Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-23-2007   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Team speed

This is where I think we've improved the most this offseason. Our team speed, particularly at WR is way better than it was at this time last year.

AJ/JJ/JM/AD/BJ...WOW!!!
Old 08-23-2007   #2
real

Default Re: Team speed

I don't know if BJ makes it.
Old 08-23-2007   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Me neither, I was just posting him as an example of our overall speed at the position. This time last year the only WR we had was AJ because Mathis was hurt. Now we've got potentially 4 more guys with comparable speed to AJ.
Old 08-23-2007   #4
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I doubt it.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #5
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6688 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Man would I love to see the Texans spread the field with these guys. Install a no-huddle for Schaub, and let two guys streth the seam and bring Owen and Andre underneath. We should be able to make some plays!

Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The no-huddle that the Bills used to use with Jim Kelly just killed teams. Defenses had no time to adjust or substitute personnel, and it was just brutal to watch you team try to deal with it.

I'd love to see us with some kind of option to use that, especially if we went three WR sets like the Bills 'red gun' offense would use. They'd still have a TE, so the run was still a threat (especially with Thurman Thomas back there), but could easily use the TE and HB in passing plays, as well.
Old 08-23-2007   #7
kiwitexansfan
Let's Mock!!!!!

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

WR has a lot of speed but on the defensive side of the ball we are still pretty slow in the backfield.

Sorry to rain on the party but we may need to score a lot of points to make up for the big plays they may give up.
Old 08-23-2007   #8
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 289 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The no-huddle that the Bills used to use with Jim Kelly just killed teams. Defenses had no time to adjust or substitute personnel, and it was just brutal to watch you team try to deal with it.

I'd love to see us with some kind of option to use that, especially if we went three WR sets like the Bills 'red gun' offense would use. They'd still have a TE, so the run was still a threat (especially with Thurman Thomas back there), but could easily use the TE and HB in passing plays, as well.
Everytime the Colts go into no huddle they are hard to stop as well. I never understood why they didn't do it even more instead a doing it in the typical spots.

No huddle would be awesome. Keep the action moving as well. With our receivers life would be hell for defenses.
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #9
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 113586 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Johnson, A.
2. Walter, K.
3. Jones, J.
4. Mathis, J.
5. Davis, A.

6. Pick from:
McCardell
Johnson, B.
Adams, C.
Anderson, D.,
Williams, H.;

My money is on McCardell although I'd rather have the speed of Bethel....
Old 08-23-2007   #10
real

David Anderson.
Old 08-23-2007   #11
HotRodsHair
The Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
WR has a lot of speed but on the defensive side of the ball we are still pretty slow in the backfield.

Sorry to rain on the party but we may need to score a lot of points to make up for the big plays they may give up.
In the preseason so far the passing defense has looked very poor, giving up 280 yards per game through the air (30th overall) despite playing two teams who are not really known for having potent passing offenses. The rush D has been decent, at less than 100 yards per game.

However, the scoring has been pretty good and the Texans are averaging 26 points per game which is third in the preseason. (I know, it's just the preseason.) The scoring D is holding at 20 points per game.

A six point differential, if carried into the season, would bode well for this team. To put it in perspective, they gave up 23 and only scored 16 per game during the last season.

Last edited by HotRodsHair; 08-23-2007 at 05:42 PM.
HotRodsHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #12
kiwitexansfan
Let's Mock!!!!!

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice break down hotrod.

Lets hope we hold that over into the regular season....

Random question time: Have the Texans ever scored more points than they have conceded??
Old 08-23-2007   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Random question time: Have the Texans ever scored more points than they have conceded??
Everytime we win. Yes.
Old 08-23-2007   #14
Line_Producer
Party Rocker

Rep Power: 120 Line_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool Re: Team speed

Quote:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say just about everytime they won .

I really hope I misunderstood the question.

*damn. He beat me to it.*
Line_Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142677 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nice break down hotrod.

Last preseason.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #16
HotRodsHair
The Newbie

Quote:
Nice break down hotrod.

I'm going to assume you are referring to the season averages, so I looked at the previous best season (2004) and found they surrendered 21.2 while scoring 19.3, a breakdown of -2. That's really not that bad. To put it in perspective Indianapolis had a regular season split of +4.
Old 08-23-2007   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The highest we've ever scored is 31 in regular season and 33 in pre-season.
Old 08-23-2007   #18
HotRodsHair
The Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The highest we've ever scored is 31 in regular season and 33 in pre-season.
That 33 was the last game, and one thing we need to note is only seven of them came from a TD by a kick returner and none were scored by the D. That's an impressive offensive production. However, I must also concede that the special teams returners should be credited with getting the field position needed for many of those points.

The point I'm trying to make (albiet poorly) is this was no @ three rivers defensive scoring fluke. This team is showing to be capable of puting up scores.
Old 08-23-2007   #19
kiwitexansfan
Let's Mock!!!!!

I think our offense is taking the next step this year, I would be dissappointed if we didn't at least much the 2004 production.

I would rep your work Hotrod but my work won't let me in.

Last edited by kiwitexansfan; 08-23-2007 at 08:24 PM. Reason: added comment re: repping hotrod
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #20
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40369 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodsHair View Post
In the preseason so far the passing defense has looked very poor, giving up 280 yards per game through the air (30th overall) despite playing two teams who are not really known for having potent passing offenses. The rush D has been decent, at less than 100 yards per game.

However, the scoring has been pretty good and the Texans are averaging 26 points per game which is third in the preseason. (I know, it's just the preseason.) The scoring D is holding at 20 points per game.

A six point differential, if carried into the season, would bode well for this team. To put it in perspective, they gave up 23 and only scored 16 per game during the last season.
The Cardinals aren't known for having a potent passing offense?

Ok.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read