Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-27-2007   #21
HotRodsHair
The Newbie

Default Re: Texans/Cowboys game observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I would like the Texans to stop the other team from converting on third down. That's a pass rush/coverage thing.

By the way, the Texans are currently #1 in the entire league in scoring offense. After playing both the Bears and the Cowboys, teams known for their defenses. Pretty cool huh.

That's what impresses me. Almost as much as the rush D statistics.
HotRodsHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #22
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I would like the Texans to stop the other team from converting on third down. That's a pass rush/coverage thing.

By the way, the Texans are currently #1 in the entire league in scoring offense. After playing both the Bears and the Cowboys, teams known for their defenses. Pretty cool huh.

Yeah, but it is only pre-season.

signed,
typical cowpie fan
Old 08-27-2007   #23
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

One of the major concerns I have after the Cowboys game is our secondary. I think teams are going to be able to go with 4 or 5 wideouts & exploit our secondary. It makes the need for a consistent & ferocious pass rush all the more important. If we can get in the QBs face our secondary won't have to cover as long & we might force a few turnovers. Definately a big concern heading into the season.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #24
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I posted it in another thread, but it bears repeating: The O-line is still not good. I am glad that I am not the only one to notice. They did not form pockets well for most of the game, so when they did, it was definitely noticeable. I like their run blocking, though, and Pitts looks like he was pushing people around very well for someone with a strained back. That was very encouraging. The center (can't recall if it was McK or Flanagan) got pushed into the backfield a couple times on pass pro. It was reminiscent of 2004-era McKinney when he gave up no sacks, but was always in the backfield, disrupting the play. Winston's issues seem to be mental/assignment-type things, which I don't worry too much about. That can be corrected by film study, coaching, and on-field communication.

All in all, I think Runner said it best - we may be in for a year of Schaub making this line look better than they are. Given the alternatives, I have to be OK with that, but I don't get a warm fuzzy about it, that's for sure.
Old 08-27-2007   #25
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

After watching a little more of the game on the replay. Did anyone notice the block that Salaam laid on Roy Williams on the Green 46 yd run? I loved it.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #26
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shadows View Post
After watching a little more of the game on the replay. Did anyone notice the block that Salaam laid on Roy Williams? I loved it.
I'm not sure to which one you refer, but after Roy Williams failed to wrap up Ahman Green, resulting in that big run, Salaam and Pitts sandwiched Williams, taking him out of the play. It was must-see TV
Old 08-27-2007   #27
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I could have sworn that I was told that a good QB cannot make a line look better...

I thought CP looked good out there. And I'm not jumping to any conclusions about the line. They are still in a learning process to know their QB, and this staff will shake things up and drive these guys to get better....unless, of course, it's a 'coaching problem'.
Old 08-27-2007   #28
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking Re: Texans/Cowboys game observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'm not sure to which one you refer, but after Roy Williams failed to wrap up Ahman Green, resulting in that big run, Salaam and Pitts sandwiched Williams, taking him out of the play. It was must-see TV

That's it.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #29
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I posted it in another thread, but it bears repeating: The O-line is still not good. I am glad that I am not the only one to notice. They did not form pockets well for most of the game, so when they did, it was definitely noticeable. I like their run blocking, though, and Pitts looks like he was pushing people around very well for someone with a strained back. That was very encouraging. The center (can't recall if it was McK or Flanagan) got pushed into the backfield a couple times on pass pro. It was reminiscent of 2004-era McKinney when he gave up no sacks, but was always in the backfield, disrupting the play. Winston's issues seem to be mental/assignment-type things, which I don't worry too much about. That can be corrected by film study, coaching, and on-field communication.

All in all, I think Runner said it best - we may be in for a year of Schaub making this line look better than they are. Given the alternatives, I have to be OK with that, but I don't get a warm fuzzy about it, that's for sure.
I think a lot of what you're saying goes under the 'things understood don't need to be explained column'. It's pretty easy to see that there are at least two positions--two key positions--on the line that could use an immediate upgrade. I trust these things will get taken care of though. I have faith in this staff's ability to draft and find ball players. Call me crazy.
Old 08-27-2007   #30
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was watching the game with a lineman in high school and he said Studdard looked like a beast.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we have in the O line just what we expected. Give the QB enough time to get a play off and to have a QB who can make good quick decisions and quick reads past the primary target. Schaub has done this. RBs, TEs and WR are doing what they are supposed to. LTackle is not going to change as for as talent but just needs to tie up the DE a few seconds. When JB is a LT look for us to run away from that side and maybe pull the guard, like Pitts did at least twice. If we can keep the defense off the field a bit and JJ and Mathis can eat some yards and maybe score a few, we will be better than last season. Let's don't get so focused on where we are headed that we completely forget where we were last season. We also can use Breuner to support JB when he is in there. There are not many other choices unless we want to play Salaam into the ground. Does not look as if Spencer will be back.
Old 08-27-2007   #32
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I could have sworn that I was told that a good QB cannot make a line look better...
The key words being "look better" vs. just "better". If McKinney gets blown by and Schaub unloads it before the hit, I don't think the line played better.
Old 08-27-2007   #33
real

As long as the scoreboard is tilted in our favor I don't care if the O-line's play is a mirage...
Old 08-27-2007   #34
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
As long as the scoreboard is tilted in our favor I don't care if the O-line's play is a mirage...
I think good o-line play would lead to more wins than mirage o-line play. The scoreboard isn't independent of the play on the field (over the long run).

I'm probably wrong about that too.
Old 08-27-2007   #35
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
The key words being "look better" vs. just "better". If McKinney gets blown by and Schaub unloads it before the hit, I don't think the line played better.
Even Tom Brady and Peyton Manning get pressured from time to time.
Old 08-27-2007   #36
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Even Tom Brady and Peyton Manning get pressured from time to time.
Therefore the Texans have a great line.

=====================================

OK, I give in everyone. I don't see a single area to criticize on the line. Run blocking, pass blocking, play recognition, schemes: all outstanding. I used to think the Cowboys of the mid 90's had a great line. They had nothing on this unit.

"All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds." - Dr. Pangloss
Old 08-27-2007   #37
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
One of the most pleasant things to see as a fan of this team was all the guys celebrating together...The guys really seem to like one another...

That is one of the signs of a winning football team....Guys that like eachother...

I saw everybody congratulating everybody....That was really nice to see...
Could not agree more. One thing I noticed was when Bennett had the interception he lost the ball, after the play was over, and went to the sideline. Brandon Mitchell wound up getting the ball and was in an enthusiastic, almost frantic state in an apparent attempt to give the first intercepted ball by Bennett to him on the sidelines.
Old 08-27-2007   #38
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 17420 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Could not agree more. One thing I noticed was when Bennett had the interception he lost the ball, after the play was over, and went to the sideline. Brandon Mitchell wound up getting the ball and was in an enthusiastic, almost frantic state in an apparent attempt to give the first intercepted ball by Bennett to him on the sidelines.
Too cool for words!
Old 08-27-2007   #39
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Asylum View Post
Too cool for words!
You see it happen many times, but I just do not recall it being so animated, as it struck me, especially by a guy who may not make the squad (Mitchell). That is what made me pause and think that there is something going on in that locker room that has not been seen from a Texan team in the past - a hint or whiff that an identity or culture of a team is being formed and felt by players whose time may be short with the Texans, but are wrapped up in it because it is contagious.

I read into things to much at times and attach my own thoughts based on previous experiences in sports, but there is just a feeling about this organization right now that is totally different than the last five years.

Last edited by Kaiser Toro; 08-27-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Kaiser Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007   #40
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Therefore the Texans have a great line.
I never said that.

I just don't think the sky is falling when I see the line play. Ask yourself why we still have three linemen from the 2002 squad, yet so many other positions have experienced turnover. Are the coaches blind to what you think you see as obvious?

Or, could it be somewhere in the middle. Not the greatest, not the worst, but an average line that can still be good enough for a solid RB and QB to work behind? Of course there is room for criticism, like every position on the team.

Imagine compromise. Not everything is black and white.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read