Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-16-2007   #1
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jacoby Jones starting this week

Didn't see this posted yet...

Quote:
Jacoby joins the ones: Wide receiver Jacoby Jones has had quite a week, and his stellar performance in the preseason opener against Chicago was capped off today by Kubiak with the announcement that Jones has been moved to the number-one offensive unit in some play packages and may see a start at the second receiver spot Saturday against the Arizona Cardinals.

“He just continues to make plays,” Kubiak said. “This kid just handles himself like he’s been doing it a long, long time. We need to study him pretty hard and make sure we go get some more like that because he has made a lot of ground pretty quick.”

Jones knows that he has advanced quickly up the depth chart, but he knows that he isn’t close to proclaiming that he’s “made it” in the NFL.

“I don’t think it will ever just be a time where I’ve made it, because I’m still working to get better,” Jones said. “I hope it’s a long time from now, because I want to keep getting better and better and better.”
Let's all wish him luck this upcoming game and hope he proves to the coaches he deserves to start!

On a side note, Patrick Pass is starting at FB. Is there something wrong with Leach?

EDIT: Rookie mistake, heres the link: http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=3502

Last edited by J-Russ; 08-17-2007 at 01:03 PM.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #2
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan
Default Re: Jacoby Jones starting this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post

Let's all wish him luck this upcoming game and hope he proves to the coaches he deserves to start!

On a side note, Patrick Pass is starting at FB. Is there something wrong with Leach?
wow this is great! go jacoby! andre and jocoby baby!

PS. Yall wanna mess lets mess
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #3
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
yeah, he's in the shop. i heard his bionic elbows were acting up.
Old 08-16-2007   #4
real

Good news...

On a side note: If Walter continues to be non-impressive and Jerome Mathis continues to play well, is it possible that our once proclaimed 2nd reciever winds up 4th on the depth chart ? or lower?
Old 08-16-2007   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I have never personally been impressed with Kevin Walter

Sure he's big, but he's not particularly fast and he's not particularly shifty or quick
Kubiak said his biggest asset was his consistency, but from what I've seen on the field, that seems to be his biggest flaw
Old 08-16-2007   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Link?
Old 08-16-2007   #7
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I have never personally been impressed with Kevin Walter

Sure he's big, but he's not particularly fast and he's not particularly shifty or quick
Kubiak said his biggest asset was his consistency, but from what I've seen on the field, that seems to be his biggest flaw
LOL...
Sponsored links
Old 08-16-2007   #8
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

He played pretty well for me on Madden 08....

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems the worst thing you can receive, as player, is an early statement of faith from Gary Kubiak.

Last year, the top story was how Gary said Wali Lundy just has "that look" in his eyes..that Wali had the stuff of great RBs...that Wali is going to be playing RB in the NFL for a long time.

Fast-forward to the present: Kevin Walter deemed to be Numero Dos by El Capitan Senor Kubiak. And we see the same free-fall that enveloped Wali.

At what point will this coaching staff admit that Jerome Mathis is a pretty doggone good football player? This is starting to bug me. For all the ruckus that T.O. creates in his greatness as a player, can we indulge Mathis just a little bit?

I'm not excusing all-out rebellion and anarchy from Mathis, nor from any other Texans player, but it seems Kubiak has ridden Mathis a little hard considering how much MORE Mathis has contributed than about 90% of the rest of the team.

Outside of DeMeco, no other player but Mathis has performed as if he's tailor made for the NFL every time he steps on the field.

I mean, when was the last time you can remember that Mathis did NOT send opposing special teams units into full blown panic attacks when it came time to punt or kick the ball? They are flat out SCARED to see him get the ball. They almost stand still and just seem to watch him more than try to position themselves to actually tackle him.

At some point, Kubiak is going to have to swallow some pride and let Mathis step up and be a player alongside AJ.

AJ-Jacoby-Mathis-Daniels/Putzier should be on the field together pretty much the entire game with the exception of some 3 or 2 WR sets.

Seems like a fairly good idea to me.
Old 08-16-2007   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

All I can figure is that Kubiak wants to reduce Mathis' time on the field, not allowing him to play many snaps on offense, so that he is available for special teams so we can get good field position.

Maybe Kubiak is trying to protect him, and is using these little side stories he tells the media about Mathis as a way to shield Mathis from the chances of getting injured out there as a WR?

Maybe Kubiak is afraid to admit that he is indeed reserving an entire roster spot for Mathis as just a punt/kick returner? He thus is sending Mathis out onto the field as a WR a few times a game JUST to keep up appearances.

This whole arrangement of why Jerome is not out there regularly as a WR is beginning to rub me the wrong way. The guy is a talent. Use him, please.
Old 08-16-2007   #11
real

I think you need to step away from the ledge, take a deep breath and reach for a nice cool drink of logic...
Old 08-17-2007   #12
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Mathis should just return Kicks this year...

Look at our depth at WR...

Johnson, Walter, McCardell, and Jones...

I think Mathis out of all those guys is our 5th best WR... Why have a average WR when you can have a GREAT returner...

Hester won some games on returing the ball and field position is EXTREMELY important...

As long as we have that kind of depth at WR then Mathis should be returning kicks IMO.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #13
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

For all the ruckus that T.O. creates in his greatness as a player, can we indulge Mathis just a little bit?

Not just "No." but "hell no."
Indulgence went out with Carr, Buchanan, Domanick, Moulds, etc. Everyone works to keep their spot.
Everyone.
If Walter gets beat out by Jones or Mathis (and the signs are sorta pointing to that occurrence) then one of them will start.

I'm not excusing all-out rebellion and anarchy from Mathis, nor from any other Texans player, but it seems Kubiak has ridden Mathis a little hard considering how much MORE Mathis has contributed than about 90% of the rest of the team.

And guess what? Its working. He's in the best shape he's been in since he's been here. He's been as close as he can be to a model player. And he's working his butt off to beat out Walter - which I think he can. And about that 90% you spoke of; have you noticed that most of them have stepped up or are gone?

Outside of DeMeco, no other player but Mathis has performed as if he's tailor made for the NFL every time he steps on the field.

I guess Andre Johnson, Owen Daniel, Charles Spencer, Dunta Robinson, etc. were just slacking or struggling along, huh?

attention gpshafer...
the pharmacy called. your meds are in.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 08-17-2007 at 02:08 AM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #14
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I just hope he makes 3rd sting WR and has a boatload of long kick returns.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #15
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976 View Post
I mean, when was the last time you can remember that Mathis did NOT send opposing special teams units into full blown panic attacks when it came time to punt or kick the ball?
I can think of about 14 games last year alone that he didn't strike fear into opponenets.

But of course, that is your point. It isn't about his ability; it is about his health. The Texans need to figure out how much they can use him and still keep him on the field the whole year.
Old 08-17-2007   #16
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 133685 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Why can't we field two KR guys at the same time? Mathis and Jones. Can't kick it away from both of them. This would also help both of them get snaps at WR. Makes some sense in my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #17
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Why can't we field two KR guys at the same time? Mathis and Jones. Can't kick it away from both of them. This would also help both of them get snaps at WR. Makes some sense in my head.
Well I would think since special teams is a violent 10 seconds, that having two KR in there, one would have to make a block when bodies are coming full speed would not be a wise thing...Thier bodies are not that big and to take an extra hit would most likely be more harm than good...
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976 View Post
This whole arrangement of why Jerome is not out there regularly as a WR is beginning to rub me the wrong way. The guy is a talent. Use him, please.
You're acting like Kubiak has intentionally not played Mathis a bunch. Fact is Mathis was only able to play in two games last year due to injury not coaching decisions. Kubiak has always maintained he wants Mathis on the team as more than just a returner.
Old 08-17-2007   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think I heard Kubiak call it "the zebra" package. WTF does that mean?

I noticed Mathis limping around the other night at practice. It appeared he was favoring his quad muscle. I didn't see him participate in anything after I'd noticed this. It's probably no big deal, but looking at his history and the beginning of this camp, I'm treating him as just a bonus if he's healthy.

Last edited by HOU-TEX; 08-17-2007 at 08:55 AM.
HOU-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #20
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
Mathis should just return Kicks this year...

Look at our depth at WR...

Johnson, Walter, McCardell, and Jones...

I think Mathis out of all those guys is our 5th best WR... Why have a average WR when you can have a GREAT returner...

Hester won some games on returing the ball and field position is EXTREMELY important...

As long as we have that kind of depth at WR then Mathis should be returning kicks IMO.
I dunno...

If McCardell makes this team, I'm not sure I wouldn't want Mathis on the field over him...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read