Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 08-24-2007   #21
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New #12 Jersey

I seriously doubt that Jacoby keeps #12. That's a terrible number for a WR. It shouldn't be too expensive for you to change out the numbers.

Boldin
Moss
Pickens
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #22
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109600 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Sounds like you were listening to 790 between noon and 3. Please, they do screen callers. they did not want to look like idiots .................. errrr to late.
It was 1300 after 4PM. I had to look them up on the 1300 site because I didn't know who they were. It was the first time I heard them. Gregg and AJ are their names.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #23
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
According to some sports radio talk show hosts here in Austin, if you are over 30 and still wearing jerseys you are "gay".

I'm 38 and must be "flaming" since I own several. Granted, I normally don't wear them out anywhere unless it's to a game or a sports bar to watch a game.
I thought that was a pretty funny bit. I was listening to it in traffic the other day. I think that he was really trying to get listeners riled up because 90% probably have a jersey somewhere in their closets.

The guy you're talking about is Gregg Henson. I don't agree that it's gay, but some people take it too far. Some of his arbitrary jersey rules.....

You should be similar in build to the actual player. Don't be 5'3 and 260 pounds and wear a Peyton Manning jersey.

The only people that should wear them is the girlfriend/wife of the player.

Throwback jerseys are okay, but only if the player is older than you. For example, if you wear Limas Sweed's jersey, then that's gay.

Henson just got hired as the Zone's GM. I think that he's trying to make some waves. I thought that the bit was so funny that I kept listening after I parked.

Jeff Ward (KLBJ) says that no man over the age of 25 should own a football jersey.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #24
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109600 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I thought that was a pretty funny bit. I was listening to it in traffic the other day. I think that he was really trying to get listeners riled up because 90% probably have a jersey somewhere in their closets.

The guy you're talking about is Gregg Henson. I don't agree that it's gay, but some people take it too far. Some of his arbitrary jersey rules.....

You should be similar in build to the actual player. Don't be 5'3 and 260 pounds and wear a Peyton Manning jersey.

Throwback jerseys are okay, but only if the player is older than you. For example, if you wear Limas Sweed's jersey, then that's gay.

Henson just got hired as the Zone's GM. I think that he's trying to make some waves. I thought that the bit was so funny that I kept listening after I parked.

Jeff Ward (KLBJ) says that no man over the age of 25 should own a football jersey.

Then according to their logic, Reliant Stadium and most NFL stadiums across the nation are Gay Pride events on Sundays. Most sports bars are gay bars. Since most of those places are full of guys over 25 or 30 wearing football jerseys.

Honestly, I didn't like it when the NFL started putting names on the backs of fan jerseys. That trend started right before the Oilers left. It was better when it was just the numbers. I like the jerseys because I am a fan of the team, not the player. Players come and go.
Old 08-24-2007   #25
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle View Post
Does this apply to women, especially if we are not married to the player?

Who knew about all the gay fans and bars!
No, woman where exempt. I agree you are gay if you own a Vince Young Titans jersey and were not a fan of the Titans before Vince was there.
Old 08-24-2007   #26
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Then according to their logic, Reliant Stadium and most NFL stadiums across the nation are Gay Pride events on Sundays. Most sports bars are gay bars. Since most of those places are full of guys over 25 or 30 wearing football jerseys.

Honestly, I didn't like it when the NFL started putting names on the backs of fan jerseys. That trend started right before the Oilers left. It was better when it was just the numbers. I like the jerseys because I am a fan of the team, not the player. Players come and go.
I am not gay, I am just a lesbian trapped in a mans body.

Old 08-24-2007   #27
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173004 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see why JJ wouldn't keep #12. Mathis is #13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-24-2007   #28
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
I seriously doubt that Jacoby keeps #12. That's a terrible number for a WR. It shouldn't be too expensive for you to change out the numbers.

Boldin
Moss
Pickens
a couple of years ago the "hot" new number for wr's was the number 11...seen that number on tons of new wr's....last year Marcus Colston was number 12 so I think that perhaps he sticks with it.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #29
59hitshard
Rookie

He better or he is buying me a new jersey. Or at least signing my number 12.
59hitshard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #30
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I am not gay, I am just a lesbian trapped in a mans body.

LOL, I can relate to that.
Old 08-24-2007   #31
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, woman where exempt. I agree you are gay if you own a Vince Young Titans jersey and were not a fan of the Titans before Vince was there.
I've got his Longhorn jersey. I bought a cheap replica at Walgreen's last year right before the OSU game when I was fired up. I guess I'm gay by this guy's standard as well.

When it comes to team gear, I prefer t-shirts and polo shirts, so I'll probably sell it when I have a garage sale. I did the same with my old Aikman jersey that I never wore.

Quote:
It was a pretty funny rant. He said that by this standard, he can only wear a Jared Lorenzen jersey.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #32
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 27 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer

I am 99.9% sure Jacoby will be keeping 12.

610 had a merchandising rep from the Texans on a couple of days ago and she said they will be getting the 12 jerseys in the store next week. Sucks it will be after the Cowboys game, but hopefully I can get one before the Chiefs. But I will still rock my Davis 37 from time to time.
dskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #33
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 41545 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

wait. i thought Domanick Williams won OROY in 03? (Boldin's rookie year.)
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #34
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post

"jersey rules"???

Sounds very metrosexual...and he wants to call someone gay? Is this one of those "Queer Eye for the Straight Guys" sort of radio shows? (not that there's anything wrong with it)

The thing is, people that wear jerseys don't give a rat's ass what this guy thinks. His opinion is worthless, and only has value when you - as an individual - enable it.

It's a football game and people wear team colors and gear. It's not a hard concept to understand. Dude is fishing for ratings. A radio host troll. Niiiiiiice.
Old 08-24-2007   #35
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
wait. i thought Domanick Williams won OROY in 03? (Boldin's rookie year.)
that was the 'Pepsi' rookie of the year.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #36
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Pickens surprised me winning a OROY but then again Blake to Pickens and Scott was a thing of beauty for a season or two.

Blake threw a great deep ball.
Old 08-31-2007   #37
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected
Question Will Jacoby Jones Change His Number?

Now that most of the cuts have been made, do you think that JJ will change to one of the more traditional WR numbers? Maybe he will be like Mathis and keep the low number he has now.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007   #38
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88
Default Re: Will Jacoby Jones Change His Number?

I don't think he does. He was number 2 in college, and players tend to keep numbers in the pros that their were numbers in college or close to it (Mathis was #3 in college). It also seems to be a trend with the younger guys, they like the smaller numbers.
Old 08-31-2007   #39
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he has too..I am still looking for the rule but remembered this
from reggie bush trying to keep #5
Quote:
The NFL Competition Committee rejected the request by Bush and other players to change its uniform numbering system for the 2006 season, and committee co-chairman Rich McKay doesn't see enough sentiment to change it in the future.

After two 2-hour conference calls, the committee informed NFL owners Tuesday not to change the numbering system. For more than 30 years, the NFL has tried to help fan identification by keeping the positions of players under a certain numbering system. Quarterbacks have to be between No. 1 and No. 19. Running backs have to be in the 20s, 30s or 40s.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2455586
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007   #40
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
NFL

A system of assignment of jersey numbers was initiated in American football's NFL in 1952;[1] it was updated and made more rigid in 1973.[2] Numbers are always worn on the front and back of a player's jersey, and so-called "TV numbers" are worn on the sleeve or shoulder. Many uniforms also feature numbers either on the front, back, or sides of the helmet (in pro football, these were most famously worn on the San Diego Chargers "powder-blue" uniforms). Players have often asked the NFL for an exception to the rule. In 2006, New Orleans Saints running back Reggie Bush requested to keep the number 5 he wore in college. His request was declined, and he was assigned number 25 by the team.[3]

Below is the numbering system established by the NFL, and in place since 1973:[4]

* Numbers 1 to 19 are worn by quarterbacks, kickers, and punters.

* Since 2004,[5] Wide receivers are also allowed to wear numbers between 10 and 19 if they so choose, even if there's an 80-89 number available.

* Numbers 20 to 49 are worn by running backs, tight ends (when an 80-89 number is unavailable), cornerbacks and safeties.
* Numbers 50 to 59 are worn by linebackers and offensive linemen.
* Numbers 60 to 79 are worn by members of both the offensive line (the tackles, guards and centers) and defensive line (the defensive ends, defensive tackles and nose guard).
* Numbers 80 to 89 are worn by wide receivers and tight ends.
* Numbers 90 to 99 are worn by linebackers and defensive linemen.
* Numbers 0 and 00 are no longer used, though they were issued in the NFL before the number standardization in 1973. George Plimpton famously wore 0 during a brief preseason stint at quarterback for the Detroit Lions. Jim Otto wore number "00" ("aught-oh") during most of his career with the Oakland Raiders. Wide receiver Ken Burrough of the Houston Oilers also wore "00" during his NFL career in the 1970s.

It should be noted that this NFL numbering system is based on a player's primary position. Any player wearing any number may play at any position on the field at any time (though players wearing numbers 50-79 must let the referee know that they are playing out of position by reporting as an "ineligible number in an eligible position"). It is not uncommon for running backs to line up at wide receiver on certain plays, or to have a large lineman play at fullback or tight end in short yardage situations. Also, in preseason games, when teams have expanded rosters, players may wear numbers that are outside of the above rules. When the final 53-player roster is established, they are reissued numbers within the above guidelines.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squad_number#NFL

I stand corrected
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read