Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-28-2007   #21
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Cuts to 55 are gonna be brutal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
For those of you thinking McCardell will get cut, can he be let go if he has a nagging injury that occurred in training camp? He hasn't played much due to an injusry, so I am just purely speculating that he may not be able to be cut. Anyone know the rule?
I'm pretty sure you can cut anyone you want. If you can get an injury settlement, then it minimizes any cap-hit you'd have. If we put him on the PUP, then he doesn't take a roster spot but we can delay making the cut/IR decision until later in the year. We can also just IR him which means bye-bye until next year.

Personally, I expect that we'll cut him unless he plays Thursday and looks like a man amongst boys.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007   #22
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Weary is gonna have to go? You cannot be serious. I stopped reading right there.
I watched the game at Herv's house and I annoyed the heck out of him constantly pointing to flashes of Weary's dominance against a good Cowboy front 7.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007   #23
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
can someone explain (probably for the millionth time) how the practice squad works? you can place a player on your practice squad and any team can just come along and get him? the player doesn't have to agree?
In essence, you drop the player. He then has to clear waivers; i.e. every team gets a chance at picking up that player - say for 7 days. If no one picks him up you can then pick him up and put him on PS. That's my understanding of it. Also if you pick up a player from someone else's PS you must carry that player on your active roster for the rest of the season. Or so is my understanding of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007   #24
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
lol, you think weary is in jeopardy of getting cut? Since when do teams cut their starters exactly?

We don't have good depth at any position really. We have an amazing number of 3rd stringers. We have a few 1sts, a few 2nds, and mostly 3rds.

We will field a good team with nice competition, but don't for a second think that the players we let go are going to sign mutli year deals with loads of other teams

the reason most of those guys are here in the 1st place is that we are one of the few teams who actually needed their services
Philly just cut Jeremiah Trotter. We cut Phillip Buchanon, David Carr (cut, released, same thing)
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007   #25
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
With this year's depth, I think they'll definitely take advantage of the P.S... Zabransky, Abbate, Walker?, Frye?, B.Harrison? could all be there...

To anyone in the know, does Chris White have practice squad eligibility left? I would think that will determine whether he backs up McKinney and Flanagan gets released.
Frye and Harrison won't make it past waivers but the other 3 can.

Abbate is unknown, and nobody seemed to notice Z or Walker in the draft.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007   #26
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
In essence, you drop the player. He then has to clear waivers; i.e. every team gets a chance at picking up that player - say for 7 days. If no one picks him up you can then pick him up and put him on PS. That's my understanding of it. Also if you pick up a player from someone else's PS you must carry that player on your active roster for the rest of the season. Or so is my understanding of it.
Part way there. Once the player clears waivers any team can sign him to their practice squad. Once a player is on the practice squad he can still be signed by any other team. The restriction is that once the player signs with the other team he must be on the active roster for three games. After they are through those three games, the process starts over if they want to try to get the player to their practice squad.
Old 08-28-2007   #27
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Most of the posts show who we will cut in order to get to 53 players. The the talk is who will get picked up by other teams. I see our roster going down to 50-51, because we surely will be in the market for cut players from other teams. Especially in the safety department. Am I wrong in assuming that after each team makes their cuts, you have to cut an additional player for every on you pick up?
Old 08-28-2007   #28
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Pre Bucs game:

QB: Schaub,Rosy
RB: Green,Dayne,Gado
FB: Leach, Abbate
WR: AJ,KW,JJ,AD,JM,David Anderson
TE: Daniels,Putzier,Bruener
OT: Salaam,Winston,Frye
OG: Weary,Pitts,Briesel,Studdard
C: McKinney, Flannagan,White

DE: Mario, Weaver, Babin, Kalu, Cochran
DT: Okoye, TJ, Maddox, Zgonina
OLB: Greenwood, Clark, Barber, Anderson, Orr
MLB: Demeco, Diles
CB: Dunta,Faggins,Fletcher,Bennett
SS: Simmons, Harrison, Mitchel
FS: Brown, Hutchins

K: Brown
P: Turk
LS: Pittman

Currently my roster is at 54.

-Between Pittman and Flannagan I don't know who'd I'd let walk. Preferably it'd be Flannagan.

-Anderson makes the team over McCardell and Bethel

- Orr Makes the team for his pass rushing
Anderson has another year of PS eligibility. They may try and stash him there and keep McCardell (experience) or B.Johnson (speed/ST)

Also, last week, Kubiak came out and said that he was keeping four TEs, especially since Dreessen could also play FB. If Kubiak hasn't changed his mind, Dreessen stays.

I think that Abbate joins Frye, Anderson, and Walker on the practice squad. Cook will be the 2nd string FB. But if Abbate plays and Cook gets cut, I won't be too terribly broken-hearted.

Lastly, I'd rather Chris White be kept and Flanagan get cut or traded; White has more upside than Flanagan, IMO.
Old 08-28-2007   #29
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Part way there. Once the player clears waivers any team can sign him to their practice squad. Once a player is on the practice squad he can still be signed by any other team. The restriction is that once the player signs with the other team he must be on the active roster for three games. After they are through those three games, the process starts over if they want to try to get the player to their practice squad.
Let me walk thru this...

- Team A puts player X on waivers.
- Team B picks X up off waivers and must carry him on the active roster for 3 games, minimum.
- Team B decides X isn't ready for prime time and wants to put him on their practice squad but first has to put X on waivers one more time.
- At this time Team A has a shot to get him back - assuming there's no Team C (that drafted ahead of them) who has also been eyeing X.
- If Team A grabs X back, then X must put him on the Team A active roster for three of their games.

Correct?
Old 08-28-2007   #30
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 57076 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Let me walk thru this...

- Team B picks X up off waivers and must carry him on the active roster for 3 games, minimum.
- Team B decides X isn't ready for prime time and wants to put him on their practice squad but first has to put X on waivers one more time.
- At this time Team A has a shot to get him back - assuming there's no Team C (that drafted ahead of them) who has also been eyeing X.
- If Team A grabs X back, then X must put him on the Team A active roster for three of their games.

Correct?
Go Q yourself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007   #31
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Also, last week, Kubiak came out and said that he was keeping four TEs, especially since Dreessen could also play FB. If Kubiak hasn't changed his mind, Dreessen stays..
What he said was they were making a tough decision on whether to keep three or four TE's.
Old 08-28-2007   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Let me walk thru this...

Correct?
Not quite.

Team A puts player X on waivers.

Either Team B picks him up off waivers and he is on their roster until such time as cut or any Team can signs him to their practice squad after he clears waivers.

If Team B picks the PS option then Team C (which could be Team A) can sign the player at any time from the PS but must place him on the active roster for three games.

After those three games, Team C can waive the player. Once through the waiver process, the player can be signed once again by any Team straight to their practice squad.
Old 08-28-2007   #33
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
What he said was they were making a tough decision on whether to keep three or four TE's.
Okay. He didn't say they'd DEFINITELY keep four TEs....
Quote:

Tight end tinkering: Kubiak said the team will likely carry four tight ends on the roster this season. And the versatility of the players competing for those four spots has forced the coaches into a highly complex decision-making process.
from.... http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=3531

Quote:

(on the how many tight ends he will carry) I’ve carried four most of the time with most of the teams I’ve been with. But I’ve seen it done with three. If you are doing it with three, you’ll probably definitely have two fullbacks here. And sometimes maybe six back. You know, it’s funny, those number, you play with them every day- I sit up on my board and play with those numbers and we talk about this and if we pull one from here, we can add one to here. It’s like a chess match. The things that always comes into to play, and I know that I’m killing you saying this, it’s just what they do for Joe (Marciano).”
from... http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=3529

What I took from those quotes was he was having a tough time deciding who would be TE #4.
But you could be right.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 08-28-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-28-2007   #34
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's a push on Abbate and Cook. While Cook didn't look bad against the cowboys there is still a black cloud there IMO.

I'm also thinking Frye will make the roster cause he won't clear waivers too much upside.

I thinkMcCardell and Johnson are the odd men out at WR. Funny how a year can turn a weakness at WR into one of our deepest spots. Same goes for LB. Really hoping Clark gets the starting job.

So we're really debating keeping 4 TEs?! I just think we could find a more valuble roster spot then that 4th TE.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007   #35
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
So we're really debating keeping 4 TEs?! I just think we could find a more valuble roster spot then that 4th TE.
Some teams go 4 wide, we go 4 TE.

But seriously, Kubiak has said that Dreessen can play fullback. So this might be a consideration for just going with 1 FB, putting Abbate on the PS, and then letting that open another roster spot.
Old 08-28-2007   #36
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

But seriously, Kubiak has said that Dreessen can play fullback. So this might be a consideration for just going with 1 FB, putting Abbate on the PS, and then letting that open another roster spot.
Dressen also is a long snapper. The guys is seriously versatile, he could fill 3 roster spots himself. Whose to say we don't keep Dressen and go with 1 FB and Pittman is gone.
Old 08-28-2007   #37
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Dressen also is a long snapper. The guys is seriously versatile, he could fill 3 roster spots himself. Whose to say we don't keep Dressen and go with 1 FB and Pittman is gone.
Don't mess with the LS.

Just. Don't. Do. It.
Old 08-28-2007   #38
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

True. You reminded me of a play the other night in which Walter went in motion from the left and lined up at FB. He actually made a block to help achieve a first down. Pretty cool play.

Sorry to go a little off-topic.
Old 08-28-2007   #39
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

several projections have all rookie draft picks making the team or at least on p.s. thats gonna be Rick Smiths m.o. things are changing around here it
just takes time. heres hoping they go with talent/youth bite the bullet & focus on developing the future now

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007   #40
kravix
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 kravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballotkravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Here is my starting and # 2 roster that rounds out at 50.

QB- Schaub, Sage
WR- AJ, Walter, JJ, Mathis, Davis (6th would be Anderson or B Johnson)
T- Salaam, Winston, Black, Frye (Spencer doesnt count on the reserve PUP)
G- Pitts, Weary, Studdard, Mckinney (Mckinney may start at C, but injuries could move him back over)
C- Flannagan, White
T- Daniels, Bruenor, Putzier
RB- Green, Dayne, Gado (lundy has a chance at #4 if we keep that many)
FB- Leach, Cook (Cook fumbled 2 times last year, the only 2 fumbles of his career.. it happens.. Abbate goes to PS)

DE- Williams, Weaver, Babin, Kalu
DT- Okoye, TJ, Maddox, Zgonina
LB- Ryans, Greenwood, Anderson, Clark, Barber, Diles (Orr could make this list, but there isnt much depth behind Greenwood, so Barber stays.. I wouldnt expect to see Diles on PS since he was a draft pick and supposedly good ST player)
CB- DRob, Faggins, Fletcher, Bennett
DB- CC, Simmons, Harrison, Von Hutchins (VH is a corner and safety so he gives some added depth on that side)

P- Turk
K- Brown
LS- Pittman (dont fool yourself, this guy is #3 when it comes to the kicking game and isnt going anywhere)

My Practive Squad

Abbate, Zabransky, David Anderson (if eligible), Brandon Mitchell, Walker, and Castaneda(he doesnt count towards the 5 because he is an international PS player). If they choose to put White on the PS again I would think that David Anderson gets the boot.

Overall there is still room for some odd players in here, Tyrone Poole, Orr, Dressen, Brisel, Cochran alll have shots of getting picked up as the odd man out in their position.

As far as cuts.. B Johnson, McCardel, Wynn, McCleon, Poole, and Dressen are the only players I see even having a chance at another roster. And most of those are 3rd string filling vacated spots from injuries.
kravix is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read