Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2007   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Matt Mosley on Texans D

Williams setting bar high in Year 2

In part:

Quote:
In order to create some semblance of a pass rush, Smith played Williams on both sides, and moved him inside on third-down passing situations. As a result, Williams wasn't consistent, and his inability to register a sack through the first three games only added to his self-doubt.

"Moving him all around wasn't the right thing to do," Smith said. "We decided to let him get good at one spot, so he could just let his instincts take over."

Even now, veteran defensive end N.D. Kalu occasionally pulls Williams aside to remind him not to be so mechanical. Kalu, who played college football a few miles from Reliant Stadium at Rice, has served as a sounding board for young players such as Williams and this year's first-round draft choice, defensive tackle Amobi Okoye.

"I looked over the other day and Mario was counting his steps before making a move," Kalu said. "He's got 20 different people in his ear, and sometimes you have to say, 'Screw the coaches, screw the technique.'"

Williams finished with only 4˝ sacks last season, but he played half the season with a foot injury that kept him out of practice and required pain-killing injections. A lot of players attempt to explain that sacks don't tell the whole story -- especially when they don't record many. But that's not the case with Williams.

Asked about his personal goals heading into this season, Williams said he wanted the single-season sack record. When I reminded him that he came up 18 sacks shy of that mark, his expression didn't change.

"You have to aim high," Williams said. "So I want the record."
There's some more in a insider only article

As an aside, I've noticed that some Texans fans are using various pot shotting names when referring to Williams. Personally, I'm not sure what that adds to the discussion. I'm not saying he has to be your favo player or something, but gee, that's what I expect from trolling opposing fans.
Old 08-17-2007   #2
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Matt Mosley on Texans D

For him to come out this year and have that kind of sack record would be a resounding slap across the league that the Texans are finally turning the corner and that picking him first in the draft was a good decision. History is not in his favor, IIRC, but I still hope the best for the guy.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #3
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP

I am glad that the sack record is in the front of his mind, but now is the time to put up or shut up. The sacks won't be handed to him, he is going to have to put out an astounding amount of effort to reach that goal.

As far as I am concerned, with a statement like that coming from Mario himself... his image will be tarnished in mediocrity if he doesn't at least hang with the sack counts of some of the top d-line men in the league.

I am a HUGE Mario fan, but he better learn to crawl before he makes statements about dancing the jig.

My $0.02.
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #4
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exithios View Post
I am glad that the sack record is in the front of his mind, but now is the time to put up or shut up. The sacks won't be handed to him, he is going to have to put out an astounding amount of effort to reach that goal.

As far as I am concerned, with a statement like that coming from Mario himself... his image will be tarnished in mediocrity if he doesn't at least hang with the sack counts of some of the top d-line men in the league.

I am a HUGE Mario fan, but he better learn to crawl before he makes statements about dancing the jig.

My $0.02.
Stole the thoughts right from my brain waves...

He's putting more pressure on himself than he needs to...

He needs to worry about getting to a prime number higher than 3 before he's talking about setting records...
Old 08-17-2007   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In order to create some semblance of a pass rush, Smith played Williams on both sides, and moved him inside on third-down passing situations. As a result, Williams wasn't consistent, and his inability to register a sack through the first three games only added to his self-doubt.

"Moving him all around wasn't the right thing to do," Smith said. "We decided to let him get good at one spot, so he could just let his instincts take over."
The problem is that Mario still isn't playing his his best position. He's a LDE. That's where he played in college, and that's where he's played best in the NFL. But, the Texans spent $27 million on Anthony Weaver prior to drafting Williams. And Weaver has proven that he can only play LDE. So it's Mario who has to be the square peg in the round hole.

I just don't know what Weaver brings to the table for this defense. He can't rush off the edge. He can't get a push up the middle. He doesn't hold up against the run when playing DT. OK, Weaver is good vs. the run as a LDE. Is that worth a $27 million deal? He can't be moved with that contract, and he's signed through 2010. Weaver's just a bad fit for the Texans, both on the field and on the salary cap spreadsheet.
Old 08-17-2007   #6
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I just don't know what Weaver brings to the table for this defense. He can't rush off the edge. He can't get a push up the middle. He doesn't hold up against the run when playing DT. OK, Weaver is good vs. the run as a LDE. Is that worth a $27 million deal? He can't be moved with that contract, and he's signed through 2010. Weaver's just a bad fit for the Texans, both on the field and on the salary cap spreadsheet.
I said a long time ago that we should have never signed Weaver...

Our best D-line would be Mario on the strongside and Babin on the weakside...

Weaver needs to find a 3-4 to have fun with...
Old 08-17-2007   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The problem is that Mario still isn't playing his his best position. He's a LDE. That's where he played in college, and that's where he's played best in the NFL. But, the Texans spent $27 million on Anthony Weaver prior to drafting Williams. And Weaver has proven that he can only play LDE. So it's Mario who has to be the square peg in the round hole.

this goes back to Mario not being the #1 pick in mind when Weaver was signed. When Reggie blew up Texans scrambled to put a 4th pick into the #1 pick slot. Fan expectaton remains for a #1 selection who was never thought to be a #1.
Old 08-17-2007   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
this goes back to Mario not being the #1 pick in mind when Weaver was signed.
Absolutely. There was gobs and gobs of stuff in the local media and also posted here last year about how we didn't have a strongside DE for Kubiaks 4-3 as the new HC transitioned from the 3-4 to the 4-3. And that's exactly why Weaver was picked up. The Texans always expected to draft Bush, and they were so poorly prepared for the Draft (the #1 pick atleast), that it apparently never occured to them to have a fallback position in the event
they had second thoughts about Bush in the 11th hour. Amazing !
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #9
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default No. 1 pick Williams strives to improve, but knows he can't escape Young, Bush

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_522628.html

Quote:
HOUSTON - Mario Williams knows defensive tackle isn't the sexiest position in football.

While Vince Young scampers for touchdowns and Reggie Bush dives and flips over defenders, last year's No. 1 overall pick is stuck in the trenches trying to get around double-teams that could involve up to 700 pounds of offensive linemen.

Yet, Houston Texans fans who wanted the team to draft Young, the Houston-born quarterback, or Bush, the Heisman Trophy running back, expect Williams to outdo and outdazzle them both.

How can he?
Quote:
"Some people, I'm telling you, even that wouldn't be enough for them," Williams said with a hearty laugh. "They are locked on to the people they like and nothing will change their minds."

Fans who booed and hissed when the defensive end was announced as the top pick a year ago didn't have much reason to cheer for him in Houston's 6-10 season.

The former North Carolina State standout started every game in 2006 but finished with just 47 tackles and 4 1/2 sacks while dealing with a painful foot problem.

Many called that performance disappointing. Those in the Texans organization did not. And playing through his injury, they say showed character.

"We didn't expect him to come out here and set the world on fire the first year," said Texans owner Bob McNair. "And the fact that he had the injury that he did, a lot of people would have said: 'Coach I can't play.' But he said: 'If I can help, even if I'm not 100 percent, I'm willing to go out there and do it.' I think that's an admirable trait. We were very pleased with that."
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #10
HotRodsHair
The Newbie

I tend to think the difference between considering Mario a success or a failure depends almost entirely on where he was drafted. I'm not saying that's unfair.

Just for the sake of comparison, if Akoye produces similar numbers and has a similar impact on the games as Mario did in his first season would he be considered a success? I tend to think so.

I like that Mario is thinking about the sacks record. I also like the idea of lining up Babbin on the other side (as someone else mentioned above.)
HotRodsHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
As an aside, I've noticed that some Texans fans are using various pot shotting names when referring to Williams. Personally, I'm not sure what that adds to the discussion. I'm not saying he has to be your favo player or something, but gee, that's what I expect from trolling opposing fans.
The thing that many Texans fans scream about - the national media being stuck on the 2006 draft - seems to permeate our fan base, as well.

We need to see Mario for Mario, and not the first overall pick with all the high expectations that come from that position in the draft.

The fact of the matter is that he may never rise up to meet those expectations. But he can still be a good player that provides a key element to a solid defense.

Dogging him with silly names after just a rookie season seems a bit childish. Bruce Smith was accused of slacking, being fat, and taking plays off in his rookie year after being the first overall pick, and many folks wondered if he was a bust after one year. I say give the guy a chance to learn the position - one of the harder ones in the NFL - before hatin' on the guy. He's still a Texan and will be one for awhile.

Quote:
I've got mixed thoughts on Richard Smith. The above quote makes me think he's not qualified to be a defensive coordinator in the NFL. Blitzing Vince Young on third and long is another, as well as letting J.P. Losman beat us at the end of a game.

Hopefully Bush and Franklin can elevate his coaching abilities.
Old 08-17-2007   #12
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

In part:

Git'em TC!!

Quote:
HOUSTON - Mario Williams knows defensive tackle isn't the sexiest position in football.

While Vince Young scampers for touchdowns and Reggie Bush dives and flips over defenders, last year's No. 1 overall pick is stuck in the trenches trying to get around double-teams that could involve up to 700 pounds of offensive linemen.

Yet, Houston Texans fans who wanted the team to draft Young, the Houston-born quarterback, or Bush, the Heisman Trophy running back, expect Williams to outdo and outdazzle them both.

How can he?
It seems there are some reasonable people around the country. That's refreshing to see. Too bad it didn't come from Mario's own fanbase. That part is rather embarrassing really.

We gotta stop letting the trolls drive us crazy.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 08-17-2007 at 08:25 PM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #13
barberman
Rookie

Quote:

In part:

If at the end of Mario`s third year in the league and he`s not producing 10 plus sacks a season then he should be in for whatever criticism anyone see`s fit to dish out. It takes time to learn in this league, Mario has the tools and with experiece he will become dominate in the NFL. Same applies for Amobe, it will take time. But eventually the Texans D will carry the Team to the Playoff and beyond.
barberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #14
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

This portion of the article really confirmed what I've always thought about Mario's play.

"I looked over the other day and Mario was counting his steps before making a move," Kalu said. "He's got 20 different people in his ear, and sometimes you have to say, 'Screw the coaches, screw the technique.'"

He seems tentative like he's trying too hard to not make a mistake. I think he's been fed so much technical crap that he's overthinking every step he makes instead of using his instincts and just playing football. He locks up with the O lineman and seems like he's trying to decide if he should be playing run or pass. And apparently, in order to play well, you have to make him mad. He just seems too nice. Without that mean streak he's looking at a long row to hoe in this league. I also disagree that he needs more time to learn the position. He's had a full year and it's not brain surgery he's trying to learn. Beat the tar out of the guy in front of you and get the guy with the ball.

He needs to step up, get mad, and be the backfield destroyer we're paying him 60 mil to be or he'll be a labeled a bust along with the rest of our first round picks. Now.

"Genius since 1952"

Last edited by prostock101; 08-17-2007 at 10:11 PM.
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #15
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Starting Weaver also goes toward the thought or question about whether or not Kubiak plays the 'best' player or is influenced by something else...
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #16
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post
This portion of the article really confirmed what I've always thought about Mario's play.

He seems tentative like he's trying too hard to not make a mistake. I think he's been fed so much technical crap that he's overthinking every step he makes instead of using his instincts and just playing football. He locks up with the O lineman and seems like he's trying to decide if he should be playing run or pass. And apparently, in order to play well, you have to make him mad. He just seems too nice. Without that mean streak he's looking at a long row to hoe in this league. I also disagree that he needs more time to learn the position. He's had a full year and it's not brain surgery he's trying to learn. Beat the tar out of the guy in front of you and get the guy with the ball.

He needs to step up, get mad, and be the backfield destroyer we're paying him 60 mil to be or he'll be a labeled a bust along with the rest of our first round picks. Now.

"Genius since 1952"
I have 2 questions for you.

1) Have you ever played Defensive End at any level(Middle School, High School, College, or Professional)? Your criticism of the transition from Collegiate Defensive End to Professional Defensive End lead me to ask this. It also leads me to believe that you know little about which you have posted. I never played Defensive End at any level, but I have heard those who have played it at the professional level talk about the difficulty transitioning from college.

2) Are you a member of the Texans Organization or Bob McNair's family? If not, then it isn't your money, and you shouldn't be worried about how others spend their money. I get very tired of hearing people complain about the Texans wasting money as if it is their money. It isn't. It is Bob McNair and the other Minority Owners' money to spend as they like.

Last edited by BattleRedToro; 08-18-2007 at 11:42 AM.
BattleRedToro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #17
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
I have 2 questions for you.

1) Have you ever played Defensive End at any level(Middle School, High School, College, or Professional)? Your criticism of the transition from Collegiate Defensive End to Professional Defensive End lead me to ask this. It also leads me to believe that you know little about which you have posted. I never played Defensive End at any level, but I have heard those who have played it at the professional level talk about the difficulty transitioning from college.

2) Are you a member of the Texans Organization or Bob McNair's family? If not, then it isn't your money, and you shouldn't be worried about how others spend their money. I get very tired of hearing people complain about the Texans wasting money as if it is their money. It isn't. It is Bob McNair and the other Minority Owners' money to spend as they like.
Wow, dude cool your jets there. In answer to your questions, no and no. I have been a huge football fan since I watched the Oilers play in Rice Stadium and I am grateful to McNair for bringing a team back to Houston that we can support. First of all, I am a big fan of Mario and I was glad they drafted him. I like watching great defenses play and my hope is he will become the player we all expect of him. My concern just echoes what 90% of the posters on this board have said and that he has just seemed a little tentative in his play. Hopefully, he will become the player we need at that position, and in the meantime, I will continue to be a great fan and support this team win or lose.
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read