Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-26-2007   #1
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer
Default Post Game Thoughts

I just got done watching the first three quarters on DVR. This game was a really good game for the Texans and, although a pre-season game, a good measure of where this team stands. Almost everyone agrees that the Cowboys are a team that could go deep into the play-offs and we flat out beat them tonight.

(1) QB- I think we have seen enough of Schaub to know that he is everything that Carr wasn't. You have to love his pocket presence. He made one quick throw in particular where a defensive player cut through the line (for what looked like a for sure sack) and he zipped the ball right to the fullback. He doesn't seem to get rattled in the pocket and knows exactly where the ball needs to go when the pressure comes. The most impressive thing I saw from him tonight was taking the offense back on the field after two unimpressive series (the second ending with a sack) and get the offense back on track. If he can do that when it matters, he will gain the confidence of his teammates - which is something that this offense hasn't ever had. Sage is the perfect second string QB.
(2) RB - Green looked heads and shoulders better than he has looked so far this pre-season. I think he will be solid for us this year and his biggest asset seems to be his understanding of the system. Dayne looks solid and I see Gado taking the third spot. I'll miss the potential of Taylor this season.
(3) FB - We haven't seen much this off-season, but we know what we have.
(4) TE - Am I a homer to think that Daniels could be a pro-bowl TE? He did drop a ball tonight, but that seems to be the exception to the rule. OD consistently makes tough catches and is a playmaker for us. Putzier has looked good this offseason as well.
- I haven't seen much of Bruener this off-season, but haven't been looking. Any chance that he does not make the cut?
(5) WR - What were we all so worried about? We have a pro-bowl receiver in AJ. Walter looked really good tonight making some nice catches and is a legit possession type receiver. I don't think he has done anything to lose the starting spot, but I think Jacoby might have played so well that it may be hard not to give it to him. I have admitted before that I was not a fan of the Jacoby pick - and I was wrong. He is just a solid athelete whose confidence as a football player seems to grow play-to-play. Reports from camp were that he struggled with consistency, but I have seen him make some tough catches the last two weeks. I think Jacoby could have a major impact on the offense this year. I see Andre Davis as the fourth option and think Mathis did enough this off-season to take the 5th spot.
- Do we save a roster spot for McCardell?
(5) OL - I think the OL is going to be good enough. I still sense a lot of pressure (can't tell from where), but with the right QB, the line doesn't look near as poor as it has in the past. In addition, as the offense in general is able to keep things moving and generate some momentum, Kubiak is going to have more of a chance to change things up to keep defenses honest - as opposed to constantly attacking the QB, which will take some pressure off the line as well.
(6) DL - I think we look solid against the run, but we still can't seem to get enough pressure on the pass. Mario looked much better tonight. I think he looks more comfortable on the left side, but I liked seeing him get moved around. I don't know - but I just feel like if he can make or play or two, some of that pressure will be lifted and he will just break-out. Weaver is still due back which will be a boost to the line with talent and leadership. I can't tell enough about the play of DT, but I haven't seen Amobi do much.
- What about Johnson and Maddox starting at DT, with Amobi coming in?
(7) LB - DeMeco seems to be on about 80% of the stops that I see and he should continue to get better. I think Danny Clark has solidified himself a starting spot and I feel good about our depth.
(8) DB - Dunta looked like a pro-bowl caliber CB tonight, but the rest of the backfield did not look that solid to me. Is it me, or are we better off when we are in a third and short situation than third and long? Some of this may be on the DL for not getting enough pressure, but I just don't think we have the talent back there right now.
(9) Special Teams - Solid. Our kick/ punt returns will be a huge asset to this team.

All in all, I think the offense looks better than I thought they would at this point, but the defense doesn't look as good as I thought that they might. I do think that both units played well against a good Dallas team and with so many young players on the field, there is good reason to believe that we see a lot of improvement as the season goes on.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 158250 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Post Game Thoughts

Regardless of pass rush, our secondary looked pretty bad tonight, aside from DRob. I saw players leave their zone responsibility, get crossed up on routes, and flat out get beat way too often. I am seriously beginning to become the anti-fan of Faggins. The guy has gotten a pass from me, and many other fans, because I think we all view him as a nickel back playing a starter's role. But his coverage skills weren't as good last year as they had been in the past, IMO, and he's picking up right where he left off last year. I am not encouraged. The safety play is about the same - they hit hard, but can't cover very well. The hit tonight from Jason Simmons is why I love the guy, but his coverage is why I've said all along he shouldn't be a starter. There were a couple times that a lack of pass rush left the secondary out in the cold, but there were more times where the secondary just sucked.

Regardless, we won, so I am happy. If the D can continue to stop the run, we may end up in some pretty unusual (for Texans, anyway) defensive situations, which might help things along. Bennett made a nice INT and it was actually a really nice play on the ball. If he continues to show that, he'll take the #2 CB job (*crosses fingers*).

Travis Johnson had a nice game as well. He kind of did the old Seth Payne routine, taking up two blockers and making room for the LB corps.
Old 08-26-2007   #3
quicksilver
Overweight

Well done!

You bring up Bruener's lack of visibility, and wonder if there's a spot for McCardell considering how our young receivers are doing. I will add that Poole, McCleon, and (though I love the guy from his days with the Rams) Zgonina haven't shown us much at all on the field. Now, I'm certain that these veterans have been a terrific asset in showing all the young guys on this team the right way to approach the game, and surely they've taught the tactics of their positions. However, if they're not showing enough to make the rotation at their positions, are we going to keep them on the team? And if we don't, will the loss of veteran presence result in a diminution of the intangibles they've brought to the table?

This situation causes me concern.
Old 08-26-2007   #4
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Regardless of pass rush, our secondary looked pretty bad tonight, aside from DRob. I saw players leave their zone responsibility, get crossed up on routes, and flat out get beat way too often. I am seriously beginning to become the anti-fan of Faggins. The guy has gotten a pass from me, and many other fans, because I think we all view him as a nickel back playing a starter's role. But his coverage skills weren't as good last year as they had been in the past, IMO, and he's picking up right where he left off last year. I am not encouraged. The safety play is about the same - they hit hard, but can't cover very well. The hit tonight from Jason Simmons is why I love the guy, but his coverage is why I've said all along he shouldn't be a starter. There were a couple times that a lack of pass rush left the secondary out in the cold, but there were more times where the secondary just sucked.

Regardless, we won, so I am happy. If the D can continue to stop the run, we may end up in some pretty unusual (for Texans, anyway) defensive situations, which might help things along. Bennett made a nice INT and it was actually a really nice play on the ball. If he continues to show that, he'll take the #2 CB job (*crosses fingers*).

Travis Johnson had a nice game as well. He kind of did the old Seth Payne routine, taking up two blockers and making room for the LB corps.
I have been probally the biggest anti-Faggins person on these MB's for the past 2 years. I cannot stand the guy. He is not a NFL calibur player. He makes me so mad. He at one point seemed to be a slightly below average NB, but now he is not even that. I have been calling for his head to roll for 2 full seasons now. You can be member #2 to the "Anti-Faggins Club", but I started that wagon rolling a while ago.
Old 08-26-2007   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 158250 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I have been probally the biggest anti-Faggins person on these MB's for the past 2 years. I cannot stand the guy. He is not a NFL calibur player. He makes me so mad. He at one point seemed to be a slightly below average NB, but now he is not even that. I have been calling for his head to roll for 2 full seasons now. You can be member #2 to the "Anti-Faggins Club", but I started that wagon rolling a while ago.
Well, sign me up. There was a thread last week talking about how he doesn't hold up against the run, but his coverage was good, and I was just thinking, "Huh?!?"
Old 08-26-2007   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I never liked Faggins as a starter, but I still think he can play the nickel. This is getting back to my wanting Darryl Revis in the draft.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

It was Brown that had the poor angle and support on the Faggins chase play on the Owens TD....fwiw

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-26-2007   #8
real

Not sure who you guys want to play instead of Faggins....Maybe Bennett if he can grow a whole lot during this season.....

Personally I'd like for Greenwood to get replaced...
Old 08-26-2007   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know, but I'm just thinking about the draft next year (not that I don't have high hopes for this year).

Old 08-26-2007   #10
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 116198 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Not sure who you guys want to play instead of Faggins....Maybe Bennett if he can grow a whole lot during this season.....

Personally I'd like for Greenwood to get replaced...
First things first.
Greenwood will do until we find a FS and a #2 CB. Sorry if he doesn't make enough ESPY-type hits for you. I would have thought that Barber would have pushed him but apparently not. I have a feeling that Zac Diles may have his spot before too very long.
Old 08-26-2007   #11
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 116198 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh and cut all the O-linemen. We gave up a sack.
Old 08-26-2007   #12
HotRodsHair
The Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Oh and cut all the O-linemen. We gave up a sack.
It's hard to get a sense of where the line breaks down from the regular camera angle, but the couple of times that guys got smacked in the backfield they showed close ups, and two times that I remember Winston completely missed the plays. Both times the guys went wide of him and he completely ignored them, letting them run free. Of course, his side was the strong side in the running game.
HotRodsHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #13
HotRodsHair
The Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
(4) TE - Am I a homer to think that Daniels could be a pro-bowl TE? He did drop a ball tonight, but that seems to be the exception to the rule. OD consistently makes tough catches and is a playmaker for us. Putzier has looked good this offseason as well.
- I haven't seen much of Bruener this off-season, but haven't been looking. Any chance that he does not make the cut?
Now, I am a big Washington Husky fan, so I probably will defend Bruener more staunchly than someone else, but I see no way he gets cut. He is the big blocking TE who plays like an extra tackle.

Last season he had 9 catches for 62 yards and 2 TD's. Not flashy numbers, but enough to ensure the defense has to account for him despite his being known as a blocking TE.
HotRodsHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #14
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10234 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Good post Spike, thanks!

Being able to watch the highlights only I, like many others, loved the JJ return and catch, but the one play I like the most (that was featured on the highlights thingie) were AJ's TD, I'm not sure what that defender was, but AJ tackled him into the end zone. Sweet
Old 08-26-2007   #15
whiskeyrbl

Excellent post!!
My favorite replay was the "To Old" Ahman Green breaking tackles and tearing off a 46 yard run. It was even sweeter from my seat in Reliant,although I was not sitting when he broke into the open.
Old 08-26-2007   #16
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
(1) QB- I think we have seen enough of Schaub to know that he is everything that Carr wasn't. You have to love his pocket presence. He made one quick throw in particular where a defensive player cut through the line (for what looked like a for sure sack) and he zipped the ball right to the fullback. He doesn't seem to get rattled in the pocket and knows exactly where the ball needs to go when the pressure comes. The most impressive thing I saw from him tonight was taking the offense back on the field after two unimpressive series (the second ending with a sack) and get the offense back on track. If he can do that when it matters, he will gain the confidence of his teammates - which is something that this offense hasn't ever had. Sage is the perfect second string QB.
(2) RB - Green looked heads and shoulders better than he has looked so far this pre-season. I think he will be solid for us this year and his biggest asset seems to be his understanding of the system. Dayne looks solid and I see Gado taking the third spot. I'll miss the potential of Taylor this season.
Well said
Old 08-26-2007   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
It was Brown that had the poor angle and support on the Faggins chase play on the Owens TD....fwiw
I do not get the game coverage up here, but I can easily believe that as well. I have been against CC starting at FS since the move was announced, but so have a boatload of other people. I think this just points to the overall bad state of our secondary.
Old 08-26-2007   #18
quicksilver
Overweight

I don't see how we can continue to play Brown at FS. For every play he makes, it seems he gets burnt twice. Surely Von Hutchins can do better than that.
Old 08-26-2007   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
I don't see how we can continue to play Brown at FS. For every play he makes, it seems he gets burnt twice. Surely Von Hutchins can do better than that.
I didn't (or couldn't) pay much attention to Brown on TV, but I have generally agreed with that statement.

Old 08-26-2007   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Von Hutchins at FS and Bennett at #2 CB? Bennett seems to have good instincts for the position and the ball.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read