Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-26-2007   #21
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking 5-2

Williams, Johnson, Maddox, Okoye, Babin

Clark Ryans

TRY AND RUN NOW!

Do we really need Greenwood, when we could do this?

I'm just kidding, of course. We don't have the secondary for it.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #22
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Talk Smack about Mario more often..

I didn't catch the game, but I recall Mario having his best games on the strong side.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #23
gjmac2
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 gjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Very impressed with Mario tonight...Saw some really good things from him out there...really good...

Especially on the left side...
X,

Your post earlier this week was right on the money. He is, and should remain, the LE on this defense. He just looks more comfortable playing that way, more aggressive and less tentative.

Just my .02
gjmac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #24
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjmac2 View Post
X,

Your post earlier this week was right on the money. He is, and should remain, the LE on this defense. He just looks more comfortable playing that way, more aggressive and less tentative.

Just my .02
I thought that his earlier poor performances might be due to his lack of familiarity and comfortability with playing RDE. That was why I started a thread to analyze what position Mario Williams was lined up in last year on the plays that he had the most success.

On a few plays, I think I saw Shantee Orr lined up as RDE with the first unit, or was he just lined up as the WLB blitzing, with Mario at LDE. It seemed to create havoc in the back field. I hope to see the 4 Firsts front that Xtru and others, including myself, have been asking for, on Thursday.
Old 08-26-2007   #25
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 132624 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Got back from Reliant..............Mario looked much better with pressure, but was always going wide outside. He was playing both right and left end almost equally and as usual looked a little stronger against the run which came to that side or center. While on the left side he was using his hands like a cat pawing ultra fast at some hanging catnip. this almost slapping motion was performed against the left tackle's chest..............what's with that maneuver?.........All-in-all, there was some fire detectable.
Could someone, if you didn't see it during the game, please review Mario film on the right side and please explain to me was was with those maneuvers?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #26
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Could someone, if you didn't see it during the game, please review Mario film on the right side and please explain to me was was with those maneuvers?
I saw it.

One thing I noticed is that at the start it seemed like he was running away from the tackle to get space. Because usually he used to get locked up and then he'd be useless on the play.

So from what I seen when he had his space he did that 'clawing' I am not sure if he did it on purpose, but I think once he had the space he could use his speed and I saw it as sorta 'Juking' the tackle. I'd have to see the game again though. I think it is coming on again on NFL TV in about 15 minutes.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #27
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't get to watch all the games, but I'm gonna go ahead and just give my opinion on this position situation with Mario. I don't think he has a fast enough first step to have much success rushing the passer from the weak side. He's fast enough, but I don't think he's quick enough for it. I've seen him go like he was going to try to do it, sort of get beat to the outside (or at least not win the quickness battle well enough), and then go way back inside and head for the noseguard/center area like he thought there'd been a hand off or something. Any player knows you don't actually have time to do all that and still get to the QB in one play.

The good news is that Mario is even stronger than we probably thought when he was drafted. He might get to the QB as much from the strong side as we hoped he would from the weak side, and that frees up somebody else to do that weak side edge-rushing.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-26-2007   #28
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 26 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer

I saw the effort there tonight, maybe the smack talk all week did help. For all the calling out the media did all week, I am sure the coaches did alot more in practice.

I think the one thing that is missing with Mario is technique. That is something that is going have to develop. A spin move, a swim move, a feint move all would help him as he is strong and fast already.
dskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #29
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 116 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 5-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Williams, Johnson, Maddox, Okoye, Babin
So is Weaver in the picture right now or is he just makeing millions riding the bench?
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #30
real

Quote:
I'm going to review the film and do a write up about every position and try to get actual times so people can go back and look at it if they want to...

I saw what you were talking about and that wasn't really any specific technique...he was just trying to keep the offensive linemans hands busy, and off of him...
Old 08-26-2007   #31
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it safe to say yet that Mario's picking up some technique?
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read