Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What SHOULD Kubiak do for No. 2 WR?
Award it to one guy, at the end of preseason 32 68.09%
Give it to Jacoby NOW, giving him time to settle in 12 25.53%
Give it to Mathis NOW, giving him time to settle in 3 6.38%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2007   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is it time for Kubiak to START Jacoby and Mathis TOGETHER?

What's the deal with Walter getting a pre-camp blessing as the No. 2 WR...when Jacoby and Mathis have both outplayed him in both camp and in the preseason thus far?

What kept Kubiak from anointing Mathis or even Jacoby as the future WR alongside AJ?

Is this a situation of utilizing a system of tenure or seniority by Kubiak, giving the veteran Walter the go-ahead...knowing full well that two guys (Mathis and Jacoby) are technically more talented and have more overall ability than the veteran Walter?

Who do you think is the best fit after AJ and Owen Daniels?

Is there room for both Jerome and Jacoby on the field at the same time, or does it need to be a true "either/or" deal where only one of them is featured the majority of the time on the field?
Old 08-16-2007   #2
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan
Default Re: Is it time for Kubiak to START Jacoby and Mathis TOGETHER?

give it to mathis now!

PS. Yall wanna mess lets mess
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #3
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

How bout letting Kubiak make the decision as to who starts at WR and who doesn't there, skippy?

You already ran off on the other thread about how you think Kubiak wants to keep Mathis down, when he in fact, has been praising him all camp.

Like someone else said, you oughta think about stepping away from the ledge.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #4
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 51708 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
How bout letting Kubiak make the decision as to who starts at WR and who doesn't there, skippy?

You already ran off on the other thread about how you think Kubiak wants to keep Mathis down, when he in fact, has been praising him all camp.

You can drown by flying through the air... I saw it on Monk one time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #5
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to see what Mathis can do. That kind of speed would be dangerous if he can run a route.

I'm not saying he can, not saying he can't. I don't get the opportunity to watch the games.
I also like what I've heard about Jones. Should be an interesting battle.

but if you're keeping Johnson, Mathis, Jones and Daniels on the field long-term, you're wasting a great punishing fullback in Vonta Leach (assuming you want Green on the field, too).
Old 08-17-2007   #6
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

lol i was quoting the answer above where it says start mathis now, chill its alright

PS. Yall wanna mess lets mess
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #7
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonFan View Post
lol i was quoting the answer above where it says start mathis now, chill its alright
Perhaps the comment was not directed at you ?
Old 08-17-2007   #8
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104108 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Either way we will be fine. So far both of them have shined. I'm still pulling for Mathis though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Run 3 reciever sets most of the time. That makes it easy. When they start dropping back for the pass, Green runs up the gut.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Perhaps the comment was not directed at you ?
It wasn't.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #11
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love to Jones as the #2. Bring Mathis in the slot.

They need to give Jones as many reps as he can get, so he can get used to the Pro game.
Old 08-17-2007   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976 View Post
What's the deal with Walter getting a pre-camp blessing as the No. 2 WR...when Jacoby and Mathis have both outplayed him in both camp and in the preseason thus far?

What kept Kubiak from anointing Mathis or even Jacoby as the future WR alongside AJ?

Is this a situation of utilizing a system of tenure or seniority by Kubiak, giving the veteran Walter the go-ahead...knowing full well that two guys (Mathis and Jacoby) are technically more talented and have more overall ability than the veteran Walter?

Is there room for both Jerome and Jacoby on the field at the same time, or does it need to be a true "either/or" deal where only one of them is featured the majority of the time on the field?

My opinions:

Jones and Mathis have more speed.

Walter through Kubiak's experience with him has good hands (wasn't shown in one pass during the preseason game against the first team). Especially with a new quarterback, he wants receivers to run sound routes, and Walter has more experience with the offense.

Jones is fast, but is not technically sound. He is learning route running etc. He still drops balls. He's a rookie from a small school--this game is hard enough for wide receiver rookies from big schools.

Mathis is fast but he is Mr. Glass. Personally, I would like to see him on offense only with designed gadget plays for him. I think if you use him too much on offense and also on ST, you are going to blow him up.

I don't think Kubiak annoints anyone. He said Walter was the #2 position because he earned it due to his hard work and play. (He likes talking guys up for their hard work and giving them playing time as an example to the team of what hard work does). But if someone is playing better than him, he is going to get bumped. It would non-surprise me if Jones ends up being the #2 at some point in the season if he shows the game isn't too big for him.
Old 08-17-2007   #13
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mathis is fast but he is Mr. Glass. Personally, I would like to see him on offense only with designed gadget plays for him. I think if you use him too much on offense and also on ST, you are going to blow him up.
TC i think ya put it perfectly. Kind of the way Randal-El was used in Pit gadget and ST wise.

Quote:
I don't think Kubiak annoints anyone. He said Walter was the #2 position because he earned it due to his hard work and play. (He likes talking guys up for their hard work and giving them playing time as an example to the team of what hard work does). But if someone is playing better than him, he is going to get bumped. It would non-surprise me if Jones ends up being the #2 at some point in the season if he shows the game isn't too big for him.
Excellent point about the transition not only from college mind you, but a small program like Lane. If he keeps playing like i hear and works on his routes.... i think he'll push for PT this year. His attitude seems fit for it as well.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #14
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Is it time for Kubiak to START Jacoby and Mathis TOGETHER?

IMO:

Dre
Jones/Mathis
?????

Davis or Walter or Keenan

2 of those 3, sorry Bethel and the other guys.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #15
real

I don't want Keenan McCardell on this team...

Low Key I'm pulling for David Anderson to make the squad...
Old 08-17-2007   #16
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Is it time for Kubiak to START Jacoby and Mathis TOGETHER?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I don't want Keenan McCardell on this team...

Low Key I'm pulling for David Anderson to make the squad...
I don't know because I haven't seen him play yet....!?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #17
real

Wasn't there a thread about Jacoby starting this week ?
Old 08-17-2007   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976 View Post

With Kubes saying he erred last season by not giving Walter more plays, I think naming him #2 did several things. It took pressure off Walter and put it right back on the coach. I respect Kubiak for that. I imo put the other receivers on notice that #1 & #2 spots are taken. If you want to be here this season you better bring your 'A' game. At the time of the Coronation, there was doubt about Mathis and only dreams about Jacoby. Also, if you name Mathis #2 as you suggest and he is cut before game one due to health, you look pretty stupid. The play of both should drive Walter as Kube can say "look you are the season player. You going to allow these two kids to make you and me look bad?" It should also make the old timers feel good as Coach knows they bring something to the table other than talent. IMO AJ is the only one who could "take time off between plays" and not worry about it. He is not the type to do that.

Mathis: I am focusing on his return skills and 1-3 plays a game as a WR on an end around or deep threat. Even if it is just a diversion. If he can just hold on to the ball, his speed and bring a sweet dimension to the offense.

Jacoby: I want to see how he does Saturday, before he supplants Walter, who just might have a say in this himself.
Old 08-17-2007   #19
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would say Jones has the better receiver skill set so start him, Mathis would be a nightmare in the slot for S or LB to worry about.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #20
nfl-brit
Groovy, baby!

Rep Power: 10 nfl-brit was voted MVPnfl-brit was voted MVPnfl-brit was voted MVPnfl-brit was voted MVP

Appoint Mathis and let him get settled in ASAP. Lots of practice, lots of routes and catches - let the lad get some confidence at the position.

"Train hard, fight easy"

Sig by AZwhoopr
Adopt-a-Texan 2008 : Matt Schaub
"nfl-brit.....keeping Allah busy since 1988"
nfl-brit is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read