Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2007   #1
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan
Default a quick question

with all of us worried about our running back and all why did we not draft Marshawn Lynch? i think we messed up two years in a row now IMO. what do yall think?

PS. Yall wanna mess lets mess
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #2
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: a quick question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonFan View Post
with all of us worried about our running back and all why did we not draft Marshawn Lynch? i think we messed up two years in a row now IMO. what do yall think?
Lynch will be out of the league within four years. The problem is the o-line always has been.
Old 08-17-2007   #3
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Lynch will be out of the league within four years. The problem is the o-line always has been.
y will he be out?

Old 08-17-2007   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

because we already signed Green? that's my guess. We can draft a back in just about any draft class....I don't think it was a huge priority after we signed Green for the short term future.

Lynch is overrated imo anyway.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #5
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
because we already signed Green? that's my guess. We can draft a back in just about any draft class....I don't think it was a huge priority after we signed Green for the short term future.

Lynch is overrated imo anyway.
wouldnt he work as our needed scat back though?

Old 08-17-2007   #6
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i think we messed up two years in a row now IMO. what do yall think?

The jury is out on whether or not we "messed up" by passing over two players for Mario. Time will be the judge.

Having a chance to draft Okoye was an opportunity the Texans could not pass up.

Lynch? I might would take him as my second back this year in fantasy football, and the Bills are high on him, but we're ok at RB for now. Heck, I think we're better than ok!
Old 08-17-2007   #7
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see why we're in need of a scat back.
Old 08-17-2007   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
why do we need a feces back? I wish you young guys never even learned this term...it just seems so wrong. I probably haven't used this term since the 70's.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #9
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We had Chester Taylor. That's why.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We can draft a back in just about any draft class.
Exactly. Backs are a dime a dozen.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A scat back is usually taken later in the draft because he's not going to be on the field much. A scat back is just a changeup you throw in there every now and again. If you're going to take a running back in the first round, you want him to be able to carry the full load. That was why I was skeptical of the Reggie Bush hype.

We originally drafted Domanick Davis/Williams to be a scat back but he turned into an every down back because he was the best we had. And he didn't last very long because of that.

It would be nice to have a scat back but it's not a necessity. We just need our guys to play well.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #12
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
A scat back is usually taken later in the draft because he's not going to be on the field much. A scat back is just a changeup you throw in there every now and again. If you're going to take a running back in the first round, you want him to be able to carry the full load. That was why I was skeptical of the Reggie Bush hype.

We originally drafted Domanick Davis/Williams to be a scat back but he turned into an every down back because he was the best we had. And he didn't last very long because of that.

It would be nice to have a scat back but it's not a necessity. We just need our guys to play well.
i dunno i think we could use one

Old 08-17-2007   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

A WCO doesn't have much need for a 'scat' back (I always thought this was a derogatory-like term back in the day. No RB wanted to be considered one.)
Old 08-17-2007   #14
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What do you consider a scat back? This past draft was horrible for runningbacks. If you think the Texans messed up, would imply you think he is a top 10 pick which he is not. Last year he would have been a 3rd round pick as far as backs go.

Only two picks this year in the draft were 1st rounders plus 3 2nd rounders which includes the titans reaching on a career backup.

There were no backs available for the Texans.
Old 08-17-2007   #15
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was in favor of Garrett Wolfe late in the draft, but we are ok at RB for a year or two with Green. He won't be great, but he won't be bad enough to cut him loose.

My back of choice if everyone must have a RB next year is Felix Jones.
Old 08-17-2007   #16
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
My back of choice if everyone must have a RB next year is Felix Jones.
I am with you here. Sometimes I think Slaton would be better, but he seems a bit small.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #17
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I think the reason Green came and Lynch never arrived is very simple. Green's success came while playing under Sherman, and they both knew it. Green coming up Free Agent and the Texans needing a running back, you knew it was going to happen. Besides, the Texans (I won't say this for all teams) like to take care of their featured needs through free agency and trades so that they have more options. This year the Texans bought a running back, quarterback, and left tackle. Supposedly this answered most of the questions (I disagree) before draft day.

We could go on-and-on for other reasons. Intangibles is a possibility. Lynch has had trouble and the Texans aren't fond of bringing in troubled players. Also, you could mention that the "Denver way" is that you don't worry about a running back. You can pick up any back anywhere because the line does the work.

In the end, it just wasn't meant to be.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #18
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
why do we need a feces back? I wish you young guys never even learned this term...it just seems so wrong. I probably haven't used this term since the 70's.
Not sure how many understand that Vinny.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #19
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
whoa.... you just made a connection that brought up all sorts of twisted images ...dude, why did you have to go there?
Old 08-17-2007   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Not sure how many understand that Vinny.
To me, "scat" makes me think of jazz singers. I'm a musician. I also heard "scat" meaning "run away" when I was growing up... which I think is the meaning used for football.

But I've never used scat as a shortened version of scatalogical or some related word. I hadn't thought of that until the earlier "fecal" joke.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read