Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-26-2007   #1
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP
Default Some Tough Choices For Kubiak Ahead

I don't know about you guys, but I would hate to have Kubiaks job deciding who to cut this year. We have ALOT of competition at numerous positions.

Wide reciever seems the toughest so far. We haven't really seen anything from Mccardell and Bethel Johnson. I think we got 4 solid guys with AJ, Walter, Jacoby, Andra Davis. Jerome Mathis makes it 5 and David Anderson would make it 6. So I guess it's Mccardell and Bethel fighting to live?

Linebacker has some tuff battles too

I think Stanely is gone

What's your thoughts so far on the big cuts comming up?
Old 08-26-2007   #2
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Some Tough Choices For Kubiak Ahead

i look at it this way...we are finally at a position where guys are competing for jobs.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #3
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think we can cut Andre Davis. All preseason he's had sure hands. I'd even start him over Walter.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we have 3 sure bets at wide receiver:

AJ
Walter
Jacoby Jones

Andre Davis, Jerome Mathis, Keenan McCardell, David Anderson, and Bethel Johnson fighting for a spot. I think Mathis and Davis have the heads up there, but it may still be up for grabs. McCardell has been disappointing as has Bethel Johnson.

The 3rd running back position is up for grabs too. Gado and Lundy are fighting for that job.

But most importantly....bye, bye Chad Stanley

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #5
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I think we have 3 sure bets at wide receiver:

AJ
Walter
Jacoby Jones

Andre Davis, Jerome Mathis, Keenan McCardell, David Anderson, and Bethel Johnson fighting for a spot. I think Mathis and Davis have the heads up there, but it may still be up for grabs. McCardell has been disappointing as has Bethel Johnson.

The 3rd running back position is up for grabs too. Gado and Lundy are fighting for that job.

But most importantly....bye, bye Chad Stanley
Mathis is a sure bet as well. The question remains how many other WR's will the Texans keep and who will they be?
Old 08-26-2007   #6
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Everyone keeps leaving Charlie Adams out of the competition for WR. Has been mentioned several times in the camp reports, plus maybe several good catches during the games. But like everyone else says it is going to be a tough decision.

Also heard they have a big decision on Frye as well, they want him on practice squad but don't think he will clear waivers.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #7
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Good point about Adams - he had nice catch last week for a TD. It is gonna be tough but hey I'd rather have this way than for us to be scratching around.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-26-2007   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

My top 5 WRs are AJ, Walters, JJ, A.Davis, & Mathis but after that I dunno who's next. Do we keep 6 or 7 WRs ?
I think Gado should be our top backup to AG, so my top 3 is easy: AG, Gado,
& Dayne.
What about FB ? Cook dropped another ball last night. Even though he's experienced I think I'd keep Abbate over him even though he's so inexperienced. Could Pass be the #2 ?
Pickin the 6 LBs will also be real tough.
Thursdays game in TB is huge for a lot of players trying to make the roster and the coachs last chance to get a look-see for the 75 to 53 reduction.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

This is why I started the "How many roster spots..." thread last week.

We're going to be losing some really good players next week. This is going to be really rough.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #10
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man View Post
Everyone keeps leaving Charlie Adams out of the competition for WR. Has been mentioned several times in the camp reports, plus maybe several good catches during the games. But like everyone else says it is going to be a tough decision.

Also heard they have a big decision on Frye as well, they want him on practice squad but don't think he will clear waivers.
Andre played well ast night but it's the first full game i really got to see myself. I think he makes the squad though along with Mathis. IMO it's a battle for the last spot between everyoneelse.

LB will be interesting. I'd like to see Clark win the starter spot myself.

Do agree though Frye will probably be one of the toughest choices. Lots of upside and athleticism ; i know it's a later pick but i'd hate to see a draft pick go down the drain. I also don't think he'll clear waivers myself and i think we'd be better served keeping him

Know this might open some wounds here but any word lately on Spencer's rehab?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #11
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man View Post

Well Adams didn't make the cut, nor Williams who I rated.

We are cutting some decent players.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #12
real

I'd go into the season with six WR's....

AJ, JJ, KW, AD, JM, DA.....

McCardell and Bethel would be toast....
Old 08-26-2007   #13
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5084712.html
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
This is why I started the "How many roster spots..." thread last week.

We're going to be losing some really good players next week. This is going to be really rough.
Yes and it was a damned good thread, which I bumped once I beleive.

David Anderson made a great catch last night. Might just be a case of too many guys for too few spots. That 1 is going to cut me to the bone. Eight guys going for four spots, somebody gotta go. Next twelve is going to realy hurt.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 08-26-2007 at 06:52 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #15
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Eight guys going for four spots, somebody gotta go. Next twelve is going to realy hurt.
Very true, the next cuts we'll be getting rid of some decent players. However, it is a good sign and does speak well about our team's talent when the cuts are incredibly hard to make.
Old 08-26-2007   #16
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:

Kubiak said he let Adams go to give a better shot at making another teams roster.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #17
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Only 1 more cut to be made before the the last preseason game.

Who will it be???

My guess is.... I actually have no idea, I was looking at the roster and there are no obvious candidates.

If I had to go on a limb I will say DE Victor DeGrate.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If I had to go on a limb I will say DE Victor DeGrate.
DeGrate has made some plays this preseason. If we cut him, I expect us to try to get him onto the practice squad.

Do we have to wait until after the last cuts to start signing guys to the PS?
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #19
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

kubes said they might keep an extra linebacker. i think that would make 7 instead of 6.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #20
nfl-brit
Groovy, baby!

Rep Power: 10 nfl-brit was voted MVPnfl-brit was voted MVPnfl-brit was voted MVPnfl-brit was voted MVP

Quote:

Nice to be in the position to do so, though, eh?

I'm optimistic for the upcoming season.

Sig by AZwhoopr
Adopt-a-Texan 2008 : Matt Schaub
"nfl-brit.....keeping Allah busy since 1988"
nfl-brit is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read