Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-25-2007   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Our Kicking Game

Matt Turk essentially was helping Stanley pack his bags tonight...........long boomers with long hang times when needed............shorter boomers within the 20 with huge hang times.

Kris Brown did well.............but several of his kickoffs were short line drives. Was he trying something different purposefully.......and it didn't work? Or was he trying to get distance and couldn't this week. We didn't see this scarey type of kick in the 1st two games.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007   #2
HotRodsHair
The Newbie

Default Re: Our Kicking Game

Brown was squib kicking several kickoffs, and the guys in the wedge (linemen) couldn't do anything with them. If Dallas wasn't going to adjust to the technique, no reason to change it.

The only negatives on special teams tonight were a missed field goal and a called timeout for ten men on a punt.
HotRodsHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

How long was that missed field goal attempt? I don't remember, but it seemed like the ball was in the air forever. Maybe it's just me.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
How long was that missed field goal attempt? I don't remember, but it seemed like the ball was in the air forever. Maybe it's just me.
43 yards. He should have made it.
Old 08-26-2007   #5
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77922 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Turk will make a huge difference this year giving the team better field position and Kris Brown is ok.. we could upgrade him but he is adequate in my opinion.
Old 08-26-2007   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Turk will make a huge difference this year giving the team better field position and Kris Brown is ok.. we could upgrade him but he is adequate in my opinion.
Unless Kris Brown improves drastically, he is not adequate. He has been, taking the past three years' percentages, the worst kicker in the AFC at 30+ yards. The. Worst. Kicker.

Not adequate. The Worst Kicker. In case it wasn't clear, I have wanted him fired for a while. It sort of amazes me how many people do actually think he's an adequate kicker, though.
Old 08-26-2007   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

He has been bad for a few years, but I thought he was doing well this preseason. Has he kicked anything over 30 yds. until the miss last night?

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-26-2007   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
He has been bad for a few years, but I thought he was doing well this preseason. Has he kicked anything over 30 yds. until the miss last night?
He's hit four from 30+ and only missed one this preseason. If he continues that, I'll back off my Kris Brown Awareness Program, but I have a couple years of frustration built up already.
Old 08-26-2007   #9
HotRodsHair
The Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
He's hit four from 30+ and only missed one this preseason. If he continues that, I'll back off my Kris Brown Awareness Program, but I have a couple years of frustration built up already.
Yeah, I was going to say he is 8 for 9 this preseason and hasn't missed any PAT's. Hard to say he sucks with that percentage.

In 2006 his stats broke down like this:
1-19 yards 1 for 1
20-29 yards 4 for 4
30-39 yards 3 for 5
40-49 yards 11 for 13
50+ 0 for 2

For his career:
1-19 yards 5 for 6
20-29 yards 46 for 46
30-39 yards 60 for 76
40-49 yards 57 for 83
50+ 9 for 21

I think he's been solid, if unspectacular, for the Texans. His kicking has been key in many of the Texans wins over the last couple of seasons. I find it hard to bag on one of the consistent performers of the team.
HotRodsHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #10
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82834 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

After the winning FG against the Colts the guy's grown on me. But after looking at stats, yeah, he's not so good.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #11
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

put him between 20 and 29 and Kubiak will be happy with his numbers.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodsHair View Post
Yeah, I was going to say he is 8 for 9 this preseason and hasn't missed any PAT's. Hard to say he sucks with that percentage.

In 2006 his stats broke down like this:
1-19 yards 1 for 1
20-29 yards 4 for 4
30-39 yards 3 for 5
40-49 yards 11 for 13
50+ 0 for 2

For his career:
1-19 yards 5 for 6
20-29 yards 46 for 46
30-39 yards 60 for 76
40-49 yards 57 for 83

50+ 9 for 21

I think he's been solid, if unspectacular, for the Texans. His kicking has been key in many of the Texans wins over the last couple of seasons. I find it hard to bag on one of the consistent performers of the team.
I ran the numbers in another thread earlier this year, and what most fans don't realize is that those numbers, that you think aren't that bad, actually put him at the bottom of the AFC. Actually, the numbers I ran are just for 2004-2005-2006, so those aren't precisely the same, but you get the idea.

Here's the earlier thread. Like I said, if Brown continues to hit 8/9, I'll not only back off, I'll promote him for Pro Bowl. I don't see it happening, but I do hope for it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read