Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-16-2007   #1
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 41913 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected
Red face Why the hate for ESPN...

I'm just curious as to why so many people on the boards despise ESPN so much.

I mean, I understand that they don't paint the Texans in an especially glowing light, but the truth is we haven't painted ourselves in a real great image in terms of track record imo.

I definitely don't think that ESPN is the end all to be all in any way shape or form. I just don't understand the outright hate that many of you guys associate with ESPN. It's like Bud Adams secretly owns stock in or gives a direct line of newsworthy information directly to them while they're on camera or something.

Perhaps I'm just blind and can't see.

From one Texan to another...help open my eyes to see.

Is it the Vince Young and Reggie Bush coverage?
I can see that! I'm routinely(sp) sickened by their holier-than-thou coverage of Bush.

Don't flame me...I'm only asking! Certainly not trying to defend them but rather understand where all the emotions come from.

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #2
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Why the hate for ESPN...

Mentioning Billy Miller's dropped pass Saturday?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #3
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why the hate for ESPN...

It's not only some of things you mention LYB, but here's some others:

1. Bury Craig Biggio's 3000th hit 45 minutes into Sports Center (and to add insult to injury, behind "Who's Now?")
2. "Who's now?"
3. Same ol rubbish about the Texans without researching the team
4. Yankees v. Red Sox., Yankees v. Red Sox
5. Red Sox v. Yankees, Red Sox v. Yankees.
6. The Bronx is Burning (see Yankees v. Red Sox)
7. College Football coverage (outside of the North East)
8. oh yeah, (Thanks Yankee) Billy Miller??? Are you kidding me??

I have a lot more, but I don't want to get carpal tunnel syndrome...
Old 08-16-2007   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

People hate ESPN because they are the ultimate in lazy journalism. They take whatever the popular media opinion at the time is, and go with it.

For example, the Texans an their OL problem.

if you ever hear them say anything about the Texas, it isALWAYS how bad the OL is.

They also for wahtever reason have always been down on Houston sports teams. No love for the Rockets, no love for the Astros during their world championship runs.

They als oflip flop their stance. Before the draft, VY was being railed on as worse than Cutler, and not a top 10 draft prospect. Then he's suddnely OROY and the Texans are suddenly stupid for passing on him.

That being said, the funny thing about ESPN and the Texans, is that they are usually right. We DO still have a weak OL, Mario still looks worse than either RB or VY, and we still have not had even 1 8-8 or better season.

Everyone wants respect and no one is willing to admit we've done nothing to earn it.

ESPN is a business, a capitalistic company, and thats what everone seems to forget. Why do the Yanks and Red Socks get so much air time? Why do teams like the Texans show up next to never? Because thats what America wants. its the same reason the Cowboys are always predictetd as the next Superbowl contener. They've got to make money, and the only ay to do that is to appeal to the greater interest.

I for one watch ESPN all the time. They are the most consistent sports news out there, and I'l take it over local stuff any day
Old 08-16-2007   #5
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Lazy journalism, over the top reporting, and they have employed both Joe Theisman and Michael Irvin. Not to mention their East coast bias.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Pssssssssssst..... Joe Theisman no longer does football for ESPN. Shhhhhhh!!
Old 08-16-2007   #7
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

They do not follow small market teams. Titans coverage is weak at best and when they do they usually screw up names.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-16-2007   #8
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 74770 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

And how they force feed junk they have a financial interest in down our throats, such as the WNBA.

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #9
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate espn for much the same reasons i hate sports illustrated. They might as well be a local east coast news station. All fans are hungry for information on their teams. If they chopped the time they spent on the red sox and yankees in HALF and divided that half-share among all of the rest of the professional baseball teams, most fans would be thrilled. I know every intimate detail of the yankees' woes this season thanks to espn. I have no idea why the royals are bad this year. Espn also likes to be its own self fulfilling prophecy. They were calling USC a dynasty 18 days before they lost to texas in the national championship. I hate non-objective coverage, I hate know it all prognosticators (i know, irony...but im not a journalist), and i hate that the state of texas gets dumped on everytime the big shots at espn feel obligated to mention us. And for making Reggie Bush a household name.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue View Post
Thanks for the post T-Bill.
1-I've got no problem with your comments on Biggio. I think Bigg is everthing that is RIGHT with baseball but definitely isn't what it's about these days. He's not a big money guy...he's just a tremendous TEAM baseball player.
2-I kind of liked the Who's Now deal. At least it was original. The problem I had with it was that they should've let the fans vote on their top 20 athletes and then they could randomly put them in a bracket. I think Tiger would've still taken it.
3-Not sure what rubbish you mean? Poor OL...poor draft pick record...injury prone...poor decision making QB (don't mean Schaub)...poor record...all-world leaders in sacks...
Dude sometimes the truth hurts us all. We're getting better but they are a national news organization and they're expected to report "news." Not same old same old. No offense intended with that comment Bill.
4-6 - No problems with your comments here.
7-What don't you like about their college coverage? I don't follow.
8-I didn't hear anything on Billy Miller. Guess I missed it.
2. If they would have worked in "Who's Now?" at the end of SportsCenter I wouldn't have a problem with it, but let's report on sports first, and then add the fluff.
3. You are spot on with the "rubbish" that I was referring to... "The O-line", etc.. Did they report that the O-line gave up only 2 sacks against a good Bears Defense (O sacks with Starters in)??
7. I should have been clearer. I like their College Game Day pre-game show, but the way SportsCenter reports the scores, you can definitely pick-up on the Northeast bias that exists in journalism.
8. Yeah, they reported that the Texans' Billy Miller dropped a pass -or- the like (I can't remember the specifics now).
Old 08-16-2007   #11
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
SWT you hate EVERYTHING!

Oh yeah...

LOL
yeah...i really do. you didn't ask if it was valid hate...you just asked why i hated this particular thing. I am kind of a glass half empty guy

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
Old 08-16-2007   #12
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Quote:
Tell me this...
Do you honestly think that anyone would write letters in favor of girls softball, the little league world series, soccer, WNBA or hockey if ESPN dropped them? I don't.

They're just trying to keep a fledgling(sp) sport a float.

BTW I don't watch WNBA, just playing devil's advocate.

Edit: And FWIW...I CAN'T STAND STEPHEN SMITH!!!
He's like nails on a chalkboard!!!

i would speak out if they killed the little league world series. I think its great to let kids have a dream. They put it on espn 2, and i think its great for kids to have one moment they can brag about in their lives. I was a little league baseball kid. I dreamed of williamsport. Yeah, I'd write a letter.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Old 08-16-2007   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

"Quite Frankly" I don't care what you think about me!!

Signed,
Stephen A. Smith.
Old 08-16-2007   #14
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
yeah...i really do. you didn't ask if it was valid hate...you just asked why i hated this particular thing. I am kind of a glass half empty guy
When your a Texnas fan the glass is always less then half empty s oooo

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #15
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Rep Power: 74770 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tell me this...
Do you honestly think that anyone would write letters in favor of girls softball, the little league world series, soccer, WNBA or hockey if ESPN dropped them? I don't.

They're just trying to keep a fledgling(sp) sport a float.

BTW I don't watch WNBA, just playing devil's advocate.

Edit: And FWIW...I CAN'T STAND STEPHEN SMITH!!!
He's like nails on a chalkboard!!!
No, I think you have mistaken ESPN for some nonprofit organization. They are trying to make money.
For example; if ESPN had a mixed martial arts program, how much do you thing MMA coverage would increase on the network.

The Highwaymen
Old 08-16-2007   #16
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate em because they jettisoned lumberjack competitions and strongman contests for 6 more daily hours of Sportscenter .
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #17
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Quote:
I guess that I don't understand the link between ESPN and the WNBA. Are you saying that they own the WNBA?

I understand their money making ventures. But I wasn't aware the the WNBA was a part of that.

I also don't understand why you'd hate self promotion. If you owned a pastry shop...wouldn't you advertise pastries? Why would you want to advertise Egg McMuffins?
I don’t think the amount of time a “sport” has on Sports Center should be determined by whether or not ESPN has a contract with that league.

The Highwaymen

Last edited by Heath Shuler; 08-16-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-16-2007   #18
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan

i personally love espn , its the only channel i watch, i love pti, 1st and 10, nfl live and sportscenter! i dont understand how ppl can not love espn it gives u news in a fun intersting way! if u dont like it go read the newspaper

PS. Yall wanna mess lets mess
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

ESPN caters to the masses, so they dilute the product accordingly. If you want the social issue side of things, ESPN does great. The "E" is for entertainment, and as such, they pander with the stories of the day. TO has always been a good source, and lately it is the scandals of each sport that leads the show.

But if you want truly objective and critical analysis of a sport like the NFL, then you have to go to a better source like the NFL Network. While you won't get highlights of the hot-dog eating contest or find out who is the coolest on the planet, you will get pro football specific news, which is all I really care about anyway.
Old 08-16-2007   #20
real

Yep...NFLN is where it's at...

I hardly have time to watch any T.V at all, but when I do I'm normally watching something on NFLN....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read