Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-06-2004   #1
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected
Default the coin flip

I've been meaning to ask this question for awhile....

Do you like it when we get the ball first or when we get it first in the second half?

I actually prefer to get it first in the second half, just because I think it's an advantage at the end of the half when you know you'll be getting the ball first. Say you are down by 10. If you can get a quick 3, you know you have a chance to tie it up without giving the ball up.
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004   #2
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

I like getting first in the 2nd half too because you can set the tempo for the last half of play and if you are down by 10 it can turn into down by 3 and if you are up by 10 it can turn into being up by 17. That's just me.....

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I prefer to get it in the first. If we play like we can and get the lead in the first half.. we should be able to hold it in the second half.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004   #4
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I like it in the first. Set the tempo by scoring first. Then they are playing catchup the entire game.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004   #5
Panther5407
All Pro

Really it doesn't matter to me but mly coaches have gotten a trick through in a couple of our games. If you differ and someone decides to kick the first half, you can get the ball the first and second half. Its fun using this little trick against teams not paying attention to what they think. I saw this happen in a couple of college and NFL games this year.
Old 11-06-2004   #6
dan7
Veteran

I'd prefer the ball in the first half....to set the tempo of the game.
dan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004   #7
|The.Brand0n|
Rookie

Default I prefer....

1. Losing the coin flip....

2. Making them go 3 and out....

3. Score....

It's like having the ball first in BOTH the 1st and the 3rd.
|The.Brand0n| is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2004   #8
TheTim5125
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TheTim5125

IDK if a my team can score on the first possesion and then stop the other team i feel you can easily take the heart right out the opponent from the start. But the second alf is good in case your down or something... Its a coin flip... lol get it
Old 11-06-2004   #9
Dhedluk
Rookie

Before I used to like it when we got the ball in the second half because the team didn't seem to be sure of themselves. It gave them a chance to see what they were up against. But now that they're starting to click and more plays are being made I enjoy watching them get the ball first and dashing any hopes the other team might have with a strong start.

It's nice watching them come out from the start with the 4th quarter mentality in the first quarter for a change.
Dhedluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004   #10
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 88272 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always thought having the ball first in the second 1/2 is the way to go. If I won the flip I would always defer.

You have the lead, you can build on it.

You're behind...you have the best chance to change the momentum.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read