Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-26-2007   #21
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 413 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Post Game Thoughts

Our corners are alright, Faggins will get burned every now and then, but Dunta is solid and Fletcher has been making plays in coverage. The problem, IMO, is our safeties. With Brown and Simmons back there we're going to give up some huge passing plays this year.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #22
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

It's amazing what time in the league can do for players. With Babin and Dunta coming into their third year, they are looking like solid players. Dunta especially is starting to look like the kind of player the Texans organization anticipated when they drafted him.

I liked seeing tackles from Travis Johnson, Okoye, Demeco, and Mario. TJ in particular continues to impress me with his run-stopping skills, and Okoye showed me a flash or two of what he can do.

Green has added a new dimension to the Texans offense. Stay healthy, AG!!!! I like The guards pulling. Chester and Weary are opening up that little seam that Green needs.

On the other hand, there are some aspects of play that worry me. Romo had too much time to sit back and fire them off to his receivers. With the Texans defensive secondary as inept as it is (Dunta isn't the only player back there), this could be the thing that kills the defense. The front four just aren't pressuring the quarterback. If they continue to not put pressure, this is going to be a long season.

The o-line. Sorry, but I'm still not impressed. It's part scheming, but the pass protection doesn't look any better, IMO. Salaam is still getting played, and Winston is still looking like a rookie. The defensive charge up the middle is also getting them.

So basically the team looks much improved in areas it was decent at last year. The nadirs of the Texans continue to be o-line and defensive secondary.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #23
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post

So basically the team looks much improved in areas it was decent at last year. The nadirs of the Texans continue to be o-line and defensive secondary.
My thoughts exactly. My only hope is that as far as the O-line goes, Schaub's quick decisions save the day enough to keep the sack numbers down, and the unit continues to learn and improve but without the disdain they recieved during or previous QB.

As far as the secondary goes, I see it this way. Petey needs to stick with the nickel position where he is covering a tight end or back. His coverage ability is so weak, and he doesnt have the speed to pursue or make up space.

CC Brown STILL sucks in coverage and looks lost half the time. He continues to play the man and not the ball, wich is gonna cost us alot of interference calls again this year.

It's kind of wierd, we basicly have like 4 strong safeties on our team, someone needs to step up with some coverage ability, maybe Hutchins, maybe Bennett. I think so far Fletcher is our best cover corner besides Dunta and Bennett is showing promise, but will need more time I think.

Basicly we all need to pray, and maybe we will win alot of close games that we used to lose.

On the brightside our run defense looks pretty darn solid, and if we can step up the pressure on the QB then we could get by with the shoddy coverage.
Old 08-26-2007   #24
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post

It's kind of wierd, we basicly have like 4 strong safeties on our team, someone needs to step up with some coverage ability, maybe Hutchins, maybe Bennett. I think so far Fletcher is our best cover corner besides Dunta and Bennett is showing promise, but will need more time I think.
I'm starting to think that Brown isn't very good at either FS or SS....he was the reason that TO scored the first time.....just a really sloppy approach on his missed tackle.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #25
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I just re-watched the game on DVR. Some of my thoughts -

I never thought about the TO touchdown as being against Faggins. Vinny is correct in stating that it was Simmons who had a bad angle. Faggins missed assignments at least two other occasions, and I believe two more than that (I was keeping count during the viewing, but no notes on specific plays). The one that stands out was the first down catch for Hurd (Herd? - sp?). There was at least one more where he was on his guy, but just got outplayed. Plays like that have very little to do with the pass rush and everything to do with Faggins. Unfortunately, as Xtru points out, we have no one to really replace him with. I have my fingers crossed for Bennett, personally, but he has to take the job.

Morlon Greenwood only made one bad play that I could find. He missed a tackle on the Dallas RB (Jones, I think) and Ryans came up with a nice ankle tackle on the play to save a huge gain. Greenwood isn't our strongest player, but he's no Matt Stevens. Most of our secondary is closer to the Matt Stevens line. My big problem with Greenwood is how I've been told repeatedly how fast he is, yet he never seems to run anyone down. He's often around the ball, but almost always the second guy there. Meh ... I'd like to replace him once the secondary and O-line are addressed.

O-line: Sorry, folks, but I am going to say something very unpopular here. I am seeing the same old crap from them. The #1 difference is Schaub. That guy is making a world of difference for this team, but that does not mean the O-line is performing well. And when the real bullets start flying, and there's more game tape for opponents to study, this libe is going to get Schaub killed. And that's not even considering the (inevitable) injury to some starter. Go back and watch the game, if you have it recorded, and pay close attention to what kind of pocket Matt has to work with (or doesn't, in most cases). It looks no different than when YKW was here. Notable exception - on the TD pass the Jacoby Jones, that was how a pocket is supposed to look. They did an outstanding job on that play. For most of the second quarter, they didn't form anything resembling a pocket. My respect for Schaub is rising fast (and I liked him all along), while my fears about the O-line are in the process of being confirmed. Just as our defense came together last year, don't be surprised if our offense starts to struggle as the year goes along, and look no further than our front five.

Mario has to show more. I know, he made some plays, was finally somewhat effective, but that is the absolute minimum I want to see from him. It's a step in the right direction, and I am nowhere close to calling him a bust; I am just calling it as I see it. He has to do more.

Travis Johnson had a pretty good game. He tied up blockers and allowed Ryans, Barber, and Clark (as well as Mario on at least one play) to make some good plays. I like what I am seeing from him. Maddox had a couple good plays, as did Zgonina. At the game last night, I remember thinking "#92 is Weaver, but I thought he was injured. Oh well, nice play". Well, that was Zgonina.

Demarcus Ware is the one who got that horse-collar tackle on Ahman Green, not the DB #42 (Henry?). I had to slo-mo it to make sure, but it was Ware. He ran him down from the LOS. I think it's natural to expect it, but Ahman Green doesn't have the same jets he had before the knee injury. Ware is a good player, but still. By the way, Roy Williams gave up that play by not wrapping up a tackle on Green, then he got blasted by both Pitts and Salaam. It was pretty cool to watch.

Jason Simmons hits HARD. And even after he lays the wood, he comes back and does it again. I like the guy a lot. (but, he's no cover safety)

Anyway, JMO and a few thoughts from what I recall.
Old 08-26-2007   #26
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

For What Itís Worth: I think this is a great thread and there are a lot of great posts in it.

I was at the game and basically didn't watch enough of it be analytical about what I saw. I was way too busy jumping up and down, cheering our team, and heckling the cowgirls fans. The good times started with an amazing punt return and continued on till the end of the third quarter when I stood up proclaimed victory over the Cowgirls and walked out.

What can I say, I'm a fan!
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #27
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
For What It’s Worth: I think this is a great thread and there are a lot of great posts in it.

I was at the game and basically didn't watch enough of it be analytical about what I saw. I was way too busy jumping up and down, cheering our team, and heckling the cowgirls fans. The good times started with an amazing punt return and continued on till the end of the third quarter when I stood up proclaimed victory over the Cowgirls and walked out.

What can I say, I'm a fan!
Same here (well, except for the leaving early part - shame, shame). This is what DVR is for, lol.
Old 08-26-2007   #28
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
. . . if we can step up the pressure on the QB then we could get by with the shoddy coverage.
That can't be overstated. Good pressure upfront negates, or at least minimizes the effect of bad secondary play. If they could only manage to get some pressure with just the front four, at least once in a blue moon, it would make the coverage that much better.

As for the O line, why they are all of a sudden playing so much better . . . I have absolutely no idea.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #29
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
As for the O line, why they are all of a sudden playing so much better . . . I have absolutely no idea.
They aren't. They are still playing poorly. Many on here have said all along that the QB play does not exonerate the line play. They didn't form a pocket worth a damn too many times last night, but Schaub is dealing with it very well. Kudos to him, Kubiak, and the backs and receivers that are atepping up as well.
Old 08-26-2007   #30
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

O-line: Sorry, folks, but I am going to say something very unpopular here. I am seeing the same old crap from them. The #1 difference is Schaub. That guy is making a world of difference for this team, but that does not mean the O-line is performing well. And when the real bullets start flying, and there's more game tape for opponents to study, this libe is going to get Schaub killed. And that's not even considering the (inevitable) injury to some starter. Go back and watch the game, if you have it recorded, and pay close attention to what kind of pocket Matt has to work with (or doesn't, in most cases). It looks no different than when YKW was here. Notable exception - on the TD pass the Jacoby Jones, that was how a pocket is supposed to look. They did an outstanding job on that play. For most of the second quarter, they didn't form anything resembling a pocket. My respect for Schaub is rising fast (and I liked him all along), while my fears about the O-line are in the process of being confirmed. Just as our defense came together last year, don't be surprised if our offense starts to struggle as the year goes along, and look no further than our front five.
I watch a ton of football...and this is normal stuff....the line on any team is going to win some battles and lose some battles...but every time we lose a battle our fans want to bash them because it's what we have done over they years trying to justify a ton of bad quarterbacking...so we make it out to be worse than it is...just my opinion on this one.

Old 08-26-2007   #31
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I watch a ton of football...and this is normal stuff....the line on any team is going to win some battles and lose some battles...but every time we lose a battle our fans want to bash them because it's what we have done over they years trying to justify a ton of bad quarterbacking...so we make it out to be worse than it is...just my opinion on this one.
If we were losing some and winning some, roughly at a 50/50 rate, I'd not be concerned at all. We lost most of the trench battles last night (on both sides, for that matter). I would be thrilled if we were good enough to "win some, lose some". As it is, we lose most.

ETA - We won the game, so I am happy and not being alarmist. I am just pointing out what I saw.
Old 08-26-2007   #32
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:

O-line is having the same pass-protection issues as last year. The pass-protection hasn't changed a bit. Dallas seemed to be able to blitz with relative ease when they blitzed. The run-blocking is better, which I attribute more to Sherman's schemes (pulling guards) than to Ahman Green, though he has pushed around a few to get extra yards.

The pass-protection scares me. Defenses are still running from any side and getting into the backfield. That shouldn't be happening to such a propensity, especially in preseason. I am going to go ahead and make the prediction that, like last season, the offense will look worse once the season starts and the defense will look better.

Season hasn't begun and I'm already wondering about next year's draft. Kubiak has said they are 1 to 2 players shy of a great team. I'm thinking it's three or four, but that's JMO (Center, Left Tackle, defensive secondary help).
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #33
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
If we were losing some and winning some, roughly at a 50/50 rate, I'd not be concerned at all. We lost most of the trench battles last night (on both sides, for that matter). I would be thrilled if we were good enough to "win some, lose some". As it is, we lose most.
I didn't see awful line play like you describe....but historically, we haven't seen the same things year-in, year-out on the boards....we all have our opinions though. give 'em hell.

Old 08-26-2007   #34
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I didn't see awful line play like you describe....but historically, we haven't seen the same things year-in, year-out on the boards....we all have our opinions though. give 'em hell.
Difference of opinions aside, if you have the time at some point, go back and watch how the pocket is formed on the Jacoby Jones TD pass. Then watch how the pocket is formed for the rest of the first half. Then come back and tell me you aren't at least a little concerned.

Edited to make myself a little clearer.
Old 08-26-2007   #35
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 48009 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
This is what DVR is for, lol.
I still have a VCR for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #36
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 48009 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Williams said he did something different in this game, but wouldn't disclose what it was saying only it had to do with his approach. Whatever it was, he said it made him feel "a lot more comfortable."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #37
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 832 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Great win, secondary needs work but the run defence was ok.

and what can you say about Jones. Wow.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #38
UvaldeTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 24 UvaldeTexan is a Legendary performerUvaldeTexan is a Legendary performerUvaldeTexan is a Legendary performerUvaldeTexan is a Legendary performerUvaldeTexan is a Legendary performerUvaldeTexan is a Legendary performerUvaldeTexan is a Legendary performerUvaldeTexan is a Legendary performerUvaldeTexan is a Legendary performerUvaldeTexan is a Legendary performerUvaldeTexan is a Legendary performer

My biggest concern coming out of the Dallas game was the Texans inability to get off the field in 3rd and long situations. It seems to me like the secondary is just playing way to soft in these situations and is happy to just keep the play in front of them and give up a medium range pass for a first down. The rest of the game was great I thought for the team.
Old 08-26-2007   #39
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Difference of opinions aside, if you have the time at some point, go back and watch how the pocket is formed on the Jacoby Jones TD pass. Then watch how the pocket is formed for the rest of the first half. Then come back and tell me you aren't at least a little concerned.

Edited to make myself a little clearer.
I was at Hervoyel's house during the game and he can tell you that almost all my focus on each and every play picked apart the oline last...pretty much exclusively (just ask him)....we just don't see the same things when we watch football games....never have. You could very well be right as I'm wrong more often than it pleases me...so it's all just a bunch of opinion at the end of the day.

Old 08-26-2007   #40
real

I thought we played pretty well on both sides of the ball as far as line play was concerned...I think there was definitely a lot to be encouraged about as far as line play is concerned...

You have to keep in mind the competition we were going against...

Yes, there were some bust....but that's part of growing up...we are a young team....plus, every team bust from time to time...

Overall, I'd say we had better line play than the cowboys on both sides of the ball--and again--considering the competition that's saying a lot IMHO....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read