Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who should start?
Maddox/Okoye 22 28.57%
Maddox/TJ 19 24.68%
TJ/Okoye 36 46.75%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2007   #1
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Starting DT

Who should be our two starting DT?

Okoye - our current starting RDT. I don't think Okoye has earn the rights to start. He shown little flashes in pre-season. Is only 19 years old and body still maturing, I don't think he should be thrown in the fire against bigger, stronger players at his young age.

Maddox - our starting LDT. Played pretty solid last year. Haven't watched him in the two pre-season, so don't know he playing so far.

TJ - Playing alot better then years before, showing good pressure in the two pre-season games. Our best dlinemen this preseason IMO, even though it was against 2nd String players. Will get some plays against the one this week to see if he can get the some results against the starting one Oline.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #2
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Starting DT

Don't mean to be picky, but Okoye had a birthday over the summer.

and Okoye is GOING TO BE A STARTER, thats just the way today's NFL works. The kid makes too much money to sit. High #1s don't sit, they get snaps and a chance to gain live game experience and a chance to prove themselves......They get thrown into the fire, sink or swim.

The only position you will see drafted high that might sit is the quarterback and thats because some teams don't want to wreck a players confidence (who plays the most important position on the field) by throwing him to the wolves early
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #3
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 48009 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Me

On Madden that is

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #4
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan

no matter what okoye needs to be in there

PS. Yall wanna mess lets mess
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #5
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7106 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

doesn't matter who starts, i think we're deep enough to rotate so everyone goes all out
ATXtexanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #6
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 12366 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonFan View Post
no matter what okoye needs to be in there
i don't know.. he's a rookie and only 19. i'd rather have someone with experience out there.
Old 08-22-2007   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 146812 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageFerguson View Post
i don't know.. he's a rookie and only 19. i'd rather have someone with experience out there.
He's 20 now so he should be OK.

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2007   #8
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

With TJ's emergence so far this offseason I expect there to be a fairly constant rotation of people at the DT spot, which shoud be a good thing.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #9
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Who cares how old he is? Is he collecting a check? Is he the best option we have? Then I expect to see him out there.

Odd how we debate which of our 1st Round picks is going to start while we pencil in the Street FA as a starter. How's that for ironic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #10
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 12366 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He's 20 now so he should be OK.

oh. my bad.
Old 08-22-2007   #11
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

From what Kubes has said, we have 6 guys that will all rotate regularly, as far as the first snap? It will probably depend on the team we play. heavy passing team probably Maddox and Weaver, heavy rushing team probably TJ and Maddox. I think Okoye will be rotated in regularly based on his progress and the down and yardage. So far Okoye has not done well in rushing situations, he gets pushed around creating holes that actually hurt us rather than help us, but he will get better.
Old 08-22-2007   #12
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 832 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

what about Jeff Zgonina? Any sign of him during pre-season?
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #13
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 116198 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Who cares how old he is? Is he collecting a check? Is he the best option we have? Then I expect to see him out there.

Odd how we debate which of our 1st Round picks is going to start while we pencil in the Street FA as a starter. How's that for ironic?
Man, y'all sure do get wrapped around the axle on what flippin' round somebody got drafted in. That's all a bunch of crap if you ask me. Tom Brady was drafted in round six. He must REEEEALLY SUCK.
Old 08-22-2007   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
Who should be our two starting DT?

Okoye - our current starting RDT. I don't think Okoye has earn the rights to start. He shown little flashes in pre-season. Is only 19 years old and body still maturing, I don't think he should be thrown in the fire against bigger, stronger players at his young age.

Maddox - our starting LDT. Played pretty solid last year. Haven't watched him in the two pre-season, so don't know he playing so far.

TJ - Playing alot better then years before, showing good pressure in the two pre-season games. Our best dlinemen this preseason IMO, even though it was against 2nd String players. Will get some plays against the one this week to see if he can get the some results against the starting one Oline.
I go with Travis Johnson. He has had a good TC and a start would be a boost to his confidence. Would also give an idea how he will do against first string. Okoye can get time in game later against 2s. Maddox is solid and can sit for next two games in my opinion and be ready for what is needed against KC.
Old 08-22-2007   #15
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 116198 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
From what Kubes has said, we have 6 guys that will all rotate regularly, as far as the first snap? It will probably depend on the team we play. heavy passing team probably Maddox and Weaver, heavy rushing team probably TJ and Maddox. I think Okoye will be rotated in regularly based on his progress and the down and yardage. So far Okoye has not done well in rushing situations, he gets pushed around creating holes that actually hurt us rather than help us, but he will get better.
Sounds sensible enough...
Old 08-22-2007   #16
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6688 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancunian View Post
what about Jeff Zgonina? Any sign of him during pre-season?
I am sure they let him rest a bit more than others. I mean, he is like 50 years old right?

Speaking of our DT's... I think that this week we will learn a lot from how are guys respond going up against the Cowgirls o-line. If we get pressure from our front four this week I would venture to say that the last couple of games they were just playing around. If we get pressure this week, we are the real deal. And Mario will need more than bull rush moves to beat out Leonard Davis.

Wouldn't this be a great result after meeting the Texans D-line...

Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #17
HotRodsHair
The Newbie

The two guys playing the best with the D line the practice week leading up to the game are the two who should start. It really doesn't matter to me. We have depth, which is a really nice thing to be able to say.

Okoye will get lots of experience this year, but I don't know that we need to throw him to the fire. The depth gives the Texans a chance to bring him along without breaking him.

Man, I can't wait to see Okoye and Mario playing at full speed one day though.
HotRodsHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #18
HotRodsHair
The Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
I think that this week we will learn a lot from how are guys respond going up against the Cowgirls o-line. If we get pressure from our front four this week I would venture to say that the last couple of games they were just playing around. If we get pressure this week, we are the real deal. And Mario will need more than bull rush moves to beat out Leonard Davis.
Not just the D line, but the O line as well. For some time I've wondered if the line is getting better or if they've really been challenged yet. We should get a good idea if both the D line and the O line have improved in this game. Even that vaunted Chicago line was missing it's DT's.
HotRodsHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #19
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
I am sure they let him rest a bit more than others. I mean, he is like 50 years old right?

Speaking of our DT's... I think that this week we will learn a lot from how are guys respond going up against the Cowgirls o-line. If we get pressure from our front four this week I would venture to say that the last couple of games they were just playing around. If we get pressure this week, we are the real deal. And Mario will need more than bull rush moves to beat out Leonard Davis.

Wouldn't this be a great result after meeting the Texans D-line...

Davis is a guard now, not a tackle...
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #20
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Man, y'all sure do get wrapped around the axle on what flippin' round somebody got drafted in. That's all a bunch of crap if you ask me. Tom Brady was drafted in round six. He must REEEEALLY SUCK.
Good thing no one asked you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read