Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2007   #81
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Williams 0 0 0 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Now that is just plain silly.
I hate silliness.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #82
bayshorebevo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Now that is just plain silly.
What is silly about a player playing a half of a game like crap and expecting the coaching staff to be unhappy about it. if they aren't they are idiots. And don't give me that garbage about they know more than everyone else either.
bayshorebevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #83
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with xtru, I've been a fan of Mario being a strongside DE for sometime now. He hasn't demonstrated the pass rushing skills to be the weakside DE. Bump Mario to strongside and put in Kalu or Babin in his spot at weakside. Putting him in the position that's supposed to generate our most consistent pressure only magnifies his inadequacies. I think he could make a very good strongside DE anchoring the line and hopefully eventually providing *some* pass rush.

It's disturbing how little production we're getting out of an area we've spent so much on the last four years. The only positive I've taken from that group is that after a couple years of mediocre play, Babin and TJ (mainly Babin) seem to have finally taken a step forward.

I want to see a healthy season out of Mario before I panic, but I'm definitely worried at this point. Okoye isn't playing well but the guy's 20 years old. He's got a couple years before I expect really big things from him.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #84
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

too bad mario isn't Carr or our defense would have a bunch of sacks
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #85
bayshorebevo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle View Post
So...what are you saying? Proper spelling and grammar would help. Capitalization is espcially helpful. Incompelete sentences are baffling.
Don't be stupid, this isn't a spelling bee. We are talking about football where guys are trying to knock the heck out of each other. I am sick of this team going down the toilet since it started and a bunch of people saying its okay. It's time the Texans stood up to be counted. BTW, how many of the players would write a paragraph grammatically correct? I suppose that is more important than winning games.
Old 08-18-2007   #86
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ai'nt nuttin rong wit da playas rightin.

Old 08-18-2007   #87
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
too bad mario isn't Carr or our defense would have a bunch of sacks
LOL
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2007   #88
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayshorebevo View Post
BTW, how many of the players would write a paragraph grammatically correct?
I know one that wouldn't, Vince " Mr. Wonderlic" Young.
Old 08-18-2007   #89
HJam72
Hall of Fame

He spells it "wonder lick".

Old 08-18-2007   #90
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
I know one that wouldn't, Vince " Mr. Wonderlic" Young.
Old 08-18-2007   #91
bayshorebevo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle View Post
Calling people stupid will have you shot down in a hurry, bub. State your case so it's understandable.

Last time I checked, most NFL players weren't on their MBs. After playing a lousy game, they were getting chewed up.

We know the Texans haven't been stellar of late. They've never been stellar. At least pose a point so it can be addressed instead of having us speculate as to your meaning. Unless your point is that we need to win. I think we're all on the same page there.
"So...what are you saying? Proper spelling and grammar would help. Capitalization is espcially helpful. Incompelete sentences are baffling."

You called me stupid with that quote. or were you just trying to be superior, bub?

Last edited by bayshorebevo; 08-18-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-18-2007   #92
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
The problem is that those guys weren't the #1 pick. I'm not here to hammer Mario but for every person that points out that Bruce Smith and others didn't kill it their first season, there is another side that shows that Kearse and Freeney and Merriman and even Ware to some extent that made plays their first year. Of course people then bring up injuries. I guess what I'm worried about is the same thing people were worried about scouting him..his motor. I saw some plays today where he was pushed back to where the LBs were and wasn't even 5 yards from the play. I'm ready to see the #1 guy blow by someone and get in the QBs head. I'm just giving my assessment here.
Well it was a little thingy...didn't matter much....on the fourth and one, Maddox stuffed Al Johnson and made his gonads retreat back up into his body cavity. 'Ol Al will be seaching for his spenter for a few days. Maddox and Mario held the point with two guys driving into Mario. Now , Demeeeco and Clark are getting all the gravy from that play. But Maddox and Mario held the point. They turned the RBs shoulder pads. As far as your instant gradifacation is concerned, they guy is still a babe and he is husseling every play. What I can not for the life of me understand is why we can hold our water and wait for Babins and T.J. to develope , but Mario has to be Reggie White out of the box. You wanna worry about something on the defensive side, worry about four FF on the ground and no one gets close to the recovery. Vincent plays for the Titans and Reggie plays for the Saints. All the banging in the world on Mario isn't going to change those two facts. He'll emerge when he emerges.
Old 08-18-2007   #93
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well it was a little thingy...didn't matter much....on the fourth and one, Maddox stuffed Al Johnson and made his gonads retreat back up into his body cavity. 'Ol Al will be seaching for his spenter for a few days. Maddox and Mario held the point with two guys driving into Mario. Now , Demeeeco and Clark are getting all the gravy from that play. But Maddox and Mario held the point. They turned the RBs shoulder pads. As far as your instant gradifacation is concerned, they guy is still a babe and he is husseling every play. What I can not for the life of me understand is why we can hold our water and wait for Babins and T.J. to develope , but Mario has to be Reggie White out of the box. You wanna worry about something on the defensive side, worry about four FF on the ground and no one gets close to the recovery. Vincent plays for the Titans and Reggie plays for the Saints. All the banging in the world on Mario isn't going to change those two facts. He'll emerge when he emerges.
I understand what you are saying but you are barking up the wrong tree. I'm not sitting here yelling "bust." I'm trying to explain what you get when you take a guy #1 overall. 1) I'm not sure on the hustling. Do I think he is jaking it?I'm not going to say that but there were questions about his motor since NC St. So I'd like to see some full games in yr 2 and see what he has. 2) I never said anything about Babin or TJ. I think Babin has been horrible for what Charlie gave up but will be happy is he has a breakout year. I'm concerned TJ had to have a coach threaten to cut him to get him to turn it around. 3) My thread had nothing to do with VY or Reggie. You just have to realize that your assessment might make alot of sense for the 17th guy taken in the 1st round but when you take a guy #1 overall, you are expecting to see plays, not someone that can spend a career holding the line. The reasoning behind his pick was "we are getting torched in the secondary and having a guy who can pressure the QB can change that." Right now, we aren't getting close to that. So I'd like to see more. That isn't a sin.
Old 08-18-2007   #94
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
The problem I'm having is that Mario hasn't WOWed me at all. Not last year and certainly not this year either. Yes, I give him a little bit of a pass on last year because of the injury, but I expected to see signs of brilliance this preseason. I haven't seen anything from him. If Mario had one play were he really gave chase to the QB or stuffed the run, just something I could cheer, I’d feel much better about him.

And, as far as Bust talk goes, well, he's not a bust, yet, but the word is starting to linger in the back of my mind.
No arguements here. All I can say is that I will withhold judgments until after year 3. Last year with the bouncing around and playing all 4 positions, thats just crazy. Hopefully this year he'll be able to concentrate on learning and doing one thing well; rush the passer from one spot. If what we saw last year and then in these two preseason games is any indication then we screwed up. Until next year is over I'm not going to say that.

Good luck Mario, we the fans/team/city need you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #95
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
Some folks are just looking to throw Mario under the bus, and I think it still goes back to them not getting who they wanted in last years draft.

Let's give him some regular season playing time and see how he's progressed since last year.

We won the game...both sides of the ball looked good...let's feel good about that!
What are u smoking? Our defense was in disarray the entire game and MW & AO were total non-factors when they were in the game. Of course, we should give them time to develop but, they should also show flashes of the promised greatness and that is not happening. Now, it is not their fault that we drafted them as high as we did. So, the disappointment should be pointed at the FO.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #96
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
What are u smoking? Our defense was in disarray the entire game and MW & AO were total non-factors when they were in the game. Of course, we should give them time to develop but, they should also show flashes of the promised greatness and that is not happening. Now, it is not their fault that we drafted them as high as we did. So, the disappointment should be pointed at the FO.
It takes time for young D-Linemen to develop. The Texans have drafted the youngest player in 2 consecutive drafts, now. It should not be expected that these young players be dominant immediatly.
Old 08-18-2007   #97
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How can there be disapointment after 3 quarters of NFL football for AO and a year for MW? Mario's lack of "WOW" factor I understand somewhat. But AO? Come on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #98
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
It takes time for young D-Linemen to develop. The Texans have drafted the youngest player in 2 consecutive drafts, now. It should not be expected that these young players be dominant immediatly.
I didn't say they are supposed to be dominant .... just show us some flashes.
Old 08-18-2007   #99
maddogmrb
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
How can there be disapointment after 3 quarters of NFL football for AO and a year for MW? Mario's lack of "WOW" factor I understand somewhat. But AO? Come on.
I see, so our #1 picks are not supposed to show us ANYTHING for several years and then miraculously they are going to become impact players. I'm glad nobody has told Jacoby Jones that.

Also, I don't think Adam Carriker is subscribing to that hyposthesis, and neither is Patrick Willis.
Old 08-18-2007   #100
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Quote:
I see, so our #1 picks are not supposed to show us ANYTHING for several years and then miraculously they are going to become impact players. I'm glad nobody has told Jacoby Jones that.

Also, I don't think Adam Carriker is subscribing to that hyposthesis, and neither is Patrick Willis.
Jacoby Jones is a WR/PR not a DE or a DT.
Patrick Willis is a LB not a DE or a DT.
Adam Carriker is a DT but he is the exception so far in preseason at DT and not the rule.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read