if there were multiple injuries.

=================================

Let's compare to 2004, the Texans best year so far, to what we have now.

Wade - Wiegert - McKinney - Pitts - Wand

Winston - Weary - McKinney - Pitts - Salaam

The coaching was so screwed up back then that direct comparison is difficult. Add the fact that they were protecting the sack machine and it is even blurrier.

Wade - Winston. Wade was a seasoned veteran and fairly covted free agent, Winston is going into his second year. This is about a wash. Winston may end up better than Wade in the end, but that is yet to be proven. Pendry took Wade out of the game mentally.

Wiegert - Weary. Edge to the pre-injuries Wiegert, with the bonus that Weary was the back-up.

McKinney is McKinney, but younger.

Pitts is Pitts, but less experienced.

Wand - Salaam. Wand was better physically than Salaam but he was raw. This is one position that needed time to develop, like Winston is getting now. Salaam is passable but certainly on the downside of his career. Pitts was the back-up LT in 2004, and I think I'd take him over Black.

I'm not sure this year's line is as good as the one they had in 2004, and if you check my posts from back then I was a huge defender of the o-line, with the exception of McKinney at center. I was blaming the sacks on Carr scrambling into the defensive ends before that was popular.

The 2004 offense did pretty well passing and running with Bradford at second receiver, Davis at running back, Miller/Breuner at tight end, and Carr at quarterback. I think they'd have been more impressive with a Jacoby Jones, Ahman Green, Owen Daniels, and a Matt Schaub.

==============================

I hope this line does well and turns into the unit many think they are right now. As people move away from "The Texans had the worst o-line ever", I wonder if they care to follow that thought through to the end. We had a good o-line in 2004 that was ruined by coaching and quarterbacking. A strong argument can be made that it was better than this year's line. Had that unit stuck together with better coaching and surrounding talent like this year's team, 2005 would have been completely different.

Any takers?
Old 08-28-2007   #46
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
If you can get an injury settlement, then it minimizes any cap-hit you'd have.
IIRC, Todd Wade's injury settlement was in the neighborhood of $260K. It had no effect in reducing the cap hit from the remaining signing bonus due him. It just "allowed" the Texans to cut an injured player.
Old 08-28-2007   #47
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kravix View Post
My Practive Squad

Abbate, Zabransky, David Anderson (if eligible), Brandon Mitchell, Walker, and Castaneda(he doesnt count towards the 5 because he is an international PS player). If they choose to put White on the PS again I would think that David Anderson gets the boot.
If I remember correctly, the Practice Squad can be up to 8 players not just 5, and I'm not sure if Castaneda counts towards the 8.
Old 08-29-2007   #48
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
If I remember correctly, the Practice Squad can be up to 8 players not just 5, and I'm not sure if Castaneda counts towards the 8.
The Practice squad is 8. Only 11 teams were given international players. Castañeda will not count towards the total.

The Texans can have 9 including Castañeda.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #49
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
If I recall correctly, Weary wasn't part of those good o-lines in 2004 and 2005. He was so deep in Joe "The Talent Evaluation Genius" Pendry's doghouse he only got on the field if there were multiple injuries.
Obviously I was attempting sarcasm with my 'worst.o-line.evar' blast.

Technically, it is considered the entire line - and every player - from 2002 to 2006, based upon national media perceptions (which are never wrong, 'eh? )

We're not far from agreement - if we disagree at all - that problems we've had are multi-faceted and due to a variety of issues ranging from poor coaching to bad players.
Old 08-29-2007   #50
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Obviously I was attempting sarcasm with my 'worst.o-line.evar' blast.
I wasn't serious about Weary either, excpet to point out the coaching problems the players have lived through. Game or not, I bet some of them didn't enjoy going to work int eh mornings.
Old 08-29-2007   #51
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected
Default quick question

I could probably find this out on another post but I am way to lazy to read through threads.

so...

when are cuts?

complete waste of a thread huh?
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #52
buffalo2006
Rookie

We could try and work Dayne at fullback some and only carry one FB and use Dayne if needed? That would open up another position
Old 08-29-2007   #53
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: quick question

I believe that the last cuts need to be made by Sept. 1. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #54
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: quick question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
I believe that the last cuts need to be made by Sept. 1. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I believe that is correct, but I think Kube said that they'll make them Friday.
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #55
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.cw15.com/sports/story.asp...f-b331db146b61

their predictions

Quote:
Below we take our stab at predicting how the 53-man roster of the 2007 Houston Texans will take shape:

QB (2): Matt Schaub, Sage Rosenfels

RB (5): Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, Wali Lundy, Vonta Leach (FB), Jameel Cook (FB)

WR (6): Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter, Jacoby Jones, Andre' Davis, David Anderson, Jerome Mathis (RS)

TE (3): Owen Daniels, Jeb Putzier, Mark Bruener

OL (10): LT Ephraim Salaam, LG Chester Pitts, C Steve McKinney, RG Fred Weary, RT Eric Winston, C Mike Flanagan, T Jordan Black, C/G Drew Hodgdon, T Brandon Frye, G Kasey Studdard, (T Charles Spencer)

DL (9): DE Mario Williams, DE Shantee Orr, DT Amobi Akoye, DT Travis Johnson, DT Anthony Maddox, DE Anthony Weaver, DT Jeff Zgonina, DE Jason Babin, DE N.D. Kalu

LB (6): MLB DeMeco Ryans, SLB Danny Clark, WLB Morlon Greenwood, LB Charlie Anderson, LB Shawn Barber, LB Zach Diles

DB (9): DB Dunta Robinson, CB Demarcus Faggins, FS C.C. Brown, SS Jason Simmons, CB Jamar Fletcher, CB Fred Bennett, S Von Hutchins, S Brandon Harrison, CB Tyrone Poole

SP (3): K Kris Brown, P Matt Turk, LS Bryan Pittman

Outside Looking In: QB Jared Zabransky, RB Samkon Gado, RB Chris Taylor, FB Jon Abbate, WR Keenan McCardell, WR Bethel Johnson, TE Joel Dreessen, G Scott Jackson, CB Dexter McCleon, CB Dexter Wynn, P Chad Stanley
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #56
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default i have a 50 man roster... who's left?

QB- Schaub, Sage
HB- Green, Dayne, Gado
FB- Leach, Abbate(ST)
WR- Johnson, Walter, Jones(PR), Davis, Mathis(KR)
TE- Daniels, Bruener, Putzier, Dreessen(LS)
T- Salaam, Winston, Black, Jackson
G- Pitts, Weary, Studdard
C- McKinney(G), Flannigan

DE- Williams, Weaver, Babin, Kalu, Cochran
DT- Okoye, Johnson, Maddox, Zgonina
LB- Ryans, Clark, Greenwood, Anderson, Barber, Diles
CB- Robinson, Faggins, Fletcher, Bennett
S- Brown, Simmons, Huchins, Harrison,

K- Brown
P- Turk

I'm torn if I keep Wynn, McCleon, Bray, Orr I'm thinking Orr stays as something... I have guys like Barber and Abbate that make the team as ST guys where we don't really require the depth. Who fills those last three spots? Who do you remove from my list and replace?

Practice squad guys are:
Zebransky, White, Mitchell
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #57
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: i have a 50 man roster... who's left?

Even though I am at work already, it is too early for me to think. However I think we MAY carry one more OG, OT and WR than what is on your list.

Our final roster spots could also come down to what kind of players are waved in the final cuts off of other teams. We could pick up an extra DB if a good (for us) gets cut.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #58
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

You think Dreessen gets in ahead of Pittman as LS?

personally think they'll carry one more DB - you can never have enough of those when you play the Colts twice.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #59
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Where's the love for Cochran? He's had a very solid camp and pre-season.
Old 08-30-2007   #60
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

It's going to be a shame to lose Frye and Brisiel. I think Pittman stays as longsnapper; Kubiak has almost come right out and said that. I think we'll probably keep Orr; he plays ST, he plays LB, and he can be used as a situational rusher. I think White stays in the center mix.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read