Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2007   #201
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Williams 0 0 0 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex King View Post
It's kind of moot in the overall scheme of things, but the thread title is wrong. I went back and looked, and Kubiak mentioned it. Mario was in on some tackles in the run game, held up the RB in the backfield near the goal line.
Yeah, most of us here laughed when he said that.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...z/5067216.html
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #202
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
He's going to have a lot of problems from the Fans because of the pressure I meant which is the same thing Mario has to go through now.

I am not saying don't bash the guy. I am just saying don't label him as bust until his time is up. It may not be this season, it may not be the next, but any season he can explode and all these hard times may be well worth the wait IF he does.
If a high first round draft pick DE has not "shown" up in the first year 2006, has not shown up so far this year and has not exploded in your 3 year scenario, to me, he is a bust. I do not see anyone calling for Mario to be a pro bowler this year, just earn your salary ($3million). I do not care if it is preseason. In fact, he should be doing quite well as defense is always ahead of offense this time of year. He looked lost to me.
Old 08-20-2007   #203
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

It is kind of funny in a weird way...and sad. But overall he did do a good job in the run game, same as last year.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #204
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually Russell was inconsistant for most of his college career, he did have a great second half last year year including a great bowl game. But that is the way it is coming out of college, all you have to do is produce one year and your labled a stud.
I probably watched every single LSU game last year (I probably watch as much SEC football as I do the NFL) and I'll put my eye for talent up with anyone's here. I can't see how anyone would question his talent after watching him play...I mean, after all he was the first overall pick in the draft and I was talking about him way before most of you guys even heard of him.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #205
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
I've always been the eternal optimist. I see the glass as half full, you see it as half empty. I prefer my method, less stress. Glad to see you have a good memory, but you failed to mention I ate that crow publicly. You remember to do the same LOL
so you see the Mario glass as half-full? whatever man. you can call it eternal optimism but I call it blind stupidity and a distinct detachment from reality. Mario is not a bust yet but I have to seriously consider that its a distinct possibility. My point is that the same people that blindly homered for Carr despite mountains of contrary evidence seem to be the same people who are blindly homering for Mario. A player has to actually show something for me to start homering for him. With some of you it seems like once they put on your team's colors they are instantly HOF and above criticism or critical analysis. Not surprising that its from the same fan base that actually thinks Bagwell is worthy of HOF status and from the same fan base that thought Carr was actually worth a crap.

as for you eating crow, I didn't care about who ate crow when we got rid of our last QB. I just wanted the team to improve....I don't have an agenda or some inner desire for people to admit they were completely wrong and were guilty of being myopic homers.

As for eating crow regarding Mario, nothing would make me happier than Mario actually becoming a decent football player and then eating crow because of it. I just havent seen ANYTHING to believe that eating crow is in my future. To the contrary, it looks like this Mario debacle is only getting worse.
Old 08-20-2007   #206
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've always been the eternal optimist. I see the glass as half full, you see it as half empty.
some see it half full, some see it half empty, but I see a glass twice the size as it needs to be.

Old 08-20-2007   #207
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
It is kind of funny in a weird way...and sad. But overall he did do a good job in the run game, same as last year.
I am done with discussing and debating on Mario until the season starts. It feels like 6 out of 10 threads are about Mario...

I am not going to debate any further on Mario because frankly I am just tired of discussing him and only him, and then comparing him to RBs, and then bringing up past DEs who've had worse rookie seasons than him, and then bringing up the big plays that he's made last year.

If this team depends that much on Mario than we are doomed. I still feel like that the only reason he is such a hot topic because he was picked over God himself and the second coming. But i'll leave it at that.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2007   #208
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
so you see the Mario glass as half-full? whatever man. you can call it eternal optimism but I call it blind stupidity and a distinct detachment from reality. Mario is not a bust yet but I have to seriously consider that its a distinct possibility. My point is that the same people that blindly homered for Carr despite mountains of contrary evidence seem to be the same people who are blindly homering for Mario. A player has to actually show something for me to start homering for him. With some of you it seems like once they put on your team's colors they are instantly HOF and above criticism or critical analysis. Not surprising that its from the same fan base that actually thinks Bagwell is worthy of HOF status and from the same fan base that thought Carr was actually worth a crap.

as for you eating crow, I didn't care about who ate crow when we got rid of our last QB. I just wanted the team to improve....I don't have an agenda or some inner desire for people to admit they were completely wrong and were guilty of being myopic homers.

As for eating crow regarding Mario, nothing would make me happier than Mario actually becoming a decent football player and then eating crow because of it. I just havent seen ANYTHING to believe that eating crow is in my future. To the contrary, it looks like this Mario debacle is only getting worse.
People could say the same thing to all of us about being Texans fans the last 5 years. You say tomato i say toma-toe.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #209
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
I am done with discussing and debating on Mario until the season starts. It feels like 6 out of 10 threads are about Mario...

I am not going to debate any further on Mario because frankly I am just tired of discussing him and only him, and then comparing him to RBs, and then bringing up past DEs who've had worse rookie seasons than him, and then bringing up the big plays that he's made last year.

If this team depends that much on Mario than we are doomed. I still feel like that the only reason he is such a hot topic because he was picked over God himself and the second coming. But i'll leave it at that.
I don't know why you're dragging me into your debate with xtru. I have no dog in the fight except Mario. But he's not playing as I expect him to, and he doesn't look better than last year. If we can't get any kind of pass rush, then, yeah, we are kind of doomed.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #210
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I probably watched every single LSU game last year (I probably watch as much SEC football as I do the NFL) and I'll put my eye for talent up with anyone's here. I can't see how anyone would question his talent after watching him play...I mean, after all he was the first overall pick in the draft and I was talking about him way before most of you guys even heard of him.
I am not sure if you are being sarcastic here or not. Honestly, I can't tell.

Do not get me wrong I think J Russell was the best QB coming out last year. But like with a lot of other QBs, he is not a pure passer and there are a few things he will need to work on to become a probowl player. I was not saying he was not worth the pick but to say he played 3 great years at LSU would be incorrect is all.
Old 08-20-2007   #211
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

improve mario, improve.
Old 08-20-2007   #212
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
I don't know why you're dragging me into your debate with xtru. I have no dog in the fight except Mario. But he's not playing as I expect him to, and he doesn't look better than last year. If we can't get any kind of pass rush, then, yeah, we are kind of doomed.
I am not trying to drag you into anything. You just made a point that I kinda agreed on and I wanted to say what I said.

I have no problem with what Tru is saying. I have a problem with fans that feel that Mario is a bust and keep constantly brining up the draft. Some people act like your rookie season is going to repeat itself for the rest of your career or something. Some people have a agenda and I feel like they secretly want Mario to fail for their reasons, if any Texan fan wants that than they are not a fan.

I truly understand the disappointment. At the same time I understand moving to another level of play is not as easy as we may think. But I am not going to debate on him no more until the season starts and I get a better idea of how he's improved if he has.

Last edited by Leahmic223; 08-20-2007 at 01:23 PM.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #213
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

A great defensive end in the NFL gets 1 sack every 3 games, face it, DE's are not flashy, they are in the trenches, moving bodies and changing angles more than anything, but it has effect on others, thats why they are there, not to get .3 sacks a game.
Old 08-20-2007   #214
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

the worst part is, our fans our so superficial they will cheer Mario on when he gets a sack but forget it about it the next game. Sorry but Mario is not Reggie Bush, he is not gonna have highlight reel performances game after game.
Old 08-20-2007   #215
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
the worst part is, our fans our so superficial they will cheer Mario on when he gets a sack but forget it about it the next game. Sorry but Mario is not Reggie Bush, he is not gonna have highlight reel performances game after game.
our fans aren't superficial...I run a few message boards around the league and I'd say we have a pretty mature group if you want the truth. You just overreact to the fringe...you always have. I remember you brow beating me in game threads when I didn't like Carr's performances.

Old 08-20-2007   #216
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 27501 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
so you see the Mario glass as half-full? whatever man. you can call it eternal optimism but I call it blind stupidity and a distinct detachment from reality. Mario is not a bust yet but I have to seriously consider that its a distinct possibility.
Lets not make it personal. I respect your opinion, and to call me stupid because my opinion differs from yours is wrong
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #217
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 27501 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
some see it half full, some see it half empty, but I see a glass twice the size as it needs to be.
As a retired engineer, I see that same design problem, nothing a session at the drafting table can't fix
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #218
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
so have you watched the games so far? have you seen Mario this year? anyone who would be pleased or even satisifed thus far would be a prime candidate for a full frontal lobe lobotomy.
Old 08-20-2007   #219
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Lets not make it personal. I respect your opinion, and to call me stupid because my opinion differs from yours is wrong
point taken.
Old 08-20-2007   #220
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan

lets trade mario if he does not step up this year

PS. Yall wanna mess lets mess
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read