Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2007   #181
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Williams 0 0 0 0

In respect to the D-Line, one thing also to consider is that the Texans may be drafting guys that might be physically gifted, but not yet emotionally mature.

The guys that they're going up against know every trick in the book.

I think that it's too much to expect from a 19 or a 21 year-old to instantly know how to play against experienced O-Linemen.

By the time that the NFL slows down enough for them, it might be a contract year.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #182
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

<--Me cooking a big of batch of crow....it'll have to simmer at least 2yrs, but alot of you will be eating a portion, I'm making my guest list right now....
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #183
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
All D-Linemen get held. The O-Linemen only get called for it when they are grabbing the guy's outside shoulder. In other words, they only get called for it when they make it too obvious. It's on the D-Lineman to find a way to beat the hold.
You're right in that Mario needs to beat the hold. He needs to become better at hand fighting. I'd suggest martial arts training. Too bad Mr. Miyagi is no longer around.

But, Mario was blatantly held on numerous occasions. On Leinart's touchdown throw, Gandy had a fist full of jersey. On another play, you can see Kalu lifting Mario's jersey back over his shoulder pad. To be fair, the refs weren't calling holding on either side of the ball.

Another suggestion would be for Mario to invest in some custom fit jerseys. It needs to fit tighter so that the blockers can't grab it so easily. I think he can afford that.
Old 08-20-2007   #184
gjmac2
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 gjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I think I am being unfair to Mario when it's really the coaching staff's fault.

Mario is a good football player, but he's being asked to do something he's not suited for.

He's being asked to be THAT guy who provides pressure from the edge, and to date I have not seen anything from Mario's on field performances that suggest he's capable of doing so.

The guy should be playing Strong side DE. Not Weak side, or "RDE" as some would say.
Interesting, xtruroyaltyx, I had not thought of that. But, I think your right. I think Babin at RE and Mario at LE might just be the answer.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Mario is a 3-4 DE, or a LE in a 4-3. He is not Freeney, or Peppers, or even Bruce Smith. He is strong and thick, not quick and lean.
gjmac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #185
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
You're right in that Mario needs to beat the hold. He needs to become better at hand fighting. I'd suggest martial arts training. Too bad Mr. Miyagi is no longer around.

But, Mario was blatantly held on numerous occasions. On Leinart's touchdown throw, Gandy had a fist full of jersey. On another play, you can see Kalu lifting Mario's jersey back over his shoulder pad. To be fair, the refs weren't calling holding on either side of the ball.

Another suggestion would be for Mario to invest in some custom fit jerseys. It needs to fit tighter so that the blockers can't grab it so easily. I think he can afford that.
Randy White took up martial arts for the same reason. He started giving hand-fighting classes to Cowboys D-Linemen in the 90's. I think that he's still doing it. I read Greg Ellis learned it from him.

When the TV camera shows Mario's jersey at the end of a game, it's all wrinkled, crumpled, and tore up. It seems like it's already pretty tight when a game starts.

Xtru might be onto something by putting it on the coaches. I think if he were playing for KC, San Diego, or Pittsburgh, then he would probably be a terror.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #186
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
The guy should be playing Strong side DE. Not Weak side, or "RDE" as some would say.
You mean like....uhhhh...the coaches?

He's being played RDE regardless if it's the weak or strong side. He does not appear to be moving around the line based upon what the offense is doing. At least the first two pre-season games have been this way.
Old 08-20-2007   #187
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
i wish i had 1/10 the inside info you seem to have.
it's not inside info, its called not being a moron and having common sense.

dont you have a carr jersey to pawn?
Old 08-20-2007   #188
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
You mean like....uhhhh...the coaches?

He's being played RDE regardless if it's the weak or strong side. He does not appear to be moving around the line based upon what the offense is doing. At least the first two pre-season games have been this way.
tis really just a matter of preference...

you say tomato, I say tomato...
Old 08-20-2007   #189
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
<--Me cooking a big of batch of crow....it'll have to simmer at least 2yrs, but alot of you will be eating a portion, I'm making my guest list right now....
just like your batch of crow for all us 'carr haters'. i am sure you had a fair share of leftovers.....

but if Mario becomes more than a bad football player I will be more than happy to eat your crow and ask for a second helping...I just wouldn't make too much or you may have trouble getting rid of it like your Carr batch you made.
Old 08-20-2007   #190
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
I am sure real Texan fans will be ready to eat it, at least those without a agenda.

I am not too worried about him at all. As Dlinemen go, we all know it just takes awhile, so for me it is too early to worry.

But I feel like he is the new david carr...look how many threads pop up about him now and look how large they grow...
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #191
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
I am sure real Texan fans will be ready to eat it, at least those without a agenda.

I am not too worried about him at all. As Dlinemen go, we all know it just takes awhile, so for me it is too early to worry.

But I feel like he is the new david carr...look how many threads pop up about him now and look how large they grow...
He's just the new 60 million player in a league with a hard salary cap that isn't producing up to his level of pay.....and when your best players don't play up to your pay in the NFL your teams usually suck. Most of us would just like to see him win a few battles. I don't need to wait next year for that.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #192
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
He's just the new 60 million player in a league with a hard salary cap that isn't producing up to his level of pay.....and when your best players don't play up to your pay in the NFL your teams usually suck. Most of us would just like to see him win a few battles. I don't need to wait next year for that.
JaMarcus Russell is going to have a hard time. I know a few Raiders fans in my family(from california) and one of them already said he sucks and they should trade him.

If the Pressure is too much for Mario though, than obviously he isn't going to make it in this league.

I'll give him a few more seasons, he's won some battles last year in the regular season, so I am willing to let the guy grow more as a player and as a person. He's not a horrible player based on last season, and I get a feeling that some people think he's just flat out horrible.
Old 08-20-2007   #193
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
JaMarcus Russell is going to have a hard time. I know a few Raiders fans in my family(from california) and one of them already said he sucks and they should trade him.
He hasn't even taken a snap, so that comment is just idiotic at best...Jamarcus Russell is a pure stud....at least he produced in College. Just because a person can open their keyster, doesn't mean they know what you are talking about.

Old 08-20-2007   #194
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He hasn't even taken a snap, so that comment is just idiotic at best...Jamarcus Russell is a pure stud....at least he produced in College. Just because a person can open their keyster, doesn't mean they know what you are talking about.
I think JaMarcus can be good. Just from the Raider fans I know...some of them will wait, but I know a few that are tired of waiting to see when he is going to sign.

When he does though...it is going to be tons of money.
Old 08-20-2007   #195
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
I think JaMarcus can be good. Just from the Raider fans I know...some of them will wait, but I know a few that are tired of waiting to see when he is going to sign.

When he does though...it is going to be tons of money.
well, sure...but we all knew that already.

Old 08-20-2007   #196
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Quote:
well, sure...but we all knew that already.
He's going to have a lot of problems from the Fans because of the pressure I meant which is the same thing Mario has to go through now.

I am not saying don't bash the guy. I am just saying don't label him as bust until his time is up. It may not be this season, it may not be the next, but any season he can explode and all these hard times may be well worth the wait IF he does.
Old 08-20-2007   #197
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
He's going to have a lot of problems from the Fans because of the pressure I meant which is the same thing Mario has to go through now.

I am not saying don't bash the guy. I am just saying don't label him as bust until his time is up. It may not be this season, it may not be the next, but any season he can explode and all these hard times may be well worth the wait IF he does.
we talk about what we see as we see it around here for the most part. You may want to wait 3-5 years to judge him but the seasons in the NFL are ridiculously short (only 8 home games a year)....stuff happens fast in the NFL...you either bring it or you don't. If he plays better in 3 years we will all notice it then.

Old 08-20-2007   #198
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
just like your batch of crow for all us 'carr haters'. i am sure you had a fair share of leftovers.....

but if Mario becomes more than a bad football player I will be more than happy to eat your crow and ask for a second helping...I just wouldn't make too much or you may have trouble getting rid of it like your Carr batch you made.
I've always been the eternal optimist. I see the glass as half full, you see it as half empty. I prefer my method, less stress. Glad to see you have a good memory, but you failed to mention I ate that crow publicly. You remember to do the same LOL
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #199
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Actually Russell was inconsistant for most of his college career, he did have a great second half last year year including a great bowl game. But that is the way it is coming out of college, all you have to do is produce one year and your labled a stud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post

Of course we cannot have one damn single post without mentioning carr because he has everything to with ow Mario plays.
Old 08-20-2007   #200
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

It's kind of moot in the overall scheme of things, but the thread title is wrong. I went back and looked, and Kubiak mentioned it. Mario was in on some tackles in the run game, held up the RB in the backfield near the goal line.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read