Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2007   #21
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 168713 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How Many Roster Spots per Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Exactly! Thanks for the assist. Besides that management would have to say they made a mistake on another player. Not happening.
Didn't Casserly make the deal for Weaver? If so, Smith won't lose face. He's correcting the bad deals from the previous front office.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #22
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
By George, I think he's got it.

And we "ate" DC's cap hit to upgrade the QB spot. If we can upgrade the safety spot significantly, Smithiak will take the cap hit.

Sorry Jason, we've seen you have a great heart, and you brought our team some fabulous press with that down pmt for a jersey thing, but we want to win. You can play on special teams.
I'm not a numbers cruncher, but if IRC, they can't afford to take a 4.8 million cap hit. They are bare bones, vet minumuns and street free agents untill Febuary '08.
Old 08-21-2007   #23
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan

5 WRs (AJ, KW, JJ, AD, JM)
4 Tackles - (ES, EW, KB, JB)
4 Guards - (CP, FW, KS, DH)
2 Centers - (MF, SM)
4 TE's - (OD, MB, JP, BP[longsnapper])
3 QB's - (MS, SR, JZ)
3 RB's - (AG, RD, SG)
2 FB's - (VL, JA)
4 DE's - (AW, MW, NK, JB)
4 DT's - (AO, AM, TJ-1, JZ?)
6 LB's - (DR, DC, MG, CA, SB, ZD)
4 CB's - (DR, PF, JF, FB)
4 S's - (JS, CCB, VH, BM)
And Turk and Brown as kickers.

we stocked up incase the hurricane hit

PS. Yall wanna mess lets mess
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #24
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 168713 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I'm not a numbers cruncher, but if IRC, they can't afford to take a 4.8 million cap hit. They are bare bones, vet minumuns and street free agents untill Febuary '08.
Someone will have to explain again how this works. How is the cap hit different if we cut him? Aren't we paying Weaver anyway? So if he's already on the payroll, isn't that against the cap?? Why would it cost MORE money to cut him?
Old 08-21-2007   #25
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Someone will have to explain again how this works. How is the cap hit different if we cut him? Aren't we paying Weaver anyway? So if he's already on the payroll, isn't that against the cap?? Why would it cost MORE money to cut him?
When a team cuts a player it accelerates his deferred signing bonus. In otherwords, when the player was signed he was given a signing bonus that was to be paid over the length of his contract, and when he is cut all of the remaining unpaid signing bonus money must be paid out. Now if I remember correctly, the league rules allow it to be spread out over a 2 year period consisting of the year he is cut plus the following year to help teams deal with the burden of a large salary cap hit, since this accelerated payout counts against the team's salary cap.
Old 08-21-2007   #26
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonFan View Post
5 WRs (AJ, KW, JJ, AD, JM)
4 Tackles - (ES, EW, KB, JB)
4 Guards - (CP, FW, KS, DH)
2 Centers - (MF, SM)
4 TE's - (OD, MB, JP, BP[longsnapper])
3 QB's - (MS, SR, JZ)
3 RB's - (AG, RD, SG)
2 FB's - (VL, JA)
4 DE's - (AW, MW, NK, JB)
4 DT's - (AO, AM, TJ-1, JZ?)
6 LB's - (DR, DC, MG, CA, SB, ZD)
4 CB's - (DR, PF, JF, FB)
4 S's - (JS, CCB, VH, BM)
And Turk and Brown as kickers.

we stocked up incase the hurricane hit
Reasonable distribution, except that I believe we will keep 6 WR's and only 2 active QB's. If Zabransky plays well enough in the next 2 preseasons to worry the Texans that he will not pass waivers for PS, then I predict a mysterious injury to his little finger or butt spasms that will land him on PUP.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #27
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
When a team cuts a player it accelerates his deferred signing bonus. In otherwords, when the player was signed he was given a signing bonus that was to be paid over the length of his contract, and when he is cut all of the remaining unpaid signing bonus money must be paid out. Now if I remember correctly, the league rules allow it to be spread out over a 2 year period consisting of the year he is cut plus the following year to help teams deal with the burden of a large salary cap hit, since this accelerated payout counts against the team's salary cap.
There is only a certain time period, starting June 1st and ending some time around the start of the new league year or start of the regular season (sorry can't remember which--aj would know probably) when the two year option is available.

ObsiWan: To illustrate using this case, Weaver has a base salary of $2.5 mil this year. The prorated amount of his signing bonus is a little over $1.2 mil so his cap if he is on the team this year is $3.7 mil. He has 4 years of prorated signing bonus which have not been accounted for on the cap at this point so if he were cut or traded, the Texans would have to put it on the cap so would have to account for $4.8 mil. They would save real dollars to get rid of him but in terms of cap space it would cost them an extra 900k to get rid of him and they would have a total of $4.8 mil in dead money on the cap.
Old 08-22-2007   #28
ObsiWan
Contributor

You guys might want to revise your roster predictions. Kubiak was asked about who might be kept at RB and TE...
(from http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=3529)

Quote:
(on which running backs and fullbacks will make the roster ) “We’re really in a big battle for a third at the running back position. And we may keep more, depending on how that goes. At fullback, I’ve been on teams that I’ve kept one and counted on a back-up tight end to be the other fullback. We really like what (Jon) Abbate has done. Jameel (Cook) is back this and he looks good. We’ll play him hard these last two weeks and see how he does. And those are tough decisions, and as always it comes down to how much they do on special teams.”

(on the how many tight ends he will carry ) “I’ve carried four most of the time with most of the teams I’ve been with. But I’ve seen it done with three. If you are doing it with three, you’ll probably definitely have two fullbacks here. And sometimes maybe six back. You know, it’s funny, those number, you play with them every day- I sit up on my board and play with those numbers and we talk about this and if we pull one from here, we can add one to here. It’s like a chess match. The things that always comes into to play, and I know that I’m killing you saying this, it’s just what they do for Joe (Marciano).”
Sounds like we'll definitely have four TEs and maybe two FBs. Also, Cook has this game and the next to beat out Abbate. Not sure where that leaves Pass... Kubiak also hinted that keeping Gado and Lundy isn't out of the question.
Old 08-22-2007   #29
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You guys might want to revise your roster predictions. Kubiak was asked about who might be kept at RB and TE...
(from http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=3529)

Sounds like we'll definitely have four TEs and maybe two FBs. Also, Cook has this game and the next to beat out Abbate. Not sure where that leaves Pass... Kubiak also hinted that keeping Gado and Lundy isn't out of the question.
4 TE including the LS???
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #30
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
4 TE including the LS???
I don't think he was counting Pittman in that. I don't know why, I just got that feeling.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #31
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
4 TE including the LS???
Kubiak was asked about that also...
Quote:

(on the competition at long snapper) “We looked at (Joel) Dreessen and we looked at (Jeff) Zgonina. If you have a player that plays other spots and long snaps for you that gives a lot on your team, but also is not going to hurt you special teams by going with that other snapper. I guess I’m answering that question by saying that (Bryan) Pittman’s done a great job, and it looks like he’s going to be out snapper.”
that last sentence doesn't make any sense unless you assume that "out" was a typo and it should read, "...it looks like he's going to be our snapper."

If that's the case, we'll have four TEs and Pittman as the LS.
Old 08-22-2007   #32
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess TE's play a big part in specials teams so I can understand that.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #33
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the roster the way I think it may end up:

6 WR (AJ, JJ, KW, AD, JM, BJ?)
3 G (CP, FW, KS)
4 T (ES, EW, JB, SJ/BF?)
3 C (SM, MF, CW)
3 TE (OD, JP, MB)
2 QB (MS, SR)
4 RB (AG, RD, SG, WL)
2 FB (VL, JA/JC?)

5 DE (MW, AW, NK, JB, EC)
4 DT (AO, AM, TJ, JZ)
6 LB (DR, MG, DC, CA, SB, ZD)
4 CB (DR, DF, JF, FB)
4 S (JS, CB, VH, BH)

1 K (KB)
1 P (MT)
1 LS (BP)

Practice Squad (C. Adams, D. Anderson, J, Zabransky, V. DeGrate, B. Mitchell, M. Brisiel, J. Walker)

PUP (C. Spencer)

I think they will only carry 2 QB's and try to get JZ on the practice squad. It's a risk, but nobody drafted the guy, so he might slip through. Also, I think they may go with 4 OT's instead of the normal 3. Salaam is old, Winston is young, and Black is a ? imo, and personally, I don't think Spencer will be back this year. I'm hoping Frye will play these last 2 PS games, and play well enough they decide keep him. If not, then S. Jackson will have to do and they can try to slip Frye on the practice squad.

On Defense, they may go with 5 DT's since J. Zgonina is pretty old (though he is in great shape) and I think Malone would be the 5th DT. If they go with 5 DT's they may cut one of the DE's (probably Cochran) or cut at some other position.

Anyway, that's my take on the roster at this time. Things could change between now and the start of the RS. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #34
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Double post ss mods.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 08-27-2007 at 02:40 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #35
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
This is the roster the way I think it may end up:

6 WR (AJ, JJ, KW, AD, JM, BJ?)
3 G (CP, FW, KS)
4 T (ES, EW, JB, SJ/BF?)
3 C (SM, MF, CW)
3 TE (OD, JP, MB)
2 QB (MS, SR)
4 RB (AG, RD, SG, WL)
2 FB (VL, JA/JC?)

5 DE (MW, AW, NK, JB, EC)
4 DT (AO, AM, TJ, JZ)
6 LB (DR, MG, DC, CA, SB, ZD)
4 CB (DR, DF, JF, FB)
4 S (JS, CB, VH, BH)

1 K (KB)
1 P (MT)
1 LS (BP)

Practice Squad (C. Adams, D. Anderson, J, Zabransky, V. DeGrate, B. Mitchell, M. Brisiel, J. Walker)

PUP (C. Spencer)

I think they will only carry 2 QB's and try to get JZ on the practice squad. It's a risk, but nobody drafted the guy, so he might slip through. Also, I think they may go with 4 OT's instead of the normal 3. Salaam is old, Winston is young, and Black is a ? imo, and personally, I don't think Spencer will be back this year. I'm hoping Frye will play these last 2 PS games, and play well enough they decide keep him. If not, then S. Jackson will have to do and they can try to slip Frye on the practice squad.

On Defense, they may go with 5 DT's since J. Zgonina is pretty old (though he is in great shape) and I think Malone would be the 5th DT. If they go with 5 DT's they may cut one of the DE's (probably Cochran) or cut at some other position.

Anyway, that's my take on the roster at this time. Things could change between now and the start of the RS. JMHO!

I stand to be corrected, and I ain't reading the monster that is the CBA to find out, but David Anderson sinks or swims. He either earns the roster spot or they cut him. And believe me, I feel your pain.

Cuts: http://www.gbnreport.com/cutdownday.htm

any one see another sight with a comprehensive list please post it. I think we have one more to go. I wouldn't be surpeised if they make a couple tuesday to get a head of the curve and give guys a shot at hooking up with someone else.

And this is a bump.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 08-27-2007 at 02:41 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read