Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2007   #21
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Williams 0 0 0 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Probably. Babin is finally playing well... in his fourth year. Travis is showing signs of progress in his 3rd yr. Some of the talking heads said it would take a DL three yrs to truly "blossom"; maybe they were right for a change.
The problem is that those guys weren't the #1 pick. I'm not here to hammer Mario but for every person that points out that Bruce Smith and others didn't kill it their first season, there is another side that shows that Kearse and Freeney and Merriman and even Ware to some extent that made plays their first year. Of course people then bring up injuries. I guess what I'm worried about is the same thing people were worried about scouting him..his motor. I saw some plays today where he was pushed back to where the LBs were and wasn't even 5 yards from the play. I'm ready to see the #1 guy blow by someone and get in the QBs head. I'm just giving my assessment here.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 08-18-2007 at 07:03 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #22
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Yeah well, maybe you should petition the league...
Maybe I should. It wasn't only Mario Williams that was held. Their entire O-Line was getting away with Offensive Holding on the Texans D-Line almost all game long.
Old 08-18-2007   #23
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Mario did not do much today, but let's make sure we focus on him given that our team sucks more than ever in the last six years.
That's a "newbie" post if I ever saw one.

But you're not a newbie, so what the hell, man?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #24
real

I think I am being unfair to Mario when it's really the coaching staff's fault.

Mario is a good football player, but he's being asked to do something he's not suited for.

He's being asked to be THAT guy who provides pressure from the edge, and to date I have not seen anything from Mario's on field performances that suggest he's capable of doing so.

The guy should be playing Strong side DE. Not Weak side, or "RDE" as some would say.
Old 08-18-2007   #25
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
seems you are out of touch with football fans on this one....all the fans hammer their disappointing players on all the teams...just look around
Out of touch with the need to hate on someone perhaps, but for the first time there is reason to have optimism due to the product as a whole. Carry on, as the need to hate seems to be therapeutic for some.
Old 08-18-2007   #26
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Probably. Babin is finally playing well... in his fourth year. Travis is showing signs of progress in his 3rd yr. Some of the talking heads said it would take a DL three yrs to truly "blossom"; maybe they were right for a change.
This is impossible. Every Dlinemen is supposed to produce immeidiately like Freeney and Peppers although they are the exception...

Seriously though

I mean Strahan, J.Taylor, Burgess, Vanden Bosch, DEs just take more time. These guys coming out of college are used to just over powering OTs and linemen. Some of them use one move in college, like how Mario had a awesome bullrush in college...well he is finding out that isn't going to work any more. While his speed and strength is a factor he needs more technique, once he gets that he should do well.

Also I didn't see the first drive for the Cardinals. But for Dlinemen in general it is harder to stack up tackles and Sacks are not a easy stat to attain. If 2 sacks and 3 tackles are good game for a DE, why are we expecting him to get this in the PT he's getting in Pre-Season?
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #27
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
Maybe I should. It wasn't only Mario Williams that was held. Their entire O-Line was getting away with Offensive Holding on the Texans D-Line almost all game long.
Let me get this straight. You are actually excusing their poor play.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2007   #28
real

Quote:
Yet we still had some players that were able to get pressure, or atleast show signs of being able to rush the passer.

Imagine that.
Old 08-18-2007   #29
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
I think I am being unfair to Mario when it's really the coaching staff's fault.

Mario is a good football player, but he's being asked to do something he's not suited for.

He's being asked to be THAT guy who provides pressure from the edge, and to date I have not seen anything from Mario's on field performances that suggest he's capable of doing so.

The guy should be playing Strong side DE. Not Weak side, or "RDE" as some would say.
I also think he me be better suited for Left side as well... but we will see when the season comes.
Old 08-18-2007   #30
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

I am an admitted Mario Williams fan, but even I can see that he has some things he still needs to work on. I believe he is still giving up his chest too much most of the time. Also, he doesn't look comfortable out there to me.
Old 08-18-2007   #31
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
This is impossible. Every Dlinemen is supposed to produce immeidiately like Freeney and Peppers although they are the exception...

Seriously though

I mean Strahan, J.Taylor, Burgess, Vanden Bosch, DEs just take more time. These guys coming out of college are used to just over powering OTs and linemen. Some of them use one move in college, like how Mario had a awesome bullrush in college...well he is finding out that isn't going to work any more. While his speed and strength is a factor he needs more technique, once he gets that he should do well.

Also I didn't see the first drive for the Cardinals. But for Dlinemen in general it is harder to stack up tackles and Sacks are not a easy stat to attain. If 2 sacks and 3 tackles are good game for a DE, why are we expecting him to get this in the PT he's getting in Pre-Season?
LOL....

Old 08-18-2007   #32
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
That's a "newbie" post if I ever saw one.

But you're not a newbie, so what the hell, man?
Mario did not do squat today, that is a fact in my eyes. Are you saying that he did?
Old 08-18-2007   #33
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Out of touch with the need to hate on someone perhaps, but for the first time there is reason to have optimism due to the product as a whole. Carry on, as the need to hate seems to be therapeutic for some.
you are just as bad labeling people as haters who are just voicing disappointment....I guess that's therapeutic for you as well.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #34
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Quote:
Yet we still had some players that were able to get pressure, or atleast show signs of being able to rush the passer.

Imagine that.
Against players that might not make the Cardinals' roster. By the time I saw the Texans putting pressure on the Cardinals' QB's their best O-Linemen were on the bench.
Old 08-18-2007   #35
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
you are just as bad labeling people as haters who are just voicing disappointment....I guess that's therapeutic for you as well.
Did not call you a hater, but if the shoe fits smell it. I am disappointed in Mario as well and stated it last week and today. I care for the team, not for one player. Carry on.
Old 08-18-2007   #36
real

Quote:
Against players that might not make the Cardinals' roster. By the time I saw the Texans putting pressure on the Cardinals' QB's their best O-Linemen were on the bench.
But, But, But....They were getting held!

Whatever...
Old 08-18-2007   #37
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

I agree with BAttleRed about the holding...but it seems to me Mario is being singled out again when our Dline in general didn't get any pressure until the end of the game...

Babin did good but that was about it. TJ did alright, but overall our Dline play in general needs to improve.
Old 08-18-2007   #38
Aaelen86
waterboy

Not trying to defend Mario, but a player similar to his physical attributes, Julius Peppers (who I might add has been in the league a lot longer) put up Mario-type numbers last night.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?season...&game_id=29471

It was interesting to me to see one of the elite pass rushers in the league be a no-show. Though sadly for Mario, Peppers has shown what he can do in the regular season.

Maybe Mario is unmotivated in preseason, maybe he really is a bust, but I find it hard to label him a true bust until after year 3.
Aaelen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #39
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:
Just saying that we have a team that actualy may win games this year, so let's make sure we spoil it. Fair seems to be synonmous with lament in Houston, much like UT fans.
But people wouldn't complain if they didn't care. I desperately want Mario to be great, like I desperately wanted that girl in kindergarden to like me. And I have reservations about us being able to win a lot of games without someone, anyone stepping up on the D-line. Mario seemed to be the guy primed to do that. He's snubbing us. Purposely.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #40
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

With a couple of exceptions, I'm dissatisfied with the entire first team defense. I didn't get the 3-&-outs like I was looking for. There wasn't the pass rush everyone else was looking for...

Smith can't be happy.

as a fan, I know I'm not.

We need to stop collecting WRs and collect some DBs. And let the four most aggressive D-linemen start. I don't care what they make or where they were drafted.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 08-18-2007 at 07:05 PM.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read