Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-26-2007   #1
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans/Cowboys game observations

Dunta was flat out impressive - coverage and against the run. He will be an All-Pro this year if the team can start turning some heads.

We went to a shot gun formation on the offense's second snap and JJ was called for illegal formation. We then abandoned the formation until we went back to it the next possession I believe. The Cowboys blitzed on this play, Winston went left to double team with Weary and allowed Burnet to go untouched on the edge. Schaub sacked, shotgun formation not looking to hot from a results stand point.

Winston again did the same thing when Green got smacked in the backfield. I like Winston, but on the surface these two misses are unacceptable. He is no longer invited to breakfast at my house.

Saw an empty backfield a number of times. It was like Kubiak was bringing his playbook to life like a Fathead Pop-up Book.

Barber was around the ball and showed why he is solid in coverage. He did get flagged on the play, but that foul had nothing to do with making that terrific interception.

CC Brown and J Black make me want to puke.

Simmons hit hard...Fletcher looked good in the nickel...Bennett could not wrap a WR, looked weak...Pitts looked good on the screen...Studdard makes this team...I am worried about LT, I would not mind seeing Pitts get some reps at LT.....A Davis makes this team
Old 08-26-2007   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans/Cowboys game observations

I wonder if the Winston problem on the blitz was Winston or the scheme. The Texsans always seem to have more problems with the blitz than other teams.

The team also needs to figure out the shotgun. Is it that hard?

Jordan Black has looked as bad as I thought he was. He seemed like a waste of money at the time and continues to look the same way to me. I don't like rolling the dice on Salaam's continued health. These coaches have shown no desire to use Pitts at tackle. That is one critical position with little depth.
Old 08-26-2007   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I just checked the roster after the cuts and I found it interesting that Pitts is suddenly listed as a G/T.

I think they've got the same worry about Mr. Black that I do. If Ephraim goes down, we're in big trouble with Jordan Black out there.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I still worry about left tackle and center. We may be in for a season of Schaub making the line look good rather than the line being good. That is good enough, but definitely the lesser of the two options. The offense definitely rolled yesterday with Schaub's pocket presence.
Old 08-26-2007   #5
tjb
Rookie

Ahman Green is really good at blitz pickup. He was low yardage last season with GB because he had to stay in so often and help the rookie OLs protect Favre. You are going to like his pass blocking back there.
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #6
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Dunta was flat out impressive - coverage and against the run. He will be an All-Pro this year if the team can start turning some heads.

We went to a shot gun formation on the offense's second snap and JJ was called for illegal formation. We then abandoned the formation until we went back to it the next possession I believe. The Cowboys blitzed on this play, Winston went left to double team with Weary and allowed Burnet to go untouched on the edge. Schaub sacked, shotgun formation not looking to hot from a results stand point.

Winston again did the same thing when Green got smacked in the backfield. I like Winston, but on the surface these two misses are unacceptable. He is no longer invited to breakfast at my house.

Saw an empty backfield a number of times. It was like Kubiak was bringing his playbook to life like a Fathead Pop-up Book.

Barber was around the ball and showed why he is solid in coverage. He did get flagged on the play, but that foul had nothing to do with making that terrific interception.

Simmons hit hard...Fletcher looked good in the nickel...Bennett could not wrap a WR, looked weak...Pitts looked good on the screen...Studdard makes this team...I am worried about LT, I would not mind seeing Pitts get some reps at LT.....A Davis makes this team

Dunat looks freaking awesome that's for sure, I agree we could see him in a pro bowl at the level he is playing.

And JJ is showing to be a very smart draft choice, he will have a great year I think.

Walter looked good to me, made some good grabs, he is solid.

OD is looking real good. Not afraid to make the tough grabs in traffic.

Green looks like he has plenty of gas in the tank to be effective. And I strongly second the comment about his blitz pick up, it is very good.

Schaub is a fiery competitor, did you see those fist pumps after the first TD pass. He is making very good decisions and shows good placement with the ball.

I really liked what I saw on Saturday, Kubiak has the guys playing very hard.

Get ready for a good solid year, I think we finally break through the ole .500 mark with style and go 9-7.

Old 08-26-2007   #7
TexansSB07
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 TexansSB07 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexansSB07 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:

I personally liked hit CC put on TO to make him drop ball, don't seem to remember him doing much
TexansSB07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-26-2007   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I just checked the roster after the cuts and I found it interesting that Pitts is suddenly listed as a G/T.

I think they've got the same worry about Mr. Black that I do. If Ephraim goes down, we're in big trouble with Jordan Black out there.
If you are putting your best five on the field, and Salaam goes down, I think you are better off with Flanagan, McKinney, Pitts than McKinney, Pitts, Black.

Arguably, even with a health Salaam, you might be better with Flanagan, McKinney, Pitts.
Old 08-26-2007   #9
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSB07 View Post
I personally liked hit CC put on TO to make him drop ball, don't seem to remember him doing much
Umm, I think that was D-Rob that made that hit.
Old 08-26-2007   #10
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18944 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Good posting KT. After reflecting on the game this morning, there wasn't much I could be too picky about. The defensive line was getting good pressure on Romo (especially Okoye and MW, which was good to see.) The offense was moving the ball at will. The line failed to pick up some blitzes occasionally, but Dallas is a fantastic blitzing team and Schaub showed good pocket presence evading the rush with only one sack (one that would have resulted in a fumble had the other #8 been behind center.) The one negative I saw was the lack of turnovers with our first team defense. The line was getting pressure on Romo, making him throw on the run, and this needs to result in turnovers. We can't be a playoff team if we perenially rank in bottom of the league in turnover ratio.

Also, Kubiak's presser comment on Spencer has me terribly concerned. I agree that it might be in our best interest to move Pitts to LT if Salaam goes down. Though I wouldn't be at all opposed to playing a line of Pitts-Studdard-McKinney-Weary-Winston as opposed to Pitts-McKinney-Flanagan-Weary-Winston. I know Flanagan has the veteran advantage, but if last season is any indication of the contribution we'll get from him, I don't see why we can't get the rookie in there and see if he's someone we can count on in the future.

Anyways, I loved what I saw last night. I was just hoping to see us hang with the aggressive defense Dallas has been throwing out there this preseason and we straight out beat it. Let's hope we keep it up when it counts.
nero THE zero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #11
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Studdard looked very good. He does a great job of getting to the second level. His motor is higher than about any OLman I've seen. I'd like to see that kid out there also. Hopefully he won't be needed much this year but I agree that he makes the team and will eventually force playing time.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #12
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I felt the schemes were off, too, for Winston. The coaches need to evaluate those plays closely. Winston hit the body in front of him, but there was clearly nobody anywhere near the guy coming off the line. Whether that becomes Winston's problem or the QB should be reading that and making an adjustment (if he is allowed to make that kind of an adjustment) - I have no idea. But I don't want to immediately fault Winston. I suspect a TE or RB was supposed to be there.

On the other hand, there was at least once or twice where the DE pushed Salaam around like he was nothing. Circumnavigated the guy and spun him like a top. I'm not thrilled with that. That happened too often last year, and I don't expect defenses to forget about it this year.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
I felt the schemes were off, too, for Winston. The coaches need to evaluate those plays closely. Winston hit the body in front of him, but there was clearly nobody anywhere near the guy coming off the line. Whether that becomes Winston's problem or the QB should be reading that and making an adjustment (if he is allowed to make that kind of an adjustment) - I have no idea. But I don't want to immediately fault Winston. I suspect a TE or RB was supposed to be there.

On the other hand, there was at least once or twice where the DE pushed Salaam around like he was nothing. Circumnavigated the guy and spun him like a top. I'm not thrilled with that. That happened too often last year, and I don't expect defenses to forget about it this year.
I think the pass play in which Winston blocked down instead of picking up the outside pressure was just a missed call. To me it appeared like Winston intentionally blocked down expecting help from the RB to pick up the outside rush. Obviously there was nobody in the backfield to pick him up. Kubiak pionted out that Winston made a couple uncommon mistakes.

Hopefully these missed assignments are worked out by the end of pre-season.
Old 08-27-2007   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

I to share your concern about a lineup with Black at LT. Dang, its exciting enough to have Salaam in there.
I dunno, but how are the Chiefs a playoff team last year with Black as their LT starter for all but a couple games ?
Good eye to catch that listing of Pitts on the roster as a "G/T". I'm hoping Kubiak elaborates on that first chance he gets, but suspect its linked to his
admission that Spencer almost certainly won't be back atleast this year. And
oh yea, he's probably not feeling any more confidant about Black as Salaams
backup than the rest of us are ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #15
real

Both of those mistakes were on Winston...

The scheme had nothing ot do with the missed assignments from him....
Old 08-27-2007   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I dunno, but how are the Chiefs a playoff team last year with Black as their LT starter for all but a couple games ?
They snuck into the play-offs at 9-7...... & they lost that play-off game (IMHO) mainly due to blacks inabillity to play LT.
Old 08-27-2007   #17
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Good observations KT as usual.

I'm really liking what I've seen from Studdard. Guy plays with intesity and fire. That alone is something this line needs and he'll make the team easy IMO.

I am nervous as well about C and LT. I'm wondering if we'll see any of Chris White Thursday. At least seeing Pitts listed as G/T shows that the Coaching staff is just as nervous about the LT spot. I think Black is probably better suited to go to RT if he's needed hell or maybe guard. I hope this inspires the Staff to Keep Brandon Frye and develop him cause there's no way he passes waivers.

Quote:
I still worry about left tackle and center. We may be in for a season of Schaub making the line look good rather than the line being good. That is good enough, but definitely the lesser of the two options. The offense definitely rolled yesterday with Schaub's pocket presence.
I think we'll have the answer to the question about the O-line or the QB. Right now it ooks like a little of both but a Huge difference what a smart QB can do given a shaky line.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #18
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I to share your concern about a lineup with Black at LT. Dang, its exciting enough to have Salaam in there.
Good eye to catch that listing of Pitts on the roster as a "G/T". I'm hoping Kubiak elaborates on that first chance he gets, but suspect its linked to his
admission that Spencer almost certainly won't be back atleast this year. And
oh yea, he's probably not feeling any more confidant about Black as Salaams
backup than the rest of us are ?
I talked to Spencer before the game while the team was warming up. I asked him when he will be back and he held up seven fingers. He was like yeah I think sooner but it's up to the doctors. Told him that we really needed his big @ss to get back on the field.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #19
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like the Texans to stop the other team from converting on third down. That's a pass rush/coverage thing.

By the way, the Texans are currently #1 in the entire league in scoring offense. After playing both the Bears and the Cowboys, teams known for their defenses. Pretty cool huh.

Old 08-27-2007   #20
real

One of the most pleasant things to see as a fan of this team was all the guys celebrating together...The guys really seem to like one another...

That is one of the signs of a winning football team....Guys that like eachother...

I saw everybody congratulating everybody....That was really nice to see...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read