Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-19-2007   #121
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Williams 0 0 0 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
with Mario and Okoye you see two opposite sides of the why it may take longer than expected on a DLmen.

Williams was used to just dominating players because he was simply bigger, stronger, and more athletic. He really did not have polished techinque, well maybe even no real technique. He can't just do that as a pro and now he has to learn. Also, most pass rushing types have quickness off the ball which is the one physical asset Mario does not have. Honestly, I think in the 4-3 he should play the LE or SDE and his best position maybe 3-4 DE. I would listen to an argue that he maybe better in you let him bulk up and play DT. For his skills RDE or the pure pass rushing position maybe his worse.

Okoye has the quick first step and technique, but literally needs to get physically stronger. The Texans probably need to pair him with a bigger run stuffing type at some point. I think it would be a mistake to play Okoye more 35 maybe 40 plays a game. don't think his body is mature enough to stand-up to the pounding. Simply Okoye needs a couple of years of weight training and general maturing of his body.

In the meantime, what you want to see from these guys is not just gettiing manhandled and flashing the pure skills that they were drafted for.
I agree. Both Mario and AO look like they would both be better 3-4 DEs than their current positions
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #122
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I dunno how many times I've got to post this sheet...one more apperently. Up untill that wensday, the day befor the Reggie Bush house stroy broke...no one offered a trade. No one. Mario was the best d-lineman on the board. Period. They were not going to take Bush.They put a phone call into the guy two days befor the story broke. And when they came back his demands were so outragous...the house story made Bush untouchable. They were not going to take Vincent. All you gotta do is watch the guy work a quarter and any sane person can see the guy can not pass the ball. Couldn't do it in highschool. Couldn't do it in college. And won't ever do it. Damn sure didn't do it last night. Their only two choices of that draft was to get a move down deal or pick Mario Williams. That was it. All of the revesionist crap then about Mario, and now about Okoye ...is just that crap. They weren't going to take a WR. Or a Rb or a FS. They passed on FS four times last April. After the forth time, I got it .

Well the two guys the last time I checked weren't dead yet. Instant gratifacation is a fools dream. I'm sorry they've missed your comfort level on what a first rounder is supposed to be. But at least give them the season. I saw them both hustleing and giving their all today. Paper says we've got a good D-line coach. Just got to let it play out. I know one thing for a fact neither one of them is going anywhere for a few seasons. That's your starting two on the right side untill '10. Wanna jump up and down and stomp your feet and hold your breath for three years, be my guest. The Draft is not a science. It is an art. All I know for a fact is that Okoye has an elite first step and Mario is a 1%er. They may well bust out. But it won't be because they don't play RB or QB. They now have WR2 in the fold. Won't see him there untill '09. But after four seasons, they have him now. I'm just curious which WR in '06 and '07 you would of picked over Jones ? Deacon Jones got the crap beat out of him the first three years befor he got up to speed. I don't think it will take our two that long. They're just too good of athletes. Just need a six pack of patience.
Who are you talking to? For the second post straight you have put words in my mouth and added more players to the mix. Please read my posts and comprehend them before heaping your b.s. to me. You lost all credibility when you started in on your VY stuff. He wasn't even the guy I wanted to take. As far as the trade offers, no one knows that as fact. That is what we were told. VY passed the ball against us and had the highest completion percentage his last year in college so I'll venture to say that the guy can throw and learn as time goes on. You are just showing that much of your talk revolves around the anti-VY sentiment. I'll say it for the hundreth time, there is a difference between "a #1 pick" and "the #1 pick." You can cry about being handcuffed with the pick all you want but it was still our choice.

I never said Okoye was a bust or anything in any post. I like the guy. He is young and raw. I think he could develop and liked what I saw in the college All-star games. When we drafted though, that wasn't my target. I like him though. I never said anything about Jones and love the guy. I never have called Mario a bust. I've only spelled out the things that make me and it seems others nervous. I even prefaced it by saying I need to see full games.

So PLEASE read before writing and stop trying to pick fights where there are none. I feel like this is a Carr thread again.

AND there has been guys the last few years that have made immediate impacts on the D-line from the drafts. For every Deacon Jones and Strahan there is a Kearse, Freeney, Ware, etc, etc. I even saw the Cowboys late round choice Spencer making some plays at the 3-4 LB yesterday. So I really don't like the arguments because all of us can find examples on both sides and make a good argument.

P.S.--Sorry to be harsh but my one pet peeve on the board is to be misquoted or to have words put in my mouth. I'm not sure where saying I need to see Mario more, I'm concerned about effort and I want to see him be the #1 guy can translate into: bust, I don't like Okoye, I don't like Jacoby, and I'm busting on the whole team.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 08-19-2007 at 01:28 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #123
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shadows View Post
How about that stop on 4th and 1?
Nonsense, the sky is falling!!
Old 08-19-2007   #124
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I don't need to do that. I can look at the guy and tell he's not playing well.

Stop feeding me this non-sense about how he really is, but he just hasn't played a full game and he will miraculously start playing ball "when it really counts"...ball players play ball....

You're in denial. His play was borderline terrible.
Ok. Before everyone starts piling on me. Let me say that I think our D line's play could have been better. But...

That statement above is gross exageration. It's not like Mario or Amobe are getting pushed all over the field.

Could they do a better job of getting of getting off of their blocks?

Sure.

I just watched the the 1s on my Tivo again. They are not getting blown off of the line of scrimmage. They are holding the point of attack.

I have a few questions for the critics.

Which 2 D linemen were everyone calling a bust last year?

Which 2 D linemen have everyone singing their praises this year?

How long have these 2 D linemen been in the NFL?

Were you one of the ones calling them a bust last year?

Carry on.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #125
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
Also, in Deacon Jones first year the Rams only had DE Lamar Lundy at that point. The next year they drafted DT Merlin Olsen and then in his third year the acquired DT Rosey Grier was acquired from the NY Giants to complete the original Fearsome Foursome. It should also be noted that although they rotated positions Jones normaly played LDE.

I love this picture!!
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #126
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I dunno how many times I've got to post this sheet...one more apperently. Up untill that wensday, the day befor the Reggie Bush house stroy broke...no one offered a trade. No one. Mario was the best d-lineman on the board. Period. They were not going to take Bush.They put a phone call into the guy two days befor the story broke. And when they came back his demands were so outragous...the house story made Bush untouchable. They were not going to take Vincent. All you gotta do is watch the guy work a quarter and any sane person can see the guy can not pass the ball. Couldn't do it in highschool. Couldn't do it in college. And won't ever do it. Damn sure didn't do it last night. Their only two choices of that draft was to get a move down deal or pick Mario Williams. That was it. All of the revesionist crap then about Mario, and now about Okoye ...is just that crap. They weren't going to take a WR. Or a Rb or a FS. They passed on FS four times last April. After the forth time, I got it .

Well the two guys the last time I checked weren't dead yet. Instant gratifacation is a fools dream. I'm sorry they've missed your comfort level on what a first rounder is supposed to be. But at least give them the season. I saw them both hustleing and giving their all today. Paper says we've got a good D-line coach. Just got to let it play out. I know one thing for a fact neither one of them is going anywhere for a few seasons. That's your starting two on the right side untill '10. Wanna jump up and down and stomp your feet and hold your breath for three years, be my guest. The Draft is not a science. It is an art. All I know for a fact is that Okoye has an elite first step and Mario is a 1%er. They may well bust out. But it won't be because they don't play RB or QB. They now have WR2 in the fold. Won't see him there untill '09. But after four seasons, they have him now. I'm just curious which WR in '06 and '07 you would of picked over Jones ? Deacon Jones got the crap beat out of him the first three years befor he got up to speed. I don't think it will take our two that long. They're just too good of athletes. Just need a six pack of patience.
I can't believe I'm saying this but...

This is the most well reasoned and thoughtful post in this thread.
Old 08-19-2007   #127
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this but...

This is the most well reasoned and thoughtful post in this thread.
I agree.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2007   #128
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 73923 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

What concerns me is how slow of a jump Mario gets off the snap. While watching the game live I thought ND was offsides on a bunch of plays, but after watching the game again it was just Marioís slow jump. Iím also concerned about Mario taking some plays off.

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #129
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

I am concerned about Williams being a crappy RE for the next 3 years.

At the moment he sucks big time. Period. End of story.

It's preseason, but the early returns on Mario show that he is pretty much a worthless football player with no heart, no skills, and another workout warrior.

Lets hope the Texans can overcome the meddling owner who has hurt the team with the resigning of Carr and drafting of Mario.
Old 08-19-2007   #130
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

After reading this thread, I'm going to go ahead and admit I'm probably being way too impatient. With the way that Babin is playing now, 3 years after being drafted, and the bust label that everyone put on him, it's probably a wise thing for me to wait a couple of years for Mario to develop the skills necessary to take it to the next level.

I guess that all the patience that I was preaching with Carr, and having nothing to show for it, is maybe translating to being impatient now.

He showed flashes last season with the bum foot, though. I don't know why I shouldn't expect to see a few flashes now.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #131
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Re: Questionable defensive coaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Sure would like to hear where you're going with that one.
If you look at the backgrounds of the defensive coaching staff, it is not like we have the most dominant coaching staff in the league. It's been my belief that if we were to have an offensive minded head coach, I'd like to see a quality coach heading up the defense.

Richard Smith was not the Texans first choice. There is very little in his background that inspires confidence in his abilities.

The defensive line has its second set of coaches. The DC admits that they misused Mario on the line last year.

They said in the broadcast that the line gets to make its own line calls. But didn't discuss that any further. So basically a line composed of a 20 year old, a guy who came out as a true junior, someone that came of the practice squad last year, and an old guy get to figure out what they are going to do at the line.

Blind leading the blind? I'm not saying they are horrible, but I can't say I have a lot of confidence in the staff. I'd feel better about the development of our young players if there was a defensive staff with more of a track record running the show, developing and chosing players to fit their system, whatever the heck that is.

(The offensive side of the ball has its own inexperience, but at least Sherman has a lot of experience and the majority of the staff is on the same page with Kubiak from a philosophical standpoint. And though they weren't great in 2006, you could tell a coaching difference. The defense from a coaching perspective has shown me more bad than good, so that's where I'm coming from in saying that it is questionable).
Old 08-19-2007   #132
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
After reading this thread, I'm going to go ahead and admit I'm probably being way too impatient. With the way that Babin is playing now, 3 years after being drafted, and the bust label that everyone put on him, it's probably a wise thing for me to wait a couple of years for Mario to develop the skills necessary to take it to the next level.

I guess that all the patience that I was preaching with Carr, and having nothing to show for it, is maybe translating to being impatient now.

He showed flashes last season with the bum foot, though. I don't know why I shouldn't expect to see a few flashes now.
hard to say, I keep trying to convince myself that the reason our D has been... less than exciting, is because it's pre-season and that we're keeping all the goodies in the box until the regular season starts. I'm not sure that is the case, but I hope it is
Old 08-19-2007   #133
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm really surprised by some of the posts I'm seeing in this thread.

Mario negatives from people I wouldn't have expected it from. But as I have not seen him play in this preseason, I have to take their words, because they are people I trust.

However, I saw alot of the things that made Mario our #1 pick last season, and I find it hard to believe his effort has dropped so far.

I was not disappointed with Mario in the least bit all of last season, & I'm still optomistic, that he'll be one of the premier defensive players in the league for a long time to come.

My excuse for why we aren't seeing those numbers translate to the stat sheet??

As a whole, our defense is still pretty young. Our defensive line more so. Mario, Maddox, TJ, Amobi, Babin... our best defensive lineman, are all what 3 years or less in this league??

Had Mario gone to Tampa Bay with Simeon Rice, and Warren Sapp, we'd be crying that we didn't take him. Or if He went to play in Philadelphia, opposite Jevon Kearse, and swapping inside/outside duties with Darren Howard, we'd drool over a player that could do what Mario would do on that team.

OR if he played opposite Dwight Freeney, we wouldn't question Indy's dominance of the AFC South.

Our best defensive lineman is an undersized DE we've been trying to get to play LB for most of his professional career.

On this team, It's going to take a little time before Mario can dominate. That's just the way it is.
Old 08-19-2007   #134
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Its only preseason, so I'm not really worried yet, but just rather annoyed. If were going into week three of the regular season and Mario is still doing his "invisible man" act.........thats when I'll start to get upset.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #135
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
hard to say, I keep trying to convince myself that the reason our D has been... less than exciting, is because it's pre-season and that we're keeping all the goodies in the box until the regular season starts. I'm not sure that is the case, but I hope it is
Well, maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but I wanted to see the level of play of the defensive linemen without blitzes and stunts. Not happy with what I'm seeing.

Blitzes and stunts are meant to compliment the pass rush, not to make up for the lack of. Game film with a good offensive co-ordinator can sniff out the difference and take advantage of it.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #136
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
The fly in the Mario ointment is that a big part of his upside were the explosiveness and quickness measurables at the combine. I think the quick first step is more of a mental aspect Marion hasn't displayed. If that even makes sense.

I agree that Okoye will need time for his body to mature into that of a man, not just an exceptionally strong teenager.
Your comments on Mario make perfect sense. Because he is thinking and not merely reacting that gap is the difference between using the quickness that the tests show he has and what we have seen on the field.
ArlingtonTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #137
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaelen86 View Post
Not trying to defend Mario, but a player similar to his physical attributes, Julius Peppers (who I might add has been in the league a lot longer) put up Mario-type numbers last night.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?season...&game_id=29471

It was interesting to me to see one of the elite pass rushers in the league be a no-show. Though sadly for Mario, Peppers has shown what he can do in the regular season.

Maybe Mario is unmotivated in preseason, maybe he really is a bust, but I find it hard to label him a true bust until after year 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgl35 View Post
Peppers did not play against the Eagles.
lol...hilarious

The unintentional humor on message boards is the best part sometimes. Reminds me of those espn commercials with the guys talking out of their keysters

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #138
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Re: Questionable defensive coaching

If you look at the backgrounds of the defensive coaching staff, it is not like we have the most dominant coaching staff in the league. It's been my belief that if we were to have an offensive minded head coach, I'd like to see a quality coach heading up the defense.

Richard Smith was not the Texans first choice. There is very little in his background that inspires confidence in his abilities.

The defensive line has its second set of coaches. The DC admits that they misused Mario on the line last year.

They said in the broadcast that the line gets to make its own line calls. But didn't discuss that any further. So basically a line composed of a 20 year old, a guy who came out as a true junior, someone that came of the practice squad last year, and an old guy get to figure out what they are going to do at the line.

Blind leading the blind? I'm not saying they are horrible, but I can't say I have a lot of confidence in the staff. I'd feel better about the development of our young players if there was a defensive staff with more of a track record running the show, developing and chosing players to fit their system, whatever the heck that is.

(The offensive side of the ball has its own inexperience, but at least Sherman has a lot of experience and the majority of the staff is on the same page with Kubiak from a philosophical standpoint. And though they weren't great in 2006, you could tell a coaching difference. The defense from a coaching perspective has shown me more bad than good, so that's where I'm coming from in saying that it is questionable).
You make some excellent points about the defensive staff. I have to admit. I asked, " Richard Who?" when the coaching staff was put together last year. However, they are the coaching staff and we can only hope they know what they are doing.
Old 08-19-2007   #139
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but I wanted to see the level of play of the defensive linemen without blitzes and stunts. Not happy with what I'm seeing.

Blitzes and stunts are meant to compliment the pass rush, not to make up for the lack of. Game film with a good offensive co-ordinator can sniff out the difference and take advantage of it.
You might be right about this but I'd always heard very different. I'd heard that teams that were without dominant D-linemen had to blitz or use stunts in order to disguise/hide those personnel weaknesses. I hear announcers and analysts say all the time that its considered a luxury to have a dominant pass rush from your front four and be able to drop seven back into coverage and feel good that the opposing QB won't "have all day" to throw.

I can't wait for the day that our D-line gives our defense that "luxury". But we obviously aren't there yet.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #140
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
You might be right about this but I'd always heard very different. I'd heard that teams that were without dominant D-linemen had to blitz or use stunts in order to disguise/hide those personnel weaknesses. I hear announcers and analysts say all the time that its considered a luxury to have a dominant pass rush from your front four and be able to drop seven back into coverage and feel good that the opposing QB won't "have all day" to throw.

I can't wait for the day that our D-line gives our defense that "luxury". But we obviously aren't there yet.
you run stunts for the same reason you run counters and misdirection on offense. You have to mix it up and not become predictable....players are too good in this league to just do the same things over and over.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read