Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-04-2004   #1
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What's your impression of Babin so far?

Seems like he is dropped into coverage quite a bit, which you'd think would be one of the harder things he'd have to do. Much more than I expected too.

I did some google searches and came up with something else interesting:
Starting linebacker Jason Babin of Western Michigan has 2.0 sacks on the season along with a team-best 26 quarterback pressures.

NFL.com doesn't have hurries as a sortable stat, so if anyone can find that, I'd appreciate it.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #2
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Babin has good feet and good hands to get passed defenders, but i think sometimes he gives up on the plays a little to early. Plus we have to remember he is playing a new position and it takes a little time to get all the techinques down to be affective ! But i will say from what i've seen he looks to be progrssing very good and i'm excited about him playing here for years to come. And i dont know about dropping out into coverage, he seems a little slow unless were playing zone to where he dont have to chase recievers around, but its something i have'nt really noticed !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #3
gwallaia

Rep Power: 84150 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with TexansTrueFan. Babin is showing progress each week and since he is playing a new position, he still has alot to learn.

To me, it seems likes he's getting pushed out too easily by the stronger offensive linemen. Conditioning and technique improvement will make him a much better player.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #4
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia
I agree with TexansTrueFan. Babin is showing progress each week and since he is playing a new position, he still has alot to learn.

To me, it seems likes he's getting pushed out too easily by the stronger offensive linemen. Conditioning and technique improvement will make him a much better player.

Yeah when he's in there trying to spin of the O-line he gets nowhere (occasionally gets pressure) He needs to use his hands a little more and spin a little less, and it seems like he tries to run around the oline sometimes and you cant do that, unless you expect our secondary to cover the WR all day !
Old 11-04-2004   #5
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

yes hes damn good and hes healthy...thats all i want right now, no injuries that might restrict him....GOOOO TEXANSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!1
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #6
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

oh i agree with you he's a good player he just has a lot to learn before he is a REALLY good player !
Old 11-04-2004   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

He is a rook that hasn't been called for many mistakes. He is doing fine. He is one of those ascending players we have that Capers was talking about.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-04-2004   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

People look at sacks way too much as an indicator for competence. He has been money on the goal line and in stopping the running game. Have we given up a rushing TD this year to running backs? I don't remember too many. Most 3-4 OLB conversions take two solid years to blossom. Heck Wong has taken two and he converted from an inside linebacker.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #9
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

He is definatley a beast at stopping the run and makes good open field taclkes i think L.T can back me up on that !
Old 11-04-2004   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I just looked up the rushing TD stat. We are fourth in the league by allowing only 3.

Team G Pts/G TDs Run Rec PR KR Int Fum BPnt BFG PAT FG SFTY 2-PT
Chicago 7 17.3 11 2 7 0 0 0 1 0 1 10 15 0 0
Arizona 7 20.3 14 2 8 1 1 1 0 1 0 10 14 0 3
Baltimore 7 14.3 9 3 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 7 13 0 0
Houston 7 20.4 18 3 14 0 1 0 0 0 0 17 6 0 0

Tomlinson has one: (9:55) 21-L.Tomlinson left guard (not Babin's side) for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN
Zereoue has two: (7:17) 28-A.Zereoue left guard (not babin's side) for 55 yards, TOUCHDOWN
(:51) 28-A.Zereoue up the middle for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN

http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/HOU
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #11
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Zeroues where flukes, but thats still not bad considering we have played agains Preist Holmes and Fred Taylor already this year.
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Very true. You think about the one Zeroue got and man we are down to two in 7 games. Not bad. Let's hope we keep it that way this week also.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #13
georgewashington
Veteran

Im sure you have all been waiting on my answer. I just wanted to point out that many of my points from other posts have been reiterated (however maybe in a better way that is less controversial and more appropriate)
georgewashington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217952 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Babin has shown a lot of promise . He makes Very Few mistakes , no dumb penalties . He's been Outstanding against the run and has held his own in coverage , both were area's i had concern's about prior to seeing him play . He keeps outside containment very well and is probably the best open field tackler on the team . As far as rushing the passer , it hasnt been "Stellar" but he has been effective . I think getting stronger would help him there .... overall ..... not too bad for a rookie.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #15
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
He makes Very Few mistakes , no dumb penalties .
he had that 1 late hit out of bounce, LT i think it was. i kind of enjoyed that hit though. but overall, id say he is coming along just fine. has great speed and is strong and a good tackler.
Old 11-04-2004   #16
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Babin is the man.

He is much better than Peek.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #17
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Babin sucks peeks tha man ( YEAH RIGHT )
Why some people are stuck up peeks A** i dont understand
heres the facts get em straight
When its the rush peeks always late
looks stupid out there all alone
while the opposing teams RB's running to End Zone
Thank god we have babin to stop the run
cause if priest had scored 4 td on us it wouldnt be fun
So listen now and listen good
Peek is the back up is that understood ???
Old 11-04-2004   #18
georgewashington
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
Babin sucks peeks tha man ( YEAH RIGHT )
Why some people are stuck up peeks A** i dont understand
heres the facts get em straight
When its the rush peeks always late
looks stupid out there all alone
while the opposing teams RB's running to End Zone
Thank god we have babin to stop the run
cause if priest had scored 4 td on us it wouldnt be fun
So listen now and listen good
Peek is the back up is that understood ???

Funny how all this is said, and i have a feeling in my direction but a previous quote from this same person "Yeah when he's in there trying to spin of the O-line he gets nowhere (occasionally gets pressure) He needs to use his hands a little more and spin a little less, and it seems like he tries to run around the oline sometimes and you cant do that, unless you expect our secondary to cover the WR all day !" is exactly the points i have already made in the past. Interesting a little bit to me.
georgewashington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #19
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

yeah i did say that all he does is spin and go nowhere but he's only played this position for what 7 games come on i think he is still doing very well !! And dont get me wrong i actually like peek and think that one day he might make a great player for some team, but problably not ours ! But babin just needs a little more experince and if i'm not mistaken our defense has played very well lately only allowing 3 rushing td's think babin might have something to do with that ?
Old 11-04-2004   #20
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

oh and georgy that lil poem was for you hope ya liked it !

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read