Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2007   #1
real

Default McKinney to Start, Okoye to start rushing the passer...

Quote:
Houston Texans Football

Aug. 22, 2007, 12:07AM
TEXANS NOTES

By JOHN McCLAIN AND MEGAN MANFULL
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Steve McKinney started at left guard in the first two preseason games while Chester Pitts recovered from a lower back injury. Pitts returns against Dallas, and McKinney is going to start at center and play the first half ahead of Mike Flanagan.

"I feel good about the way I played at guard, but there's always room for improvement," McKinney said. "I haven't been in the rotation at center the last two weeks, and now I'm getting this opportunity, and I'm pumped about it."
Coach Gary Kubiak said the job is wide-open between Flanagan and McKinney. Kubiak

Quote:
Amobi Okoye is spending this week trying to remind himself of what made him a standout at Louisville. The 20-year-old rookie said he is focusing on his pass-rush moves and hopes to have more of an impact on the game this weekend than he had in the previous two preseason games.

"One thing I did when I was in college was play the passer and react to the run, and I think during training camp, I kind of did the reverse," Okoye said. "So I'm going to try to focus a lot more on what got me here, and that's rushing the passer first and reacting to the run."
Coach Gary Kubiak said he saw training camp take a toll on Okoye and looks forward to watching him improve.
"I think, like any rookie, this camp is probably the hardest thing he's ever been through," Kubiak said. "It's long. We haven't even started playing yet, and he probably already feels like he's been through a college season.
"You can sense that in young guys, but a couple weeks from now, when the red and white come in here, that fire will come back that juice."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5073826.html
Old 08-22-2007   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McKinney to Start, Okoye to start rushing the passer...

I think our hybrid center mckinney/Flannaga will get us through the season.
Old 08-22-2007   #3
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love Okoye to have a couple of sacks on Saturday. I'm predicting at least one for Okoye.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #4
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well if this group bows their necks Saturday night and has a good, not great but good outing against the cowpokes and that beast of an o-line JJ is building then
there's been a lot of panic for nothing on the boards this week. My only goal for the game is to keep as many bodies intact as possible for K.C.
Old 08-22-2007   #5
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think our hybrid center mckinney/Flannaga will get us through the season.
and the whole board said a collective form your lips to Gods ears.
Old 08-22-2007   #6
real

Glad McKinney is getting the start, though I have to admit Flannigan hasn't played too bad...

The few times I did watch him, he did pretty well..
Old 08-22-2007   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
and the whole board said a collective form your lips to Gods ears.
I also whispered please let Salaam hold up, Black be a keeper and please please heal Charles Spencer. God whispered back, "Don't push it."
Old 08-22-2007   #8
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89251 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope they don't put AO against Big L Davis. We don't need our 20 year old freak crushed like a bug.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #9
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
I hope they don't put AO against Big L Davis. We don't need our 20 year old freak crushed like a bug.
You have to be quick enough to catch the bug before you can crush him
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #10
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 74835 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Glad to see Pitts is back. Moving McKinney back to centre strengthens two spots on the line.
Old 08-22-2007   #11
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"One thing I did when I was in college was play the passer and react to the run, and I think during training camp, I kind of did the reverse," Okoye said. "So I'm going to try to focus a lot more on what got me here, and that's rushing the passer first and reacting to the run."
pssst...
Yo, Amobi. Tell that to Mario.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #12
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84758 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

L.Davis will be lined up oppisite of T. Johnson.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #13
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89251 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post
L.Davis will be lined up oppisite of T. Johnson.
Ewwww... Crushed bust walking
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 246968 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Glad to see Pitts is back. Moving McKinney back to centre strengthens two spots on the line.
I'm not making fun of you for saying this, I'm just pointing out that there was a time, not too long ago when I would have bet good money that these words, in this order were never going to be spoken.
Old 08-22-2007   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

true herv...when McKinney was center some (including me) wanted a real center and move McKinney back to guard..now we thinking of mcKinney back to Center.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 301166 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm not making fun of you for saying this, I'm just pointing out that there was a time, not too long ago when I would have bet good money that these words, in this order were never going to be spoken.
Absolutely true and yet at the same time a demonstration of how observation should overcome repetition. McKinney had an awful 2004 at center. Then he came back in 2005 and played much better but many folks just continued the herd in the same direction. McKinney's greatest weakness IMO is in decision making on where to support during pass protection--another example of analysis paralysis or poor decision making.

Anyone else notice McKinney has his best games against what is considered one of the best DT duos in the league?--Henderson and Stroud.
Old 08-22-2007   #17
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Absolutely true and yet at the same time a demonstration of how observation should overcome repetition. McKinney had an awful 2004 at center. Then he came back in 2005 and played much better but many folks just continued the herd in the same direction. McKinney's greatest weakness IMO is in decision making on where to support during pass protection--another example of analysis paralysis or poor decision making.

Anyone else notice McKinney has his best games against what is considered one of the best DT duos in the league?--Henderson and Stroud.
I am still not that fond of McKinney at center, but I am even less enamored of Flanagan. I was hoping one of the young guys would step up so Flanagan could be given his walking papers.
Old 08-22-2007   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 301166 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech9 View Post
I am still not that fond of McKinney at center, but I am even less enamored of Flanagan. I was hoping one of the young guys would step up so Flanagan could be given his walking papers.
Not enamored of McKinney either, but amongst the options on the squad would like to see him start. Sometime soon the Texans are either going to have to lay out the 1st day draft pick or find a diamond like converting Studdard to C. Once pre-season is over, I would have him working out there to see if he had potential to move.
Old 08-22-2007   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219370 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech9 View Post

Speaking of which...

Has anyone heard any more about Chris White's injury? The last I heard, it was worse than they had originally thought it was.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #20
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan

lets hope when ppl come to reliant they are scared to step on the field

PS. Yall wanna mess lets mess
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read