Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-19-2007   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default McClain:How would you motivate Mario?

Quote:
I'm going to keep this short and sweet. Actually, I'm going to steal Anna-Megan's idea of asking you guys a question: Other than literally lighting a fire under him, if you were the Texans coaches, what would you do to motivate Mario Williams?

I'm going to write a column in Wednesday's Chronicle about Mario and how disappointing he's been in preseason. I'm going to take the two- or three-best suggestions you send to this blog and use them in my Page 2 column on Wednesday.

I'm going to record the Dallas game. Afterward, I'm going to watch Mario over and over. I'm going to keep track of every play -- who's blocking him, what he does and what the play is. I'm going to see if the Cowboys run at him or away from him or if it even makes a difference. I'm going to document every single move I see Mario Williams make, and I'm going to list them in this blog.

Anyway, thanks ahead of time for contributing. Now, fire away: How would you motivate Mario?
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2007/08/h...e_mario_w.html
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McClain:How would you motivate Mario?

Send your Madden '08 covers to Mario c/o the Houston Texans.
Old 08-19-2007   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

the best way to motivate players that don't produce is to bench them and take away their starting spot...no better time than now when it doesn't count. It's sad that we are even talking about motivating Mario and his 50 million guaranteed cash.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #4
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
the best way to motivate players that don't produce is to bench them and take away their starting spot...no better time than now when it doesn't count.
I agree....other methods in practice are obviously not getting through to this guy....if he's playing like a 3rd stringer maybe the coaching staff should treat him like one and take away his minutes.........
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
the best way to motivate players that don't produce is to bench them and take away their starting spot...no better time than now when it doesn't count. It's sad that we are even talking about motivating Mario and his 50 million guaranteed cash.
I am extremely disappointed that Mario requires outside motivation at all. It is not consistent with everything I've ever read about the great ones in sports who motivate themselves from within. It's called heart, and obviously some have it more than others.
Old 08-19-2007   #6
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

vince has heart.........

*dream runs and leaves thread*
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #7
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Not exactly sure we can question a mans courage and heart that played in extreme pain for most of his first season when he quite easily could have had himself benched.

I'll wait for the season to unfold before passing judgement.

I'll also hope for the best.
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2007   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

We are talking about motivating Mario because John McClain thinks it is an issue. From the comments:

Quote:
{Casey, you miss the point. It's not that Mario doesn't have a sack. Is it too much to ask him to make a tackle? To assist on a tackle? To chase down a play? To tie up two blockers and free up someone else to make a tackle? Yes, it's preseason, and he might be ready to turn it on against the Cowboys or maybe the Chiefs. We'll see. Because of who he is and where he was drafted, he's going to be held to a higher standard than other players. I'm not saying he's a mistake. I'm not saying it's time to write him off. But I am saying he should be playing harder and showing up on the stat sheet at least once in two preseason games. -- JOHN}

Though Mario wasn't terribly effective yesterday, at least from my eyes it didn't look like a lack of effort. (Though I suppose, I should just look at stat sheets instead of my eyes). You know, where you are begging your readers to come up with ridiculous ways to motivate Mario so that you can publish them in the newspaper and get lots of page hits with a pile-on Mario post.

FWIW, this is what Kubiak says on the effort issue:

Quote:
Its pretty obvious hes got to play better. Hes got to be more of a factor for us to become a great defense, Kubiak said of Williams. I dont see a lack of effort in the kid, but its obvious we as coaches have to take more upon ourselves to get him in position to make some of those plays. Hes got his part to do, weve got our part to do.
I guess that is coach speak for: "I really hope the Houston Chronicle readers come up with ways to motivate Mario, such as the witty threat to mess up his Lamborghini blast. Boy howdy, that's some great humor."
Old 08-19-2007   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
We are talking about motivating Mario because John McClain thinks it is an issue. From the comments:

Though Mario wasn't terribly effective yesterday, at least from my eyes it didn't look like a lack of effort. (Though I suppose, I should just look at stat sheets instead of my eyes). You know, where you are begging your readers to come up with ridiculous ways to motivate Mario so that you can publish them in the newspaper and get lots of page hits with a pile-on Mario post.

FWIW, this is what Kubiak says on the effort issue:

I guess that is coach speak for: "I really hope the Houston Chronicle readers come up with ways to motivate Mario, such as the witty threat to mess up his Lamborghini blast. Boy howdy, that's some great humor."
I just wish effort equated to good play. I'm sure Carr gave a good effort for all 5 years he was here.

Old 08-19-2007   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
We are talking about motivating Mario because John McClain thinks it is an issue.
We've talked about it before this article, as well. When we hear a coach telling us that he had to chew Mario out to make him mad, and this resulted in better practice for him, then I see outside motivation being required.

I want the guy to succeed as much as anyone, but he still looks like a force field is sticking him to the first offensive lineman that hits him. I'm not seeing a fierceness in his play that refuses to allow someone to stop him. I watched yesterday's first team several times, and Mario never seemed to get away from his first block.

If there is something 'magical' that happens when the games count, then consider these games pointless to analyze. But I think you play like you practice, and I'm having a hard time believing that Mario is just going to turn it on when regular season starts. We should be seeing some indication of something right now, IMO.
Old 08-19-2007   #11
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

I don't see a problem with his motivation on the field. Off the field, he may not be doing everything he can - studying film, working on his own technique.

I can see why we have two senior coaches devoted fulltime to the d-line. There are more than four guys who they have to coach up. Zgonina's the only real vet. There's no Reggie White or Jevon Kearse to mentor any of them. It would be a lot easier if the rest of the line was established and Bush or Franklin could devote their time to working with Mario or Amobi.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #12
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

guess chron can run R.I.P. photo?
Old 08-19-2007   #13
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just wish effort equated to good play. I'm sure Carr gave a good effort for all 5 years he was here.

Well alot of posters on here seem to think he lacks the effort. He displays alot of effort IMO. It's also good to here it from Coach Kubes as well.

Let's see how he does in his 2nd year. I think Mario will have a bigger impact on the Texans in a good way than David Carr did.( I know that's not alot, lol)

A watched pot never boils.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #14
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Exactly.

I am expecting to hear a lot of the debates about Carr being rehashed as Mario stuff.

(coaching carousel, young group he is working with, no talented veteran leadership, how can you evaluate fire and heart blah blah blah. He also has the black cloud of the 2006 draft hanging over his head so his good will with the fan base is very limited and the burden of living up to a fat contract that often fans and teammates resent).

That being said, I think you can overlearn mistakes of the past. Carr is Carr, and Mario is Mario. All players have pluses and minuses. I would like to see more. I'd also like to see more from the defense as a whole. (Richard Smith is going to get a pass from John McClain until and unless it gets impossible not to critique him--McClain likes him a lot).
Old 08-19-2007   #15
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

The thought itself...motivation..for a #1 pick that people doubt is flawed to start with. That right there should be motivation enough. Personally I hated being doubted when I played sports and wanted to kill the other team. I'd hope that the people you put on the field have that same mentality and at some point hard work in general pays off.
Old 08-19-2007   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Exactly.

I am expecting to hear a lot of the debates about Carr being rehashed as Mario stuff.

(coaching carousel, young group he is working with, no talented veteran leadership, how can you evaluate fire and heart blah blah blah. He also has the black cloud of the 2006 draft hanging over his head so his good will with the fan base is very limited and the burden of living up to a fat contract that often fans and teammates resent).

That being said, I think you can overlearn mistakes of the past. Carr is Carr, and Mario is Mario. All players have pluses and minuses. I would like to see more. I'd also like to see more from the defense as a whole. (Richard Smith is going to get a pass from John McClain until and unless it gets impossible not to critique him--McClain likes him a lot).
agreed on many levels....right now we are what we are (to steal a phrase from the Tuna), so while patience from the fans isn't always something that is easy for us (or more specifically me)....I think all we can do is be patient and hope that Mario starts making plays. It's not like we can go exchange him like a bad lawnmower you get at walmart. Hopefully one day we will eventually have something to be proud of when it comes to 1st overall selections.

Old 08-19-2007   #17
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully the cheers for VY will get him going. If not, then maybe the "Reggie! Reggie!" chants that will more than likely fill Reliant will do the trick.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #18
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Hopefully the cheers for VY will get him going. If not, then maybe the "Reggie! Reggie!" chants that will more than likely fill Reliant will do the trick.
I know you are joking but if that gets him motivated we are in sad shape...

Cheers for vince twice a year and cheers for Reggie 1 out of 4 years.. (when we play their respectable teams)

Just being with Demeco out to be motivation enough esp with his well deserved rookie of the year award
Old 08-19-2007   #19
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68426 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's the team picture of Mario. I didn't realize he was born with a heart two sizes too small.

Old 08-19-2007   #20
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's sad that we are even talking about motivating Mario and his 50 million guaranteed cash.
I don't think Mario is guaranteed on $50 million, it's probably somewhere in the mid 20's

As to motivating a #1 draft pick with a huge contract, it's not like we haven't dealt with this before. We get rid of one and continue with another.

So it seems.

By the way, Schaub looks pretty good! I have heavily analyzed that personnel move, it looks like it's going to pay off.

Trying to look on the bright side of things.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read