Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-19-2007   #1
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How Many Roster Spots per Position

I started thinking about Kubiak's comment that we're going to have 5 or possibly 6 WR's and then I started thinking about the 53 man roster. I put together a quick list of who I'd keep offhand. We're going to be cutting some good players no matter what happens.

This is premature but I made up a roster with:

5 WRs (AJ, KW, JJ, AD, JM)
4 Tackles - (ES, EW, KB, JB)
4 Guards - (CP, FW, KS, DH)
2 Centers - (MF, SM)
4 TE's - (OD, MB, JP, BP[longsnapper])
3 QB's - (MS, SR, JZ)
3 RB's - (AG, RD, SG)
2 FB's - (VL, JA)
4 DE's - (AW, MW, NK, JB)
4 DT's - (AO, AM, TJ-1, JZ?)
6 LB's - (DR, DC, MG, CA, SB, ZD)
4 CB's - (DR, PF, JF, FB)
4 S's - (JS, CCB, VH, BM)
And Turk and Brown as kickers.

That's 51 roster spots and it doesn't include: Brandon Harrison, Wali Lundy, Keenan McCardell, Bethel Johnson, Chris White, Patrick Pass, Cochran, Malone, Killings, TJ-2, Shantee Orr, Tyrone Poole, Dexter Wynn, Charles Spencer, Jameel Cook, Darius Walker, or Brandon Frye.

Ouch?
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #2
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How Many Roster Spots per Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I started thinking about Kubiak's comment that we're going to have 5 or possibly 6 WR's and then I started thinking about the 53 man roster. I put together a quick list of who I'd keep offhand. We're going to be cutting some good players no matter what happens.

2 Centers - (MF, SM)
3 QB's - (MS, SR, JZ)
3 RB's - (AG, RD, SG)
2 FB's - (VL, JA)

That's 51 roster spots and it doesn't include: Brandon Harrison, Wali Lundy, Keenan McCardell, Bethel Johnson, Chris White, Patrick Pass, Cochran, Malone, Killings, TJ-2, Shantee Orr, Tyrone Poole, Dexter Wynn, Charles Spencer, Jameel Cook, Darius Walker, or Brandon Frye.

Ouch?
I like it. Maybe McCardell over Davis. And we will have to cut someone to make room for Spencer at week 7. And, while I am pulling for Abbate, I think Pass is a better FB. I hope I am wrong though.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #3
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

We will not carry three QB's on the roster. This is how I see it happening...

Roster - QB - Schaub, Rosenfels

Practice Squad - QB - Zabransky

I foresee Van Pelt and Porter getting the boot this year.
TexansLucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
We will not carry three QB's on the roster. This is how I see it happening...

Roster - QB - Schaub, Rosenfels

Practice Squad - QB - Zabransky

I foresee Van Pelt and Porter getting the boot this year.
I kept Zabransky on the roster because I'm not sure he clears waivers and I don't know if they're going to risk losing him.

Also, I put Abbate on but I haven't heard about his injury from yesterday. He might be out. Which means Pass gets on. Pass might get on the roster any way.

I'm not sure I have the right number of roster spots per position.
Old 08-19-2007   #5
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I kept Zabransky on the roster because I'm not sure he clears waivers and I don't know if they're going to risk losing him.

Also, I put Abbate on but I haven't heard about his injury from yesterday. He might be out. Which means Pass gets on. Pass might get on the roster any way.

I'm not sure I have the right number of roster spots per position.
I don't think you're far off with your numbers.

I'm thinking Zabransky, Abbate, Harrison, and Frye go to the practice squad. Z didn't really show too much during his cameo in AZ so maybe he makes it thru waivers.

I think we keep both McCardell and Davis. JM makes the team as a double-duty guy.

I don't know about Drew Hogdgon making it as a guard. And I right now I like McKinney starting and Chris White as the backup. But Flanagan is Sherm's boy, so you're probably right about him staying.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
spencer and cook are on the pup list, doesn't that mean they don't count against your 53 man roster?

and hey, if we're getting to the point that we have to start cutting decent players then kubiak and smith are following through with some of their promises. i've heard kubiak mention that a number of times...
If we start the season with them PUP'd, then we have to make the decision on whether to IR them or put them on the roster and cut someone else around week 7. I expect Spencer to start the season PUP'd. I think Cook is off the PUP list at this point.
Old 08-19-2007   #7
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Cook was taken off the PUP list last week I believe. He's taking snaps but isn't in football shape yet.

***waits for the obligatory, "when was he EVER in football shape" remark***
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2007   #8
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Cook was taken off the PUP list last week I believe. He's taking snaps but isn't in football shape yet.

he was in football shape. he just couldnt hold onto that football shape.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Someone(s) on the left over list may be trade bait for KC safety Greg Wesley.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #10
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Pretty good list, PN.

I think it's usually 9 o-linemen, 9 d-linemen, 5 CBs or some combination of 9 DBs.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

2 Centers - (MF, SM)
3 QB's - (MS, SR, JZ)
3 RB's - (AG, RD, SG)
2 FB's - (VL, JA)

Ouch?

Won't nit pick with you PN. I think Chriss White has played well enough to warrent consideration, especailly with the age and injury history of our two centers for a spot.

Charles Spencer is protected untill Mid October by the pup list. Also anyone who is currently hurt. They're waiting on Brandon Harrison. I doubt he gets exposed. We have no saftey currently above five ten. And you believe anything you can believe Herm Edwards has already figgured that out and looking for ways to expoilt that. Walker and Frye have a shot to go to the PS. Although, as I posted befor, if they expose Frye they will loose him.

All in all prety fair list PN.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 08-20-2007 at 03:56 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #12
real

Trade Anthony Weaver for Wesley and carry Cochran as the fourth DE
Old 08-20-2007   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

51 players mentioned on list leaves two more for NFL roster + 5 players for P.S. + any injured players such as Spencer. It is going to hard times for the "turk" this season. But that should mean we are a better team.
Old 08-20-2007   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
What kind of bonus $ do we have to eat?
Old 08-20-2007   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

Yep and he is runnin out of time. I like the guy. He's made some bo bos. But I like him. He's just running out of time.
Old 08-20-2007   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex King View Post
Pretty good list, PN.

I think it's usually 9 o-linemen, 9 d-linemen, 5 CBs or some combination of 9 DBs.
Usually it is only nine . But they fooled me last year and kept ten. And....if Mario is in the tank....do you keep ten d-lineman. I truly don't know what they are going to do. I thought it was prety silly of Lance Z to post his six WRs last week. I'm glad I'm not doing the hacking. I count eight guys I'd like to keep.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 08-21-2007 at 01:09 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
What kind of bonus $ do we have to eat?
A little over $4.8 mil and it ain't happening.
Old 08-20-2007   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
A little over $4.8 mil and it ain't happening.
Exactly! Thanks for the assist. Besides that management would have to say they made a mistake on another player. Not happening.
Old 08-20-2007   #19
Matt
Blogfather

Rep Power: 11 Matt was voted MVPMatt was voted MVPMatt was voted MVPMatt was voted MVP

Quote:
I love this plan. It's not feasible, but I love it.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #20
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:
By George, I think he's got it.

And we "ate" DC's cap hit to upgrade the QB spot. If we can upgrade the safety spot significantly, Smithiak will take the cap hit.

Sorry Jason, we've seen you have a great heart, and you brought our team some fabulous press with that down pmt for a jersey thing, but we want to win. You can play on special teams.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read