Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-21-2007   #1
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A Mario Williams Question

Last year Mario Williams was moved around on the Defensive Line, and this year the talk of the coaches is that he will remain at one position, Right Defensive End, throughout the year. This we all know.

In what position was Mario Williams lined up when he was most effective last year?

By effective, I don't just mean the easily measurable statistics like sacks and tackles, but also QB pressures and general disruption to the opposing offenses' play.

I wish I had the means to do this analysis myself but I don't have the games recorded. I would really appreciate it if those that have the games recorded could go back and review his play to determine this and then write their analysis here.
Old 08-21-2007   #2
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Mario Williams Question

I'm on leave this week and have all but the cowboys and browns games to go through. I'll probably go through one from the first quarter of the year, one from the 2nd quarter and two from the 3rd and 4th quarters of the season. This is of course permission from the boss dependant.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #3
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Cool.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2007   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

He was over the opponent's right tackle when he blew up Eli Manning. He was over the team's right tackle when he got to Culpepper on back-to-back plays. He was over the opponent's right tackle when he played the Titans here in Houston and had a couple good plays.

I don't know if that's enough to say for sure, but I only remember him flashing when he was over the opponent's right tackle (sometimes with a TE on him as well).
Old 08-21-2007   #5
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
He was over the opponent's right tackle when he blew up Eli Manning. He was over the team's right tackle when he got to Culpepper on back-to-back plays. He was over the opponent's right tackle when he played the Titans here in Houston and had a couple good plays.

I don't know if that's enough to say for sure, but I only remember him flashing when he was over the opponent's right tackle (sometimes with a TE on him as well).
Yeah I was trying to find video on all of those plays...

I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but I remember it as you do...
Old 08-21-2007   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

When we played the Cowboys, he made a couple of good plays on the right side(over the left tackle) that changed JJ's carries.. a couple ended in loss of yards(even though Mario didn't make the tackle), and there were a couple of no gainers.

When we went against the Jets, he punk'd D'brick from the right side as well.

I've seen Mario's ability to get into the backfield, and I don't doubt his abilities one bit. Even from the tackle position. What I question is is football IQ. He's looking to sack the QB when it's obviously a running situation, and he's chasing the RB when it's 3rd & long.

My Point, I'm a Mario fan, but I don't think it's a matter of where we put him, but him knowing where we want him to go.
Old 08-21-2007   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

That late hit on Eli was against their Left Tackle.
Old 08-21-2007   #8
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That late hit on Eli was against their Left Tackle.
Think he was talking about the actual sack...which was against their RT...

And the play where he threw the the O-lineman into the RB was against their RT...
Old 08-21-2007   #9
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When we played the Cowboys, he made a couple of good plays on the right side(over the left tackle) that changed JJ's carries.. a couple ended in loss of yards(even though Mario didn't make the tackle), and there were a couple of no gainers.

When we went against the Jets, he punk'd D'brick from the right side as well.

I've seen Mario's ability to get into the backfield, and I don't doubt his abilities one bit. Even from the tackle position. What I question is is football IQ. He's looking to sack the QB when it's obviously a running situation, and he's chasing the RB when it's 3rd & long.

My Point, I'm a Mario fan, but I don't think it's a matter of where we put him, but him knowing where we want him to go.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #10
real

Quote:
Ummm....there were plenty of occasions where Mario was rushing the passer on passing situations and just plain couldn't get there...looked like he knew what was going on to me...

There was one play against the cardinals where he did a stunt inside and the RB stepped up and darn near buckled Mario to his knees...

I do admit that he looks confused at times, but I think there were plenty instances in which he was clearly trying to rush the passer but just did a poor job of doing so...I mean, how hard is it to recognize a passing situation ? How hard is it to see the O-lineman pass blocking? It's either one of two things...a draw..or a pass play...I heard the D-lineman get to call their own stunts, and I'm not sure how he is doing this if he's unaware of game situations...

Saying that it's his "football IQ" as the reason why he hasn't shown much is suggesting that there is a quick/easy/understandable fix....I've seen Mario go off as well, but I need to see a little more from the guy....I'm worried about our pass rush, because I just dread the day Anthony Weaver is put in the starting line-up as the other DE...Mario needs to do more...

Last edited by real; 08-21-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-21-2007   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario's skill set is of a strong side DE....the only reason we don't have him plugged in there is because Weaver may be less of a weak side edge rusher than Mario is and we invested a ton of jack in him...and in Mario. It sad, but we are still at the mercy of bad FA signings.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #12
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Mario's skill set is of a strong side DE....the only reason we don't have him plugged in there is because Weaver may be less of a weak side edge rusher than Mario is and we invested a ton of jack in him...and in Mario. It sad, but we are still at the mercy of bad FA signings.
I agree 100%.
Old 08-21-2007   #13
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Ummm....there were plenty of occasions where Mario was rushing the passer on passing situations and just plain couldn't get there...looked like he knew what was going on to me...

There was one play against the cardinals where he did a stunt inside and the RB stepped up and darn near buckled Mario to his knees...

I do admit that he looks confused at times, but I think there were plenty instances in which he was clearly trying to rush the passer but just did a poor job of doing so...I mean, how hard is it to recognize a passing situation ? How hard is it to see the O-lineman pass blocking? It's either one of two things...a draw..or a pass play...I heard the D-lineman get to call their own stunts, and I'm not sure how he is doing this if he's unaware of game situations...

Saying that it's his "football IQ" as the reason why he hasn't shown much is suggesting that there is a quick/easy/understandable fix....I've seen Mario go off as well, but I need to see a little more from the guy....I'm worried about our pass rush, because I just dread the day Anthony Weaver is put in the starting line-up as the other DE...Mario needs to do more...
Yeah i remember that play,
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #14
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
How much is Jason Babin being paid to sit? Is it more or less than Weaver is being paid? If Babin is being paid more then Weaver then some decent reporter should be a little tough with Coach Kubiak and GM Smith, and ask them why they don't play Babin at RDE , move Mario to LDE, and rotate Weaver in off of the bench.
Old 08-21-2007   #15
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

My point to this whole thread was that through analysis we might be able to derive a conclusion as to what position Mario was most productive at last year, and then the next question would be why he was most productive there. Finally, we might be able to present our conclusions in a form of questions to someone like John McClain. I really don't care who takes credit for it. I only want the Texans to put Mario in the position to perform his best, which should also make the entire defense perform their best.
Old 08-21-2007   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

EDIT: The format here is: Name, Year signed through, Base salary, Allocated Bonus, 2007 Cap.

Weaver, Anthony 2010 $2,500,000 $1,206,720 $3,706,720
Williams, Mario 2011* $975,000 $2,406,720 $3,381,720
Johnson, Travis 2011 $435,000 $996,220 $1,431,220
Babin, Jason 2009 $735,503 $691,667 $1,427,170
Zgonina, Jeff 2008 $825,000 $131,720 $956,720
Maddox, Anthony 2007 $510,000 $31,720 $541,720
Kalu, N.D. 2007 $720,000 $46,720 $481,720
Killings, Cedric 2007 $720,000 $46,720 $481,720
Johnson, Thomas 2007 $435,000 $6,720 $441,720
Bulman, Tim 2007 $360,000 $6,720 $366,720
Malone, Alfred 2007 $360,000 $6,720 $366,720
Cochran, Earl 2007 $285,000 $6,720 $291,720

That's the defensive line except for Okoye.

From http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap.html
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
EDIT: The format here is: Name, Year signed through, Base salary, Allocated Bonus, 2007 Cap.

The * on Mario's number...

Quote:
*Note: The Texans will likely exercise a $12 million option bonus on Mario Williams' contract. Per ESPN.com, this will lower his future years' salaries as follows: $975,000 (2007), $1.575 million (2008), $2.3 million (2009) and $3.025 million (2010) and add the 2011 season at a base salary of $3.725 million. Also from the report: "Williams can void the final two years of the deal based on playing time levels and if he and the team reach certain predetermined performance levels, but the Texans then have a right to buy back the voided 2010 and 2011 seasons at a cost of $8.5 million. There are plenty of incentives, like $125,000 in most years for leading the league in sacks, bonuses for honors and playoff victories, and escalators that can raise the base salaries in 2010 and 2011 by $6 million and $9.5 million, respectively."
thanks for the work Keith

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #18
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

And people complain that they overpay Mario Williams? $3.7 Million for Anthony Weaver and he recorded 1 sack last year.
Old 08-22-2007   #19
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Another question that remains unaswered is, is the Texans Defense better with Mario at LDE and Babin at RDE, or Weaver at LDE and Mario at RDE?
Old 08-22-2007   #20
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
Another question that remains unaswered is, is the Texans Defense better with Mario at LDE and Babin at RDE, or Weaver at LDE and Mario at RDE?
I would say that on running dows it is the 2nd option on passing downs it is the first option.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read