Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2007   #1
KJ3

Default The "Choose Your Side On Mario" Thread

just chill, says i. i'll bet we see what we want to see by the end of the year.

i can't believe no one has said anything about that guy from the cardinals who snapped his ankle over. ugh, that was nasty when they showed the trainer forcing it back over to a semi-natural position.
Old 08-20-2007   #2
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The "Choose Your Side On Mario" Thread

I have no side. He is a Texans whom I want to do well and who looks to have the physical ability, but I'm keeping an eye on his motor and am a little nervous that the scouting reports were right on. So I'm a fence rider who will wait and see.
Old 08-20-2007   #3
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

While it makes me nervous to see Mario not playing very welland the Dline in general, I am still not going to start screaming about the end of the world.......yet. Preseason is preseason and I will still not put too much on it period. Regardless of who we are talking about. I definantly want to see more, but I think that will eventually happen.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #4
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I say relax, but for those who are fairly familiar with me, I'm always in relax mode. I saw some things i like, some things i dislike, hopefully it's more of the 1st one i mentioned.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I have no side. He is a Texans whom I want to do well and who looks to have the physical ability, but I'm keeping an eye on his motor and am a little nervous that the scouting reports were right on. So I'm a fence rider who will wait and see.
I think we should focus on two separate things on Mario Williams. What is his responsibility and what was McNairs.

1. Mario is responsible for getting to the QB. He has not this preseason and did to certain degree (4 1/2) 47 tackles last season. He was not signed to stop the run or to be pushed out of play. If he can not get to the QB, he should be tying up more than one blocker. In my opinion, he gets a 'C' for last season and an incomplete so far this preseason. So far, he projects as an average DE.

2. McNair's: Mr. McNair switched to Mario to be #1 pick of first round. No one else had him rated that high. What was Mario supposed to say, "Uh, no thanks." to all the money?

My question is "What happens by game three of regular season if Mario is playing the same? What is plan B or is there a plan B?"
Old 08-20-2007   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Plans A, B, C, and D are don't spend anymore first round picks on the D-line. There are a few other positions that matter.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #7
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

I play for the patience team.
Old 08-20-2007   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I'm not seeing enough of the things that make me optimistic, but I'm no Chicken Little on the matter, either. It takes time, and because of Carr, Bush, and VY, fans here aren't willing to give it time. That's unrealistic, and those that are too impatient are just setting themselves up for disappointment.

Nonetheless, Mario has to show something. Last year, he flashed at times. The foot kept him from doing so as frequently as we would have liked, but he had some big plays vs. the Dolphins, Tacks, and Giants, just off the top of my head. If he can improve upon that this year, I won't worry. Preseason means nothing.
Old 08-20-2007   #9
real

side? lol...

How can you be a Texan fan and NOT want Mario to succeed ?
Old 08-20-2007   #10
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
side? lol...

How can you be a Texan fan and NOT want Mario to succeed ?
b/c you have other agendas. **coughs** RB & **coughs** VY.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #11
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
I play for the patience team.
Ditto.

Go Texans!

By the way Saturdays game was exciting.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #12
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shadows View Post
Ditto.

Go Texans!

By the way Saturdays game was exciting.

Shaub's pocket presence is very refreshing. His head's on a swivel all the time and he's not afraid to spread the ball out. Jones and Daniels and even Walter have looked pretty good and I have serious doubts that they'd look as good as they have with Carr behind center.

When the defense starts mixing up blitzes and stunts rather than a straight-up 4 man rush, I think the defensive line will start looking better than they have.
Old 08-20-2007   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Mr. McNair switched to Mario to be #1 pick of first round. No one else had him rated that high.
That is not correct. There was a report on Sporting News radio just after the draft that said as many as 7 teams had Mario atop their draft board. Bill Parcells and the Eagles GM Tom Heckert are on record that Mario was #1 on their boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
What was Mario supposed to say, "Uh, no thanks." to all the money?
Isn't that what Reggie Bush said?
Old 08-20-2007   #14
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

What MW has to accomplish to be worthy of where he was taken and the guys we passed on is pretty high and unfair. If he was a 10-11 sacks a year guy he still would not been worth the pick. The scary thing is that he is not even a 10-11 sack a year guy but maybe a 7 sack a year guy at best.

That type of production will earn him the label of being a bust and deservedly so. He is the worst #1 pick since Aundray Bruce.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #15
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
What MW has to accomplish to be worthy of where he was taken and the guys we passed on is pretty high and unfair. If he was a 10-11 sacks a year guy he still would not been worth the pick. The scary thing is that he is not even a 10-11 sack a year guy but maybe a 7 sack a year guy at best.

That type of production will earn him the label of being a bust and deservedly so. He is the worst #1 pick since Aundray Bruce.
Well, you have no idea what kind of production he will have in the future, and you are jumping the gun by saying hew is the worst #1 pick since A. Bruce. How do you know if he is or is not a 10-11 sack sack guy? We don't know any of that stuff yet. Sure we can all guess by what little we have seen this PRESEASON but again stop jumping the gun here. At least(very least) reserve this kind of talk til the regular season.

And I would like an explanation from you that can tell me why you know exactly the kind of sack production Mario will have? As far as I am concerned if you can't do that your statement is silly. For the record I think you statement is already silly.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

The dynamic duo, Marcus Stroud & John Henderson who play on the inside for the Jags 4-3 and are both in the 6-6 to 6-7 range, are considered among the best if not the best inside combo in the league and obviously aren't too tall to be effective DTs.
So Mario's height shouldn't necessarily eliminate him from being considered at that position if he's just not going to be a fit playing on the edge at DE in the Texans 4-3 ? Afterall its looking more and more like his long-suit is rushing defense and not rushing the passer ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm on the side of 'I wish he would play well'.

I've seen a lot of people say wait a year to say start commenting about a players play...wait for 3 years, wait, wait, wait....well, some of you guys may need to wait and let the world form an opinion before you form yours, but the NFL season is a very short sports season and there are only a few games...each game shows me something and I'll judge players as I see them play. Last year Mario came out of the gate vs the Eagles and had a lackluster perfomance.....everyone said, wait! It's too early! Well, it isn't too early to see if he wins any individual battles as the first overall pick in a historic draft loaded with difference makers.

This year is starting out exactly like last year for Mario...So far I see no improvement, no new rush moves....but I did hear him say he wants to break the sack record. I mean, come on....you can't even whip the mediocre journeyman Mike Gandy. I'd like to see him at least talk realistically....it wouldn't sound so out of touch with reality.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #18
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

*cheers for Vinny's voice of reason*
Old 08-20-2007   #19
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 27 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer

I am in the camp of wait and see. Seemingly all of the d-line is struggling at breaking blocks and getting pressure. But of course with Mario being the #1 pick, we expect alot more from him. Seeing him getting blocked by one guy and him not getting near the QB is frustrating. Not because I hate Mario, but because he seems like a good guy and I want to see him doing well. Also, it seems that Mario doing well brings all kinds of the wrong attention to the team. I am giving him until the end of next season. If we don't see something by year 3, then I think we know we just got 'another guy' and not a defensive force.

With all that said, it looked like Mario was getting held in the Cardinals game whenever he did get some penetration.
dskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
That is not correct. There was a report on Sporting News radio just after the draft that said as many as 7 teams had Mario atop their draft board. Bill Parcells and the Eagles GM Tom Heckert are on record that Mario was #1 on their boards.

Isn't that what Reggie Bush said?
After the draft, we heard that other treams had Mario rated high on their boards but I recall no one on tv, radio or news print focusing on Mario in the top 3-4 picks.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read