Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2007   #1
real

Default Our D-line on passing downs...

I read this interesting snippet from Anthony Weaver:

Quote:
Asked if the plan is for him is to play tackle on third-down passing situations, he said, "I think that's the game plan right now. On the nickel, I'll go in there so we can get our speed guys at end. That's fine by me. That's what I've done my whole career.
http://blogs.chron.com/sportsupdate/...ans_camp_2007/

So if Weaver is going to go inside on passing plays to allow "speed guys to come in at end" if Mario isn't getting to the QB like we'd like him to should we completely take him out of the game and put Babin and Kalu at DE?

Mario + Weaver at DE = piss poor pass rush

Any suggestions ?
Old 08-17-2007   #2
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 17 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover
Default Re: Our D-line on passing downs...

passing downs:

Kalu, Okoye, Weaver, Babin
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #3
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog View Post
passing downs:

i dunno babin i think is getting worn down

PS. Yall wanna mess lets mess
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #4
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

I see Mario is the new scapegoat...

We really should give Our players more leeway than one friggin year and a preseason game...really especially at DE.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #5
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan

new? no he has been

Old 08-17-2007   #6
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
I see Mario is the new scapegoat...

We really should give Our players more leeway than one friggin year and a preseason game...really especially at DE.
Seriously. Mario is what, 21 years old? And he is playing on the Dline( a very hard transition from college to pros). Not to mention he had plantar fasciitis the second-half of the season. You can clearly see his production fall after game 7 against the Giants in which he had 2 sacks. I know this is an old argument but it's true.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #7
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonFan View Post
new? no he has been
You've just admitted that he was your scapegoat did you not...

That means you unfairly and incorrectly judge his performance, because you put all the blame on him.

You think our Dline isn't as good because of him.

You blame our secondary's poor play because of him.

Also it is very unwise to judge a player off one year...how many times do we have to learn this? Especially when he's had a better rookie year than some pro bowl DEs had as rookies...people are just expecting WAY TOO MUCH from Mario.

DEs and DTs develop a bit slow. Same for Olinemen. You can't say after one average rookie year "That guy is a bust." especially after one year...

For people to say Kalu and Babin are better than Weaver and Mario that is just giving up on Mario.

Also Mario is getting his chance. If the 4th year comes and he has not improved...then he will be benched... Babin had his shot, and he didn't capitalize. Kalu had his shot somewhere and didn't capitalize.

Mario is getting his shot. Travis had his shot and didn't make the most of it, and now he's on the bench 2nd string and he has to work his way back up.

All I am saying and have been saying...Give Mario his shot. Especially since his rookie year wasn't as bad as people want you to beleive. He got a vote or two for DROY if I remember correctly.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-17-2007   #8
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's stay focused on the D-Line as a whole, instead of another Mario thread, OK?

I have this question for anyone who can tell me the answer.

Ready?

When was the last time, (not just last season, I mean EVER, in the entire life of the Texans) that you saw the opponent QB get sacked by the starting DL alone, without a somekind of blitz, of any kind?

Last edited by Marcus; 08-17-2007 at 01:41 AM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #9
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Quote:
You've just admitted that he was your scapegoat did you not...

That means you unfairly and incorrectly judge his performance, because you put all the blame on him.

You think our Dline isn't as good because of him.

You blame our secondary's poor play because of him.

Also it is very unwise to judge a player off one year...how many times do we have to learn this? Especially when he's had a better rookie year than some pro bowl DEs had as rookies...people are just expecting WAY TOO MUCH from Mario.

DEs and DTs develop a bit slow. Same for Olinemen. You can't say after one average rookie year "That guy is a bust." especially after one year...

For people to say Kalu and Babin are better than Weaver and Mario that is just giving up on Mario.

Also Mario is getting his chance. If the 4th year comes and he has not improved...then he will be benched... Babin had his shot, and he didn't capitalize. Kalu had his shot somewhere and didn't capitalize.

Mario is getting his shot. Travis had his shot and didn't make the most of it, and now he's on the bench 2nd string and he has to work his way back up.

All I am saying and have been saying...Give Mario his shot. Especially since his rookie year wasn't as bad as people want you to beleive. He got a vote or two for DROY if I remember correctly.
wow chill bro i never said that and not me alot of texans fans, i love super mario! i think he is great

Old 08-17-2007   #10
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't necessarily agree that Travis had his shot. He had one year in a defensive scheme he wasn't ready for, I believe he was backing up some or most of that (though I can't back that up with facts) and then he had a portion of another season before he was knocked out.

I'm not going to excuse his lack of work-ethic in the past but to say he's had his shot and now he's done, when what I hear for the most part is that he's working hard to get in the game, is probably a little premature.
Old 08-17-2007   #11
wicked_wayz
all blacks

Quote:
wow chill bro i never said that and not me alot of texans fans, i love super mario! i think he is great
wel u better be!!!!

lol just kidding bro, i've always wanted to use that icon lol
Old 08-17-2007   #12
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
When was the last time, (not just last season, I mean EVER, in the entire life of the Texans) that you saw the opponent QB get sacked by the starting DL alone, without a somekind of blitz, of any kind?
This a difficult question to answer because, I first need to know if during the Capers 3-4 years you consider the OLB's part of the DL or not, or if you consider them rushing to be a kind of blitz, or not?
Old 08-17-2007   #13
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post
I don't necessarily agree that Travis had his shot. He had one year in a defensive scheme he wasn't ready for, I believe he was backing up some or most of that (though I can't back that up with facts) and then he had a portion of another season before he was knocked out.

I'm not going to excuse his lack of work-ethic in the past but to say he's had his shot and now he's done, when what I hear for the most part is that he's working hard to get in the game, is probably a little premature.
100% correct. In TJ's first year he was backing up a ProBowler, and an established Veteran, in Gary Walker and Jerry DeLoach respectively, so he didn't get on the field much. In his second year he played in 9 games starting 8 of them until he was hurt and missed the remaining 7 games. In my opinion, this year will be the year to see what he can really do.
Old 08-17-2007   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog View Post
passing downs:

Maybe the most effective combo in passing situations, but it'll never happen
because there is just too many politics involved here. They can't possibly pull Mario in passing situations as this would be an overt admission of his inability to put pressure on the QB.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #15
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here's what you thought 2 days ago:

Quote:
mario = one of the biggest busts in draft history
Keep it consistent, you are being recorded.
Old 08-17-2007   #16
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I read this interesting snippet from Anthony Weaver:

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsupdate/...ans_camp_2007/

So if Weaver is going to go inside on passing plays to allow "speed guys to come in at end" if Mario isn't getting to the QB like we'd like him to should we completely take him out of the game and put Babin and Kalu at DE?

Mario + Weaver at DE = piss poor pass rush

Any suggestions ?
I think Weaver gives us a good balance on passing and running downs. You then bring in an edge speed guy on obvious passing downs. Weaver, being a good player, is still on the field, and hopefully you are getting some pressure from your front 4.

Passing downs:

Mario
Okoye
Weaver
Babin

= Quarterback on the ground.

lol
Old 08-17-2007   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't understand where Weaver got the reputation as a good pass rusher. He's averaged about 3 sacks per season over his career. If it's not about getting contracts on the field, I'd go with a passing down front of:

LDE - Kalu
LDT - Mario
RDT - Okoye
RDE - Babin

Weaver's not one of the 4 best pass rushers on the team. And for a team without a real good pash rush, that's telling.
Old 08-17-2007   #18
Matt
Blogfather

Rep Power: 11 Matt was voted MVPMatt was voted MVPMatt was voted MVPMatt was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I can't understand where Weaver got the reputation as a good pass rusher. He's averaged about 3 sacks per season over his career. If it's not about getting contracts on the field, I'd go with a passing down front of:

LDE - Kalu
LDT - Mario
RDT - Okoye
RDE - Babin

Weaver's not one of the 4 best pass rushers on the team. And for a team without a real good pash rush, that's telling.
I don't like the idea of moving Mario inside, considering his edge speed is pretty much his best pass rushing asset.

I'd go with
LDE- Babin/Kalu (on a rotation)
LDT- Okoye
RDT- Weaver/Travis Johnson
RDE- Mario

Though, ideally, I'd like to see TJ really step up and just win that spot on passing downs outright.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #19
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

LDE - Kalu
LDT - Mario
RDT - Okoye
RDE - Babin

Who said he was? When we signed him word was he was one of the premier run stopping DEs in the league.
Old 08-17-2007   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
You used to see it when you had a healthy Gary Walker and Seth Payne on the field. Since then it has been rare.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read