Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-15-2007   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Free safety/strong safety

Today's Chronicle says Kubes decided to leave CC Brown at free & start Jason Simmons at strong. I thought Brown was a natural SS and I looked forward to what he could do now that Earl is out. Hutchins imo earned a shot at FS with his game play. Nothing against Simmons; but I'd be disappointed if I was Hutchins. I know Kubes will start the best two, but this did catch me off guard.
Old 08-15-2007   #2
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan
Default Re: Free safety/strong safety

well we had no idea what was coming i mean this caught everyone off gaurd with earls injury kubi needed to work something up and fast
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonFan View Post
well we had no idea what was coming i mean this caught everyone off gaurd with earls injury kubi needed to work something up and fast
But did you think Simmons was better for SS than CC?
Old 08-15-2007   #4
real

Since we don't have anyone proven that can respectably play FS for us other than C.C I understand the move...I really wanted to see CC back at SS , but I can understand not wanting Von Hutchins or Simmons to compete to be our last line of defense...I could see Von Hutchins making mistakes and I can see Simmons just being physically beat....often...

The competition now is perfect...

If Von Hutchins steps up and proves he can play FS Simmons slides out and
C.C slides down....

We all ready know Simmons is going to atleast be respectable at SS...

I think they have been looking to move C.C back to SS for a while now though....That's why there was all the talk about finding a play maker at the FS position and that is why they jumped the gun and almost made an irrational move...The fact that Kubiak said "C.C is a natural SS" let me know we were on the same page....
Old 08-15-2007   #5
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Today's Chronicle says Kubes decided to leave CC Brown at free & start Jason Simmons at strong. I thought Brown was a natural SS and I looked forward to what he could do now that Earl is out. Hutchins imo earned a shot at FS with his game play. Nothing against Simmons; but I'd be disappointed if I was Hutchins. I know Kubes will start the best two, but this did catch me off guard.
That's two of us. Matt Stevens part II.
Old 08-15-2007   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

this is what the preseason is for...finding out what you got when guys go down.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #7
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
C.C. Brown has sucked for two seasons at FS. He canot, will not ever be able to paly in space. Watching flounder around another sixteen games is only going to confirm all of this. Giving him more reps so he might have an epiphany of some sort ain't going to work. He can not make palys. He bites on fakes and he sucks as a FS.
Old 08-15-2007   #8
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
C.C. Brown has sucked for two seasons at FS. He canot, will not ever be able to paly in space. Watching flounder around another sixteen games is only going to confirm all of this. Giving him more reps so he might have an epiphany of some sort ain't going to work. He can not make palys. He bites on fakes and he sucks as a FS.
C.C doesn't bite on fakes...

He's not great at coverage and he doesn't have great insticnts as far as pass coverage and timing goes...

So because of this he over compensates by trying to keep everything in front of him and make safe plays...He doesn't take risk and because of his 'safe' play WR's can get some easy pickings...But at the same time he's not normally going to be caught in a position where he gives up a big play...

It's like a slow guy trying to hold a quick guy in basketball....The slower guy is going to back off the quicker guy because de doesn't want the ball handler to just drive past him and dunk...So he'll back off and make him eran it with his jumper...If you're connecting on those jumpers then we're just going to be in trouble....
Old 08-15-2007   #9
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
But did you think Simmons was better for SS than CC?
no way i was just saying we cant be mad at kubi this must have been hard for him
Old 08-15-2007   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

I wished I could say I feel better about our D backs but I do not. It is still early and maybe someone will step up.
Old 08-15-2007   #11
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Listen to the man....

This is a preseason experiment. Just like seeing if Clark is better than Charlie Anderson. Remember in OTAs, how Kubiak was going on about how Anderson and Orr were slugging it out for that OLB spot. Not a single word about Danny Clark being in the mix that I remember. Yet, here he is starting in P/S game #2 over the two guys coach had been raving and raving about.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 08-15-2007 at 05:40 PM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Listen to the man....

This is a preseason experiment. Just like seeing if Clark is better than Charlie Anderson. Remember in OTAs, how Kubiak was going on about how Anderson and Orr were slugging it out for that OLB spot. Not a single word about Danny Clark being in the mix that I remember. Yet, here he is starting in P/S game #2 over the two guys coach had been raving and raving about.
And to continue on...

Remember when Danny Clark was signed and he said he wanted to come to a place where he'd have a chance to start.

What I found interesting was Diles saying that Danny and Demeco were spending a lot of time helping him out and that the three of them hung out a lot together.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #13
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
C.C doesn't bite on fakes...

He's not great at coverage and he doesn't have great insticnts as far as pass coverage and timing goes...

So because of this he over compensates by trying to keep everything in front of him and make safe plays...He doesn't take risk and because of his 'safe' play WR's can get some easy pickings...But at the same time he's not normally going to be caught in a position where he gives up a big play...
Shhhh... don't tell Lee Evans and the Buffalo Bills...
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #14
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the idea with leaving CC at FS and putting Simmons at SS is to cause as little disruption as possible. This way only one starter changes.

I do believe however that if Von Huthcins makes an irresistable case to be the FS that Kubiak would not hesitate in making that change.
Old 08-15-2007   #15
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like Kubiak fooled the Sports Xchange "experts" too...

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/HOU/10296476

Quote:
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
CB Von Hutchins is appearing to make a seamless transition to free safety. He was playing free safety with the second team in the first preseason game against the Bears when he caught an interception and returned it 20 yards. Hutchins' versatility could end up playing a bigger role this week now that Glenn Earl is out for a significant amount of time with a left foot injury. Hutchins is running with the second team and could move to starting free safety while C.C. Brown moves to his more natural position of strong safety.
GK fooled them too with his experiment.

I found this interesting too....
Quote:
LB Zac Diles has good athleticism and could be the biggest surprise of the draft class. He is backing up DeMeco Ryans and led the defense for the final three quarters (is that right?) of the preseason game. He finished with a team-leading six tackles and one pass defensed.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 08-15-2007 at 08:15 PM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #16
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Looks like Kubiak fooled the Sports Xchange "experts" too...

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/HOU/10296476

GK fooled them too with his experiment.

I found this interesting too....
Gary is just such a kidder isnt he ...
Old 08-15-2007   #17
Matt
Blogfather

Rep Power: 11 Matt was voted MVPMatt was voted MVPMatt was voted MVPMatt was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
That's two of us. Matt Stevens part II.
I have a basset hound that could play safety better than Matt Stevens ever did.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #18
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

<--- !!

War Jason Simmons.

Old 08-15-2007   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we're so big on Simmons, lets just play him, but still use Hutchins at FS.

I don't like CC at FS. I don't like CC at FS. I don't like CC at FS. Are you seeing a pattern here?

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #20
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
If we're so big on Simmons, lets just play him, but still use Hutchins at FS.

I don't like CC at FS. I don't like CC at FS. I don't like CC at FS. Are you seeing a pattern here?
Well, realistically, Simmons is probably not good enough to man the position long-term. He's been in the NFL for a decade, and he's had chances to earn a spot. He fills his role very well, though, and he is a hard-working, stand-up quality guy. Every football team needs a few guys like Simmons, and they go unheralded for the work they do. I'm a big Simmons fan, but he's not the long-term (even a full season) answer at S (any S). He hits HARD, though

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read