Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-26-2007   #1
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Safety

Who is going to be playing Safety this week??

With Earl gone for the season, Brown and Simmons questionable and Harrison a concussion case, who does that leave us with back there??

We've got Von Hutchins and........

I really hope someone cuts a decent safety when the rosters are cut down because we are scary thin.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #2
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Safety

Tyrone Poole?
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #3
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll bet my house that Jason Simmons and CC Brown are our starting safeties week 1. This is my biggest beef with Richard Smith's defense. He seems to prefer hard nosed safeties who lack in coverage ability, as opposed to someone who can play some center field but might not hit like a linebacker. This would be OK if we had two above average cover corners, but we don't. The aggressive hard hitting scheme is fun to watch, but we need the personell to play it effectively. Hopefully we can land a pro-bowl coverage CB in FA or in the draft next offseason because the absence of a coverage capable safety is a huge hole in our defense.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #4
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I'll bet my house that Jason Simmons and CC Brown are our starting safeties week 1. This is my biggest beef with Richard Smith's defense. He seems to prefer hard nosed safeties who lack in coverage ability, as opposed to someone who can play some center field but might not hit like a linebacker. This would be OK if we had two above average cover corners, but we don't. The aggressive hard hitting scheme is fun to watch, but we need the personell to play it effectively. Hopefully we can land a pro-bowl coverage CB in FA or in the draft next offseason because the absence of a coverage capable safety is a huge hole in our defense.
You are so right about the lack of cover ability. Dunta is our best corner and even he is a hitter more than a cover guy.

In terms of pure cover skills I think Fletcher may be our best, Faggins has skills although he is slow, and neither of them can provide run support.

At safety I hope Von Hutchins finally wins the FS spot, he seems to have the cover skills to make some plays.
Old 08-26-2007   #5
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover
Exclamation Safety Watch.............

With the first roster cuts coming up are the any safties to watch out for on the waiver wire?
Old 08-26-2007   #6
real

You think Fletcher is a better cover corner than Dunta ?

ummmm....I'm gonna disagree....

Fletcher is the perfect nikel corner for us on this team though...
Old 08-26-2007   #7
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Safety Watch.............

If there are, I'm confident that Rick Smith will find them. He's done pretty good so far.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-26-2007   #8
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
You think Fletcher is a better cover corner than Dunta ?

ummmm....I'm gonna disagree....

Fletcher is the perfect nikel corner for us on this team though...
Outside his first year Dunta doesn't turn the ball over enough for me to say he is a good cover guy.

Fletcher seems to get his hand on the ball more... maybe a misconception on my part.

If we had a #2 CB, Faggins and Fletcher would give us the best dime package in the NFL.
Old 08-27-2007   #9
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Coverage just isn't all about picks. You could say Fletcher plays the ball better, but as far as coverage Dunta wins hands down.

After watching last nights game, I think Dunta is going to have a huge year. He ran stride for stride with one of the best WRs in the game and basically shut him down (TO's only catch of the night was not on Dunta). If you would put Fletcher on a island with TO, we would of had another "Lee Evans" moment.

Dunta is now the leader in the secondary and you can tell he's been working his butt off, because he just looks sharper. He hasn't really given up any big plays and he has been a absolute beast defending the running game........I swear its like the Texans have 4 linebackers on the field.

As for our safeties........yeah, we need to upgrade, almost every big passing play I've seen this preseason is directly tied to our safeties. The middle of the field is extremely soft and a glaring hole. I think our 2008 first round pick is going to that position. (if we don't pick anybody up in FA)
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #10
quicksilver
Overweight

As for Thursday's game against the Bucs, I expect to see quite a bit of Brandon Mitchell and Von Hutchins.
Old 08-27-2007   #11
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Brandon Mitchell from Ohio State. He has an interception and 7 tackles already in the preseason With these guys out for now and Earl out for the season this guy may be able to make the team.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 08-27-2007 at 01:15 AM.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #12
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Brandon Mitchell from Ohio State. He has an interception and 7 tackles already in the preseason With these guys out for now and Earl out for the season this guy may be able to make the team.
I think Mitchell might make it out of share lack of bodies back there. Hopefully he can surprise and become a real factor.
Old 08-27-2007   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I think Mitchell might make it out of share lack of bodies back there. Hopefully he can surprise and become a real factor.
Didn't Mitchel have a concusion Saturday night ? Where's the injury report ? Or was that brandon Harrision ?

I agree with Zero, our starting Safties are set for game one. But I believe, I dunno, but believe, there's some panic begining to set in off of Kirby Dr. Any safties they may pull in won't hit the waiver wire untill next week. What you're going to see this week is Vet guys who are caped out, played out, or injured out. And rookies/ 2nd year guys who didn't have the tallent to make it. We're over that hump now. People will be scouring our left overs for a change.

And that's twice in a month xt. Agreed with fletcher. he's the '07 nickle guy untill someone goes down.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 08-27-2007 at 02:59 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #14
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 165286 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

What happened to the Dexter McCleon @ FS experiment??

Hutchins seemed to work, how about McCleon as backup until Harrison learns the ropes?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #15
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
What happened to the Dexter McCleon @ FS experiment??

Hutchins seemed to work, how about McCleon as backup until Harrison learns the ropes?
That's what I'm talking about in my earlier post. This is apprarently how Richard Smith likes to run his scheme. He has internal options to run a centerfield FS but he chooses to run two harder hitting safeties instead. From everything we have seen, this is how Smith likes to run his defense, so for anyone expecting us to pick up a coverage safety you might want to rethink your expectations because from the looks of it that is just something Richard Smith doesn't like to do.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #16
real

I don't think you can afford to put any of those guys back there....

C.C is the best FS and SS on the team right now...

Since FS is going to mainly be the position that stops big plays you normally don't want that to be too suspect a player...

Anybody we'd put back there now would likely give up more big plays than we're currently at risk of giving up now...

Look for us to pick up a coverage safety at some point and to move C.C to SS...Where he's going to shine IMO....
Old 08-27-2007   #17
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
how sweet would it be to have laron landry now?

oh well...next year...i'm not worried about who plays this week, hell i probably won't watch the game. but for the regular season someone is going to have to stand up, go above and beyond, and all that jazz. doesn't matter who exactly but i see our safeties as the weakest part of the team overall.
Actually, I'd still rather have Leon Hall right now. That guy is looking like a beast so far. He's in on every play...he reminds me of another Dunta. I wish we could have gotten him with our pick, I'm not gonna lie. Hopefully Amobi pans out (I know he needs a lot more time, I'm not knocking Amobi, just praising Leon Hall) I believe 1ApplePie called that guy...good call.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225061 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Kind of makes you wonder why Marlon McCree couldn't start at FS for us doesn't it? He was good enough to start 14 games for San Diego last year and 15 games for Carolina the previous season but couldn't find a way to out perform the amazing safety play of Marcus Coleman?

Of course it's not like the old regime was all that good at spotting talent when they saw it.
Old 08-27-2007   #19
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Safety Watch.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'er View Post
With the first roster cuts coming up are the any safties to watch out for on the waiver wire?
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
Former Pro Bowl FS Hanik Milligan was cut by the Cardinals. He's coming off a knee injury (not sure what, but it did reguire off season surgery). Arizona picked him up last Sept. on waivers, which means we could have already passed on him.
That's the only "name" so far. A handful of the UDFA safeties have been cut, ans that's about it..unless you count Tony Hollings
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #20
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Dunta Robinson is easily the best cover corner we have. I'll grant you that his production dropped off after his rookie year, but I contend it wasn't due to talent or ability. I think a malaise came over this team, and as a young guy, he got caught in it a bit.

He still has the great recovery speed you want to see in a CB, he leaps well for a 5'10" guy, he has great instincts, and he has very fluid hips. None of that has changed from his rookie year. And we all know what kind of a hitter he is. With a team-wide winning attitude, I think Robinson will emerge as one of the top five corners in the NFL over the next couple years. He has all the physical tools; it's just a question of drive, IMO. I think he's showing that he has the drive now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Kind of makes you wonder why Marlon McCree couldn't start at FS for us doesn't it? He was good enough to start 14 games for San Diego last year and 15 games for Carolina the previous season but couldn't find a way to out perform the amazing safety play of Marcus Coleman?

Of course it's not like the old regime was all that good at spotting talent when they saw it.
I've related this story before, but not sure if you've seen it or not. When Capers made the decision to move Coleman to FS and Faggins to CB, I called into his radio show and asked him why they hadn't considered playing Coleman at CB on passing downs and getting McCree on the field. His response was that they were expecting big things from Faggins. He went into the usual coachspeak yada yada about what a good job McCree had done, but effectively, gave his job to Coleman with no real competition.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read