Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2007   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mario says "we have got to change everything" !

"We have got to change everything as far as how I come out here and do things," Williams said. "We're looking at how I was coming off the ball and my point of attack and things like that. ... I'm going to change that up a little bit as far as how I'm coming out there on opposing tackles."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5073885.html
In the latest Chron article, looks like they are going back to the drawing Board.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #2
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario says "we have got to change everything" !

I want to see Mario make big mistakes... the kid is thinking too damn much...
don't be afraid of mistakes, make BIG ones, and the plays will come...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #3
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Funny part is who he is going up against in the picture. Ben Steele - TE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

So, after reading that article, can we finally put this 'motivation' angle to rest? Can we finally now accept that he is, afterall, trying his best, that he's not just going through the motions, or dogging it, or whatever?

And if you accept that, does it make you feel better, or worse?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #5
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he'll be ok. Sometimes you have to tell the brain to shut it and just react. There is no questioning his physical attributes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #6
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Megan Manful wrote that article in such a way as to make Mario look and sound like an i.d.i.o.t.?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #7
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
So, after reading that article, can we finally put this 'motivation' angle to rest? Can we finally now accept that he is, afterall, trying his best, that he's not just going through the motions, or dogging it, or whatever?

The faithful fan in me wants to accept that article and get that warm & fuzzy feeling that it's all going to be OK come regular season. I'm going to try to put aside the negative feelings about his play to date in hopes that he "brings it" when it matters most. (OPENING DAY)
Old 08-22-2007   #8
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Megan Manful wrote that article in such a way as to make Mario look and sound like an i.d.i.o.t.?
Nah, I thought she wrote it in a way to make people chill out and feel a little sorry for the guy. Although, it is tough to feel sorry for someone with that many 0's on his bank account and then have that many 0's in a game....
Old 08-22-2007   #9
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 30085 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I want to see Mario make big mistakes... the kid is thinking too damn much...
don't be afraid of mistakes, make BIG ones, and the plays will come...

Maybe the team can collectively "BUST HIM IN THE MOUTH"!

Perhaps then he'll get mad enough to quit thinking so much and play ANGRY!

Just a thought...
Old 08-22-2007   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182216 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I equate this to a little league baseball game and Johnny is at bat . His dad yells ... get your feet apart ... so he spreads his feet . His coach yells ... get your elbow up ... so now his elbows up . The assistant coach yells ... put your weight on your back foot ... and Johnny is now so tied up he could'nt hit a beach ball .
Old 08-22-2007   #11
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like for him to just put his head down and run over people like he did against that Giants tackle last season, and then smash the QB. Get a couple of sacks like that and it's going to make the OT's think, thus opening up room for Mario's technique to come into play.

When you're built like a Mack Truck, run over people like a Mack truck.

N.D. Kalu said. "He's trying to do everything right, and it kind of takes away from his aggressiveness. I just try to tell him, 'Man, you're 6-7, 300 pounds, and you've got great explosiveness. Just use it and hit somebody in the mouth. Don't sit here and count your steps and worry about your hand movements. ... You've just got to be a freak.'

Last edited by HuttoKarl; 08-22-2007 at 08:33 AM. Reason: because N.D. Kalu agrees with me
HuttoKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

The article is actually kinda encouraging to me. We know Mario is gifted athletically and has the physical attributes to play DLine in the NFL. And apparently he very much, maybe even desperately wants to succeed.
So he's certainly not apathetic and learning the mechanics then should come with time, though it may require a longer time for him than others.
What may be missing though is the "mean-streak" that's the basis to bring a real intensity to his game. You know, the same kind of mentality that some said was missing from Seth Wand's game.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I equate this to a little league baseball game and Johnny is at bat . His dad yells ... get your feet apart ... so he spreads his feet . His coach yells ... get your elbow up ... so now his elbows up . The assistant coach yells ... put your weight on your back foot ... and Johnny is now so tied up he could'nt hit a beach ball .
That may very well be the case. I'm with Marcus--bad results don't mean a lack of effort. Analysis paralysis can really slow you down.
Old 08-22-2007   #14
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34025 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Well said, hopefully a coach will just grab him by the face mask and till him that his only purpose is to get the QB, screw everything else.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #15
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, it appears manful wrote it in such a way as to garner sympathy, but it's all a process.

the quotes by his teammates were dead on:

"searching for his fastball..." & "he needs to stop thinking so much..."

I need to give Kalu & Weaver rep for that.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #16
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Yeah, it appears manful wrote it in such a way as to garner sympathy, but it's all a process.

the quotes by his teammates were dead on:

"searching for his fastball..." & "he needs to stop thinking so much..."

I need to give Kalu & Weaver rep for that.
I said this yesterday and it is probably too simplistic but to get a little confidence in him I would point to the QB and just say "get him." Maybe he makes some mistakes but I'd rather see aggressive mistake than caution. He needs to pin the ears back and just get into the backfield. Be a disruption whether it is a run play or pass. I'm not an moron. I know it is easier said than done but I think right now he has too many chiefs and his head is spinning

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 08-22-2007 at 10:17 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #17
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

If this reasoning turns out to be true, we should realize that he's just been working on technique during preseason; but, I'd sure like to see him just get after it against Dallas and prove it.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #18
real

Does anybody remember the play last year in pre-season (I think it was the Rams?) where Mario was lined up on the left side and he ripped under the RT, the RT proceeded to grab his jersey, and Mario carried him and made the tackle on the RB in the backfield ?

The guy has shown flashes of being a good ball player, but he has yet to show me a flash of being a good to great pass rusher....

The guy is playing out of position...
Old 08-22-2007   #19
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
I'd like for him to just put his head down and run over people like he did against that Giants tackle last season, and then smash the QB. Get a couple of sacks like that and it's going to make the OT's think, thus opening up room for Mario's technique to come into play.

When you're built like a Mack Truck, run over people like a Mack truck.

N.D. Kalu said. "He's trying to do everything right, and it kind of takes away from his aggressiveness. I just try to tell him, 'Man, you're 6-7, 300 pounds, and you've got great explosiveness. Just use it and hit somebody in the mouth. Don't sit here and count your steps and worry about your hand movements. ... You've just got to be a freak.'
I like Kalu more and more everytime I hear from him. Last season he was one of the first to call out the team, this season he has made a few statements along this line (which I think are spot on), and he has also showed up and preformed in the preseason.

He is a good vet that doesn't hide his intentions and plays to win. Just a good guy.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #20
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Does anybody remember the play last year in pre-season (I think it was the Rams?) where Mario was lined up on the left side and he ripped under the RT, the RT proceeded to grab his jersey, and Mario carried him and made the tackle on the RB in the backfield ?

The guy has shown flashes of being a good ball player, but he has yet to show me a flash of being a good to great pass rusher....

The guy is playing out of position...
Where do you think is his best position? RDE?

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read