Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How Many Roster Spots per Position

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
I started thinking about Kubiak's comment that we're going to have 5 or possibly 6 WR's and then I started thinking about the 53 man roster. I put together a quick list of who I'd keep offhand. We're going to be cutting some good players no matter what happens.

This is premature but I made up a roster with:

5 WRs (AJ, KW, JJ, AD, JM)
4 Tackles - (ES, EW, KB, JB)
4 Guards - (CP, FW, KS, DH)
2 Centers - (MF, SM)
4 TE's - (OD, MB, JP, BP[longsnapper])
3 QB's - (MS, SR, JZ)
3 RB's - (AG, RD, SG)
2 FB's - (VL, JA)
4 DE's - (AW, MW, NK, JB)
4 DT's - (AO, AM, TJ-1, JZ?)
6 LB's - (DR, DC, MG, CA, SB, ZD)
4 CB's - (DR, PF, JF, FB)
4 S's - (JS, CCB, VH, BM)
And Turk and Brown as kickers.

That's 51 roster spots and it doesn't include: Brandon Harrison, Wali Lundy, Keenan McCardell, Bethel Johnson, Chris White, Patrick Pass, Cochran, Malone, Killings, TJ-2, Shantee Orr, Tyrone Poole, Dexter Wynn, Charles Spencer, Jameel Cook, Darius Walker, or Brandon Frye.

Ouch?

I started thinking about Kubiak's comment that we're going to have 5 or possibly 6 WR's and then I started thinking about the 53 man roster. I put together a quick list of who I'd keep offhand. We're going to be cutting some good players no matter what happens.

2 Centers - (MF, SM)
3 QB's - (MS, SR, JZ)
3 RB's - (AG, RD, SG)
2 FB's - (VL, JA)

That's 51 roster spots and it doesn't include: Brandon Harrison, Wali Lundy, Keenan McCardell, Bethel Johnson, Chris White, Patrick Pass, Cochran, Malone, Killings, TJ-2, Shantee Orr, Tyrone Poole, Dexter Wynn, Charles Spencer, Jameel Cook, Darius Walker, or Brandon Frye.

Ouch?

I like it. Maybe McCardell over Davis. And we will have to cut someone to make room for Spencer at week 7. And, while I am pulling for Abbate, I think Pass is a better FB. I hope I am wrong though.

We will not carry three QB's on the roster. This is how I see it happening...

Roster - QB - Schaub, Rosenfels

Practice Squad - QB - Zabransky

I foresee Van Pelt and Porter getting the boot this year.

We will not carry three QB's on the roster. This is how I see it happening...

Roster - QB - Schaub, Rosenfels

Practice Squad - QB - Zabransky

I foresee Van Pelt and Porter getting the boot this year.

I kept Zabransky on the roster because I'm not sure he clears waivers and I don't know if they're going to risk losing him.

Also, I put Abbate on but I haven't heard about his injury from yesterday. He might be out. Which means Pass gets on. Pass might get on the roster any way.

I'm not sure I have the right number of roster spots per position.

I kept Zabransky on the roster because I'm not sure he clears waivers and I don't know if they're going to risk losing him.

Also, I put Abbate on but I haven't heard about his injury from yesterday. He might be out. Which means Pass gets on. Pass might get on the roster any way.

I'm not sure I have the right number of roster spots per position.

I don't think you're far off with your numbers.

I'm thinking Zabransky, Abbate, Harrison, and Frye go to the practice squad. Z didn't really show too much during his cameo in AZ so maybe he makes it thru waivers.

I think we keep both McCardell and Davis. JM makes the team as a double-duty guy.

I don't know about Drew Hogdgon making it as a guard. And I right now I like McKinney starting and Chris White as the backup. But Flanagan is Sherm's boy, so you're probably right about him staying.

spencer and cook are on the pup list, doesn't that mean they don't count against your 53 man roster?

and hey, if we're getting to the point that we have to start cutting decent players then kubiak and smith are following through with some of their promises. i've heard kubiak mention that a number of times...

If we start the season with them PUP'd, then we have to make the decision on whether to IR them or put them on the roster and cut someone else around week 7. I expect Spencer to start the season PUP'd. I think Cook is off the PUP list at this point.

Cook was taken off the PUP list last week I believe. He's taking snaps but isn't in football shape yet.

***waits for the obligatory, "when was he EVER in football shape" remark***

Cook was taken off the PUP list last week I believe. He's taking snaps but isn't in football shape yet.

he was in football shape. he just couldnt hold onto that football shape.

2 Centers - (MF, SM)
3 QB's - (MS, SR, JZ)
3 RB's - (AG, RD, SG)
2 FB's - (VL, JA)

Ouch?

Won't nit pick with you PN. I think Chriss White has played well enough to warrent consideration, especailly with the age and injury history of our two centers for a spot.

Charles Spencer is protected untill Mid October by the pup list. Also anyone who is currently hurt. They're waiting on Brandon Harrison. I doubt he gets exposed. We have no saftey currently above five ten. And you believe anything you can believe Herm Edwards has already figgured that out and looking for ways to expoilt that. Walker and Frye have a shot to go to the PS. Although, as I posted befor, if they expose Frye they will loose him.

All in all prety fair list PN.

Trade Anthony Weaver for Wesley and carry Cochran as the fourth DE

51 players mentioned on list leaves two more for NFL roster + 5 players for P.S. + any injured players such as Spencer. It is going to hard times for the "turk" this season. But that should mean we are a better team.

Yep and he is runnin out of time. I like the guy. He's made some bo bos. But I like him. He's just running out of time.

Pretty good list, PN.

I think it's usually 9 o-linemen, 9 d-linemen, 5 CBs or some combination of 9 DBs.

Usually it is only nine . But they fooled me last year and kept ten. And....if Mario is in the tank....do you keep ten d-lineman. I truly don't know what they are going to do. I thought it was prety silly of Lance Z to post his six WRs last week. I'm glad I'm not doing the hacking. I count eight guys I'd like to keep.

Trade Anthony Weaver for Wesley and carry Cochran as the fourth DE

By George, I think he's got it.

And we "ate" DC's cap hit to upgrade the QB spot. If we can upgrade the safety spot significantly, Smithiak will take the cap hit.

Sorry Jason, we've seen you have a great heart, and you brought our team some fabulous press with that down pmt for a jersey thing, but we want to win. You can play on special teams.

Exactly! Thanks for the assist. Besides that management would have to say they made a mistake on another player. Not happening.

Didn't Casserly make the deal for Weaver? If so, Smith won't lose face. He's correcting the bad deals from the previous front office.

By George, I think he's got it.

And we "ate" DC's cap hit to upgrade the QB spot. If we can upgrade the safety spot significantly, Smithiak will take the cap hit.

Sorry Jason, we've seen you have a great heart, and you brought our team some fabulous press with that down pmt for a jersey thing, but we want to win. You can play on special teams.

I'm not a numbers cruncher, but if IRC, they can't afford to take a 4.8 million cap hit. They are bare bones, vet minumuns and street free agents untill Febuary '08.

2 Centers - (MF, SM)
3 QB's - (MS, SR, JZ)
3 RB's - (AG, RD, SG)
2 FB's - (VL, JA)

we stocked up incase the hurricane hit :bowser:

I'm not a numbers cruncher, but if IRC, they can't afford to take a 4.8 million cap hit. They are bare bones, vet minumuns and street free agents untill Febuary '08.
Someone will have to explain again how this works. How is the cap hit different if we cut him? Aren't we paying Weaver anyway? So if he's already on the payroll, isn't that against the cap?? Why would it cost MORE money to cut him?

Someone will have to explain again how this works. How is the cap hit different if we cut him? Aren't we paying Weaver anyway? So if he's already on the payroll, isn't that against the cap?? Why would it cost MORE money to cut him?

When a team cuts a player it accelerates his deferred signing bonus. In otherwords, when the player was signed he was given a signing bonus that was to be paid over the length of his contract, and when he is cut all of the remaining unpaid signing bonus money must be paid out. Now if I remember correctly, the league rules allow it to be spread out over a 2 year period consisting of the year he is cut plus the following year to help teams deal with the burden of a large salary cap hit, since this accelerated payout counts against the team's salary cap.

2 Centers - (MF, SM)
3 QB's - (MS, SR, JZ)
3 RB's - (AG, RD, SG)
2 FB's - (VL, JA)

we stocked up incase the hurricane hit :bowser:

Reasonable distribution, except that I believe we will keep 6 WR's and only 2 active QB's. If Zabransky plays well enough in the next 2 preseasons to worry the Texans that he will not pass waivers for PS, then I predict a mysterious injury to his little finger or butt spasms that will land him on PUP.:secret:

When a team cuts a player it accelerates his deferred signing bonus. In otherwords, when the player was signed he was given a signing bonus that was to be paid over the length of his contract, and when he is cut all of the remaining unpaid signing bonus money must be paid out. Now if I remember correctly, the league rules allow it to be spread out over a 2 year period consisting of the year he is cut plus the following year to help teams deal with the burden of a large salary cap hit, since this accelerated payout counts against the team's salary cap.

There is only a certain time period, starting June 1st and ending some time around the start of the new league year or start of the regular season (sorry can't remember which--aj would know probably) when the two year option is available.

ObsiWan: To illustrate using this case, Weaver has a base salary of $2.5 mil this year. The prorated amount of his signing bonus is a little over $1.2 mil so his cap if he is on the team this year is $3.7 mil. He has 4 years of prorated signing bonus which have not been accounted for on the cap at this point so if he were cut or traded, the Texans would have to put it on the cap so would have to account for $4.8 mil. They would save real dollars to get rid of him but in terms of cap space it would cost them an extra 900k to get rid of him and they would have a total of $4.8 mil in dead money on the cap.

You guys might want to revise your roster predictions. Kubiak was asked about who might be kept at RB and TE...
(from http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=3529)

(on which running backs and fullbacks will make the roster ) “We’re really in a big battle for a third at the running back position. And we may keep more, depending on how that goes. At fullback, I’ve been on teams that I’ve kept one and counted on a back-up tight end to be the other fullback. We really like what (Jon) Abbate has done. Jameel (Cook) is back this and he looks good. We’ll play him hard these last two weeks and see how he does. And those are tough decisions, and as always it comes down to how much they do on special teams.”

(on the how many tight ends he will carry ) “I’ve carried four most of the time with most of the teams I’ve been with. But I’ve seen it done with three. If you are doing it with three, you’ll probably definitely have two fullbacks here. And sometimes maybe six back. You know, it’s funny, those number, you play with them every day- I sit up on my board and play with those numbers and we talk about this and if we pull one from here, we can add one to here. It’s like a chess match. The things that always comes into to play, and I know that I’m killing you saying this, it’s just what they do for Joe (Marciano).”

Sounds like we'll definitely have four TEs and maybe two FBs. Also, Cook has this game and the next to beat out Abbate. Not sure where that leaves Pass... Kubiak also hinted that keeping Gado and Lundy isn't out of the question.

You guys might want to revise your roster predictions. Kubiak was asked about who might be kept at RB and TE...
(from http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=3529)

Sounds like we'll definitely have four TEs and maybe two FBs. Also, Cook has this game and the next to beat out Abbate. Not sure where that leaves Pass... Kubiak also hinted that keeping Gado and Lundy isn't out of the question.

4 TE including the LS???

4 TE including the LS???

Kubiak was asked about that also...
(on the competition at long snapper) “We looked at (Joel) Dreessen and we looked at (Jeff) Zgonina. If you have a player that plays other spots and long snaps for you that gives a lot on your team, but also is not going to hurt you special teams by going with that other snapper. I guess I’m answering that question by saying that (Bryan) Pittman’s done a great job, and it looks like he’s going to be out snapper.”

that last sentence doesn't make any sense unless you assume that "out" was a typo and it should read, "...it looks like he's going to be our snapper."

If that's the case, we'll have four TEs and Pittman as the LS.

This is the roster the way I think it may end up:

6 WR (AJ, JJ, KW, AD, JM, BJ?)
3 G (CP, FW, KS)
4 T (ES, EW, JB, SJ/BF?)
3 C (SM, MF, CW)
3 TE (OD, JP, MB)
2 QB (MS, SR)
4 RB (AG, RD, SG, WL)
2 FB (VL, JA/JC?)

5 DE (MW, AW, NK, JB, EC)
4 DT (AO, AM, TJ, JZ)
6 LB (DR, MG, DC, CA, SB, ZD)
4 CB (DR, DF, JF, FB)
4 S (JS, CB, VH, BH)

1 K (KB)
1 P (MT)
1 LS (BP)

Practice Squad (C. Adams, D. Anderson, J, Zabransky, V. DeGrate, B. Mitchell, M. Brisiel, J. Walker)

PUP (C. Spencer)

I think they will only carry 2 QB's and try to get JZ on the practice squad. It's a risk, but nobody drafted the guy, so he might slip through. Also, I think they may go with 4 OT's instead of the normal 3. Salaam is old, Winston is young, and Black is a ? imo, and personally, I don't think Spencer will be back this year. I'm hoping Frye will play these last 2 PS games, and play well enough they decide keep him. If not, then S. Jackson will have to do and they can try to slip Frye on the practice squad.

On Defense, they may go with 5 DT's since J. Zgonina is pretty old (though he is in great shape) and I think Malone would be the 5th DT. If they go with 5 DT's they may cut one of the DE's (probably Cochran) or cut at some other position.

Anyway, that's my take on the roster at this time. Things could change between now and the start of the RS. JMHO! :texflag:

This is the roster the way I think it may end up:

6 WR (AJ, JJ, KW, AD, JM, BJ?)
3 G (CP, FW, KS)
4 T (ES, EW, JB, SJ/BF?)
3 C (SM, MF, CW)
3 TE (OD, JP, MB)
2 QB (MS, SR)
4 RB (AG, RD, SG, WL)
2 FB (VL, JA/JC?)

5 DE (MW, AW, NK, JB, EC)
4 DT (AO, AM, TJ, JZ)
6 LB (DR, MG, DC, CA, SB, ZD)
4 CB (DR, DF, JF, FB)
4 S (JS, CB, VH, BH)

1 K (KB)
1 P (MT)
1 LS (BP)

Practice Squad (C. Adams, D. Anderson, J, Zabransky, V. DeGrate, B. Mitchell, M. Brisiel, J. Walker)

PUP (C. Spencer)

I think they will only carry 2 QB's and try to get JZ on the practice squad. It's a risk, but nobody drafted the guy, so he might slip through. Also, I think they may go with 4 OT's instead of the normal 3. Salaam is old, Winston is young, and Black is a ? imo, and personally, I don't think Spencer will be back this year. I'm hoping Frye will play these last 2 PS games, and play well enough they decide keep him. If not, then S. Jackson will have to do and they can try to slip Frye on the practice squad.

On Defense, they may go with 5 DT's since J. Zgonina is pretty old (though he is in great shape) and I think Malone would be the 5th DT. If they go with 5 DT's they may cut one of the DE's (probably Cochran) or cut at some other position.

Anyway, that's my take on the roster at this time. Things could change between now and the start of the RS. JMHO! :texflag:

I stand to be corrected, and I ain't reading the monster that is the CBA to find out, but David Anderson sinks or swims. He either earns the roster spot or they cut him. And believe me, I feel your pain.

Cuts: http://www.gbnreport.com/cutdownday.htm

any one see another sight with a comprehensive list please post it. I think we have one more to go. I wouldn't be surpeised if they make a couple tuesday to get a head of the curve and give guys a shot at hooking up with someone else.

And this is a bump.

Back